November projects - ProTeacher Community

learn

November projects
Old 11-02-2007, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any crafty ideas for the month of November to display on our walls?

Thanks,
Learn

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

miss.anderson

November project
Old 11-02-2007, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have one that comes out looking awesome, but is kind of a pain to do...

I have a coloring page of a cornucopia (I'm sure you could print one off a website) and I give each kid a copy of the page and a transparency to put over it. (You have to tape or paper clip the transparency to the coloring page.) Then you let them color the page with different colored Sharpies (or any permanent marker I guess). Now here's the annoying part -- after they color the picture, you take away the coloring page from behind the transparency and the black lines of the coloring page are no longer there. So last year I traced all 20 coloring pages onto the transparency around what they had colored in, using a black Sharpie. This took approximately forever!

(This year I am going to try to run the transparencies through a copier, so that the picture of the cornucopia is actually on the transparency and they can just color it in, but I'm not sure it will work. Has anyone ever tried this?)

Anyway, once u have the transparency colored it, you take a piece of aluminum foil the size of the transparency, crumple it up, then (carefully!) uncrumple it and put it behind the transparency. So now you basically have a piece of tin foil with a transparency that they colored on in front of it.

Then you take a 12 x 18 piece of construction paper (I think that's the size...you know what I mean, the big construction paper) and use it to make a frame. (Basically you cut an 8.5 x 11 hole in the middle so the transparency/tin foil will be framed by the construction paper)

Does that make any sense to anyone? It really looks awesome when its finished - I wish I could show you!
miss.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

I wish...
Old 11-02-2007, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I could see it too! Do you have a picture of it that you can attach to this website and/or email me a picture of it?

Thanks,
learn

P.S. How long does it take to do? Maybe I can have a parent help me out.
learn is offline   Reply With Quote

annie ann

Fall Wreath
Old 11-02-2007, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Take paperplates and cut out the middle. Cut squares of tissue paper (fall colors). Have the kids glue the squares around the paper plate. Glue on a string to hang and some raffi in a bow. Tada! A fall wreath.
annie ann is offline   Reply With Quote

SaraFirst

fall craft
Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You should be able to run the transparencies through the copier, depending on what kind they are. That sounds like a neat project. We just made turkey glyphs and wrote turkey recipes.

SaraFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

SaraFirst

Another wreath idea
Old 11-02-2007, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have made a wreath where you cut out the center of the paper plate then glue paper leaves (the kids trace stencils onto construction paper) around the plate. They write something they are thankful for on each leaf.
SaraFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

zale

Turkeys
Old 11-02-2007, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I send home a Turkey with a note attached to it and the student and family have to decorate the Turkey in some way. Not just by coloring. We hang up in the halls for conferences and they turn out really cute.
zale is offline   Reply With Quote

GoTeachers

Old 11-02-2007, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have the kids make place mats. I have them bring in 5 or 6 leaves from home (or anywhere they want). Then they get a large piece of construction paper (I use a beige color). I have them do leaf rubbings all over it using fall leaf colors only. Then after they fill up most of the paper with that they then glue their leaves on the paper anyway they want. They can also title it if they want. You can also have the write something that they are thankful for, then I laminate them and they have a place mat to use for Thanksgiving or whenever. They love them!
GoTeachers is offline   Reply With Quote

Corker

Transparencies
Old 11-02-2007, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You can run your picture through a copier. Just make sure that they are plain copy transparencies. If you use the wrong kind you can melt the transparency on the drum and the service guy won't be very happy with you. I've done this same project at Christmas time using a picture of an old fashioned lantern with a candle and holly.
Corker is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

stained glass
Old 11-03-2007, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You can use this for any season... right now, we did it with leaves.

Find a simple clip art picture of the object you want. I've attached the leaf one that I used for this one. For winter we do really cute mittens. Paste the clipart to Word, and blow it up big. Then cut out one copy of it and glue it on black paper. Copy on the black paper. So what you'll have is a white object framed all in black.

(Note: The one I'm attaching is done for you b/c I did it in Paint so that the black is already on the page)

Copy enough for your kids. Have them decorate the object and the white frame around it if you've allowed for a frame with MARKER. Has to be marker.

Then they paint baby oil on any white parts. (try to keep it off the black-- you can see in the photo the one that has the baby oil on the black) They wipe it off with paper towels.

When it dries, you'll have stained glass! It is SOOOOO pretty... the light seeps right through all the colored parts. I hang mine all touching each other and it looks like one big stained glass window.

Here's a picture... ignore the rest of the mess- you can see them up on the window in a line.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
BookMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

leaf
Old 11-03-2007, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Here are the leaves they used for this season.
Attached Files
File Type: doc stainedglass leaves.doc (39.0 KB, 351 views)

liketeaching1

Neat stained glass idea
Old 11-03-2007, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm envious of the nice windows, BookMuncher!
liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

Turkey Dressing
Old 11-03-2007, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Last year we were doing a study on our community about the time of Thanksgiving. I took a turkey pattern and let the kids cut it out. Then they "dressed" the turkey for a worker in the community--such as teacher, police officer, doctor, etc. They were really cute.

miss.anderson

Transparencies
Old 11-03-2007, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thanks for letting me know about the transparencies! Before I read your posts, I tried it at school and I definitely used the wrong kind of transparency - it completely melted! (Luckily I was able to pull it out and the copy machine survived)

Today I went to Staples and had them do it for me with the right kind - it came out perfect and it will definitely be much easier than having the kids trace it

I love the idea of doing it at Christmas using a candle/holly picture - maybe I'll try that next year!

Learn - I have my sample that I made at school. I can try to take a picture of it and post it for you on Monday

miss.anderson

Bookmuncher
Old 11-03-2007, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I love the stained glass idea! Simple enough but comes out pretty - that's my idea of a good project!

Do you have the mittens that you do in winter saved? If you do, can you post it? I don't think I'll have time to do it for a fall project, but I would definitely like to try it in the winter.

BookMuncher

mitten
Old 11-03-2007, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I can't seem to get it to upload? I don't know what's wrong with my file. ANyways-- I don't have the mitten one totally done. I had just put the clipart on the page. For the master, I enlarged the mitten and put two of them on a black piece of paper-- I think I turned them opposite of each other.

Here's the clipart itself...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mitten.jpg (16.1 KB, 186 views)

mrsmom

Transparencies Work On Copier
Old 11-03-2007, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I just want to let you know that I always make transparencies on the copier. I've made short books, worksheets, graphs, picture searches, etc. It works great!! Maybe I will try your art idea, although I am having a hard time visualizing the end product... Thanks!!
mrsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

Christmas ornaments/transparencies
Old 11-04-2007, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

A friend of mine received an ornament from her child's K teacher at Christmas. She had printed their pictures on transparencies--small enough to fit inside the clean ornaments. She had added glitter or silvery shreds also. I wish I could see it again in person. It would be a wonderful gift for the kids to give their parents. Anyone familiar with this who knows exactly what to do????

daisycup

Wow!
Old 11-06-2007, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I just did these project today. You were right it was a lot of work, but boy did they turn out great. The kids really enjoyed doing it because it was different than just painting or making a collage! Thanks for the idea!
daisycup is offline   Reply With Quote

Busy_Lil_Bee

family turkey project
Old 11-06-2007, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

i got this idea from PT. today, i sent home a cute turkey (from mailbox reproducable) and a note, asking students and their families to create a disguise for Tom the Turkey so he would be safe this Thanksgiving. The kids were really excited about it and i can't wait to see what all comes back!
Busy_Lil_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote

gel2981

turkey projects
Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

A fun book to share with students about "disguised turkeys" is A Plump and Perky Turkey. I think that's the name of it. I got it from Scholastic.
gel2981 is offline   Reply With Quote

jo

cornucopia
Old 11-11-2007, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Just had to tell you that our class made the cornucopias, we framed them, and put them in the hall for all to see. We got many compliments on them, they are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Do you any winter ideas? Again, thanks!
jo is offline   Reply With Quote

princess125

Stained Glass
Old 10-22-2008, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I was wondering if this idea will still work if i put it on a bulletin board because then the light wont be shining through? Any idea if it will work? Thanks
princess125 is offline   Reply With Quote