The VENT

Clothing Nightmare

>

FittingIn

FittingIn

Clothing Nightmare
Old 05-24-2019, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone, not sure if anyone else has seen this issue but there is one of our office staff that somehow gets away with wearing some clothes at times that we sort donít allow students to wear.
To be specific.. skirts that at are inappropriate and too short and tops showing off far too much cleavage.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-24-2019, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not your circus, not your monkeys.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I would not get involved...
Old 05-24-2019, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That being said, when I was the union's Building Executive, we had a teacher who dressed like that. The principal came to me about it and I contacted our union president to address it. We had a building meeting without identifying individuals.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-24-2019, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1. Student dress codes and adult dress codes are not the same.
2. If you are not the boss, it is not your job to police clothing.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-24-2019, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Surely you can find something better to occupy your mind than seething about what the office staff wears.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Hammy6714

Old 05-24-2019, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I completely understand your frustration....we have teachers in my building that wear yoga pants and workout leggings ALL THE TIME! It' is frustrating but it is beyond our control.
Hammy6714 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 05-24-2019, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I get it. Itís not our office staff, but a couple of teachers. One wears yoga pants and t-shirts all the time, and the other one wears leggings with shirts that donít cover her butt. Both things weíve been told in staff meetings not to do, and both things keep happening.
checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Ha!
Old 05-24-2019, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sheer yoga pants that showed her thong, baby doll tshirts with no bra, and her size D girls needed some support.

Having a union is a beautiful thing. My DD couldn't wear the sheer yoga pants with the thong at her high school.

Everyone called her Ms. Jiggles out of ear shot, and the principal moved her into a non classroom position. Then she crabbed she couldn't transfer out of the school. We have three mega churches in the area. 300+ applications per opening. The principals aren't signing up for that phone call nightmare.

I usually fly below the radar, but let your freak flag fly if you got union backing.

The bulk of my sister's day this week in HR, for a conservative company (like banking), is pulling summer interns aside. Telling the jammie pants and ratty tshirts don't fly in her industry. They have an actual manual "how to dress". The bulk of the interns never look at it. Good times.

Anyhoo...How this person dresses is no reflection on you. I'd let it go.

It's office staff? Only teachers are union here. I'm surprised the parents haven't dragged her on FB.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

The California district I worked in
Old 05-24-2019, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

was full of teachers who had no idea that Saturday morning, skin-tight sweat pants with short tops that barely reached their waist, with tacky flip-flops showing their never-pedicured feet were disgusting and unprofessional.

I know of principals whose regulation outfit consisted of ill-fitting jeans and a sloppy T-shirt or untucked long-sleeved button shirt (both males and females).

We had one doozy who taught Economics and American Government to seniors. She was, shall we say, on the plump side. Daily wore skirts so short that nothing was left to the imagination when she bent over (and she seemed to bend over a lot, especially in the staff lounge), very skimpy low-cut spaghetti-strap tops with push-up bras. We all laughed at her. She seemed to think she was still in high school herself and she was 50 if she was a day.

Yuck. What is wrong with people?
Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 05-24-2019, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Office staff personnel are the first people the public sees when they enter your school. It seems the principal would want them to look and act professionally. It's up to the principal to monitor the dress of the office staff.

This falls under the control of the administration, not the teaching staff.

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 05-24-2019, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I really don't pay attention to what my coworkers wear. Except for once...

A younger teacher was wearing a white mini skirt and she stood on a chair to reach something on a high shelf and flashed us all her thong!

An older teacher told her "go home and put underwear on... 4th grade boys don't need to see that!"
choppie70 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gifted

Old 05-24-2019, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This reeks of "slut shaming" and jealousy. Mind your business. If it is that bad, someone with actual authority will say something.

Last edited by Gifted; 05-24-2019 at 02:18 PM..
Gifted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 05-24-2019, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

At one of the schools I cover there is a 60 something teacher in yoga pants/ capris everyday. Not flattering, but not my problem.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

This says it all!
Old 05-24-2019, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
This reeks of "slut shaming" and jealousy.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hahahahhhh..

Don't know whether to laugh or cry, but it does illustrate the great divide between people who have a sense of decorum in professional settings and those who do not.

P.S. I am not jealous of women who choose to show their lady parts to one and all during the school day. Was this a for-real comment? Makes me wonder about who is going into the teaching profession.

Last edited by Clarity; 05-25-2019 at 04:37 AM..

FLteachESE

Old 05-24-2019, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have a problem with Gifted and Zias comments... there is no mention on slut shaming and or jealousy... sounds more like you are offended by someone addressing those clothes as inappropriate with your comments. And this is the vent board Zia, let her vent without your judgement.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

To OP
Old 05-24-2019, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I really donít think it is your job to decide what is appropriate dress for other people. She has a supervisor and if that person feels there is an issue they are the ones to address it.

I feel sad that as women some of us choose to pass judgment upon others for the way they dress. To me it is not different than saying someone was asking to be sexually assaulted because they were wearing a short skirt. We have lived with enough of this behavior from men and I donít expect it from my sisters.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

Vent board
Old 05-24-2019, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Ummm....OP simply vented an OPINION. She didnít say she was going to tell the P or confront anyone. Calm down people !
newspedteach is online now   Reply With Quote
DontReallyCar

DontReallyCar

Old 05-24-2019, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Unless she/he just flash me, I really don't even see what they have on. You could ask me 3 minutes later what someone had on and I couldn't tell you. And even if I see their toes, boobies or any other body parts, I really don't care. If they want to look stupid, that's their problem. Someone's attire is not really high up in my list of worries.

Having said that, I really dislike people that talk about others clothing and appearances. Why? Because people did this to me and I know how painful this is. By golly there wasn't anything wrong with my clothing. I wasn't showing a d@mn thing. I was criticized for overdressing and how that affected my poor students self esteem and how they couldn't afford nothing and I was being insensitive.

marguerite2

Old 05-24-2019, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I agree that if you are not the person's supervisor it's not your job to worry about how anyone dresses. But, I once did say something to a principal. The office assistant she hired walked around all day with a t-shirt I thought inappropriate. It said: ATF - alcohol, tobacco, firearms - Who's got the chips? Principal said she hadn't noticed the shirt.

Last edited by marguerite2; 05-24-2019 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: spelling
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

allier

let her vent....
Old 05-24-2019, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

We had a para prof. who did that. We work in a diverse school with young children and varying religious beliefs. Our principal noticed this and asked if the para would mind putting a sweater over the blouse that day. It took care of the issue.
allier is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 05-24-2019, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

It is our circus. Look, there are people who question teachers. More importantly, there are people actively try to devalue teachers. Those who want to dress like they belong in the zoo just fuel the arguments. Why do we need raises when we're clearly wearing what we found in a garbage can. I'm not fighting for someone who doesn't respect the profession. Do you think other professionals are having these conversations? No. You wouldn't see this on the say an accountant forum.

bGracie

Old 05-24-2019, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

No one is shaming anyone else. Sharing an opinion on an anonymous board without mentioning names is innocuous.

Some people just don't care enough to dress professionally. Let them wear all the short skirts and low cut shirts they want... outside of school.
bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

UniversalDes

Old 05-24-2019, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I wouldn't get involved simply because it could mean putting yourself in a position you don't want to be in. I always wore business casual into school but because of health issues, I always switched into a pair of tennis shoes I kept beneath my desk and switched out of them when I had to go somewhere else in the building.

I was always business casual/professional from my feet up as it was our dress code. Granted, I taught Second and then all of K-2 so I went home covered in glue, marker, and everything. My dry cleaners loved me!
UniversalDes is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-24-2019, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Quote:
And this is the vent board Zia, let her vent without your judgement.
Alright, alright. What I should have said is, "I have way more pressing issues occupying my mind than what office staff wears."

Persephone

For Me
Old 05-25-2019, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I wish I could wear the flip flops and adorable li'l clothes my colleagues wear.

I'm a voluptuous Botticelli gal...48 DD...so I wear triple tee-shirts to keep my "gals" in check.

