Applying for jobs in the middle of the year? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

Applying for jobs in the middle of the year?

>

hikinghiker

Applying for jobs in the middle of the year?
Old 11-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel like I'm playing a dangerous game right now.

If you look at my post history, you can probably tell that I'm dissatisfied with my current school. Kids are good, grade-level team is meh, but I feel nit-picked by admin. I spend 80% of my time worrying more about admin and other tasks like committees, versus my students and actually teaching.

I filled out an applitrack and soft search applications for the two neighboring districts (the only districts within several hours). For the largest and closest district, I did not list my admin as a reference and put that they should not be connected. I uploaded my last evaluation instead, which is allowed. For the smaller district, I made a spur of the moment decision to put my AP since I needed three supervisory references and I didn't have any others that I could put.

Now I'm pretty terrified since I know she's already gotten the reference form since it auto-sends, and she will immediately let the rest of admin know.

Mostly I'm concerned about what to do going forward. On one hand, I really want to leave early because I'd feel guilty. I also can't afford to be fired early though as I don't have an emergency fund. Also, I have a criminal record from my freshman year of college which means it will be much more difficult to get a job

On the other hand, I don't think I'm willing to break contract even though I'm unhappy and it's a charter school, not a public school. So it feels disingenuous of me to email principals and request interviews since they're advertising for the 2019-2020 school year and need someone immediately, and I'm not looking to leave my job early.

Can anyone provide me any advice? This is my second year teaching and I've never bene in this situation before.

Also, if it matters, I'm looking for jobs in CCSD or Nye County (Southern Nevada).

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 11-12-2019, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've always felt that if you don't have the protection of a contract, you also don't have the responsibility. If your charter is "at will," that goes for both sides.

Everyone hiring knows that offers don't necessarily mean acceptances, and you may find that the experience of simply interviewing and getting an offer bolsters your confidence enough to find your admin tolerable. So I don't know think it's wrong or disingenuous to go on an interview.

Telling your AP might have been a mistake, but there's nothing to be done now, so I'd just carry on.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Gromit
Old 11-12-2019, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I technically do have a contract, but it's a charter contract and basically just says that I'm at will and can be fired for "any reason or no reason". They've fired people before and several people have resigned as well. In fact, we just got an email this morning saying that a teacher had just resigned that day effective immediately.

I received 4 phone calls this morning and afternoon for interviews and it totally boosted my confidence. I felt really hopeful. My main concern is that, let's say I go to these interviews and do well, what do I say if they offer me a job?

hikinghiker

Update #2
Old 11-12-2019, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My coworker just texted me saying the principal came up to her and said she had received several emails from other schools asking for a reference. Which is awful, because I didn't list her as a reference and even selected "no, don't contact this person" when I listed her as work history.

But this really just compounds the kinda bull#### "inner circle" thing here, where the Principal thought it was appropriate to ask the grade level chair about me, instead of asking me. This is how drama starts.

Violets2

interviewing
Old 11-16-2019, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you get offered a job, then decide about your next step. As they say, don't put the cart before the horse. Why does it feel disingenuous to email and apply if you're unhappy? If you pass other district's background check, and it will be a better move for you, then leave. If the job is for the current year, why can't you leave? Many others do.

I agree that it's poor on your admins part to go to your team mate and not come to you. If you didn't say anything to your coworker about looking elsewhere, then she can honestly say to P, she doesn't know anything. Don't confide in anyone then. By chance, did you at least give your AP a heads up?

Good luck

Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

If jobs in Clark County
Old 11-21-2019, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

are as plentiful even now as they usually are, you may well get an offer. I would ask them to give me the time needed to give appropriate notice to my current school. That looks good both to your current and future schools. Don't burn bridges as you cross them. You never know when you need a letter of reference.

Since admin has sure knowledge that you are looking this year, it's reasonable to expect you won't be offered a position for next year.

You are responsible for your own job fulfillment. You need to take care of yourself, while being honorable in meeting your commitments.

Not sure any of this is helpful for you. Generally, big decisions will lead to some regret whichever way you decide. The thing is to figure out which will create the least regret.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote