Help me with this idea for Latitude/Longitude - ProTeacher Community

saraebeth

Help me with this idea for Latitude/Longitude
Old 10-31-2007, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, I NEED to make social studies more fun in this next rotation (we team and I teach it to everyone). Tell me if you think this might work. We have a painted US map on the playground. Do you think it would work if I either used rope or sidewalk chalk to indicate latitude/longitude. I know it wouldn't be exact but it would get them to get the idea of finding the latitude/longitude of a certain state. I have NEVER taught this and am wondering if it would work. Any ideas on how to make it work?

saraebeth is offline   Reply With Quote

dolmansaxlil

Old 11-01-2007, 02:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That sounds like a great idea! You could even turn it into a game, and have kids move around the map per your lat and long instructions.

When I introduce latitude and longitude, I start by coming into class bouncing a ball. I use a plain green or blue ball with no markings. I stick a small sticker onto it somewhere. I then toss it to a kid and ask them to describe where the sticker is without pointing. They realize how difficult this is. We have a discussion about how we could make it easier, and they usually come up with a grid system. If they don't, I lead them there. Then I draw an equator and prime meridian on the ball, as well as a couple of other lines of lat/long. This helps them see the usefulness of lat and long.

When I'm teaching the ways to remember which is latitude and which is longitude, I use 2 oranges. I cut one up and talk about cutting the equator (cut as if you were going to make orange juice) and the other with the prime meridian (as if you were going to cut the orange into wedges). I then cut it into slices that you would put into a drink, and sections as if you were going to eat it. I then hand out the slices for them to eat. It's just a good visual to refer back to when they are trying to remember which lines run which direction.
dolmansaxlil is offline   Reply With Quote

foxglove

Use classroom ceiling as grid
Old 11-01-2007, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi,

When I introduce latititude and longitude I use the grid on the drop ceiling of the classroom. I label North, South, East and West on the correct walls. Then I label the Prime Meridian and the Equator and label out from those two lines. Then I have the students move their desks so that they are under connecting coordinates and explain the latitude measurement always comes first, then longitude. Then when I throw a ball to a student they must give me the correct coordinates for their location. Then they throw the ball to somene else, etc. After a few moments of that I have students change locations and we do it again. Last year I even had the custodian and principal who thought what we were doing looked like fun and came in and joined us. The custodian was having so much fun he didn't even care I'd used duct tape on the wall to label the lines!
foxglove is offline   Reply With Quote

Mizzou fan

Latitude and Longitude
Old 09-18-2008, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That was a cool idea to use for latitude and longitude. I will try it.I teach Ancient Civilization, but still think kids need to constantly review geo skills. This would be a good game to leave up and play during free time.
We play Wet and Dry, I have coordinates printed on cards, they find on a globe where that coordinate is. The object of the game is to not get wet, and after ten tries land on as many different continents as possible. We celebrate being wet and dry with juice and graham crackers.
Libby
Mizzou fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Nik

Two Ideas
Old 09-19-2008, 02:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love the idea of using the map on the playground. My school does not have one though. Instead, I move all of the chairs to the perimeter of the room and have the kids sit in a circle. Then I point out how the walls are labeled north, south, east, and west. As I explain each line, I have the students hold pieces of yarn. The red yarn is the equator and goes across the middle of our circle from east to west. The white yarn is the Prime Meridian and stretches across the middle from north to south. The Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn are orange. The Arctic Circle and the Antarctic Circle are lavender. Then I use black yarn for more lines of latitude and longitude. Once we have all of the lines in place, we practice. I have the students stand somewhere on our grid and tell me their latitude and longitude. I also give them a set of coordinates and have them stand on that spot. The kids love this and remember it all year. Very hands on and gets them out of their chairs.

Also, I show the students how your mouth opens across when you say latitude and up and down when you say longitude. Try it. It really works and kids will remember it. You can see them mouthing the words later during tests or assignments. (I should say I exagerate the a in latitude and the o in longitude.)

Nik is offline   Reply With Quote

redseventeen

Old 09-19-2008, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Nik - So I'm sitting at my computer and just tried that! Wow! It totally works! What a great idea!
redseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote