Help

Future Teachers

Bad Student Teaching Experience

>

luv_teaching1

Bad Student Teaching Experience
Old 10-10-2019, 03:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently in my second month of student teaching and I am having a terrible time. My cooperating teacher is great and she is very nice. But I am constantly told I am unconfident and not enthusiastic enough with the students. I know this is constructive criticism but I feel like at this moment I'm just not good enough to be a teacher. I am wishing at this point to have chosen a different career path. I may just do that after I graduate in December, because I can't see myself being a classroom teacher anymore. Any advice?

luv_teaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPhysics

You can do it!
Old 10-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just FYI - this particular board is not frequented by many people. Feel free to post on the Busy board to get more responses.

Very few teachers are already good when they are student teaching. Of course you are going to have low confidence! You havenít had much practice! It will come, if you stick with it and just keep trying to get better each day.

My advice...you may need to try faking it until you make it. You can trick yourself into enjoying your teaching more by acting high-energy, confident, and enthusiastic, even when you are none of those things. I actually feel that way when I teach now, but I didnít at first. Actually, I still have to use this when I go for interviews. I tell myself ďIím so excited!Ē a few times, out loud, and smack a big smile on my face. Believe it or not, it really works.

You really do have to be patient with yourself when you are student teaching. You will get there with practice.
MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Hang in there!
Old 10-18-2019, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am retired after 30+ years. My friends and I often say we had no clue what we were doing that first year. We made mistakes but learned from them. You will too!

My advice: give yourself time and be kind to yourself
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-18-2019, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would continue working on what you are told to work on and yes, "fake it till you make it" is good advice. I would consider that you can find a school that is a good fit for you.

I am a very "even keel" person. Depending on the school culture, that is either a great positive or a big negative. On the negative side, yes this could be described as "unenthusiastic." In 2 of the 3 schools I've worked in, I've been consistently praised for being calm and structured and been rated "exemplary" for my classroom environment. My previous P at my current school even told me that my calm demeanor helped her personally on a daily basis.

In the other school I worked in, my P HATED my demeanor and used very negative words to describe me. That school was a dumpster fire for a lot of reasons that I won't go into, but I was happy to get out of it. It's just very interesting that the thing that has been perceived as a great strength in some schools was seen as a huge weakness in this one.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote