Help

The Job Search

Turning teaching resume into other jobs

>

needmyjob

Turning teaching resume into other jobs
Old 05-14-2019, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone willing to share a teaching resume that is transferable to other jobs?

needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-15-2019, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I saw you didn't get any responses and wanted to take a moment to respond. I genuinely think that it depends upon what non-teaching job you're applying for and how your skills that you've gained from teaching will apply to those jobs.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Resume
Old 05-15-2019, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are several sites on google that come up if you enter "teaching to another career". They offer ways of re-wording your teaching skills to better fit other jobs. I found it very helpful when re-writing my resume a few years ago. Good luck in your search.
Coopsgrammy is online now   Reply With Quote

SubMan

he
Old 05-15-2019, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A teacher friend suggested that I look into corporate training positions. These are where you train people how to use the companyís product. She mentioned that curriculum publishers are very tough to get into as they pay very well due to the high cost of the materials.

If you are interested in instructional technology many companies like teachers who can talk the talk and walk the walk showing others how to use their products.

Think about what skills you have that are transferable and high light those. Google resumes for the type of job your interested in. Remember to save in its own file any cover letter or resume you create. I have hundreds of cover letters, resumes, and other documents that Iíve saved. I donít recreate the wheel. I edit something Iíve already created.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

Thanks everyone
Old 05-15-2019, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for your responses

needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-17-2019, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Instructional tech and corporate training are my dream jobs but I don't think there's anything around me and I have no idea where to even start with that.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 06-05-2019, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have looked in to corporate training type positions. Unfortunately, they all require HR degrees or degrees in adult learning. The are online learning platforms you have to know how to use. More technical/specialized companies prefer that you have a degree in that field (i.e. former surgical nurses to train people in how to use the equipment and to teach sales/marketing what the products are about).

I did find an entry level position that was basically an admin asst in the corporate training dept of a local company, but it sounded like it would be great exposure to the field based on responsibilities listed. I didn't apply simply because I could tell the pay just would be below what I would be willing to accept. That could be a way to get in if you are flexible with pay range.

Last edited by applesaucencr; 06-06-2019 at 09:10 AM..
applesaucencr is online now   Reply With Quote

gertegan

Old 06-06-2019, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If they're looking for a specific degree, taking an entry level job, and even a pay cut that you can afford, is a good way to get in. If you get into a good company and get settled in, they may even pay for the coursework you need to move up to the position you want. The key is thinking long term and being willing to make sacrifices in the today for the tomorrow.
gertegan is offline   Reply With Quote