Help

ARCHIVE

Immigration

>

Inspire

Immigration
Old 11-06-2007, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any creative lessons, unit, ideas for Immigration?

Thanks!

Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote

johnsju

immigration idea
Old 11-06-2007, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Funny...I'm just finishing a unit on immigration. Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but it's an idea (it took place over several days). I did a read-aloud with Molly's Pilgrim by Barbara Cohen. It's a great book, and we were able to have a really good conversation about what it would be like to immigrate to another country as a child. Next, I gave my students some background on the Irish potato famine and its impact on immigration to America. I had the students write a journal pretending to be an Irish child during potato famine times; they had just found out their family was moving to America. How did they feel? What did they think the voyage would be like? What were they nervous about? What were they excited about? I got some great work out of this. I know it's not an earth-shattering lesson, but my kids enjoyed it. Hope that helps!
johnsju is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolina Girl

Immigration
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have had students interview someone from another country asking questions such as: What is your home country? In what year did you come to the United States? What caused you to come here? What is the native language of your home country? What is your most favorite food from your country? What food(s) have you tried and come to enjoy in the States? How is the way you dress different than in America? What is one memory of your homeland that you treasure? Do you have anything you would like to say to students in my class about your experience since you came?

Along with the interview, students purchase a wooden long-handled spoon or get a free paint stick that they then dress up as someone from the country of the person who they interviewed.

These reports and dolls (much like Molly's Pilgrim) are then shared with the class.
Carolina Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

elaina0214

Immigration
Old 11-26-2007, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I saw on a google search that Julie had some good activities and she was responding to Kay.If either one of you have the activities can you share it with me.

Thanks,
Elaina
elaina0214 is offline   Reply With Quote