Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Transition Anxiety

>

Buckeyeteach2

Transition Anxiety
Old 09-12-2019, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a preK teacher and am struggling with one of my students. She really struggles at drop-off and before school is telling her mom she doesnít want to come. Usually after about ten minutes she calms down but as we transition from activity to activity, she becomes upset again. When actively engaged during an activity, she is bubbly, social, and having fun. But as we clean up to love on, the years begin and she is hard to calm down.

Mom is struggling with this, feeling as if someone is being mean, hurting her feelings, etc. which is causing her to not like school. After keeping a much closer eye on her interactions, I donít think this is the case. I spoke to her preschool teacher and this was an issue last year as well but she wasnít verbalizing not wanting to come to school but rather she was just emotional throughout the day.

Iíve tried having her bring in a family picture for comfort as well as letting her hug her nap stuffed animal whenever she feels sad but this doesnít seem to help. Anyone have any suggestions or tips? Thanks in advance!

Buckeyeteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-12-2019, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is there a visual schedule so she can see what comes next and how much longer to go until she gets to go home?
She can be in charge of it and help move the arrow/marker or remove the picture (whatever you use) so she can actually see what's done and what isn't

Last edited by BadKitty; 09-12-2019 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Spelling
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

overthemoon

Old 09-17-2019, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Can you give her an important job to do when she comes in each day or during transitions? It sounds like when she is busy and distracted, she is okay. If there is something she can do for you, even if you have to invent something, it might help. Making a friend can also help. If you can try to pair her with another child for activities, a relationship might form. Or, tell Mom who a good playmate would be and suggest that she get the children together for out of school play dates. Having a friend might make school a little less scary for her.
overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote