Help

The VENT

Share Your Student Teaching Experiences

>

Singfree

Share Your Student Teaching Experiences
Old 03-17-2019, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm currently student teaching. It's a nightmare placement with a CT who doesn't want to take the time with me, uses body language that shows frustration towards me, and is making it very difficult for me to teach in her room and be successful.

I also got the supervisor none of my classmates wanted. I've brought up things that have happened, trying to just state objective facts that show the lack of support I'm getting from my CT, but my supervisor is choosing to ignore it. My CT and supervisor are very friendly with each other and speak about me in a way that makes me feel like they've sided with each other.

I'm hoping to survive! It's been a big source of stress and anxiety.

What was your student teaching experience like?

Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 03-17-2019, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish you well. Experiences can be a hit or miss. I mean we'd all hope things go well, but of course not always. I got good evaluations on all of them.

Did 4 terms because I earned 2 credentials (multiple subjects and mild/moderate special ed). Here's a brief summary of each in the order I did them:

Mild/Moderate 1: Gr K-6

OK, not my favorite experience. Nice school, the CT had a solemn-type personality. I learned something, but not as much as I probably could have.

Mild/Moderate 2: Gr K-6

Great, my favorite out of ALL 4 by far! Nice school. CT was one of those genuinely wonderful, unforgettable ladies. She's the type of person people hope to have for their CT. She was hard to beat. She genuinely wanted me to succeed, very kind, and went a little above and beyond...at least she acted like it during the time and that's all I ask.

Multiple Subjects 1: Forgot which of these 2 I did first, but I think this was the order.

3rd gr class. Nice school. CT was nice enough. It went well, nothing more, nothing less.

Multiple Subjects 1:

6th gr class. Kind of bad area. I really didn't want 6th grade, but stuck it out and pulled through. CT was an odd duck. Said some questionable comments here and there about his ethics about things/life. Overall good, except for the VERY last week and it's a good thing it happened in the last week. He did something derogatory (towards me) when he found out something, so ALL thanks and praises to God that I didn't have to endure it for but a couple more days, otherwise, I might have had to change assignments.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

You are paying
Old 03-17-2019, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For this rotten experience but you will come out stronger with learning how to rise above crummy personalities from working with these two.

Another thing, IF you assert yourself you will not only gain more self-respect and confidence but they may just back off.

Let me think about this a little more, I'll give you the exact words and tone to use. DO NOT speak of this experience to ANYONE at that school.

Keep your head held high, shoulders back, spray on a bit extra perfume each day. Remember the children will SEE what A##### these people are.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Frustrating...
Old 03-17-2019, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My student teaching experience was frustrating. I student taught for a semester in a 5th grade classroom that was departmentalized. However, I student taught with both teachers because they taught different subjects, and that way I could teach all subjects. Both were very type A, perfectionistic, critical, etc. One was much for understanding than the other. That one didn't give me any feedback, was not critical to my face (just on the evaluation forms they filled out), and acted like everything was fine. The other was critical to my face and hated my guts. However, I think she was like that to everyone. As an example, she would always say to me in front of the kids, "Why are you doing it that way? Miss ________ (her prior student teacher) always did it like this." However, one time, she said to me, "Why are you doing it that way? Miss Teacherbee (my name) always did it this way." So, I think she just did it to be critical. She kicked me out of the room once, too! The university said the last week, I should be observing other teachers. She was pissed about this, she wanted me to be teaching (even though I was full time from the first day of the semester). Well, I had scheduled times with teachers, asked what worked best for them, how long they wanted me in there, etc. There ended up being about 30 minutes one day where I had no observations scheduled. I returned to the classroom right as they were switching classes. I told her I didn't have anything scheduled in the afternoon and asked if she needed help with anything and she said no, that I should just sit in the back and be quiet. That's what I did. In the middle of her lesson (the students didn't even know I was in the room!) she started yelling at me, "Miss ______ what are you doing in here? Get out of here, right now. If you are supposed to be observing, go observe. Geez, just walk into another classroom and observe for crying out loud. Leave right now!" I was mortified!

Funny, though, they were so critical, but they wrote an unbelievable amazing letter of recommendation for me, which was crazy.

I didn't know my supervisor well, as he was in charge of our university's grad programs and just started this year and I was the only undergraduate on his supervision list. However, I knew the director of student teaching well because she was my teacher in middle school! I told her what was going on and she told him. He seemed to understand and he thought I was doing great, so even though they gave me very critical evaluations, he disregarded it and I got an A and a glowing recommendation from him as well. I showed him the letter of recommendation they wrote for me, too, and he was shocked that they would be so critical on their evaluation form of me and then write such glowing things in a letter of recommendation.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. Student teaching is hard because you are a guest in someone else's classroom. You want to do things how you learned them or how you think is best, you want to try things out, etc., but you often can't because you are a guest in someone else's classroom. Even if they aren't using best practices, you still have to use what they are using. You often don't get a whole lot of freedom because of that. You'll get through it and get a job and be teaching in your own classroom before you know it. You just have to jump through the hoops. (((((HUGS)))))
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-17-2019, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Terrible. The university had a rule that students weren’t supposed to be placed in looped classes and I got placed in a looped class. Of course, I didn’t know better and by the time the university learned the school had lied and put me there it was too late to move me.

Nothing I did was good enough even though my university supervisor was clear that I excelled. He finally flat out told my CT that she was unreasonable and if she gave me anything other than an A he’d force her to change it.

Oh, and her and the principal lost all the perks they got for having a student teacher because they lied and put me in the looped class and blamed me. Dudes, I’m not the ones who lied.

I refuse to teach 2nd grade because it was such a horrible experience.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
AnonManABCD

AnonManABCD

Long story short
Old 03-17-2019, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had one awful student teaching experience too.

The teacher I worked for was set to retire just a handful of months after my placement would end. Each day, I left my mom's house at 5:30am and took an hour long city bus ride to get to the school where I did my student teaching. The teacher reminded me every single day that if I was ever late, he'd see me get kicked out of the program. The first day, I watched him teach all of his (high school Spanish) classes. At the end of Day 1, he gave me his books and said it was now my turn. Each morning, I'd meet him in the teacher's lounge and show him the lessons and what I was going to do with his classes. He pretended to pay attention. Then, he'd say to me in Spanish that his cat was sick again and he'd see me tomorrow. Since he was a smoker, it wasn't strange for anyone to see him get into his car and drive away....probably just taking a cigarette break. He never came back to the building. I worked hard that placement and the sweat and tears were a daily thing. Only one of the 5 times the university observer came did I get a positive review from her. He on the other hand kept saying that he hoped I would grow my wings. On the last day, the university observer took me to another room and told me I would probably not pass. I was devastated. I told her I was doing my absolute best. I begged her to allow me to record my classes later that day and she could watch that before making the final decision. She called me that night asking me about the teacher I worked for. She had no idea he left the building and wasn't observing me or giving me feedback. As a young teacher, I had no idea that just being given books and a 'good luck, I'm leaving' was not what student teaching was supposed to be. She said she would have to pass me based on some abnormalities in my placement but wasn't convinced I was ready.

The second placement I did was at the school where I already did almost 2 years of practicum and a little practice lessons here & there. They were very very happy to have me student teaching there and I worked very hard (as I had during my practicum there). Graduating from university, I waited a few months and then got a permanent job at that second school. 20 years later, I'm still there and enjoying it!

I have a Spanish/English dictionary that I bought before the first (awful) placement. I wrote notes in it and I'm sure there were fallen tears that warped the pages. I look back at those notes once in a while. What a distant memory.

Hang in there and give it your all. Even 20+ years of teaching and I don't feel that I'm perfect. There's no such thing as a perfect teacher. It's about constantly learning how to get better and better.

lisa53

Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am sorry you are having a bad experience. It can be very challenging for both student teacher and CT to spend a term teaching together. Not every CT is cut out for the job of helping and mentoring a beginning teacher. They have to share their space, be willing to plan well ahead, be transparent about all their decisions, give up some teaching time to someone who may or may not be competent, allow them to make mistakes (and correct them), encourage them....and the list goes on. It’s a lot of work! Usually there is little or no tangible reward. Often the CT had this “dumped” on them. Not excusing your CT...just trying to help you see how she might be perceiving the situation.

I had almost no experience student teaching...I just observed a few classes and did one practice lesson during my Peace Corps training. But over my 40 years of teaching I had a number of student teachers. I probably learned as much from each of them as they learned from me! The most successful ones took the initiative to speak up to me when I did something unexpected or didn’t involve them enough. They asked the tough questions and were willing to put me on the spot ( politely, of course) when needed. But I tried hard to be open to their thoughts, ideas, and perceptions.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 03-17-2019, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and advice!

I can see I'm not the only one who's been in a difficult and challenging placement.

I was under the impression if we ended up in a bad match, the university would try to place us somewhere else (if it couldn't be worked out).

I've reported the challenges that are making it difficult to meet requirements, but it's like I'm talking into the ether.

Last edited by Singfree; 03-17-2019 at 10:06 AM..

readandweep

Student teaching
Old 03-17-2019, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Nevermind. PPs gave great advice.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 03-17-2019, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

How much longer do you have left? Shouldn’t be too much longer now!

One thing I liked when I took over is that my CT worked down the hall for long chunks during the day. She said she felt ST needed to learn how they would handle things without someone else to fall back on. I felt like those times were very beneficial- and it helped take some of the stress of feeling watched away. Now, I try to be as uninvolved as possible in the room as possible when my ST takes over. Would this be a possible option for you? Sounds like body language/interactions is causing a lot of additional stress.

UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Mine was long ago
Old 03-17-2019, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

and it was a great experience. Not bragging, just want to share. A college peer was also placed at my school in the same grade level. She also thought her experience was great and loved her CT.

All that to say--I hated my colleague's CT (and she hated mine.) I am still not sure how well our supervisor knew these women and made perfect, ideal matches or if we just got lucky.

I know that my ST experience would have been miserable if the roles were switched. And my CT would have eaten her alive--totally different personalities, life philosophies, teaching styles, room arrangements, you name it--

So sometimes it is just a bad pairing. Sometimes the CT may be going through something personal in her career or home life. Sometimes she might be misreading you.

I'm sorry it is like this for you.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 03-17-2019, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hi UVAgrl928,

I wish that was an option. My CT is making it very difficult for me to plan lessons. We'll discuss what's on the pacing guide for the next week, then she'll tell me very last minute that we're doing something completely different. And, the lessons I've planned and written based on what she typically does, she interjects herself and completely takes over. I end up feeling like we're going to end up on the floor fighting over the materials.

I have about 7 weeks left.

Singfree

Old 03-17-2019, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Hi happygal,

Thank you for the advice! I've been keeping my mouth shut to anyone at the school and college classmates. I made the mistake of telling the girl who sits beside me in my college class that I was unable to borrow the curriculum textbooks from my CT. We were supposed to bring them to class and get in groups to plan together as support. She wanted to know where my curriculum books and/or content materials were. I told her my CT wasn't giving me access to them. My classmate lost it, couldn't believe I didn't have access to curriculum materials, and said very loudly, "I wouldn't put up with that. I'd go straight to the top if my CT didn't give me what I needed."

I dread going to college classes due to it. My group mates all have pacing guides and materials and a plan for what's going to be covered next. My CT plans a day ahead for the next day. Some days it's not until the morning of that I know what's on the agenda.
Emily26

Emily26

Old 03-17-2019, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My student teaching experience was marvelous. I worked with a master teacher who treated me as an equal in every way. Pretty much on Day 2, I was in front of kids, teaching. She was supportive and knowledgeable and patient.

I'm SO sorry your experience sucks. It's very hard, at least in my neck of the woods, to find student teacher placements, because frankly, we've had a run of AWFUL student teachers and we just don't want to take them on anymore. It's unlikely in many places that you can just move if you don't like your cooperating teacher.

Hang in there, it's only a short period of time. Take what you can from it, and focus on getting a wonderful opportunity to learn what NOT to do. It's just something you have to fight through to get to the other side, which is your OWN classroom full of kindness and support

Singfree

Old 03-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Wow Teacherbee_4, what you went through would be very stressful! So glad it worked out with a great recommendation letter!

I'm worried about getting a good letter of recommendation. When did you ask for them? Was it before you left or did you wait to the very end to ask for them?

My CT isn't taking the time with me to even emulate her teaching. I can't get her to give me materials ahead of time, and she keeps changing what we're covering last minute. Then when I lead, she interjects and takes over. I'd be happy just knowing what content she plans to teach at this point and would be happy to do it anyway she wants. Of course, I'd also love to try some things out also.

Teacherbee_4

couple weeks maybe?
Old 03-17-2019, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
I'm worried about getting a good letter of recommendation. When did you ask for them? Was it before you left or did you wait to the very end to ask for them?
I think I asked them maybe 2-3 weeks ahead of time if they would write me a letter of recommendation and they said they would. They gave it to me sometime my last week.

Singfree

Teacherbee_4
Old 03-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I wish I knew how to quote on here?

I'm afraid to ask for letters with them acting like I'm not competent! I'll be sure to ask though, but I'll be afraid to read them. I'll mark on my calendar to ask when I have about 2-3 weeks left.

What happens if student teachers can't get a good letter of recommendation? How much would a bad student teaching experience affect future job prospects?

Last edited by Singfree; 03-18-2019 at 01:36 AM..

Teacherbee_4

Answers
Old 03-17-2019, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
I wish I knew how to quote on here?
To quote, just copy the text you want to quote. Then, when you post, in the section with the font color, type of font, size, bold, etc. you will see a button that says quote. If you hit that, will appear. In between the brackets, paste the text you want. When you actually post and see the post on the thread, you will see the blue quote box. You won't when you are typing the post though.

Quote:
I'm afraid to ask for letters with them acting like I'm not competent! I'll be sure to ask though, but I'll be afraid to read them. I'll mark on my calendar to ask when I have about 2-3 weeks left.
My guess is your cooperating teacher will either say no and not write one at all or will say yes and write one. If she really does think you are incompetent and she says yes to write one, my guess is she won't write bad things, just generic things. It's worth a try to ask though. You'll never know if you don't ask.

Quote:
What happens if student teachers can't get a good letter of recommendation? How much would a bad student teaching experience affect future job prospects?
I'm not really sure. I assume it will depend on a lot of factors. You said you felt your supervisor was "teaming up" with the cooperating teacher. I would still ask your supervisor, too. I would also ask some of your education professors, especially ones you had for methods classes. You could also ask if the principal where you student teach could observe you and then write you a letter of recommendation. I'd talk to your cooperating teacher before doing that, though, just in case it would bother her. If you did any other field experiences or volunteer experiences, I'd ask those teachers as well.

Quote:
I also substitute taught with a BA for years before going back to college. At the school district I subbed at the most, I was well liked and had veteran teachers compliment my teaching, as well as, encourage me to go back to college in teaching. I was a requested sub that worked often.
If you are still in contact with anyone from that school, I'd ask for them to write you letters of recommendation. You could also try to get in somewhere teaching summer school this summer. That could help you get your foot in the door, and you may not need recommendations for that. I know the last district I taught at often grabbed student teachers to teach summer school because most of the time the regular teachers in the district wanted a break that summer. You could also try volunteering with kids, such as at church, teaching Vacation Bible School, Sunday school, religious ed, chaperoning youth group or retreats, etc. That can get you letters of recommendation, too. You could also try tutoring, which could also be a source of recommendations.

SubMan

Old 03-17-2019, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Mine was not so great, but I survived and you will to, Remember these two people, your coop teacher and university supervisor, are key to you passing this experience. So do what ever they say and just say thank you (and hope your CT takes some personal days).

I student taught in the same elementary school where I was a student, some of my former teachers were still there. Here are some of the things I had to put up with.

1. Grading all the papers from the first day until the end of my student teaching experience. They were expected to be returned the next day.

2. Having to deal with two teachers who constantly argued with each other.

3. Having to go to the end of the line when making copies (school rules, I was told).

4. Having to take a class in cooperative learning and another in Assertive Discipline before student teacher (on my dime as well).

5. Having to take my cooperating teacher's recess duty for her (I went out, she stayed inside enjoying some free time).

6. Having to eat lunch at the "substitutes table." At this school, substitutes and student teachers had to eat lunch at their own table (think the "kids" Thanksgiving table).

