Kindergarten

Ideas for Whole Group during Intervention Time

>

kinderlady7

Ideas for Whole Group during Intervention Time
Old 11-03-2019, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I am looking for some ideas for things for my students to work on during intervention time. While I have a group pulled, the majority of my students need to have something to do independently. This past week, I decided to try using the computers/ipads during this time, but then the students I pulled felt like they were being punished since they weren't allowed to use them.

I've tried giving my students worksheets or small seat activities and they rush through them if I'm not watching them and then goof off (which I don't blame them! That's what I did in school too!).

I want to figure out something they can work on independently that will actually help them to improve. Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

kinderlady7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Veggirl

Stick with it.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use iPads during my 45 minute intervention time and love it. My students no longer feel punished...it's just what happens and because they're only pulled for 15-20 minutes they still get time on the iPads. I'm loving not have to plan what everybody's doing because ABC Mouse and Teach your Monster are doing it for me I'd say stick with the technology and they'll learn the routine.
Veggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

groups
Old 11-03-2019, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There's always reading - one of the best ways kids can spend their time!

But I also agree that it's fine to use the tech as long as the kids all get a turn. - You could always pull the high kids once in a while, and do enrichment, so it just seems like a normal rotation.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 11-03-2019, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not sure how long your intervention time is... let's say 45 mins. Take the intervention group for 30m and then another group (rotated daily) for 15m. That way the IG kids aren't feeling left out with the i-pads and you don't have to plan for the larger group.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlady7

Teach your Monster
Old 11-03-2019, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi! I just looked up teach your monster to read and my kids would LOVE IT. How do you handle signing in? DO students have their own accounts? I noticed that it saves progress, so I may want all my kiddos to have their own accounts but logging in would be tricky.

kinderlady7 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Ipads for K
Old 11-03-2019, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm a bit old school and tend to limit tech in my classroom. I realise I'm antiquated In my defence, I did incorporate computers and Ipads a lot more when I taught older kids, I'm just not a fan of too much tech for kinders.

When I work with a small group, my other kids are rotating around activities
e.g. 1) Fine motor- Play Doh, threading or a craft 2) a literacy game and 3)Independent writing. Earlier in the year they did independent sight word practice instead of writing e.g. roll and write or pin pricking.

Otherwise I just pull kids during indoor play time.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 11-04-2019, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I'm a bit old school and tend to limit tech in my classroom
Good for you! It's not good for them. I have been trying to limit the tech in my room more and more. But it's hard.

We have a whole new thing with our intervention time now, but in the past I had kids working in centers just like during my guided reading groups.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-04-2019, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I'm a bit old school and tend to limit tech in my classroom. I realise I'm antiquated
This isn't old school or antiquated. It's developmentally appropriate! I'd be thrilled if I was able to cut screen time completely out of my classroom, but I can't.

If possible I'd pull intervention kids in two groups so they are still getting the chance to do the other activities. Then I would have things out that work on fine motor skills, games that they know how to play, free art, stem bins, stuff like that. If ipads are helpful or required I'd have them doing that just once a week. I'd either do rotations - one per day - or make it more of a free choice time but with intentional, more limited choices than just free play.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Veggirl

Teach you monster
Old 11-06-2019, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My kiddos all have their own iPad and if they don't log out it comes up with their page each time. One little guy logged out every day but says he didn't do anything. I finally showed him the log out button and he says "oh yeah, I close it down with that button" I'm not sure how it would work if you have to share iPads.
Veggirl is offline   Reply With Quote