Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Selective mute

>

emgirl

Selective mute
Old 09-15-2019, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a selective mute this year. I emailed our literacy team with suggestions for having him read. Several of them emailed me back asking that the parents send a recording to me. Last week I emailed his parents asking them to record him and email me. They said yes but during our 504 meeting, letís just say from how dad acted itís not going to happen. Can anyone give me any other ideas? How do I know what level he reads? In 20 years Iíve never had a mute.

emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-15-2019, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was a selective mute in elementary school. I never talked to my teachers or adults I regularly worked with, but when I was pulled out of class by an adult I didn't know so I could read to them, I did.
Not sure why. You'd think it'd be the opposite, but I guess if I thought I'd never see them again, it wouldn't matter if they heard my voice can't tell you exactly what my younger self was thinking
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 09-15-2019, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your student might actually do the recording for you in class. Give him/her a quiet space away from the group to do it. It will depend on the student, whether the students uses a headset with microphone, a stand alone microphone or the built in microphone on the device. It took most of the year before my student spoke. We started out the year with the student pointing. When he felt comfortable with me, he would whisper responses in my ear and I would say it out loud for the class. He would not give verbal responses during small group. He became good friends with another little boy and by the end of the year, he would whisper read in front of that boy. Don't push him or focus the attention on him.

Dad might put too much pressure on the child to read perfectly and the child might shut down if recording at home.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Old 09-15-2019, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A teammate had a student with selective mutism. I am not sure if she read to her teacher at the beginning of the year, but she did in a very private setting by the end of the year. Right at the end she read aloud in class. Some ideas might be if your student has a relationship with last year's teacher he might read to him/her, or, if he sees a SLP maybe he will read for her/him. Maybe he would read with a sibling or a trusted friend? or to a stuffed animal? You might choose a selection that might be at the independent level just to hear syntax and speed. Maybe reading aloud is not a priority right now, although I realize the expectations that all children do that in order to be benchmarked.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

emgirl

I tried that
Old 09-15-2019, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks! I did try that and he shook his head no. He has a friend in my class but Iíve only seen him smile and point with his friend so far. With me he will only shake his head yes or no. I tried doing thumbs up/down but he shook his head no.

jov

Old 09-15-2019, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My student was exactly as iteachk2010, especially the whispering to me and eventually a friend.
Quote:
Don't push him or focus the attention on him.
I can't stress this enough! It causes extreme anxiety and defeats any small gains the child makes. His Mom told me he was afraid everyone would focus on him if other kids heard him speak. I had a talk with the class when he was out, asking them to act as usual and not make a big deal if they heard him say something, and they understood.

As for reading scores that I needed to submit to the district (DRA, Dibels), I got permission to exclude him from the reporting.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

emgirl

Yeah I donít push it at all
Old 09-15-2019, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I received a paper last week that told me not to praise him if he starts to talk either. Iím being very patient with him. Iím just started reading groups and trying to figure out how Iím going to get his level. His teacher last year didnít do reading groups with him and told me he canít read. Mom and dad said he can. But now Iím wondering whatís true and not since now they wonít record him. They also asked me if I had access to his grades and when I said yes they seemed worried...

jov

Old 09-15-2019, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You're probably never going to get an accurate assessment, but here's a couple of things to get a general idea of how much he is or isn't reading.

> Give him one of those easy "following directions" worksheets - Color the ball yellow. Draw a box on the tree. If he can do that, make it more difficult.

>Give him a list of the pre-primer Dolch words and see if he will point to words you dictate.

I would be worried about the parents being so evasive. He may not be reading at all. How's his math and writing?
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

emgirl

Not good
Old 09-15-2019, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

He seems really low in math and his writing is very poor as well. I wonder if thereís more to it than just being a selective mute.
Thanks for the ideas for following directions thatís a good idea!

bGracie

Old 09-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have nothing to add, but I just wanted to say how much I like the ideas in post 8!

bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 09-24-2019, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had one child with selective mutism in grade three. She would talk to the other children, but no adults. She would partner read. So if I wanted to hear her read, Iíd set up partner groups and walk around the room. If I stood behind her, and she couldnít see me, I could hear her reading.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsRetired

This was an interesting thread
Old 09-29-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I worked with a child who for years would only talk to other students. When or if she eventually would answer or respond to me or another teacher it would be in a whisper. There were many tears over the years.
MrsRetired is offline   Reply With Quote