7. Having to do all the bulletin boards (needed to be changed monthly) in the classroom.

8. Being "complained" about during the entire placement.

All was not bad, I was able to grow considerably and a former teacher would feed me "suggestions." Looking back she probably heard the "complaints" and was offering advice as to how to reduce the "complaining" from my CT. I was positive and upbeat during this placement as I knew I was nearing the end of my journey and would soon begin another.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Here you go
Old 03-18-2019, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

"You must realize that teaching takes time and practice before any level of expertise is reached. Thank you for allowing me to learn from you. Would it be okay for me to video tape tomorrow's lesson during math?"

"I'm sensing you might be getting frustrated with my presence in your room. I would like to remind you that you are getting compensated for your trouble."

"I would like to enjoy this part of my training, I am in training and would sure appreciate a little patience and respect from you." Because when you throw your hands up in the air and say things like, ________________ I feel you are bring impatient.

I would write this down. Read from it. And hand her a copy. Cc her boss, your supervisor and your supervisors boss.

Document her responses soon after speaking with her. Before you speak with her ask her to meet with you. Get someone else who is impartial to sit in on the meeting. If she behaves poorly document what she says with quotes, date, and time.

Student teaching can be very difficult. So can teaching. This situation will make you better.

P.s. any time she wants to team teach, let her with grace. Any time she takes over, let her.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

stephenPE

Old 03-18-2019, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

It never ceases to amaze me at the level of stupidity/cruelty , teachers (and future teachers) have to face in some schools. All of you that have faced some of this have my sympathy. I student taught (we called it interning) in 1978. It was a brand new middle school. My CT was like Solomon. He was supportive and CALM. During my three months there I taught Archery and Gymnastics and did the fitness testing. It was challenging. I let a girl land on her head doing back handsprings and thought she was dead. Her parents came in the next day and the principal called me in. I KNEW my career was over before it even began. The parents just wanted to know I thought she could still do cheer leading with the strained neck muscle? They were fine. She was fine. I was ecstatic. The principal was a cool guy, too. He used to go wake up one of his English teachers often cause he was a partying rich kid. My CT gave me great advice and held us to high standards. There were five us interning in PE at one time. They had five PE teachers in that new middle school. I just figured all interning was that professional. Of course now days they have so much bllsht to learn and cover and test it is amazing anyone would want to wade through all that crap.
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Bad
Old 03-18-2019, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Mine was awful. In fact, I remember posting a few similar posts asking for advice and begging for other's awful stories so I didn't feel as alone.

To start, I definitely didn't feel prepared and my mentor teacher was clearly very reluctant to pass off control. She would always talk about how nervous she was to let me tach, which in turn made me feel awful. Other than that, our first few weeks were okay.

After that though it was awful. She would only give bad feedback, would nitpick things that I did that she also did, and constantly made me feel really inadequate as a teacher. My supervisor wasn't from my university but was instead the AP of the school since I ST out of state. She was even worse. Never had a single positive comment, and she would nitpick about the weirdest things. For example, if I said I'd give the kinders a minute to finish up and didn't time at exact 60 seconds, she would mark me off. She also frequently contradicted my mentor. For example, if my mentor and a behaviorist said I should ignore a certain behavior from a student, my supervisor would still mark me off for ignoring it. I cried every day, was convinced I was going to fail, never heard a single positive comment about my teaching, and at one point even emailed my professors about the issues I was having and started an incident log because my mentor and supervisor would frequently talk or have meetings without me since they were also friendly.

In the end I passed with full scores, after being told everything I was doing was wrong all semester.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 03-18-2019, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I did 4 different placements, partially because I was co-teaching my own class during my last term and partially because I was in a private school but my state requires a certain number of hours of teaching a public school that has a certain number of EL's and title 1 students.

Placement 1-1st grade. Teacher didnt seem to like me, think my ideas or methods had value, and didnt want me there. She did not want a student teacher at all. I was the pre-k teacher at the school and I did my hours in 1st while another teacher supervised my recess, lunch and nap times. She was very curt and unfriendly as well but I heard that she was like that to everyone. She didnt trust me and didnt want me working with students. She basically relegated me to grading papers in the back of the room and other prep work minutia. I was basically a parent volunteer without a kid in the class and almost zero student interaction. When I had to be allowed to teach so that my supervisor could come in and observe she wanted me to read the script out of her TE and not stray from it. I pointed out that I was supposed to teach a specific type of lesson that included specific things not in the TE and I was required to teach that way or fail the assignment - she flat out refused. I had to go over her head to the P and get permission to plan my own lesson. Yeah it didnt get better after that. There was no love lost there, but also a lack of basic respect.

