Help

Special Education

Disagree with IEP

>

pinacolada

Disagree with IEP
Old 10-03-2019, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We moved CA from NJ and I was able to retain my son do he could do another year of SDC pre-k. His 30 day IEP is coming up and I have a feeling they may recommend that he be moved to a SDC class (either kindergarten or k-1). In CA self contained classrooms are referred to SDC. If they do, and I disagree with it, can they still move him without my consent?

pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

Purplecrayons

Old 10-03-2019, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just curious , what is your objection to his being placed in an SDC room?
Purplecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Try to keep an open mind...
Old 10-03-2019, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hopefully, they will listen to and consider your thoughts and feelings on the matter. Make sure you have reasons beyond just your feelings--bring notes if needed. (There is research available about boys especially benefiting from an extra year before K.)

And conversely, I would hope that you will listen to and consider their opinions if that IS what they suggest. They should also have reasons as to why the SDC K or K1 would be more appropriate than SDC PK.

To be honest, I do not know if they can push it without your consent. But I will say to proceed with caution.

Around here, if the rest of the IEP team feels it is the best, most appropriate placement for the student and the parent declines, it is the same as refusing services. Parents can't pick and choose services individually. Then it would be like he had no IEP at all. The school might be able to force the change anyway and put him whichever class /level his age dictates. Refusing the IEP means all SpEd services stop, including any other assistance, mods/accommodations and related services--Speech, OT, PT, etc. He would only be eligible for whatever the GenEd students receive.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-03-2019, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Around here, if the rest of the IEP team feels it is the best, most appropriate placement for the student and the parent declines, it is the same as refusing services. Parents can't pick and choose services individually. Then it would be like he had no IEP at all. The school might be able to force the change anyway and put him whichever class /level his age dictates. Refusing the IEP means all SpEd services stop, including any other assistance, mods/accommodations and related services--Speech, OT, PT, etc. He would only be eligible for whatever the GenEd students receive.
It's the same here. You can't cherry pick IEP services. So you could refuse, but that would mean denying the IEP all together. I did have a parent do that once. Luckily it didn't take her long to realize her child really needed the services, but even those few weeks were pretty rough on the child.

In addition to the advice given above, I would keep in mind that self-contained programs are very costly to run. There is never going to be a scenario where the school team is going to try to place someone in a more restrictive environment that they really don't need. If anything, it would be the opposite- excuses are made to keep kids out of those programs to save money. If the school is willing to provide more services I would take them.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

pinacolada

Old 10-03-2019, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have my reasons for him doing another year of SDC pre-k.

pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 10-03-2019, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So, he's already in a self-contained, and you just want him to continue repeating pre-k instead of moving to a k or k-1, do I have that right?

I teach a middle school self-contained class, and have had parents request to repeat a year. We usually do not encourage this because most of my students will qualify for the Community Transition Program for 18-21 year-olds. The thing is, this program is not based on grade, it's strictly based on age. A student can attend through the year that they turn 21, but then they're done regardless of how old they were when they entered the program. So, a typical student will attend for three years (turns 19 in their first year, exits in their 21st year). However, if a student repeats a grade, then they could potentially enter as a 19 year-old and turn 20 that year, then exit the following year - only two years. CTP (a program districts are required to offer) is often crucial for students to get those very practical life-long skills and experiences that lead to successful independent living and employment.

However, in my district if a parent disagrees with placement then the current placement stands until a further meeting is held. This usually leads to some sort of mediation.

Good thoughts to you - I know it's not easy.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Purplecrayons

Old 10-04-2019, 01:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sorry, didn’t mean to pry. In my district , it would be similar to what others have stated . He wouldn’t be moved but you would essentially be rejecting the entire IEP and all services that pertain to it. I would just keep an open mind .
Purplecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-04-2019, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What others have said is also my understanding. You can refuse a placement, but that is also refusing the special education services in most places, unless they decide to offer another placement.

You say you have your reasons, so come prepared to discuss them and see what they have to share. If they do want to put him into K, they will likely have their reasons as well.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 10-16-2019, 03:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If you are willing to go to mediation or due process you can use your "stay put" protections to keep your child in the current placement since the move would be a change in placement.

https://www.understood.org/en/school...-how-they-work

But you have to be willing to go the legal routes to dispute your claim.