Help

Career Decisions

Exit plan for resigning

>

Hpylife

Exit plan for resigning
Old 09-21-2019, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After a bunch of back and forth feelings and decisions, I've decided that this will be my last year of teaching ( I'm 75% sure at this point). I had thought I'd stick to it and retire out early...but that is a very long way off for me and I don't want to wait that long. So I'm going to finish out this year and resign. I'm going to spend the rest of this year making it the best I can and giving it my all, as well as using my "off time" checking into alternative jobs. My hope is to save as much $$ this year as possible (thankfully my husband is employed fulltime)...and use that cushion if I don't get another job right away.

My question is--do I tell my admin now, or do I wait until the school year is over? Around January we typically get an informal paper that we fill out asking if we want to stay in our position, move to another or resign. I think formal resignations are not due until around two weeks after our last day of the school year. My biggest fear of telling now is that they will turn on me and be upset with me for resigning and then make the rest of the year miserable.

A friend of mine said I should just resign mid year (winter break), however I think if I break contract that I am fined..but not sure...
Anyone have experience with the resignation process and how that works? I know it's different depending on where you are contracted ,just asking for basic ideas/info on this. Thank you!!!!

Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-21-2019, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Definitely do not break your contract if you plan on seeking another teaching job. As far as fines, you'd have to check with HR. Here, you forfeit your last paycheck, which is quite a bit of money because we get paid monthly. In other places they can go after your license. Even if there are no penalties, that is going to look AWFUL on your resume/applications if you're trying to get a teaching job somewhere else.

I once was in a school that was an absolute dumpster fire and it was just awful in every way. I felt physically sick going to work. But I knew if I resigned mid-year I'd never find another teaching job again, so I stuck it out. No other school was really going to understand what it was like. And if I'm remembering your other posts correctly, didn't you say you liked your admin? I remember you talking about resigning due to an improvement plan, which makes sense, but certainly not mid year. It didn't sound like the situation was a dire one that you had to get out of immediately.

As far as when you should resign, if you're 100% sure by then, I'd go with that January time when they have you do that informal paper. Obviously they like to know plans early, so you can simply spin it as wanting them to find the best replacement possible. And since it's so early, you'll avoid any non-renewal conversations and won't have to report anything on applications should that be in the works.

I don't think they would retaliate. I resigned from that awful position (effective end of year) in February. It was so freeing because they totally left me alone after that. I guess they figured it wasn't worth it and never set foot in my room again for a walkthrough. And I basically shut my door and taught however I wanted- what were they going to do, fire me? I had already quit!

Have you gotten any news about getting off the improvement plan? If you're still on it in January, I'd still resign and ask admin what they need to see from you in the next couple of months in order to get an excellent recommendation letter.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Great advice from Haley123
Old 09-22-2019, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree, if you tell them in January you will have a great rest of the year. And I love her suggestion about what you need to do to get a great letter of recommendation. You may end teaching somewhere else down the line.

Best of luck to you. Once you make your decision official, you will feel like a huge weight is lifted off your shoulders. Keep us posted!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

Old 09-22-2019, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Haley23--yes, you are correct, I also have a plan in place from admin. I do indeed have a good working relationship with them. It's really a great school, I just figured out that I really don't want to be in the public school setting anymore. But I also don't want to burn any bridges in case for whatever reason I decide one day to return.

Thanks for the advice! I definitely don't want to resign on bad terms. I just wasn't sure what people have done that know they won't go back the next contract year...put notice in mid year, or wait till end of year. I like what you said about how when you resigned you pretty much got left alone and just taught.

I have not gotten any news yet about the plan I am on, but observations start soon so I'm sure that will come up so I will feel a little better about things once I have more information I think.

Hpylife

Old 09-22-2019, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the advice Munchkins..I appreciate it!! I also like that idea to ask them about a letter of recommendation. I already feel a huge weight lifted with just moving closer to feeling better about the decision to go instead of not being so sure. Thank you!!

Hpylife

Old 09-30-2019, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had a friend recommended I switch to a special area like art... so Ive thought about that too- Id need to look into certification requirements as well as jobs since those are rare openings in my district