National Board Certification

Newbie Tips?

>

arcsinx

Newbie Tips?
Old 11-02-2019, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,

First post! *cheers* I come here because this corner of the internet has been highly suggested as a tool for aspiring NBCT.

I am just starting off the process and am doing AYA Mathematics, along with a coworker.

What tips would you all have for getting started and about the process? After studying the different Components, my coworker and I think that Component 4 is worth tackling first to get it out of the way. Is this a good strategy? If so, what specific tips about component 4 are worthwhile?

Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone

arcsinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-03-2019, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome and congrats on starting the journey! Many believe C4 is the hardest one and it does have more "moving parts" so to speak. It is also the one I suggest beginning to plan during summer. It requires collaboration and colleagues may not be on your timeline so to speak (they may not feel the same urgency you do). Giving them time to pitch in will benefit you.

I'd start with C2 and/or C3 because you don't rely on others to complete them. Those are both the "classroom" components and go well together.

Whatever you decide to tackle first, print the component directions AND the General Portfolio directions, AND your NBs standards. Read them. Read them again. Rinse and repeat.

Best luck and feel free to post questions here. Many will respond and help.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 11-03-2019, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Listen to Zia.

Where I live, most people who attempt certification use a support group for proofreading each others' work, and it's led by other NBCT teachers. They pay a pretty penny for it, but if they certify, it just gets deducted from their first yearly bonus.

I didn't use this support group, but I do know they always recommend doing C2 first for the reasons Zia pointed out.

I did C2 one year, and then submitted C3 and C4 the next. I think it was a good decision for me because it wasn't worth as much as C3, but gave me a baseline for whether or not I fully understood the directions and did the right kind of writing for my written commentary.

I'm not certified yet, but I thought I'd share my experience. We all have different strengths.
WhyHello is online now   Reply With Quote

arcsinx

Old 11-03-2019, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Interesting insight. Is it too late to try and do Components 2-4 before May? We wanted to try and take it all down in one school year.
arcsinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-03-2019, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Another reason C2 is good one to get your feet wet: it is only worth 15% versus C3 that is 30%.

WhyHello, thanks for the reminder of the weight.

WhyHello

Old 11-03-2019, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did C1 first because I had no idea what I was doing. I've just always been good at tests, so I did that one first, lol.
WhyHello is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-03-2019, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think doing C1 in your first year (with C2 and maybe C3) is a good strategy. Statistically, the more times one takes a standardized test, the higher the score. So, my advice: take it the first year with another component, get your scores, and take it again the second year (with the remaining components) if needed to boost your chances of certifying on your first attempt.

And yes, I realize that's another $475 and not feasible for all. I took C1 3x. The first time was a field test, then I took it 2x for reals. Turns out, I would have certified without it, but my scores the second time were significantly higher.

And C1 is 40% of your overall score with the SR weighted more heavily than the CR.

Just a thought.

Zia

Old 11-03-2019, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Is it too late to try and do Components 2-4 before May?
It isn't impossible, but you will be working your tail off. Personally, I wouldn't attempt it, but I am very protective of my self care game. If this is your goal, get on it...like yesterday.

I didn't have the option to tackle all 4 in one school year. I'm the guinea pig generation of the new version and I did each component as they published it. But...looking back...I think even if I had that option, I wouldn't have. Just my own take as a working mom and wife.

PokerKat

I did all 4 at once - it can be done
Old 11-03-2019, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Whether or not you try all 4, you need to be aware of the workload.

I have kids who are 23 and 28 so they are on their own and a hubby who was behind me 100% so I jumped in with both feet and worked my tush off

I worked 7 days a week for the last 4 months of the school year. - Saturdays were NB days - in my classroom where I had plenty of quiet time and Sundays were my prep for the week day. I would not suggest this unless you are really motivated to get it done in one year. I was.

Finding a cohort was a lifesaver for me - if you can find one join it you will get a lot of support. The books by Bobby.... I cant remember her last name but her advice was great!
PokerKat is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-03-2019, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What Works! Successful Strategies for Pursuing National Board Certification Version 3.0 Components 1&2 or Components 3&4 by Bobbie Faulkner on Amazon.

If you're working on C4, send her a copy of you holding the book and she'll send you a free Addendum written after the book was published. Send the photo to nbwhatworks@gmail.com.

I actually contributed to the Addendum!

Bobbie is the NBs GODDESS!

middlestsis

One year
Old 11-07-2019, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would definitely not suggest doing all of the components in one year. It is definitely not impossible, but I think that if I had given myself more time to focus on either C2 or C3 I would have certified without having to retake. I would suggest doing C2 or C3 different years because to me they were the hardest. However, you may have different strengths than me, so really think about what you do well and pair it with something you think you'll need more time and support with. Whatever you decide, we are here to help!
middlestsis is offline   Reply With Quote