How many times a day do you refresh Aesop/sign in? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

How many times a day do you refresh Aesop/sign in?

>

Fractured

How many times a day do you refresh Aesop/sign in?
Old 10-16-2019, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The largest district I sub for wonít pay for Jobulator/union issue, so I have to refresh it Iíd say about 50 to 75 times a day, maybe more. I get logged out after minutes and sometimes it will let me stay on for about an hour. I have jobulator for other districts but they pay less and are further away. I am just really tired of this to get a job though. Anyone else have to do this?

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Suivre

Aesop
Old 10-16-2019, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not often. Usually I get up at 4 to see what's been happening overnight because sometimes jobs come up at the last minute. I get a lot of jobs between 4 and 6 in the morning. Jobulator only costs $6 and I would say it's easier to eat the cost monthly, (the annual $40 just feels so high!) plus the app is convenient, and it works for frontline accounts merged with more than one district. If you are refreshing frontline every few minutes, then they must not be entering enough jobs or ordering a sub for every opening. At a temp agency I sub at, some of the schools listed don't order subs, but they just use paras to cover classes.... because they've had one bad sub and we're all the same. (Sarcasm) Can you make friends with a secretary and have her call you when she's "got something "?
Suivre is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 10-16-2019, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do get jobs on jobulator, but a lot of times they are gone when I click on them. This large district just refuses to let us use it because the union wanted them to pay for the cost and not pass it onto subs. So my union just really make it harder to get jobs.

Iím the opposite of you, I like to get a job the night before and hate getting up early.

Nietzsche

Old 10-16-2019, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The districts around me often don't have sub jobs filled so they won't do anything that discourages subs from taking jobs. One district would not allow secretaries to put subs directly in jobs because the superintendent had subs complain they couldn't get jobs/favoritism, etc. At some schools the secretaries are aggressive in recruiting me to take jobs. They will ask if I'm available the next day or will text me to see if I'm available. I've gotten very picky and have only taken secondary social studies and English jobs this year. I'm booked for October and into February. I posted before about SubAlert. I've only missed out on one job this school year that I tried to accept
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 10-16-2019, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Are you in a really large district? I canít afford to be that picky.

Nietzsche

Old 10-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractured
Are you in a really large district? I canít afford to be that picky.
I sub in a number of small rural districts. Last year I subbed in 9 districts. This year I have subbed in 5 districts so far. The 9 districts I subbed in last year have a total of 11 high schools. I dropped one of the larger districts and may pick up a few more.

Fractured

Old 10-17-2019, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Damn, do you have to drive far? Speaking of refreshing all day, I finally got a job for HS math at 830pm and the guy dropped me 14 minutes later, and I ended up taking the day off because at 1am I still didnít have anything good come up. I hate this damn job so much.

FoxFish

Old 10-17-2019, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use SubAlert a couple of times a day. Thereís so many jobs that sit and linger currently. The shortage appears to get more real every year.
FoxFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 10-17-2019, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

There are jobs that linger out here, but they are usually at middle schools with out of control kids. I try to avoid those at all costs. There are also a lot of retired teachers that take all the best jobs at high schools and frankly I think it sucks.

CC96

Next year...
Old 10-17-2019, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

SS kicks in and I will be down to 2-3 days a week of choice jobs only, not to mention longer vacations.👏🏻

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 10-17-2019, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractured
Damn, do you have to drive far? Speaking of refreshing all day, I finally got a job for HS math at 830pm and the guy dropped me 14 minutes later, and I ended up taking the day off because at 1am I still didnít have anything good come up. I hate this damn job so much.
My closest school is about 8 minutes and the furthest is about 39 minutes.

BadKitty

Old 10-17-2019, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I work in a large district, and I rarely use Aesop. I used to teach full-time at a couple of the schools before subbing, so now when they need a sub, they will ask me directly and then put me in to Aesop for whatever teacher that has an absence.
A few teachers learned quickly that putting in their absence on Aesop and then telling me to check it was NOT the way to do it because jobs go so fast, I never even see it even if I log in and keep refreshing before they put in their absence
I have jobs almost everyday
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 10-17-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Also, no offense to retired teachers but the sub gig is hard enough as it is. There are two high schools I like that literally never have jobs because itís all ex teachers that worked there. Iíll get dropped if one comes up for them and there are too many regular subs trying to land full time jobs like me. Itís just a damn mess.

NJSubteacher

Old 10-17-2019, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Wow, where I sub there is such a demand for subs that there can literally be about 20-25 jobs available the night before, whenever I log in. Maybe you should consider signing up for more school districts? The only times it gets a little slow is September and late June.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 10-17-2019, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am in several districts, but maybe I need to sign up for more. It usually hasnít been this tough to get jobs. A lot of half day and elementary jobs pop up, but I donít do those. And some districts Iím in would be about 45 minutes away with traffic and it isnít worth the money after the gas and travel time.

NJSubteacher

Old 10-17-2019, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Oh ok. I assume you are located in a rural area?
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 10-17-2019, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

No, Iím in a pretty big city, but I guess thereís a lot of competition. The largest district hires more subs than it needs.

BadKitty

@Fractured
Old 10-18-2019, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
Also, no offense to retired teachers but the sub gig is hard enough as it is. There are two high schools I like that literally never have jobs because itís all ex teachers that worked there. Iíll get dropped if one comes up for them and there are too many regular subs trying to land full time jobs like me. Itís just a damn mess.
We need our retired teachers to sub or there wouldn't be enough subs
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

TheMercenary

re: making friends with a secretary
Old 10-21-2019, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

. . .it depends. Some will learn to rely on you. Some will only call you at the very last minute, when you've arrived at another job.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
SergeBlerge
Old 10-26-2019, 06:02 PM
This message has been deleted by SergeBlerge.