Placement 2-5th grade Fridays only (had to get some hours in at a title 1 school). Great teacher, she was awesome to watch, very nice, very flexible and happy to hand over the reigns for me to teach and was never a micro manager or otherwise over bearing. I learned a lot about school/district politics from her in the staff lounge as well.

Placement 3 k-1 autism summer school (I needed to get in more public school teaching minutes). This was an excellent placement for learning about accommodating and working with moderate to severe to students-which I comes in very handy since I get a lot of these kids part of the day or all day as inclusion students.The teacher I was under knew her stuff, was nice and friendly, and had no problem letting me take over circle time and work in small groups in goals based rotations. She was awesome and totally gave great feedback and positive advice. I use this as my model every summer when I teach ESY to kids with autism.

Placement 4- 5th grade-My last co-operating teacher was actually my own co-teacher and we were both the teachers of record for the class part time. I taught th/f and every other Wednesday and he taught the class m/t/alternating Wednesdays. On my days he would come in and observe and give feedback. On his days I would observe him and serve as an aide, pulling small groups and helping with grading and planning. He was a mater teacher in everyday. He had a doctorate and was a part time adjunct professor for M.A. Ed. students and it was like having a highly skilled and educated model and mentor who really wanted to mentor a newly beginning teacher. He encouraged me to go big, create units of study, choose my own novels and create a system of lit circles to help the kids dig deeper. If it hadn't been for him I would have learned a lot less that year. We also had a dream team with 2 teachers in the room more than half the time doing the full job and totally trusting the other teacher. We are still friends.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 03-19-2019 at 06:51 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 03-19-2019, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I see I'm not the only one who has had bad experiences with student teaching! Sorry to all of you who had to endure the extra stress of being unlucky to get a bad placement.

I wish there was a better way for universities to place student teachers or at least fix it if they get a bad match!

My supervisor has also been less than supportive. I can't believe some of the things she's said to me.

Last edited by Singfree; 03-19-2019 at 03:46 PM..

Haley23

Old 03-19-2019, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

My college had us out doing field experiences every year. I had a horrible placement my junior year. My college had sent us out in pairs with the expectation that we co-teach. Although co-teaching is very common in my home state, apparently our mentor teacher had never seen it before. She hated the idea and thought we were "relying too much on each other" (which is EXACTLY what good co-teaching should be!)

It was also difficult because she used a very scripted program that wasn't in line with what my college expected. We tried to tweak things to make them better and she'd get offended that we weren't following the program line by line. Unfortunately I also had a very incompetent professor the same year (she got fired after one semester), so she just believed everything the CT said about us.

Thankfully, my parents are teachers and gave me some good advice. I went to my education adviser before evaluations came out and told her what was going on and asked her what I needed to do to "make things right." I volunteered to (and did) spend extra days at the placement trying to do whatever CT wanted. CT still rated me very poorly, but thankfully I'd already covered myself with the adviser and she knew I'd really tried.

Luckily, senior year for my full year of student teaching, I was in an excellent placement. My CT was fabulous. She gave me advice when I asked for it, but she gave me a lot of freedom too. Although my college required us to send lesson plans to the CT ahead of time, she told me she wasn't going to make me change things as I'd learn better actually teaching it and figuring out how to tweak things based on how the lesson went.

I also had a sped CT for a small portion of the year. She was good too, but I didn't like her job at all (she was a full inclusion teacher). I wouldn't say I was downright rude, but with some hindsight and wisdom with age, I probably didn't need to be as honest as I was about that. I should have kept my mouth shut and looked for more ways to learn from the experience. I AM glad that I had that experience prior to looking for jobs myself, because when I started looking I knew any sort of "inclusion" or "co-teaching" position was NOT for me.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Kishkumen

disaster
Old 03-19-2019, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

My first student teacher was great. My second student teacher was incompetent. She had to pick up her son immediately after school, so she was never available to consult.

Her procedure for disruption was to give kids "blue slips" where they would check one of several misbehaviors from a list, then sign it. Nothing happened as a result, but she said they were stored to show parents at conferences.
When students would not stop talking, I asked for help. She told me to just keep sending out blue slips. After that didn't work, she told me it was my fault for giving out too many blue slips.

I was given homework to grade so she didn't have to. I'd be up four or five hours doing this until 11:00 at night.

If students didn't follow directions, she would yell and scream at them.

Even worse was my supervisor for the college. I asked help with management several times but he never had an answer. He was too busy counting the number of times I said "okay" during a lesson. When I asked about the persistent talking, he naturally assumed I was yelling and screaming at the students, and told me I was simply entertaining them. I don't yell and scream.

He gave me a bad review for the lesson plan that my master teacher wrote, when I was just following what she told me to do: A social studies lesson that was simply a directed drawing lesson with some patriotic image. I tried to give explanation about what was in the drawing, but my master teacher told me to stop doing that and just do the drawing. She said that after 20 or 30 of these were done, they would be all stuck together in a big "quilt" and then she would tell students what all these drawing were about.

Supervising teacher got after me because I didn't force the students to draw each line exactly. He also made a big deal about how the Overhead projector (the old ones with the light bulb and Fresnel lens) was focused only for students in the front, but would be blurry for students in the back
For some reason, he thought that projected optics worked that way. He kept telling me to focus it when it was already in focus. To humor him, I turned the knob and put it out of focus, then put it back exactly where it was.

I told the college about both of them. Program advisor was concerned, but it was too late to do anything. I wasn't learning anything, the class was out of control, my master teacher was incompetent, my supervisor was clueless, and there was no time to repeat the class. The only other student teaching assignment available was several hundred miles away, so I would need to rent an apartment just to do this. Had I know then what I know now, I would have demanded a refund of my tuition for that class.
Kishkumen is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Amazing!
Old 03-20-2019, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Wow! I must be in the minority because my student teaching experience was amazing! I was a little bit older and had kids already and I was placed in a classroom with two teachers that co-taught. I had the chance to teach in one room and then make adjustments and teach my lessons again. It added a component of reflection and adjustment that most student teachers never get. I was so intimidated by my university supervisor but she was so helpful one on one.

My cooperating teachers introduced me to their former Principal and she hired me! They are now very close friends of mine. I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this but you have been given some great advice in this thread!
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 03-20-2019, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Lady Teacher,

I'm happy to hear good experiences also! I hope more people have good experiences than bad, because a bad student placement for student teaching is very overwhelming and probably takes at least a year off a person's life due to the stress.
Julieb83

Julieb83

Mine was bad
Old 03-21-2019, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

My first placement was so bad I almost quit altogether. It was in a 5th grade class and I couldn't do anything right. She wanted me to teach and say things just the way she did. I was counting down the weeks until I was done. Interestingly enough she's now a principal at my niece's school and she and her parents can't stand her. I ended up taking semester off after that first phase and was then placed with an amazing CT. We are still great friends today and she volunteers on my classroom each week now that she's retired.

Singfree

Old 03-22-2019, 01:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Hi Julieb83,

I'm at that place of feeling defeated and wondering if I'm going to make it. I'm counting down the weeks also, and it seems like it's taking forever. I guess the opposite is true about time flying when you're having fun!

I'm wondering where mine will lead, because mine is so dysfunctional with having both a CT who isn't working with me to a power tripping supervisor, who from day one, has spoken to me like she wanted to make salient her position of authority over me. I'm perfectly fine with constructive criticism.
I got an exceeds expectations in that category, but what I'm having a problem with are the personal attacks. It's been nuts!

UVAgrl928

Old 03-22-2019, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Also, if I remember correctly, you’re an “older” new teacher... are your CT and supervisor younger than you? I know it sounds silly lol. But I had a ST when I was about 26 that was much older than me. I had already had a number of student teachers at that point, and was a strong teacher. The way she questioned me always kind of irked me. She didn’t question in a way that she was trying to learn why I did things, she was basically questioning me because she didn’t agree- if that makes sense. She felt that because she had older children and had volunteered in their schools, that it made her an expert in instruction, and more experienced than me because she was older. Not saying this is the case, but just something to contemplate 🤔

One other thing- I’m sure you’ve mentioned it, but what grade is it? Is it a testing grade? It can be hard to release control when your evaluation depends on these testing results- but, she shouldn’t have taken on the ST if she wasn’t willing to let go of control. Just trying to see things from several perspectives! Sorry it sucks, keep us posted! ❤️
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 03-23-2019, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

UVAgrl928,

It's not a testing grade.

I'm a quiet, people pleasing, introvert, so I'm self-conscious about saying anything that would appear to criticize her teaching methods.

Last edited by Singfree; 03-23-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Ruby07

Old 03-23-2019, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Mine was ridiculous. My first placement was in a Kindergarten classroom with a CT who seemed to be about 95 years old . She always had student teachers because she did NOTHING. And at nap time, she got a pillow and blanket out of her bottom file cabinet drawer, and TOOK A NAP on the floor! She literally slept for at least an hour. I had fun with the kids, but learned nothing.

My second placement was a first grade classroom with a wonderful CT. My supervisor was a BEAST who hated everything I did. She failed me on one of my lessons for using macaroni in a craft ("Children are starving all over the world, and by using food as art, you are contributing to the problem"). She did a pop-in observation one day, and I happened to be giving a spelling test. Not what I would want her to see, but I couldn't really control that. When we met in her office afterward, she told me that I was done, kicked out, terminated, etc. I was shocked, and asked why. She said that she saw me pull a little girl's hair because she was talking during the spelling test. It took me a few minutes to figure out what the hell she actually saw, because I knew I hadn't pulled a student's hair! Then I remembered that there had been a little girl talking during the test, and when I walked past her, I gently put my hand on her shoulder as a reminder to be quiet. She sweetly tilted her head and rubbed her cheek on my hand. From the supervisor's viewpoint, it look as if I had jerked the child's head sideways by pulling her hair. OMG. I had to take it to the Dean, and all ended well. But I'm surprised I ended up teaching at all after those two placements - !
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 03-23-2019, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Ruby07,

Wow, BEAST is a good description of your supervisor! I'm glad the Dean got it resolved! That would be a terrible thing to go through!

I wonder how many supervisors do pop in visits? None of the other supervisors pop in on my classmates. They all schedule a time.

I keep visualizing the kindergarten teacher with her blankey taking a nap and bust out laughing!

Summerwillcom

Old 03-23-2019, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

[To quote, just copy the text you want to quote.]
I always wanted to know how to do this too and had to try it! Thanks, Teacherbee!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Sorry, forgot to answer the Q of OP
Old 03-23-2019, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

My student teaching experience was probably the best and nicest of any I can imagine. I had a wonderful mentor teacher, well behaved kids ( for the most part), and more support than I could have ever asked for...The only bad part was the P was a wimp in 1 situation.
I have had friends who had the opposite experience though.
I am sorry yours is so hard too.
When I went to my 1st job interview, I do not think they looked at transcripts. They did talk to people though. So I doubt your grades count much. Plug through it and just try to be the nicest you can. It will be over soon!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsFrazzled

Terrible!
Old 03-27-2019, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Mine was awful. I hated most of it except the students. I cried to parents halfway through saying that I wanted to quit and major in something else. They wouldn’t let me.

My middle school placement teacher was alright but not helpful in any way. She made a comment about the students being “idiots” the first week I was with her. It was true for some as they were 8th graders but I still couldn’t believe she said it to someone she barely knew.

She was a science teacher and never did any labs. She told me up front that she didn’t like the students to move around or get loud. So I never did any group work with them. She just gave them worksheets and showed videos.

Then, the high school placement teacher was even worse. She was a complete mess. She had two desks that were covered in crap. One desk had papers stacked at least 6 inches high ALL OVER! The principal even described her room as “it looks like a bomb went off.” She was retiring that year so she did not care at all. She got there late and left early.

She just gave worksheets. She taught a forensics class and all they ever did was read a James Patterson novel. She never did any labs despite having a science lab just a few doors down. And they had plenty of materials to do labs with.

She told me she didn’t do lesson plans. And she didn’t. She did not write them out or type them up. She even made me grade her stupid projects that SHE assigned over thanksgiving break bc she went to the mountains. And she laughed about it.

I cried a lot during that experience. But I did learn. I just learned what not to do.
MrsFrazzled is offline   Reply With Quote