Help

Retired Teachers

Babysitting your grandkids

>

annie_g

Babysitting your grandkids
Old 05-17-2019, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just wondered how many of you babysit your grandkids on a regular basis? I babysit my just turned one grandson regularly on Mondays and often another day/overnight during the week and have since he was born. I love having a close relationship with him and watching him grow. He also goes to his other grandparents once a week. My son was saying that some of his friends who have kids say the grandparents arenít too interested in having them often or even at all. I canít imagine! So it just made me wonder. I know many grandparents donít live close to their kids/grandkids, so thatís different. Iím very happy that I do. Although now that heís crawling and on the verge of walking, he wears me out! Love him so much! 😍😍😍

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Babysitting grandkids
Old 05-17-2019, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When DD was pregnant, I told her I would babysit but I wasnít retiring to be her full time daycare.

For his first year I watched him twice a week. They were long, long days and to be honest, I was exhausted. I love him to bits and enjoy watching him grow and playing with him, but I am too old to watch him full time.

Now I will babysit if heís sick or his preschool daycare is closed. And sometimes I ĒabductĒ him just for fun. He delights me and we have a great relationship.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 05-18-2019, 01:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a grandson due soon. My other four grands are all teens, and three of them live quite a distance from me, so I never got to babysit them. (The fourth teen is a step-grand that I acquired last summer).

I will likely be the designated babysitter once the parents need to leave him. This summer I will be going with them to festivals occasionally (just like my old hippie days) to mind the baby so Mommy and Daddy can dance. Dd plans to take him to work with her (she cleans houses and has just a few long-time clients), but I imagine I will have him more often as he becomes mobile, and she resumes helping her dh with his painting and drywall business.

We will see how it goes. He will go to preschool (same cooperative preschool his mom attended) when he is 3, so maybe that will provide some "babysitting time".

I'm looking forward to it. We'll see how it goes!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

babysitting
Old 05-18-2019, 02:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My one local grandchild has almost outgrown me and doesn't need babysitting. I do provide Gruber service (grandma's Uber). This summer I will be driving him to drivers' ed class. Last summer it was to football practice. DH and I were just talking about the night we were babysitting and he wouldn't settle down. At 3 he was in love with fire trucks so we drove by the different fire stations around the city with him and said good night to the fire trucks. He fell asleep on the way home. Precious memory.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

MHugs
Old 05-18-2019, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love Gruber service...so unique.

I also love saying goodnight to the fire trucks.

What a creative grandparent you are!

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Watching grands
Old 05-18-2019, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, when they need us. Usually for occasional weekends away. Of the eight, 2 are local so I sometimes pick them up at daycare and give them dinner, baths and ready for bed. I do sometimes sit for an evening commitment as well. When. Dgd was born, I did one day per week. I have 4 grands and 4 step but have never referred to them as step. Just love them all! We had 2 gs for six days once... I was packed and ready to go the minute they arrived home!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

I wish....
Old 05-18-2019, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My grands are several states away. I would love to live close enough to help out when needed! Iím so thankful for technology so we can connect with each other.
DSLBUG is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Mhugs
Old 05-18-2019, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I LOVE Gruber service. So stealing this. And the fire truck story should be a childrenís book.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 05-18-2019, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I watched my then 3 year old GD all of the last school year. I picked her up at 7 each morning and my DD picked her up from my house at 1:00. On M,W,F she went to preschool. It sounds like it should have been easy, but by 12:00 I was watching the clock! She is very active, and I had to keep her doing things. We went to the park, the library, and stores at times - I tried to get her outside each day. I was worn out! But this year she is in preK and I am not needed. Crazy, but I really miss her!
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 05-18-2019, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I love reading everyoneís experiences! And Gruber...definitely stealing that! I do love watching my grandson, but I have to admit I am worn out and watching the clock by the end of the day. We will have him for 5 days next month. Wish me luck that I survive!

Cassyree

Old 05-18-2019, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Retirement is about choices. I think grandparents should decide if and to what extent they want and are able to do childcare. From time to time I happily babysit and do sleepovers. I will care for grandkids with minor illnesses that keep them from daycare or school when their parents have a problem missing work that day. I love my grandkids but I'm not their parents, and I have plans and activities that allow me to enjoy this stage of my life.

I have a friend who has been guilted into doing full time childcare for grandchildren. They justify their feeling of entitlement to grandma daycare because they have lower paying jobs (entirely due to choices they made, not grandma) and express the opinion that any grandparent that doesn't want to spend long hours each week with grandchildren is completely selfish. They often want overnight care on the weekend too!
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

ElemEd

Have hugs, Will travel!
Old 05-18-2019, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our one and only grandbaby is 18 months old and lives in the next state (4 hr. drive from us).
For the first 6 months of DD being back at work, the other grandma (who also lives far away) and I took turns by months. We lived in at their house and did full-time care. It is a large house, so it worked. We loved it, and were actually disappointed when they enrolled her in daycare at their workplace when an opening became available, even though that was always the plan. We kind of felt like we'd been fired.

The kids have always been appreciative of the help that we gave (and continue to give) them. They are always doing nice things for us as well.

Since that time, I babysit when they go away on work trips ( 3 or 4 a year so far), and spend a long weekend a month with them. I am jealous of those of you who live close to your grands and get to see them on a daily basis!

Being a grandma is the best!
ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 05-18-2019, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I do agree that it should be a choice to care for grandchildren. I know I would not be able to babysit every day, especially now that heís mobile. I love having a regular day to babysit and then other random times depending on the week. I love that he is familiar with our house and used to being with us. I bear the brunt of the supervision of him due to my husbandís health. I love every minute with him, but I also like the down time when he goes home.

musiclover

I'm on call as needed
Old 05-18-2019, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

When I retired it was because I wanted to spend time with my two grandboys who are little. I was in my 60s when they each came along.

DGS #1 needed daycare his first summer. I spent 5 weeks at his house, all day every day. It was hard work, and I went home each day exhausted! But now, I realize that he and I are closer than he and his other set of grandparents, probably because he bonded with me so early. He said my name when he was about 7 months old. I only watch him now when mama or daddy have to work late or need a date night. I did establish some boundaries with my daughter about watching him full time after the first summer.

DGS #2 I watch when he is mildly sick and can't go to daycare and for date nights for his parents. I told both my adult kids when I retired that they didn't have to use their sick leave when the boys were sick unless I wasn't available. I figure I have enough built-up immunities from all my years teaching that I don't worry about catching anything.

My house is exactly in between the two grandboys and I like it that way.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

babysitting
Old 05-18-2019, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My grandkids live 2 1/2 hours away by plane, so I don't get to babysit them regularly. I have babysat them in the past for a week at a time as the parents went on a trip. I would fly there, take them to school and sports/music activities, birthday parties, and more. We'd also go on bike rides, shop at the farmers market, check out a museum, go to the climbing gym. The last time was last summer, when both of them were in summer day camp. I miss them and may just fly out and visit for a week this summer.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Grandkids
Old 05-19-2019, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I did not babysit my first two granddaughters because I was working and they lived about 50 minutes away. My third one I babysat as needed to give parents a break she only lived 1 mile away. My last one lives with us so I babysat for 2 years while her Mom works at.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-19-2019, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I agreed to watch my gd three days a week from ten to three thirty. I have enjoyed the time with her and although it is difficult I know that life can turn on a dime.With perspective from recent family events I wanted to enjoy life from her toddler eyes. I am going to suggest finding a morning pre school for her very soon because she is wanting more peer interaction.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 05-20-2019, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I've provided child care for my DD1 only because her job requires strange hours and there is no way she could work and find someone to watch him evenings and weekends. It was very difficult at times and I have sought support here a LOT. It has smoothed out now that he is older (6)

I admit it took a lot out of me but I still think I grew more and became a better person for doing it. I did tell her NO MORE FREEBIES! but they are NOT planning to have more than one child.

