Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

How do I stop students from saying everything is "gay"

>

cwoodoneida

cwoodoneida

How do I stop students from saying everything is "gay"
Old 04-26-2019, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I constantly hear our middle schoolers say "that's gay" to everything and everyone they dislike. When I address it, they just increase the antagonizing and will then start defending what they called gay, saying that to them gay is a synonym for stupid or today I had a student just repeat the word "gay, gay, gay, gay" to me. I contacted his mom and she said he never uses the word in an offensive way at home and her child never swears at home (this student cannot go 10 minutes without swearing at school)

I am getting worn out on constantly trying to educate students on not using the word gay or homo to describe things. Administration does not care (they never hear it, so it must not be true that students are saying it)

Any suggestions?

Ima Teacher

Old 04-27-2019, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I remind them that the words like gay and retarded are offensive to many people, and they cannot use them in my room. Period. It doesn’t matter that it is a synonym for stupid or not. They shouldn’t call things stupid either. If they insist on continuing to use them, I follow the school’s discipline matrix to enforce consequences.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 04-27-2019, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My students are younger, but this happened in my classroom earlier this year. My reaction was to have a very serious conversation with them about how there are words out there that can seriously hurt people. If youíre using gay to signify stupid or lame, then you are implying gay people are stupid and lame. It is cruel, and in my classroom cruel language is much more serious than ďbadĒ words. Then I made sure they knew I meant business and my response to disobedience would involve fire and brimstone. I am a strict disciplinarian, but I pick my battles. By doing this, I have established that if itís a battle Iím picking, itís a battle I intend to win by any means necessary. Basically, donít call my bluff. My kids immediately stopped, and they reported it to me when another child in the grade level continued to use it. I came down on them hard and then told their teacher who also came down hard. Problem solved.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote