High School

The bubble kid. . .

>

Coach Thomas

Coach Thomas

The bubble kid. . .
Old 10-09-2019, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a concerned teacher pose this thought to me and I didn't really have an answer. What do you guys think. . .

Our school has an unwritten rule that students who earn extremely low grades should be bumped to a 60 so that they still have a chance to turn things around and pass the class. (There are countless reasons why this is done, most have to do with discipline and social/emotional concerns)

My teacher asked, but what about the student who has done everything you've asked and still fails the grading period with a 62, what are we doing for that student and what message are we sending when we bump a 30 to a 60.

My question is less about your personal ethics about bumping the student that made a 30, that is not going to change. My real question is, can we ethically and systematically address the student that earned the 62? What motivates them to continue working?

I have my own thoughts, just curious what you guys think.

tctrojan

Cut off for passing
Old 10-10-2019, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is your cut off for passing. I am retired, but would not have wanted to fail anyone who handed in all assignments to their best ability. I would give the student extra credit.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 10-10-2019, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
My teacher asked, but what about the student who has done everything you've asked and still fails the grading period with a 62, what are we doing for that student...
I agree with tctrojan. If the student is really working hard, and you feel they've learned something, but just not tested well (or their average has been pulled down by an anomalous grade or two) then offer extra credit or an alternative assessment.

Quote:
...and what message are we sending when we bump a 30 to a 60.
That if you don't think you're going to get higher than a 60, stop studying because you'll get bumped to a 60 anyway.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 11-09-2019, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know I'm late to the discussion, but...

Giving a student a passing grade in a cumulative subject simply sets the student up for failure in the future. When I saw that a student had a D in Algebra 1, I knew the foundation for Algebra 2 was lacking. The student almost always actually had failed Algebra 1 and went on to fail Algebra 2.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote