Help

The VENT

Complaining about the Job

>

anna

Complaining about the Job
Old 03-08-2019, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If one shops at stores ,where corporate owners support the poor treatment of employees and support anti union political action,one should not complain to others about their teacher job.

If one wants to buy junk at Hobby Lobby and Walmart and then eat and drink junk at Chick fil a, do it but don't complain anymore about the teaching job.

These complainers support the destruction of their own profession and their health.

Vent over

anna is online now   Reply With Quote
educ8torsrock
Old 03-08-2019, 09:32 AM
This message has been deleted by educ8torsrock.

Zia

Old 03-08-2019, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think what anna is saying is people who support businesses that treat employees poorly, better not complain about teaching conditions.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I missed the point, too...
Old 03-08-2019, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I first read this post, I had no clue what the poster was talking about. I do not shop at the stores mentioned because I do not agree with their philosophies, but there are those who do, and that's their choice. I don't see what that has to do with the right to complain about teaching conditions, especially since so many teachers are fortunate to have a job that pays the bills, and can't readily get up and change. I also feel that sometimes, behind the complaints, are the seeds of change, which in some places is desperately needed. I don't necessarily feel finding things to complain about weakens the profession, it can strengthen it if done in the right way. And this is the Vent Board. And I don't think anyone who complains is destroying their health. Venting here probably does just the opposite. JMHO, but where people choose to shop or what businesses they choose to support does not mean they are supporting the destruction of their own profession and their health.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I think I understand her point.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will drive by Walmart to go to a store that is owned by a local family and treats their employees well. The family is very generous to our township giving a lot to our volunteers, our schools and other community groups. The food there is a little more expensive, but I think it is the right thing to do to. I will reward the businesses that treat people like I would want to be treated with my business.
I know a single mom with 4 kids, all adopted, who worked for Walmart and had a rough time. She finally was hired by the store I mentioned above and it has changed their lives. She now owns her own condo, and has paid vacation days and they can enjoy some entertainment together. If we try to save some money by going to stores like Walmart, in the end it will cost us more by having to pay more in taxes for families that can not provide enough for themselves.
To add to this the family who owns the store did not get a tax break under the new bill. The Waltons got millions.
My grandmother called it, penny wise and pound foolish.

As for the other stores. I think it is different. It is about my personal decision to not give my hard earned money to any company who uses their profits to stop equality and fair treatment for all people. That has nothing to do with being a teacher and more about who you are as a person.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-08-2019, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
As for the other stores. I think it is different. It is about my personal decision to not give my hard earned money to any company who uses their profits to stop equality and fair treatment for all people. That has nothing to do with being a teacher and more about who you are as a person.
Question: if you're pro-union, you need to be pro ALL unions? No?

educ8torsrock

NJ Teacher
Old 03-08-2019, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Agree! I deleted my comment, at least until the OP comes on here to clarify.

Zia, no need for a large meme as a hand slap. In all of my experiences, teachers are far from banding together. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, and there are thousands of young graduates vying for our jobs. Those teachers will jump through those hundreds of hoops, until they can't take it anymore and quit. Around here though, they'll be replaced without a second thought. Things are very different in other parts of our country.
educ8torsrock is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm simply venting about those who complain about their teaching job and yet shop to support those corporations that actively work towards weakening womens' rights and our largely female teaching profession. It's taking two steps forward and ten steps backwards.

If a reader does not fit that description then the vent isn't about that reader.

Zia

Old 03-08-2019, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Zia, no need for a large meme as a hand slap.
I like memes. Not sure why you're offended by it.

travelingfar

Confused
Old 03-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't understand why teachers shouldn't complain about their jobs if they shop at Hobby Lobby, Chick Fil A, or Walmart. One has nothing to do with the other.

Teachers are fed up with testing, dealing with difficult parents, useless professional development, and many other things. They should be able to complain regardless of where they shop.

Last edited by travelingfar; 03-09-2019 at 04:18 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Zia...
Old 03-08-2019, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Question: if you're pro-union, you need to be pro ALL unions? No?

The store I referred to is a Shop Rite and they have a union.

Walmart does not have a union and is against unions
Hobby Lobby does not have unions and is against unions
Chick fil a is mostly non union

I am not sure what you are asking. I am pro union, but if a store or its owners are doing something that I am opposed to I will give my business and money to another company. If I see any racism by the owners, workers or other forms of discrimination then I will choose to not shop there. Sometimes I think you need to choose your battles. Fight for equality, fight for unions. Nice when you can do both, but otherwise...do the best you can.

chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 03-08-2019, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think I understand anna's vent, but as far I'm concerned, I never complained about any stores nor my job either. I just wish I was rich and don't have to work at all, ha!
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

chipmonkey
Old 03-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I am not sure what you are asking.
I'm not either, to be honest! I guess what I meant was, if you are pro-teacher's union does that equate to be a proponent of all unions, thus boycotting Walmart, et. al?

ConnieWI

Just One Thing...
Old 03-08-2019, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Walmart is not only against unions, but also public education. They are very vocal about private schools, charter schools, and vouchers.

I have not shopped at Walmart in probably twenty years.

Check the ALEC website to find out other stores that do not support public education.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 03-08-2019, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Walmart gives millions each to teachers for their classroom! Hobby Lobby is family owned and has a Christian value, which this country needs more of, Chick Fil A also has great values and the later 2 companies have great support for families and schools.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

brooks56

Complaining
Old 03-08-2019, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am a retired teacher who taught in an area where there were no unions. I shopped at all those places and think I was still entitled to complain about my teaching job. Walmart gave 100 gift certificates to teachers at one time while I was teaching. I live in a rural area and don't have a lot of choice of stores and Target is 45 minutes away.

Many people who shop at these places like the Christian values of Hobby Lobby and Chick fil a. Does that mean you can't be a Christian and complain about teaching?

I think it is a personal choice for teachers where they shop. Circumstances are different for everyone.
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-08-2019, 11:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The other day there was a substitute complaining about having her assignment switched. She taught for 35 years in an exclusive private school and deserved better than this (according to her). I think she got sent home as I covered one of her afternoon classes.

As a general rule I dislike having assignments switched, but sometimes it is unavoidable. I may have signed up to teach middle school reading but get switched to boys phys-Ed as I am the only male substitute that day.

Last edited by SubMan; 03-08-2019 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: Word use
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I LOVE my job
Old 03-09-2019, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

So, I guess I'll stop at my Chic-fil-a for lunch before I get my week's groceries at Walmart. They say you should never shop on an empty stomach.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-09-2019, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Yes unfortunately the junk out there is the only choice for some consumers. To have choice and still choose Walmart and other places that promote the destruction of the teaching profession...well that points to a problem I'm glad I do not have.

imcrazedw4

I'm not understanding this thread
Old 03-09-2019, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My DD works at Chick-fil-a while going to college. They treat her VERY well and she makes above minimum wage (not bad for a teenager's first job). She's been able to save quite a bit of $$ and should have a nice stash of cash to get her started once she graduates and starts her career. I'm grateful for Chick-fil-a.
imcrazedw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-09-2019, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

imcrazed, the stance they've taken on gay marriage/equality is why folks like me boycott Chick-Fil-A. It's not anything to do with how they treat employees.

LINK

jazzer

Old 03-09-2019, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I think that no matter what stance a company has on anything is not going to change by people boycotting them because not enough people will do that to make a difference. I donít think any of those big companies have lost a significant amount of revenue due to people boycotting based on political beliefs.

I do or donít shop at certain places based on my like or dislike for the product or environment. I try to avoid Walmart because the one near me seems to be kind of low class and dirty. I sometimes have to go there if it is the only place near me that has a specific product I need.

I donít eat at Chick Fil A because I donít care for their food.

I think it is noble to boycott places who have political stances you donít agree with.but at some point there may be nowhere left to shop if that philosophy is used for every business. It is impossible to keep up with all of that.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

imcrazedw4

Old 03-09-2019, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Zia- My daughter works with several gay people at Chick-fil-a. It's not an issue for them or anyone at the store. I know people have their political/religious beliefs and look at the issue at a macro-level, but I just wanted to point out at the micro-level, it looks much different. You do you, girl. I'm not trying to judge either way.
LaLa3232

LaLa3232

boycots & complaining
Old 03-09-2019, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Not sure where this thread is going but here is a good resource about when boycotts have worked and when they haven't: It's always worth it to take a stand if something is wrong:

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...htmlstory.html

Zia

Old 03-09-2019, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

It's the marriage equality issue. I didn't say they have discriminatory hiring policies.

imcrazedw4

brooks56
Old 03-09-2019, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

You are correct. People only look at issues through their own circumstances and don't pause to consider the realities of others' lives. It seems that everything must be black or white these days. Common sense and respect of others is quickly becoming a quaint thing of the past. Everyone must be enraged about the same thing the same way. Smh.

Zia

Old 03-09-2019, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Quote:
Common sense and respect of others is quickly becoming a quaint thing of the past. Everyone must be enraged about the same thing the same way. Smh.
imcrazed, I'm truly sorry if my posts led to this conclusion. I did not mean to indicate I believe everyone should be "enraged" about the same issues. I was only trying to let you know why some won't support Chick-Fil-A. Not that everyone must boycott them. And I didn't mean to be disrespectful, either. I try very hard to be factual and not make personal attacks.

jazzer

Old 03-09-2019, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

In response to the guest poster who posted the article about when boycotts worked and didn’t. I just skimmed it, but it looks like boycotts worked when places were boycotted by celebrities or well known people, or everyday people who used a lot of social media to spread the word about an issue.

Just not doing business with a place but not doing anything else about it won’t help much I don’t think. That will just help you run out of places you can do business with.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I think
Old 03-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

one must look at the business and how the business is run.

A. Do you like the product being served?
B. Do you like the way you're treated in the business?
C. Do you like the business environment? (friendly, clean, well organized, attractive)
D. Do you like the pricing/or is the atmosphere worth the extra cost?'
E. Is the location convenient/or is it worth going out of your way?

I dislike the idea that a person is going to "punish" a business for their political or religious convictions with a boycott.

Zia

Old 03-09-2019, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Quote:
I dislike the idea that a person is going to "punish" a business for their political or religious convictions with a boycott.
I look to the Montgomery Bus Boycott. Effective, non-violent, and keeps my conscience clear.

I look beyond how a business affects me and look wider.

PrivateEyes

My thoughts
Old 03-09-2019, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

above would be exactly what happened with the Montgomery bus boycott.

The product and service were unacceptable, so people chose other alternatives as a means of inducing change in that business. Moreover, the boycott might not have been successful without the Supreme Court decision, which came before the city of Montgomery conceded and the boycott was lifted.

Zia

Old 03-09-2019, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

But random citizens drove the courts to the judgement.

Zia

Old 03-09-2019, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Really, though, PE, I think we are saying the same thing. People have to decide for themselves. Maybe my boycotts don't hurt the business I choose not to patronize. Maybe it spurs change. Either way, I feel good about how I spend my money, as should everyone. Or just not care. That's up to individuals to decide, too.

I'm not saying EVERYONE MUST DO AS I DO.

PrivateEyes

There we agree
Old 03-09-2019, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

people have to decide for themselves. And luckily for us, in America we get to do so. And I agree that everyone should be satisfied with they way they spend their time and their money. And that your choice is your choice and that my choice is my choice. We agree on quite a bit actually.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 03-09-2019, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I "just say no" to Walmart's privatization agenda and I voice my opinion with my dollars by not giving them to Walmart. Period. the 2 dollars saved there is a million arrows pointed right at the hearts of teachers for sure.

I didnt realize Hobby Lobby was anti-union but I already didnt shop there because they are against women reproductive rights as basic human rights and I choose not to contribute to a slippery slope that leads to a Ceausescu-esque America. I have had people chuckle at me about this one and say that I am nuts and that as a poor teacher I should get my savings where I can but no way.

I do think that to some extent we all need to stick together as an American working class and say that we will stand (with our dollars) against the systematic destruction of the middle class and our right to join together to have our voices be heard. So yeah, I get your frustration. vent away.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 03-09-2019 at 03:59 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

brooks56

Interesting
Old 03-09-2019, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I skimmed the article on boycotts and found it very interesting. A few years ago when people were boycotting Chick Fil A, ours had people lined up in counterprotest. They served more people that day than usual. I do agree that people should spend their money where they feel comfortable and not be told they can't complain about teaching if they support certain stores. As it has been stated there are some areas don't have a lot of choices.

I don't eat at Chick Fil A often, but they seem to have the most pleasant well mannered employees of any fast food restaurant around here. They are also one of the first places to give food out in emergencies. With that said, I am fine with people not eating there who support gay marriage.
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Pe
Old 03-09-2019, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Quote:
people have to decide for themselves. And luckily for us, in America we get to do so. And I agree that everyone should be satisfied with they way they spend their time and their money. And that your choice is your choice and that my choice is my choice. We agree on quite a bit actually.

random white text

anna

Old 03-10-2019, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Thanks for the input everyone.