Gym Game Ideas

>

Closed Thread

Anon1

Anon1

Gym Game Ideas
Old 03-13-2006, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone have any fun gym ideas for K's? I need some fun activities for them to do during this time! Thanks!

summersoff

Jumping jacks
Old 03-14-2006, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When the kids' legs are out and hands clapped above the head, this is called "teepee" and when the kids' legs are together and hands at their sides, it's "pencil." They can learn this skill slowly as they shout "teepee. . . pencil. . . teepee. . . pencil. . ."
ddb 67

ddb 67

Kindergarten Teacher
Old 03-15-2006, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We've played a fun game called Totally It Tag( came from Healthy PLay Book). As the name implies, all the kids are "it" .Teach them to only tag shoulders and elbows. This game goes really fast. So the kids don't mind that they got tagged( and froze) because they know I'll be starting a frsh round in just a minute. As in all tag games, it helps to set good boundaries.

RebeccaH

Phys Ed Ideas.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This site is fantastic. Has 1000's of easy games and activities.

http://www.pedagonet.com/PhysEd/physed.htm

Wanda

Gym games
Old 03-16-2006, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Line Tag
Tag but all players must remain on the lines.

Freeze Tage
When they get tagged, they must remain still and put their arms out in a t position. They can be released when someone else runs under their arms.

North South East West (or Ninja Turtles or Tellitubies depending on what is on T.V.)
All the students line up on one wall. The walls are named N, S, E, W, or Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa-laa and Po. You call out one of the names and the students have to run to that wall.

Ms. K

Old 03-16-2006, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We play a game called "My Backyard". I set up cones and tell the kids it is the back yard and they can go anywhere they want but they can't touch anyone and they can't leave the yard. After about a minute I tell them that I want to put in a pool so the yard gets smaller, but the rules stay the same. I keep adding stuff to the back yard so that the space gets smaller and smaller. If kids step out or touch each other they have to sit out.

hescollin

more games.. Petunia
Old 03-17-2006, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

FOUR CORNERS We play four corners. One student is picked as it. We use the four corners, of the room, or designated “corners”. When the student who is it puts their head down and closes their eyes, I call four corners and count to ten. The remaining students choose a corner and go to it, trying to be as quiet as possible so “it” doesn’t know which corners have students in them. When time is up I say freeze and then tell “it” to pick a corner. Any students in that corner are out and the game continues until only one person is left in a corner. If the last two students are eliminated, then “it” gets to be “it” for the next round.

CAT and MOUSE Children sit in circle with two objects which can be called cat and mouse. The mouse is passed around the circle and when halfway, the cat is sent around to catch the mouse. Cat can also change direction, in which case the mouse should try to stay opposite the cat in the circle.
NANA, NANA, Who’s got the Banana? Children sit in a circle, knees crossed and bent upwards. They pass around a banana underneath their bent knees. One child stands in the center and tries to spot who has the banana while the children sing Nana, Nana, Who’s got the banana?
Newspaper snowball fight.
UNFREEZE Each child walks around while balancing a beanbag on their head. If you lose your beanbag, you have to freeze and rely on a friend to pick it up and replace it for you --while still balancing their own. A leader can also change the speed of the game by calling slow, fast, run or hop.

Kendra

Games
Old 03-18-2006, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Chicken Catchatorie
You have two (or another #) taggers, and two students with rubber chickens. The taggers run around and tag children to freeze them. The students with the rubber chickens can run around and unfreeze the "frozen." After a few minutes you can switch the taggers and the chickens.

Hula Hoop Freeze Tag
Scatter out several hula hoops around the floor. Assign taggers to freeze the other players. Students inside a hula hoop can not get frozen, but can only stay long enough to count to 10. Only one student per hula hoop is allowed.

Paper Plate Shadow
Each student has a paper plate. The teacher says that the students must shadow what the teacher does with her/his paper plate. Model moves like over your head, around your back, b/t your legs, etc.
Another variation would be to make a circle of paper plates on the floor, enough for each student, the students stand behind the plate facing inside the circle. One plate should have a picture or be a different color to designate a spot of who is going to be shadowed. Play music, when the music stops, every one hops to the next plate, clockwise or whichever, and a new student gets to pick moves for everyone else to mimic.
Karen Schmit

Karen Schmit

PE Teacher
Old 05-11-2006, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi! I'm a P.E. teacher and girl scout leader in Tinley Park, IL. Here are a few games for you and your readers!.....
- Karen Schmitz, kss91354@hotmail.com

*Note: Beachie-Beachie Ball, JunkYard, and Zig-Zag Kickball are original games created by me. Eclipse is not original and was not created by me.

FUN GAME FOR GRADES 5 THRU 8:

BEACHIE-BEACHIE BALL!

This is a fun, fast game based on volleyball, which is played with 2 large beach balls moving constantly from side to side simultaneously, so both teams have 2 balls to keep track of! (Good for developing reflexes, and it’s just plain fun!)

Objective: To score points by keeping balls from hitting floor in your team’s court – but get all balls over net so maybe they’ll fall on your opponents floor to give your team the point!
(Note: If you have a problem with some kids grabbing the net like I do, you can also award a point to opposite team every time someone pulls on or yanks net).

Equipment:
Volleyball net, 2 large beach balls (or any large, thin-skinned, lightweight ball will do),
2-3 volunteer scorekeepers. For scoring: 3 clipboards with paper and pencil for your 3 scorekeepers.

(Note: This is a fast moving game, so I usually appoint 3 scorekeepers. At end of game, I meet with scorekeepers to determine winner.)

SIMPLE RULES & SCORING FOR BEACHIE-BEACHIE BALL:
Clip these rules to the clipboards for the scorekeepers:

1. Up to 16 kids can play on each team, kids can rotate every few minutes.

2. Ball can be served from anywhere on either side of the court within bounds.

3. If ball falls on floor, give opposite team the point.

4. If anyone catches or stops ball, give opposite team the point.

5. Do not award any points for balls that fall out of bounds.

ECLIPSE BALL

1. The OBJECT of the game is to get the ball over the net, between the poles, to the opposing team. If you fail to get it over there, they get the point and serve.

2. Up to 6 players per side, each with one racket.

3. You CAN play the ball off the wall, off the net, or even after it bounces on the floor.

4. As long as it’s bouncing, the ball is in play.

5. If your team causes ball to: go under net, around pole, touch ceiling, roll or stop, or you touch it with your hand, it’s out of play, and the opposing team gets the point and serve.

6. Remember, your team gets the point and serve when opposing team fails to return ball to you, OVER THE NET and between the poles.

GREAT GAME FOR GRADES 3-5
ZIG-ZAG KICKBALL

Game Rules and General Info…..
This game is based on regular kickball, with the following differences….
1. There are 5 bases and a home plate, and kids run from base to base in a ‘zig-zag’ pattern. (see diagram below) This allows more kids to play at once, and gives the kids more ‘running’ time.
2. We always play ‘pitcher’s hands out’, so outfielders must get the ball to the pitcher before runner gets to 1st base, to get runner out.
3. All runners must be tagged with ball to be out.
4. There can be any number of kids on a base at any time.

Objective:
Like baseball and kickball, the team that’s ‘up’ tries to score runs (points) and the team that’s in the outfield tries to tag runners out, or get kicker out by getting ball to pitcher before kicker gets to first. 3 outs and teams switch.

Equipment:
6 bases (one is home plate) and a large playground ball.

WILD, FUN AND SAFE GAME FOR K THRU 2ND GRADE:

JUNK YARD! - little kids LOVE this game!

Equipment:
Set up volleyball net. Then put an equal amount of ‘soft’ stuff on floor, on each side of net. This stuff will be thrown over the net by the kids. I put on each side of net: 30 foam balls, 8 pool noodles, 15 bean bags, 10 gertie balls or softie balls. Use whatever you have that’s ‘soft’.

Objective:
Kids throw all kinds of “soft” objects over the net (or ‘fence) to opponent’s side or “yard” in an effort to ‘clean’ their yard and ‘clutter’ opposing team’s yard at same time.
Team with ‘cleanest’ yard at the end of each 4 or 5 minute game gets the point or the win. Sometimes, I tell the kids it’s a tie so EVERYONE WINS!….especially if they are in a fighting mood and want to fight over who’s side is cleaner! (that happens a lot!)
Important: No one is allowed to touch the net, or kick or throw anything UNDER the net.

A fun way to start:
I like to have the kids start by lining up along the wall, or on the rear boundary line, with each team an equal distance from the net. When I blow the whistle, they like to yell “CHARGE” as they run forward to play the game.
Game ends with blow of the whistle and all kids drop everything and run back to the wall so a winner can be determined.

Ms.Idea

Ms.Idea

Ultimate Dodgeball
Old 11-28-2006, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Material:
10 balls
crate with numerous beeny sacks
mattresses

Set-up:
On each opposing sides of the gym, install two mattresses(standing up) for a fort. Install the rest of the matresses in the gym but leave a large circular space in the middle. In the middle of the space, put the crate containing the beeny sacks. Devide the class into two teams.

Goal:
Each team must try to retreive the most beeny sacks from the crate (only one beeny at a time) and bring it back to his fort without being hit by a ball by the opposing team. If you are hit, you must return to your fort (if you have a beeny it is required that you return it to the crate). From there you may return to the game. When the crate is empty, the game ends. The team with the most beeny sacks wins.

(this was a pretty good hit with my class)

Bianca

Bianca

Child Activity Programer
Old 02-17-2007, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

How about four corners? what you do is place a child as the 'it' person. he stands in the middle and ducks down, closing his eyes and counts to ten while the rest of the kids pick a corner in the gym, trying to be as quiet as they can. the 'it' person chooses a corner in the gym, the people in that coner are out. then the rest of the children quietly move to another corner, while 'it' counts. then he picks another corner and those poeple are out. this game continues until there is one person left and that person is now in the middle.

a'kelllll

a'kelllll

capture the flag remix
Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Cooperative/Competitive

Equipment: Two Frisbees
Boxes or other obstacles

Objective: Capture the opposing team’s flag (or Frisbee in this case) and bring it to your
team’s base.

Safety: No throwing Frisbees in a manner intended on hitting another player.

Rules: Split the class into two equal teams on opposing sides of the gym. Obstacles are set up sporadically throughout the gymnasium. Each team is given a Frisbee which they have to protect from the opposing team, while, at the same time, trying to capture the opposing team’s Frisbee. Once a team has the opposite’s Frisbee in their possession, they must return it to their base at the other side of the gym. They can pass and throw the Frisbee to others on their team to speed up this process, but may not throw the disc over the