And maxi skirts to keep everything else under control.

As for flip flops, everyone in my school wears them from March-June and their feet look really cute.

Not me...I cover these doggies up.

Now, when I get home, I immediately take everything off.

Ahhh...freedom.
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

I have seen this type
Old 05-25-2019, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Of thing a few times.

One, the teacher was married to a teacher much older than her that she met as a student at that school. Very short skirts, tight fitting tops. I found it very inappropriate on a couple of fronts.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

FittingIn Clothing
Old 05-25-2019, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

We just got this (actual quote) last week of school from our P:

A few notes about next week.
Dress code is relaxed next week. If you would like to wear shorts you may, please remember the no hoochie shorts rule.

Have a Happy Saturday
needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-25-2019, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Quote:
I feel sad that as women some of us choose to pass judgment upon others for the way they dress. To me it is not different than saying someone was asking to be sexually assaulted because they were wearing a short skirt. We have lived with enough of this behavior from men and I donít expect it from my sisters.
This. Thank you. I hope that I am judged by my teaching and the ability to do my job well, not by my wardrobe.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsFrazzled

I agree
Old 05-25-2019, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

With AlwaysSummer. As teachers, we are always treated as the least professional of the professional world and I canít help but think itís for reasons like this.

And even though the post says it is an office staff, it may or may not be a teacher. But regardless, being that they work in the office which is where every parent or guest has to visit first and they are this person, itís sets a bad impression if they are dressed inappropriately.

When buying clothes for work, I stay away from anything that might be too tight or revealing in anyway. I donít want my students to see something they shouldnít.

And I donít think there was any need to jump to slut shaming. As my 9th grade English teacher used to say, ďone band, one sound.Ē If one teacher or building staff dresses inappropriately, I think it can make us all look bad.

We are held to such a high standard and it is like everyone out there is just waiting for us fail.
MrsFrazzled is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-25-2019, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Quote:
I hope that I am judged by my teaching and the ability to do my job well, not by my wardrobe.
Or our bodies....

sonoma

Amen zia
Old 05-25-2019, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

!!!!!!!!!!
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Professional
Old 05-26-2019, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

If teachers want to be treated as professionals, they need to dress the part. Not mocking any particular article of clothing but an adult should be able to figure out what is appropriate. It got so bad in our system, a dress code had to be established. They brought this upon themselves...
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-26-2019, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Quote:
If teachers want to be treated as professionals, they need to dress the part.
I will say again: as a professional Kindergarten teacher, that means casual clothes. I am a human Kleenex, on the floor, covered in glue, glitter, boogers, tears, and the occasional blood and vomit. This is not an environment for uncomfortable or silk clothes.

kahluablast

Old 05-26-2019, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

And what is professional for a kindergarten teacher on any given day may or may not be professional for a middle school or a high school teacher (or even a 3rd grade teacher). THere are days that I dress much less "professional" than others. If my class is going to be working in our compost pile, I am not wearing a dress and sandals.

There has to be some leeway in a school setting. But regardless, there are things that are not professional on any day and should not be seen on a regular basis.

I don't think there is anything wrong with cleavage showing at school. Girls got 'em, and you shouldn't have to mummy wrap them. But there is a point where too much is too much. However, who is in charge of the too much? If your boss has a problem, then they should say something. I know that sometimes I have boys who are too interested in the cleavage. When I find that happening, I modify my dress somewhat. I don't put them totally away, but if I feel uncomfortable, then too much is showing and I adapt my clothing.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Zia and others who are arguing this point
Old 05-26-2019, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

as somehow derogatory to women. That is not where I am coming from at all.

I get that K teachers cannot wear silks or uncomfortable clothing. But Zia, are you wearing baggy necked shirts so that your kids can look down them and see your bra? Are you wearing short-short skirts that show your thong (something I have seen more than once on a female teacher who was actually sitting on an elementary-sized chair and repeatedly crossing and uncrossing her legs). Are you showing up in a tank top that exposes your nipples? This is what we are talking about. Clothing that is perfect for a night out at the clubs is not also appropriate for school dress. And it has nothing to do with slut-shaming, a phrase that has been totally misused in this discussion.

Also, there are MALE teachers who are required to dress professionally. We had a male sub come to school in Bermuda shorts one day. He was promptly sent home. He was not showing anything in particular, it just was not appropriate dress. He was not slut-shamed, just given a clue about looking professional.

BTW, would you all be fine if a male teacher showed up in a tight tank that showed his chest hair and tattoos and shorts that were short enough for his dangly parts to hang out? Lets get some common sense into this discussion.

Last edited by Clarity; 05-26-2019 at 09:11 AM..
Southernmrs

Southernmrs

At our school...
Old 05-26-2019, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

At our school, we have a teacher that routinely does not follow our teacher dress code. Skirts are too short, skirts are see through, or she wears school t-shirts on days that we are not allowed to wear t-shirts, etc. She continues to wear these outfits so we are all assuming that she has never been called out about it from the principal. What she wears doesnít keep me up at nights. The fact that she gets away with it, but others get in trouble, that is what keeps me up at night. For example, we have two days a week that we can wear school t-shirts. One specific shirt on Wednesday and one on Friday. A teacher with brand new twins who were up all night sick (husband out of town), accidentally wore the wrong shirt on the wrong day and got sent home to change (this teacher never wears t-shirts, so she couldnít remember what day was what shirt). Yet, other teacher was prancing around in a sheer white tennis skirt with a top that was way too small. She was not sent home. That bothers me.

Zia

Clarity
Old 05-26-2019, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I think there are actually two discussions overlapping here. One is "teachers who dress in jeans and flips flops don't look professional" and the other is "teachers shouldn't dress provocatively."

The first I will argue 'til I'm blue in the face--obviously.

The second is trickier because it is subjective. No, I don't think seeing actual vulva or scrotum is appropriate in ANY setting. And I have to ask about this:

Quote:
Are you showing up in a tank top that exposes your nipples?
You mean actual nip/areola are exposed? Or it's cold?

I personally dress very boringly in jeans and regular shirts. I'm not trendy or fashionable. I'm happiest in my hiking or work out clothes. None of this (other than the too casual argument) applies to me personally.

Clarity

The tank top did not literally expose
Old 05-26-2019, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

bare nipples, and it wasn't cold, but nothing was left to the imagination. .

I was always dressed in a boring way, too. The examples I have seen were often provocative in the same way that a train wreck is provocative, can't look away, and always unhelpful in the setting.

Some people just never look in a mirror. If a male or female (teacher, student, principal) comes to school wearing an outfit that is getting more attention than the topic being taught, someone needs to give that person some advice. It's not about shaming anyone. It is about a little thing called decorum, which we seem to have lost sight of in education.

happygal

Hmmmm
Old 05-26-2019, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Before i became a teacher i might wear a swimsuit top to town in the summer. Not after.

Working in classrooms it does matter that you look clean and decently dressed. Clothes DO make the man.

Anyone who thinks otherwise certainly can. It is up to the administration to set the standards and to monitor that the dress code is followed. We are role models whether we like it or not.

As a substitute i found that the more professional i dressed the better response i got from the students.

To dress sloppy sort of says you will accept sloppy. ...
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsFrazzled

I
Old 05-27-2019, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Think the main point is that whatever you wear, it needs to be appropriate. I wear jeans and colored pants every day of the week with a cute top. So some may not consider that professional. But regardless, I always make sure what I am wearing isn’t too revealing, right, or see through.
I don’t want the teenage boys I teach getting the wrong idea.

I don’t think anyone is saying that you have to wear business professional every day. I think most of use can agree that we walk a lot and deal with kids, big or little, and we want to be comfortable. But again, there is a line between what is appropriate and inappropriate and when I say that I mean we shouldn’t be flashing our boobs or butts.

Last edited by MrsFrazzled; 05-28-2019 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: Typo
MrsFrazzled is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Old adage
Old 05-28-2019, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

Dress for the position you want, not for the position you have.

That said, to each their own.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote