Help

BusyBoard

Appropriate Dress

>

TheElphaba

Appropriate Dress
Old 04-24-2019, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I think I must be REALLY old fashioned and just curious how other teachers feel about this.

Appropriate dress I think is important. Do people really think that showing A LOT of cleavage is appropriate in a professional setting? We have teachers that show at least 3 inches of breast cleavage and sometimes maybe 2 inches of butt cleavage. Everytime these teachers bend over you can see way more of them than you want to.

Like I said I am old fashioned and I was always taught NOT to show cleavage especially in a professional place. I know as a teacher I always make sure that nothing is showing by doing a bend test. I know I know this sounds funny, but if I bend over and I see something then I immediately change.

I have seen teachers show large amount of cleavage when they were working with HS boys and I just shake my head because I believe that it is a recipe for disaster. I have told some people that they might want to rethink what they are wearing, but sometimes you just know that some people wouldn't appreciate the hint.

Anyway I was just wondering?

TheElphaba is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-24-2019, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
I have told some people that they might want to rethink what they are wearing, but sometimes you just know that some people wouldn't appreciate the hint.
Honestly, unless you were my administrator (or maybe a mentor) I wouldn’t appreciate comments on what I wear. That’s not to say I am going to show up with excessive cleavage or low-rider pants. However, I know the school dress code, and I choose to wear what I believe fits it. I’d resent the self-appointed fashion police putting their view of “appropriate” on my choices.

I do know that the very few people I’ve known who were guilty of inappropriate relationships with students did not dress provocatively AT ALL.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

My opinion
Old 04-24-2019, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If I were you I'd send an anonymous note to the admin stating your opinion. You don't have to say anything to the individual. It is in the best interest of the school and the teacher to bring the topic up.
QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-24-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it's silly to worry about what other people wear. I will say, I've never measured my cleavage.

Quote:
I have told some people that they might want to rethink what they are wearing, but sometimes you just know that some people wouldn't appreciate the hint.
I'd tell you my boobs aren't your concern.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

C'mon people!
Old 04-24-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In TheElphaba's defense, it can be uncomfortable to be around people showing off too much of anything. When someone has her big boobs sticking out, it's kind of hard not to look. If someone's skirt is short, it's hard not to wait for the person to bend over.
Besides, teachers are role models. When a young teenage girl sees her teacher showing off her "girls" she may think, "Yeah, that's what I want to look like."
I know I'd think that. (I was not born well endowed). Sorry, just a joke.

Zia

Old 04-24-2019, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
When someone has her big boobs sticking out, it's kind of hard not to look. If someone's skirt is short, it's hard not to wait for the person to bend over.
I think that's on you, frankly.

Haley23

Old 04-24-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I get annoyed because P made a big deal out of the dress code at the beginning of the year. We used to be able to wear jeans whenever and she made some comments about that and said jeans needed to be saved for Fridays. I'm a rule follower, so I went out and basically bought a new work wardrobe.

Now, I see people wearing jeans and casual clothes all of the time. AP wears jeans a couple of days per week . We have a teacher who wears leggings and sweatshirts every day and I wonder why P doesn't say anything to her. If she really doesn't care, then why say it's a rule in the first place? Or is it a rule only for certain people and not for her favorites?

That said, I wouldn't consider it my business to say anything to anyone. I absolutely wouldn't do any sort of note or comment to the P. P can see what people are wearing and will say something if she is concerned. And if P or others were to figure out it was you, I think it would reflect poorly on you.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Seriously?
Old 04-24-2019, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
it can be uncomfortable to be around people showing off too much of anything.
Whaaaaa? It’s 2019. If I’m uncomfortable because someone is showing “too much of anything,” that’s my issue. Not theirs.

Quote:
When someone has her big boobs sticking out, it's kind of hard not to look. If someone's skirt is short, it's hard not to wait for the person to bend over.
I have never been tempted in either of those situations.

This is akin to a strict dress code for girls so as not to “distract the boys from their education.” What better time for boys to learn to overcome their “baser urges.”

Sorry, I disagree with pretty much everything the OP said. You dress your body and I’ll dress mine, mmmkay? Otherwise, as I tell my students, MYOB.
h0kie is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-24-2019, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
You dress your body and I’ll dress mine, mmmkay? Otherwise, as I tell my students, MYOB.
Brava, h0kie! Brava.

WGReading

Old 04-24-2019, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Is there a dress code for staff at your school?

My reaction would be - admin can deal with it, I'm staying out of it. And honestly I probably wouldn't even notice.

We have a dress code that basically says we need to wear "professional dress". I'm in the Pacific NW, in general people dress pretty casually here all the time, but there is a general understanding about what "professional" entails.

Around this time of year at a staff meeting, our principal usually reminds us that we aren't supposed to wear shorts or workout clothes to school, because people are exhausted and want to wear what they want to wear. I don't know if he ever actually talks to anyone directly about what they are wearing. We also got some 'clarification' on this last year re: leggings - our leadership team (teacher reps) thought it was necessary to specify that if you wear leggings, your top should be covering your butt. Apparently there were too many butt shapes showing. I really have no idea. Again, this was put out as a general announcement to everyone, not directed at a specific person.

WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 04-24-2019, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Do I want to look at butt crack? Nope. But where I put my eyes is my decision, not anyone else's. (Which is exactly what I teach my kiddos.) And unless it's a compliment or I've spilled something, I really don't need anyone commenting on my clothing choices.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TheElphaba

Cleavage
Old 04-24-2019, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I have seen teachers show large amount of cleavage when they were working with HS boys and I just shake my head because I believe that it is a recipe for disaster. I have told some people that they might want to rethink what they are wearing, but sometimes you just know that some people wouldn't appreciate the hint.
Sorry I will clarify this. NO I don't necessarily think that showing cleavage to high school boys means that you are going to jump in the sack with them! I think I meant that in these times with cell phones and it seems that everyone looks at teachers with a microscope that I could definitely see some teacher's picture on the nightly news or web with people saying how they should be fired.

Not to long ago I saw something on a web page about a Kindergarten teacher, very beautiful, but who was wearing a extremely short tight dress showing so much (something that I personally would wear on a date). People wrote in how she looked trashy and more like a prostitute. I DID NOT AGREE....Like I said she was very beautiful and I did not think she should be publicly attacked by parents and public in general. Nor did I think she should be fired. I just didn't think what she was wearing was appropriate.

Honestly, I only told one person about their dress and that was several years ago and we had a good working relationship. She was new as an aide and she was working with a boy that had some trouble with sexual assault and I talked with her out of concern NOT trying to get in her business.

I am an older teacher and like I said I am old fashioned. I was just wondering what other teachers felt. We have a lot of new teachers coming in and I was just curious. Times are changing and I know that. Trust me I don't pull out a ruler to measure how much of your breasts show. <!-giggle-->

All that being said, I don't think I will be able to change this late in life. We will all have to agree to disagree on this. Everyone will definitely have to make their own judgement call on what to show or not to show.

I also know that how you dress does NOT have a reflection on how well you teach but sadly I think it does effect the way people perceive you.....good or bad.

QueenBee2011

Wow Z and hOkie
Old 04-24-2019, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

OUCH! I believe TheElphaba asked for opinions. Don't I get to state mine without being attacked?

Did you ever stop to think that maybe I'm older or teach at a conservative school or very religious? Perhaps TheElphaba is too.

You can't see my perspective, and I don't see yours. I guess we're different. Is that okay? YES!
So relax you two.
By the way, did you not get that I was joking too?

This is the first time I've posted in at least six months. I think I'll wait another six months before posting again. I don't like negativity. It ages you.

Zia

Old 04-24-2019, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
Did you ever stop to think that maybe I'm older or teach at a conservative school or very religious?
Y'all can dress however you like. I would never talk smack about someone dressing super conservatively, either. It's judging other women, their clothes, their bodies I take issue with.

And, FWIW, I teach K and tend to wear jeans and tees, so it's not like this whole dressing provocatively at work issue applies to me personally.

Quote:
Trust me I don't pull out a ruler to measure how much of your breasts show. <!-giggle-->
Elphaba, that is quite the visual! You made me laugh--thanks!

Quote:
All that being said, I don't think I will be able to change this late in life.
If you're comfy, what need is there to change? It's all good. You do you!

Song of Joy

Old 04-25-2019, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm not a big fan of much of the current fashion. The butt crack thing bothers me the most because it just seems unsanitary. And I agree with the original poster that it would be great if professional dress was a bit more modest.

I've been home on medical leave and have been watching game shows from 20, 30, 40 years ago and have been amazed at some of the lovely clothing women were wearing in the past. The colors were delightful and the garments flowed or were beautifully tailored and they were classy to boot.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

JackandSally

Old 04-25-2019, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I once had a coworker come up with a ruler and measure my straps to make sure they were two inches wide, and I was very annoyed. She’s not my administrator so why was she measuring my top?? To this day I’m still annoyed by remembering that!
JackandSally is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-25-2019, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
When someone has her big boobs sticking out, it's kind of hard not to look.
As someone who falls into this category . . .
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

jo

Old 04-25-2019, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

It's been interesting to read everyone's comments. I have a couple of thoughts:

One- do your schools have dress codes for students, regarding on what to wear, is it followed, and can they wear items like what you have described?

Two-I have primary kids, and have a student who constantly shows butt crack because his pants are too little and kids ask repeatedly to have him pull up his pants. It bothers them.

Three- I just read that a high school (James Madison) in Houston has implemented a dress code for parents. They can not wear pajamas, bonnets, hair rollers, shower caps, sagging pants or shorts, revealing tops, torn jeans, showing lots of skin, dresses showing up your behind, and leggings. The principal was quoted that it is necessary to establish high standards.

I would never tell a teacher what to wear.
jo is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-25-2019, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
One- do your schools have dress codes for students, regarding on what to wear, is it followed, and can they wear items like what you have described?
Student dress code: no visible underwear, no shorts/dresses above mid thigh, no tank tops with straps less than a credit card width, no jackets, no hats, no bandanas, no bare midriffs, no holes above the knee on jeans.

My DH’s school has a more strict dress code: khaki pants, solid polo shirt or school spirit T-shirt, closed-toe shoe

Zia

Old 04-25-2019, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
Dress code is skirts/shorts to the tips of your fingers and tanks have to be two inches wide, no spaghetti straps. I ignore the no spaghetti straps for my Kinders. They look darling in their sundresses and there isn't a thing inappropriate about it on a 5 year old. A 15 yo is a different story.

Quote:
Three- I just read that a high school (James Madison) in Houston has implemented a dress code for parents. They can not wear pajamas, bonnets, hair rollers,
Bonnets? Like are folks showing up all Little House?
And I drop my son off for Zero Hour at 6:10 am...I'm in jammies and sometimes have rollers in my hair. I'm in the drop off lane and they can bite me if they have a problem with that. It's SIX IN THE MORNING!

TheElphaba

Fashion through the ages
Old 04-25-2019, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Just think of ALL the fashion statements we have all made throughout our lifetime. Depending on when you were born...just think of it.

I remember in the late 60's women were NOT allowed to wear pants! As a young student in the cold winter I could wear pants under my dress, but as soon as I got in the school the pants had to come off.

Also girls were not allowed to wear knee socks. We had to wear anklets. Have you ever had to wear anklets with a dress when it is around 30 degrees and the wind is blowing? FREEZING!!

Doesn't make sense to me now and it didn't make sense to me then. I also remember that administration/teachers would actually measure to see if a girls dress was the appropriate length. Can you imagine that one!

With all the things we have to do now....can you imagine having time to measure someones dress length??

Does anyone remember any of these or other fashion rules we had to adhere to???

Silly rabbits I have NO TIME to measure your cleavage....little humor please, but can you imagine seriously someone taking you aside and pulling out a tape measure or ruler to see if you are within limit???? Cracks me up because I can just picture a little old lady (or man) cartoon doing this.

I am thinking of these things because I so want you all to know that I never intended anyone to get hurt feelings or anger anyone for my old fuddy duddy views...could I possibly be turning into my grandma????

Trust me I know the world is changing and fashion with it. You know what they say about fashion....if you wait long enough it will come back in style.

So maybe I will come back in style

Zia

Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Quote:
I am thinking of these things because I so want you all to know that I never intended anyone to get hurt feelings or anger anyone for my old fuddy duddy views
It's all good! I just find the intense scrutiny over what females wear outdated and misogynistic, but you're right--we have come a long way!
Mr60+

Mr60+

Old 04-25-2019, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

TheElphaba, you got a lot of flack for your views, but as a 60+ man, I agree with you completely. I'm not going to get into specifics about women's clothing, but I'd like to share a few personal memories.

As a trim 20 year-old back in the mid 1970s, I had a summer job at a camp working with both boys and girls. Mark Spitz (remember him?) was very well-known, and I eagerly bought and wore one of the popular Spitz swimsuits. What I didn't realize at first was that those bathing suits were rather revealing. In the beginning, I didn't pay much attention when we went to the pool and I heard a few kids make remarks, but soon I got the message. Yes, it was their problem, not mine! Still, I learned something important. It really wasn't an appropriate thing to be wearing in that situation. I soon ditched it to wear something more modest and appropriate swim attire, and I've never regretted my decision.

