Help

Private Schools

advice about switching grades

>

girl9987

advice about switching grades
Old 11-02-2019, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have taught first grade in a Christian school for 7 years. This year I am teaching a first/second grade combination. This week a third grade parent approached me and asked me to consider teaching 4th grade next year. There will be a vacancy since the 4th grade teacher is leaving next year. I think I would like teaching an older grade. I taught 4th grade one year in a public school. But the upcoming 4th grade class is very challenging. There is a student in there who brings out the worst of all the kids if you know what I mean. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions, tips?

girl9987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 11-04-2019, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

After years in a private school I learned to use the phrase, “Grade placements are not decided till the summer when student enrollment is closer to finalized. I will be teaching the grade level(s) that is best for students and staff.”
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 11-07-2019, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am in my 8th year at my current school. I spent 6 years in third grade and then switched to 6th by choice. There were several reasons I asked to make the change: (1) I felt like I was getting into a rut with third grade. (2) I saw a real need that needed to be met with our 6th grade and had prior experience with that age group (in other schools, earlier in my career). (3) Probably the most important, being in a Christian school, is that I prayed about it and this was truly a move I felt led to make. (4) My headmaster was very supportive when I made the request to switch. This was not an easy move, at all. In fact, the group that I knew was coming into 6th grade last year had been one of my more challenging third grade groups. Also, I think some people thought I was crazy to request to move to 6th grade and that I actually wanted that age group.

Consider all of the factors. I would not let a parent request be the deciding factor. Every year that I was in third grade, I would have at least one parent ask me to move up to fourth grade for the following year. In private schools, sometimes parents feel that they run the show. Thankfully, our school has grown to a size where that is no longer the case, but I've been here through the years where that was our reality. This needs to be something that is decided prayerfully between you and your administration.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

girl9987

thanks
Old 11-07-2019, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Very good advice. Thank you!
girl9987 is offline   Reply With Quote