Help

High School

Hiding Information in a Reading Passage

>

Wise1

Hiding Information in a Reading Passage
Old 03-22-2019, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Im going to model a lesson for one of my high school English teachers for classroom management. I actually want to give students a passage to read (teacher says they never read anything nor complete reading assignments). I would like to give them a passage to read and discussion questions, but towards the end of the passage I want to have a message , something that tells them to put a certain mark on their paper or something so that I'll know who actually read the passage. Does anyone have something like this already created that you could share with me? Thanks in advance!

Wise1 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

good idea
Old 03-25-2019, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have never done that before but it is a good idea....probably easy to make on your own...just edit it into the original text .... let us know how it works!
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 03-25-2019, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have given readings with the following directions:

Please read this passage in its entirety. Then answer the discussion questions.

At the end of the passage I have a sentence such as this:

Please write your first name in the bottom right hand corner of the paper. Then answer the discussion questions.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Deep Read
Old 03-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have students annotate. It’s a good skill for college, forces them to read or skim, and isn’t usually something easy to find. At the junior high level, I have my 8th graders use color coding to highlight a text when they find an answer. Then they must justify their color coding in the left margin (right margin is for me to respond).

I also might give them things to look for (3 reasons friendship is important, for example). Then in the margin they must justify why they chose that section to answer the question.

I have also done it this way: I will read it (or we will choral read it, yes in middle school!), you will read it with a partner, then you read it alone. All are fine aloud, even by yourself. I need to hear you without getting in your personal space. This is three rounds. Then I give them things to do with it.

I have also done a sneaky thing - I will use a big selection, but 2 pages in, I’ll slip in a sentence that just says “stop reading here” to see how many students catch it. It’s the same font, size, everything, even in mid-sentence.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote