Help

Substitute Teachers

So many more aides lately...

>

Sublime

So many more aides lately...
Old 09-24-2019, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone noticing there are so many more aides (in the last couple years) in classrooms? And that many of them are hired from outside the district? Often there are 1 on 1 aides or aides meant to keep an eye on and help 2 or 3 students. I'm finding this more and more lately.

Is it because there are more students in need of help or that schools are finally identifying more students needing help? Any comments?

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-24-2019, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I only usually see it with kids who need someone to babysit them the whole day. I thought it was because Sped classrooms had been largely eliminated and everyone is in a regular classroom now. This is the case in some hs and ms I sub at.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

TheMercenary

Old 09-24-2019, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

True. Special Ed is a cash cow for the school district. The more "special ed" students there are, the more federal government dollars are received. Vicious cycle.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 09-24-2019, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had three aides in a middle school classroom the other day. Two brought novels with them and read in the back of the room the entire period. I guess they thought I had things under control.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 09-24-2019, 09:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If they support their student, do their job and stay out of my way we will all have a great day.

Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 09-25-2019, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Don't get me started... I would concur, lots more aides--and lots more "specialties." It's not an easy topic but I'll admit I sometimes wonder how much of it is truly necessary. My general comment is that we clearly are currently way overboard in terms of making the school work for the child without much being required of the child and parents. I know parents who lobby for an IEP because they want their child to have individual attention and support. We actually had a parent who was truly "disappointed" when her child didn't test "high enough" to justify special support.

I'm still thinking about that one.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 09-25-2019, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Definitely agree!

When I sub for schools for children with special needs having a lot of aides present is a good thing.

But when I sub for a mainstream regular gen Ed class I find aides are just in the way.

I don't understand the point of having an aide in the room if none of the students need assistance.

Schools are weird these days.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

TheMercenary

Old 09-25-2019, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Here's a thought: Parapros cost the school district a whole lot less than what Special Ed certified teachers cost. So mainstreaming all these "needy" kids and putting paras in the classrooms saves the school big bucks vs. self-contained Special Ed classrooms. And yes, it does seem that every year there are more kids with "issues" (which should be called "problems"). Mainstreaming puts a huge extra burden on the classroom teacher, fills the other students' days with distractions, and shortchanges the Special Ed kids.

mooba1

The Mercenary nailed it
Old 09-25-2019, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

with the first sentence of his/her post. ^^^
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 09-25-2019, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Here's a thought: Parapros cost the school district a whole lot less than what Special Ed certified teachers cost. So mainstreaming all these "needy" kids and putting paras in the classrooms saves the school big bucks vs. self-contained Special Ed classrooms. And yes, it does seem that every year there are more kids with "issues" (which should be called "problems"). Mainstreaming puts a huge extra burden on the classroom teacher, fills the other students' days with distractions, and shortchanges the Special Ed kids.
Yep. Well said, TheMercenary!

luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 09-25-2019, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Whether kids have one on one aides is somewhat dependent on how big a fuss parents make to get their kid extra support.

I have been in classes where there are many more kids who could benefit from the one on one aide than the kid who actually has the aide. Parents have great control.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

TheMercenary

Old 09-25-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thank you, Mooba1. I have been back subbing for six years now, and it gets more evident ("worse"?) every year. . . .

Fractured

Old 09-25-2019, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Iím not sure what schools do. In the same district, there is a room for kids who canít be in a classroom, and they are not mainstreamed in any classes as far as I can tell. In a difft hs, I know they only have two Sped teachers and they follow kids in difft classes, but arenít with the same kid the whole day. But they have told me since Sped funding is federal, they canít be cut or reduced in the budget.

I have to say I donít see aides ever really doing much. In ms and sped classes they are on phones and yelling at the kids. If they follow a kid they try to get them to do work, but itís not usually accomplished and the kid will flick them off, is allowed to walk in the hallway, etc. I just hate their phone usage because it sets a bad example for the students.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

There's another factor...
Old 09-26-2019, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I really don't think most districts/schools are mainstreaming kids to save money on special education costs... first, at some level and in some cases, it's the right thing to do. But (and here's a darn big but) it's also a requirement resulting from the NCLB (no child left behind) act.

I do agree this creates a burden for the regular classroom teacher and other students--that's one reason for the many para pros--in theory to relieve that burden. But as evidenced by the comments here, that's not always working very well. We can oversimplify that problem--para pros are often undertrained and not very motivated, no doubt. (I do, however, know a number of great exceptions. I've also been doing this long enough to see some kids who are quite successfully mainstreamed with good temporary support.) But the overall system just doesn't support actual mainstreaming it just requires it while focusing on why kids have behavior and learning issues instead of real solutions.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 09-26-2019, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Profit over people these days. Sad.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 09-26-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I spoke about this topic with a seasoned school psychologist a while back. He said that assigning paras to individual sped students in mainstream classrooms is much less expensive than providing spec ed teachers and classes. It's a cost saving measure.

My observation is that most paras in mainstream classrooms lack both training and motivation to do their job.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 09-26-2019, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Well, one told me Monday she was made full time permanent and earns $22 per hour "for basically babysitting." (Her words.)
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote