ARCHIVE

former student

>

noname4this

noname4this

former student
Old 10-28-2007, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel really bad for a former student of mine. I teach 5th grade and have this student's little sister in my class. Anyway, the former student of mine always seemed to like school and wanted to learn when she was in my class years ago. I learned from Mom that her daughter(my former student) did not pass the math section of the TAKS test. She was supposed to graduate last May but couldn't because of the TAKS test. She passed all her high school classes. She was so embarrassed by not graduating especially since all her friends have graduated and many have gone on to college. My former student wants to go to college. She came up to see me and was in absolute tears. I suggested to her that she get math tutoring so she pass the TAKS test. But I worry about if she can't pass the math section of the TAKS that she'll never get a high school diploma. She's taken the math part of the TAKS test at least 6 times! She could very well have a math disability, but if she does it was never caught. She turns 20 this March, and is very embarrassed of how old she is without a high school diploma, and now because she didn't graduate she is convinced that she is stupid. Its not like she dropped out or anything. She tells me that if it hadn't been for the TAKS test that she would've gone to college this year although she is scared of whether she could do well in college or not. Instead, she's working a minimum wage job. Its stories like this that make me absolutely hate standarized testing.

musicbug

What a sad story
Old 10-29-2007, 01:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

And then people wonder why kids give up. Good for her that she is still fighting. Are there any community groups giving free test reviews with one on one tutoring for her?

treetoad

treetoad
Old 10-29-2007, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

can she leave the state and take the GED test and then go on?
I think she could come to Iowa - establish residence -work to meet her needs - take the GED and then go on to college. I'd suggest a small college rather than university.

lillian

Math Disability
Old 10-29-2007, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How did she do in math in high school? Was she able to pass the classes, but they were extremely difficult for her? Did she pass because of turning in all her homework and classwork, but she failed her tests? Does she have math test anxiety? Did she always struggle with word problems, but she could do the calculations? I question the latter because the TAKS test is all word problems. Can she do the problems, if they are read aloud to her? These are the kinds of things that need to be looked at, and I would urge this young lady to do so.

Being depressed and giving up on her dream of going to college is not going to help her. Figuring out why she can't pass the test is going to help her. I think someone needs to sit down with her (she can call a community college and get a math student there to do this), have her read the problems on the test aloud (you can download past math exit exams off the internet), then complete the problems, working them out orally, as she goes along. This way, someone who understands math very well can "witness" her difficulties. If she really isn't getting the math at all, then she needs to be tested for a math LD.

It's never too late to be tested for LD's. She can receive accommodations in college to help her. So, I would suggest calling a local community college, getting someone there to sit with her while she takes a practice test, then deciding where to go after that.
noname4this

noname4this

Old 10-29-2007, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well in Texas you can get a GED without passing the TAKS test. However to me getting a GED seems ridiculous when a student was able to pass all their subjects. GED tests your knowledge in all the core subjects, and this girl has already passed all her high school classes. Community college might be an option. I know they are open-admissions and offer remedial math classes which she definitely needs.

Not that I'm blaming her high school, but she went to a high school that has an awful reputation. Teachers leave this school because of the principal. That is no surprise to me cause Mom told me when she called the principal to talk about her daughter passing the TAKS test the principal acted as if failing the TAKS test was all her fault and that they had no responsibility to help her. This principal has a horrible reputation in our community. He also took 2 weeks to return Mom's phone call and she had to call the district to get the principal to call her back. This is an overcrowded school, and they just really have too many students so many students fall through the cracks. Teachers usually don't last more than 5 years at that school. Not that the school is completely to blame, but when you struggle academically it probably doesn't help to go to a school that can't give you some individualized attention.

Faith

Faith

same boat here
Old 01-19-2009, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am actually in the same boat..I live in Ohio and at the time I had to pass what they called the proficiency test..I passed all parts except the math and now at 32 years of age I still don't have my diploma and can't get a good job.I am now going back and trying to pass the math part but they no longer have the proficiency test..they have the Ohio Graduation Test which is harder than the proficiency test and I am sooo stressed about this test it's not even funny and most of the math on it I have never even had to do and don't know how to do it.Any suggestions?I was going to go and try to get my GED but I already have all the requirements for graduating except for this math.