There were some rough times but I still would do it again. I think.
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 05-21-2019, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Every Thursday night my 2 year old grand-daughter sleeps over so I can care for her Friday (this give her mom with 3 month old twins somewhat of a break).

Summers we got into the pattern of watching the 5 years old and 3 year old boys every Thursday and Friday, and doing fun things. We will continue that this summer, adding 2 year old grand-daughter.

It is fun, but yes, it wears me out. I personally couldn't handle any more on a regular basis.
grade2rocks is online now   Reply With Quote

slg

babysitting
Old 05-21-2019, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I watch my granddaughter once a week, but I also help if something comes up. If DH and I have a trip planned they can pick up a day at daycare, or the other grandma happily takes time off and drives from 90 minutes away.

Baby Boy is due soon and after my DDIL's maternity leave I will be watching two little ones! I am hoping that goes well. I did it with my kids, so I've still got the ability but not necessarily the agility!
slg is online now   Reply With Quote

iluvmy3kids

Grand Babies
Old 05-21-2019, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I have 3 grandbabies all from my daughter. Their ages are 4, 2&1/2, and 1. I retired to spend more time with them as my daughter is a stay at home mom and would come to visit Grandpa (as he retired before me) often. I was a bit jealous (not a good quality I know)! They only live half an hour away so my daughter will now call when she needs me. I am exhausted when they visit, but I wouldn't have it any other way!! The 2 youngest do not sleep well and they take their turns getting up at night. It makes the exhaustion even worse when you don't get to sleep. They will be staying with use for a week in late June and I am already tired thinking about it! Like I said, I wouldn't have it any other way, but I will really be ready for them to go home so I can take a nap!
iluvmy3kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

My grandson lives with me....
Old 05-21-2019, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

...about half the time. We lost his mother (my daughter) to cancer a few years ago and his dad works 12 hour shifts. Dad has to go to work at 4:00 a.m. which makes it pretty hard to get his son to school or even to daycare before school. And, honestly, although he has a good heart, he's really not mature enough to attempt single parenthood without considerable help.

I did take early retirement for my grandson's sake because I couldn't manage all the evening/weekend obligations plus a 30 minute commute, plus the majority of the responsibility for 6-year-old at my age. (I do still work - a 40% job with few evening/weekend obligations and no commute.) It was well worth it. He's such a blessing to me. I don't know how I would have survived the loss of my only child if I hadn't had her little boy to look after.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 05-21-2019, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Oh, Tori58, how sad for you! Iím so sorry. Iím so glad you have your little grandson to hold!

Tapdancesub

Old 05-24-2019, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I donít have any grands yet, but hope to help out if needed. My parents had both passed before my kids came along and my in-laws had no interest.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

Old 05-24-2019, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

We are very lucky to live 5 doors down from our oldest DS and DIL. We see the grandkids nearly every day. We babysit whenever we are asked, but they don't take advantage of us. Sometimes we walk down to their house and get the girls to ride their bikes with us while we walk the dog. Or we go get them to come play at our house. We take them to get snowballs, and we have weenie roasts in the back yard. They come hang out with us if Mom needs to run to the grocery store. We see them very often, but not necessarily because we are babysitting.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

csb/5th

I keep my grandson while his parents work
Old 05-26-2019, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

My grandson was born on November 8, 2016, and I retired the last day of November 2016. Perfect timing! I started keeping him full time while his mommy and daddy went to work when he was 2 months old. He is now 2 1/2. I have loved every minute of my time with him. We laugh a lot! He is so funny! I am so happy to be able to be with and take care of this precious child in my home Monday -Friday. We stay busy reading, playing, building with blocks, going to the park, going to the library for storytime, walking in the neighborhood, watching Paw Patrol, snuggling, playing in the backyard, and now he is riding his tricycle. Love, love, love this time with him! 💙💙💙
csb/5th is offline   Reply With Quote