Help

National Board Certification

C4 ENL SN&PN impact on students but no tangible evidence

>

minnie2019

C4 ENL SN&PN impact on students but no tangible evidence
Old 06-01-2019, 03:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to improve my co-teaching for my PN, which will have an impact on me, on the core teacher, on my students. But I cannot think of an evidence for proving impact on students' LEARNing as a direct result of me meeting the PN. I could show Assessment results from the beginning of the school year, and compare them to results later in the school year, but the growth can be attributed to other factors, not necessarily my co-teaching. I could use as evidence observational notes (on the students' involvement in the class discussions, group assignments) and sts' testimonials of my role in helping them better understand the content. Would that be considered good evidence, or is it an indirect link to their learning, therefore not strong evidence?

The SN will be linked to newcomers (35% of ELLs last school year were newcomers in my school). I have a strong plan of how to collaborate, advocate, lead at school level, and reach out to the families and community. However, again, I feel that I cannot prove a direct impact on sts' LEARNIng.

Both of my needs would answer to numerous references in the ENL standards, and I feel they would help me demonstrate I am meeting the requirements for my standards (especially Teacher as Learner and Professional Leadership and Advocacy standards). Also, there are even examples of the activities in the standards that I want to implement in these two needs.

What do you think?

Last edited by minnie2019; 06-01-2019 at 03:41 AM..
minnie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-01-2019, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

TBH, I think "improve my co-teaching" is very vague. Specificity is key; you want a laser sharp focus. I think devising evidence is difficult because your goal is blurry. I'm not saying this won't work..but think about how you can strengthen it, tighten it up.

You're def wise to start thinking about this now. C4 is a good one to start brainstorming during summer. And, if it helps, I came up with and rejected multiple SN/PLN plans. And looking to the evidence first, before spending too much time on a dead-end road helped me identify the dead end roads!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Old 06-01-2019, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am thinking about what evidence I could provide, and that's why I am second guessing my choices.
I have specific goals linked to becoming a better co-teacher, but for the sake of shortening my posted message, I described just a bit of my ideas.
I am trying to organize my ideas for the SN/PN in the format of the AAT: who am I? What are my needs as a teacher? How can I get there? Goals? Reflection, etc.
I am thinking of the evidence which proves impact, but NOT straight to the sts' LEARNING, but other aspects of the sts as a whole, if that makes any sense (i.e. lower affective filter, welcoming environment, cultural shock, reluctance to speak up in class b/c of language proficiency)
I'll keep digging up for other ideas.
I like posting here during the summer, I can get wise input before I go on with a dead-end plan and run of time during the school year.

Zia

Old 06-01-2019, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I am thinking of the evidence which proves impact, but NOT straight to the sts' LEARNING, but other aspects of the sts as a whole, if that makes any sense (i.e. lower affective filter, welcoming environment, cultural shock, reluctance to speak up in class b/c of language proficiency)
As a TESOL and ECE, I get how crucial all those factors are, but....C4 wants evidence of direct impact on student learning. Keep chipping away!

NBCoach

Old 06-02-2019, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is a tough one - co-teaching. It is too broad and general. I agree with Zia that this needs to be honed much sharper and more specific. When I read the term, I think that you want to become better at working with another teacher(s)...that maybe you push into classes? Or that you work all day in a classroom with another teacher? Could you explain your situation (teaching context) further, please?

Just thinking out loud, here. Let's say you find ways to co-teach better, work more efficiently with another teacher(s). What would need to take place in order for THAT factor to impact student learning? Very tough to figure that out.

I will suggest working on the name/focus of that need. The big question is what do YOU need to LEARN in order to teach something better? I can see that working more collaboratively/efficiently with another teacher (co-teaching) could play a role, but I'll advise you to choose something more concrete and specific...something that involves PD, or reading on a specific topic. Something that you increased your LEARNING about and the steps you took to acquire that learning. You need to tell HOW you came to know you had this need, WHAT you did to address it, and WHAT the impact on student learning was. Choose something that allows you to gather this type of evidence.

NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Old 06-02-2019, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am co-teaching 4 HS courses: ELA 2,3,4 and Biology. I lead 2 English Language Development classes (ELD) w sts that are in the classes that I co-teach. So, I think becoming a more efficient co-teacher is essential for the sts' success. However, I understand that idea is too general.
I appreciate both Zia's and your advice. I will try to find PN&SN that are laser sharp & have good evidence of impact on student learning. (No new ideas so far)

Zia

Old 06-02-2019, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I appreciate both Zia's and your advice. I will try to find PN&SN that are laser sharp & have good evidence of impact on student learning. (No new ideas so far)
It'll come to you. You have time (again, wise to start early!). Just keep thinking and chipping away at it.

minnie2019

Old 06-03-2019, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have some ideas.
For 2019-20, the HS wants to implement personalized instruction and project based learning (PBL). They will have training for the Ts 6 days during the summer, but I won't attend since my hiring date begins in August (I worked in the same HS in 2017-18, took a one year break due to having a baby, who's already 6months now) So...
For the PN: expand my knowledge in PBL. Evidence of how I discovered the need: the other Ts had the training, my knowledge in PBL is very limited. Evidence I met the need: read articles online, watch YouTube videos, attend a PD, implement at least one PBL w my students. If I implement correctly, the impact (according to research) on sts' learning should be in: student engagement (evidence: observational notes, student testimonials), acquiring 21st century skills (Evidence proven by mastery in x, y, z as shown in...), and improved academic performance (evidence: compare scores from SA beginning of school year to scores in February, March; analyze sts' growth in reading, speaking, writing, visual literacy domains)
For the SN: improve writing (W) skills w/ focus on research (since 11th graders need to write a research paper as a graduation requirement)
How I discovered the need: lowest scores for my sts (and all ELLs at my school) on the ACCESS test (year test for ELLs) are in W (evidence: data from the test in prior school years). Also, talked to the other 3ESL teachers at my school about this (evidence: minute notes). I can also talk to other ESL teachers in the district about 11th graders' (beginning/intermediate ELLs) struggles w/ writing their research papers (we have meetings every quarter). Research in the ELL instruction states that W is the last domain in which ELLs develop proficiency.
How I met the need: read articles online, included at least one W task a week in my instruction (linked to specific steps in W a research paper) explicitly teach grammar (evidence: my lesson plans, and unit in C4 will focus on W), participate in a PLC at school, possibly a PD in the district (evidence: certificate from the PD).
Collaboration w other teachers: planning w/ ELA teachers 10th, 11th, 12th (evidence: emails, ongoing notes from meetings). Also, as 11th graders need to write a research project as a requirement for graduation, there will be lots of collaboration w ELA teachers on that (and co-teaching)
Advocacy: shared the Can-do descriptors for W and a student learning profile w/ the other teachers in the beginning of the year (evidence: testimonials from teachers of how useful the profiles and Can do descriptors at a glance were). I shared W strategies for ELLs (evidence: whole staff emails, possibly testimonials from Ts who implemented the strategies)
Leadership: model a lesson on how to teach W (evidence: teacher affidavit), I led a presentation on teaching ELLs in one of the PLC at school (evidence: PPT slides, participant surveys)
Impact on students: growth in their W skills (evidence: their compiled work for the research throughout the school year)

Long explanations. I said to myself I am not going to begin detailing the ideas before I decide on them, but as I was writing, more things came to mind.
So: PN sharp enough?
how about SN?
I will polish everything once I get your input/okay that the ideas are laser sharp enough.

Last edited by minnie2019; 06-03-2019 at 06:51 AM..

minnie2019

Old 06-03-2019, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

After 2h, I am already doubting the PN
I re-read the C4 instructions for this part:
Quote:
a need for PL by yourself and/or by yourself and your colleagues that you identified as a result of your knowledge of students (either a particular group or accumulated over time) and assessment practices
I am lost My PN didn't result from KOS or from assessment practices!!! I want to pull my hair out, although there's no need for that, it's already coming out in chunks
I spent 5h yesterday doing things for NBCT (&at least 100h already since April). So my husband tells me "I hope you've written 1page at least" I yelled the answer in my mind "No, I don't have anything written down yet!!!!" OMG! It's ridiculous!
However, I still have time. By the end of August, I'll have 1 page written down, no matter what!!!

Zia

Old 06-03-2019, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
(either a particular group or accumulated over time)
This is what you need to focus on. Accumulated over time indicates it is not tied to the Group Profile/KOS specific to your current students. It is a general knowledge of students at your school. Don't sweat this.

The SN/PLN DO NOT have to tie to your KOS/Group Profile. They can, but don't have to. You MUST derive your unit/assessments from the current class specific Group Profile/KOS. I hope this helps!

NBCoach

Old 06-03-2019, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ditto to all Zia said. I think your PLN CAN work. You've already thought it through pretty well. You'll be ok with how you discovered the need. There could be hard data (test scores) you can bring in, but your general knowledge of the kids, overall, can work too. The fact that your school is adopting PBL etc. is also compelling. See if you can find any information your district has used to rationalize this choice. The SN sounds fine too.

There are probably other things you could use if you think long and hard enough, but honestly, the sooner you can come up with something concrete, such as you've discussed in your post, the better off you'll be. One can "think things to death" in this process. This all sounds workable...consider making that choice and get going with it.

As to writing... other than getting some basic ideas on paper, similar to what's in your post, maybe collecting some data that would show "need", it's hard to do much writing now, because, nothing has been implemented yet etc. Don't stress about not having completed much writing yet. Your husband means well, but he won't have an understanding of the process and how it works. Be patient with him! !
NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

minnie2019

Old 06-03-2019, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thank you both. I do feel I am creating checklists for all the checklists to make sure I touch every requirement. Also, I will have multiples (not misspelled) of rewrites...
But I am encouraged by the fact these two ideas will work. The PN and SN have to be implemented year long, so beginning with the end in mind (evidence) should help me take the steps towards that evidence (per Bobbie Faulkner's advice)
Now I can move forward to the next item on my checklists
And...to my next long posted message...