When I got into teaching, I started to put on a few pounds (which I'm happy to say I later lost). At first I didn't buy bigger pants because the old ones still fit. I started to hear a few comments from students which I ignored at first. Yes, it was their problem, not mine! Still, I started to consider what they were whispering behind my back. I realized that as a teacher, I had to promote an appropriate image. I bought pants that fit better, and again, I was happy with my decision.

What we wear at work does matter. I used to wear a dress shirt and tie every day, which I no longer do. Still, I always try to look professional. I think that's good advice for both men and women.

TravelingGal

Old 04-25-2019, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I totally agree!!! In my school all the teachers want to wear are jeans and t-shirts. Any chance they get, they ask to wear jeans and on Fridays they want to wear hats. It is just not professional looking.
TravelingGal is offline   Reply With Quote

kim1231

Old 04-26-2019, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I keep my opinions and comments to myself. However I firmly believe that if you want to be paid as a professional then dress and act the part!
kim1231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-26-2019, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Quote:
However I firmly believe that if you want to be paid as a professional then dress and act the part!
I am a human Kleenex, on the floor, with glue and 23 five year olds. My professionalism comes from how I do my job, not what I wear.

Sbkangas5

Old 04-26-2019, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Quote:
I am a human Kleenex, on the floor, with glue and 23 five year olds. My professionalism comes from how I do my job, not what I wear.
Amen to this. I'm on the floor daily, often with paint and glue on some part of me. I wear something comfortable and machine washable that I can easily move in - which usually means black yoga-ish pants (not classic yoga pants but yoga fabric pants that look like regular pants) and a school t-shirt.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

Thank 60+,Kim1231 and Traveling Gal
Old 04-27-2019, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

You said what I should have said. We need to dress for the job.

readerleader

Old 04-27-2019, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I just shake my head at some of the clothing choices teachers make. I've seen it all (quite literally). You'd think they were going straight to the club after school! That being said, we have no district dress code for teachers. It's more of a "use your common sense" kind of thing, but we know how that goes. Basically, they can wear anything they want! We had a principal a few years back who tried to tactfully suggest teachers dress a little more professionally and all she got was backlash. These teachers went right to the union and the union defended them (as the union should). My current principal doesn't always dress professionally, so what are you gonna do? Although it bothers me, I can't be worried about how other people dress. I've got bigger problems, like teaching kids to read.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-28-2019, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Quote:
We need to dress for the job.
Absolutely! And teaching K doesn't lend itself to silk.

Izzy23

Old 04-28-2019, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

The thing is, most of the comments about appropriate dress are always aimed at women. It's always about our breasts or our legs or our butts. Very rarely are men ever scrutinized. Student dress codes are usually unduly harsh on girls too. To me, it's another example of misogyny and a way to keep women under control.

And frankly, as a "well-endowed" woman, the most "modest" clothing I could find would be a t-shirt and jeans, but then it's not considered professional. And I can't wear a suit - my classroom gets upward of 90 degrees in the fall and spring. I'd like to wear comfortable clothes, since I think passing out from heat exhaustion would also be considered unprofessional.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-28-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Can't win for losin' eh, Izzy?

I agree with you about it being sexist.

IcyPeppermint

Pay Me Professionally
Old 05-13-2019, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Very well said. I hear all of the time that if teachers want to be treated as professionals then they should dress as such. I say, pay me like a professional and then I would be more than happy to buy dress clothes. I dress very casually, just within teacher dress code, and I get a lot of comments from other teachers. I tried in the first three years of teaching to wear heels, skirts, slacks, and blouses, but they either got ruined in the wash or I ruined them at school. Even cheap slacks are too expensive when you factor in your wardrobe outside of school. Like you mentioned, I deal with walking around the room, kneeling next to kids' desks, and trying to maneuver my way through tight fitting desks. I noticed that the teachers who dress more casually tend to be better teachers because they aren't sitting behind a desk or deciding against messy activities. Anyways, if I am living paycheck to paycheck and spend my time worrying about tests scores as well as how I am going to survive the month, then no, I am not coming to school dressed in slacks and a blouse everyday.
IcyPeppermint is offline   Reply With Quote