first year teacher quitting - ProTeacher Community

Shorti

first year teacher quitting
Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last week I dropped the bomb and told the principal that I am quitting teaching. I dont know what to do with my life now. I have worked so hard for a degree and now I dont want to teach. I feel like such a quitter. I always tell my students to stick through the tough times and I cant even practice what I preach. Is something wrong with me? My last day is November 20. Did I make the biggest mistake of my life?

Shorti is offline   Reply With Quote

johnsju

tough situation
Old 11-06-2007, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm a fellow first-year teacher, so I can definitely understand your perspective! Do you mind if I ask what drove you to this point? Do you have a mentor or an experienced teacher at school to talk to? How did your principal react when you broke the news? I honestly can't tell you if this was a mistake. You know yourself better than anyone...if you feel good about it, you probably made the right decision. If you're still having lots of doubts, you should rethink your reasons for leaving. Best of luck figuring out what's next...let us know if there's anything we can do!
johnsju is offline   Reply With Quote

Shorti

Old 11-07-2007, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I left for several reasons. A lot of it had to do with the kids and the school. I had no offical mentor or any support from the teachers. One teacher I worked with was a great help but she was really busy herself. Even with her help I felt like I was floundering. I feel like a heavy burden has been lifted. Its a big sigh of relief.
Shorti is offline   Reply With Quote

notidentical

To Shorti
Old 11-09-2007, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Were you having these feelings before the start of school? Where is your school located? I am a first year teacher and I definitely understand some of your feelings. I am lucky to have some great teachers around me that I can talk to but my mentor is not very helpful. He is very nice but he is in the process of getting his doctorate and is very busy. I live day by day and many times I have a general idea of what I want to do but I don't know exactly what I am doing until that day. The main thing I try to remember is that I am not going to be the perfect "wow" teacher this year. If I can stay afloat then I have succeeded.
I really hope this is what you want. If you are not sure, then maybe you should give it another chance. How did your principal take the news? Did he/she come back with any solutions? Good luck. By instinct you will know the right decision. I just hope you gave it enough of a chance. Good luck!!!!
notidentical is offline   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Quitting now / start again later in life
Old 11-09-2007, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Twenty years ago, I too quit teaching, while I was still in the credential program. I was young, newly married, pregnant, sick to my stomach, and had no idea how to teach 8th graders. I had no self-confidence, the kids drove me nuts, and though I felt like a quitter at the time, it was a good decision for me. I just wasn't ready to be a teacher! Now, three kids later... I'm finally finishing up my credential, teaching 6th and 7th grades, which is VERY challenging!!! Some days I'm really frustrated, but this time around I know the time is right. This is what I'm supposed to be doing now at age 43. But at 23? No, it wasn't working for me. You might reconsidered and stick out the year, see if it gets better. If not, quit, find something else, and maybe you'll be ready to come back and teach again someday, like I am. Good luck!

Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr.L

Surprised
Old 11-09-2007, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been really suprised at all of the posts that that talk about the teachers quitting. I am now in year 7 and wow! I would have never dared quit my first few years because in my area, that is professional suicide, you would never teach again. Now, I now that many people have very good reasons for leaving, and it makes me sad that people are leaving the profession I love. It also makes me wonder what the colleges could do better to give the real reality of teaching instead of the ideal all of the time. All teachers, no matter how long they have been teaching, need good mentors and support from not only the administrator, but also the teaching staff. Shorti, I wish you the best in all that you do and please, do let me know what you think would have helped you better transition from college to the teaching world.
Mr.L is offline   Reply With Quote

SuperSub1919

I've been substitute teaching for a year....
Old 11-12-2007, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

and now I am going back to school to get my degree in Library Science. But I am still going to keep my certification in Elementary Education. I'm also getting certified to teach k-12 library science.

Anyway...I have subbed for a year and I've come to realize that I really dont' want to teach for the rest of my life! I'm already super-stressed going in to teach for one day....I can only imagine what will happen to me when I get a full time job. I also can't see myself getting a full time teaching job in the area where I live in the next 2 years at least.

I'm glad that I've come to realize this now!! It seems like you made the right decision! "A big sigh of relief" This is just how I feel now...knowing that I can go back to school and do something I like! I know its a good decision!!
SuperSub1919 is offline   Reply With Quote

linny22

Old 11-12-2007, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You should never have to do something that you are not happy with. It is not fair to you or your students. I hope something better comes along for you.
linny22 is offline   Reply With Quote

lilythespitfi

Good for you...
Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm in a bad teaching position right now with difficult children and a person who is difficult to work with. I can't afford to quit, and am making the best of it. But it's really hard and I'm very stressed out and feel like I haven't a clue as to what I'm supposed to be doing.

I'm starting to feel like I might not be cut out to be a teacher but am hoping that maybe it's the situation (horrible kids + horrible coteacher = horrible 1st year). So I'm looking towards June and working in my own classroom.

I have to say that I admire your backbone. If something isn't right for you and you're absolutely miserable without any support or guidance, then this is the right decision for you. I was deeply depressed the first two months and stuck it out only to realize I'm still unhappy. So really, you have to think that this is the best decision for your well-being.

You can substitute for a little while and see if you might want to wade back into the teaching pool again. Do it in the better schools so you can get a feel for a place that will nurture you. You might surprise yourself.

Good luck Shorti! I wish you all the best.
lilythespitfi is offline   Reply With Quote

MrChapp

Old 11-13-2007, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't know how quitting would affect your chances of getting another teaching job. It might be tougher because you quit during the school year. I considered leaving my job mid-year last year but decided for the sake of my students and my career to stick out the year. But I was not a first-year teacher at the time-- I'd been at my school for six years and felt a sense of loyalty to the families and colleagues I had gotten to know. I haven't found a job yet, but I don't know if it has to do with me quitting. I was at a charter school, and have heard from several people that STAYING at a charter can hurt my chances of getting a job elsewhere.

If it was a bad situation, try not to let it dissuade you from the entire profession. I felt really frustrated and overwhelmed my first year-- also because of poorly-behaved students and a less-than-supportive principal. I had no choice but to stick with it at the time, and I can honestly say I love teaching.

You can try subbing, as some PP have mentioned. Personally, I don't feel like subbing is anywhere near the same thing as being a "regular" classroom teacher, so I'm not sure it would help you decide if teaching is what you want to do. I'm subbing now and, while I have even MORE respect for all the great subs out there, I really don't feel like I'm teaching. What it has done for me is expose me to a lot of school environments. It's reassured me that not all schools will be like the one I left.
MrChapp is offline   Reply With Quote

newbieteach

I feel you pain
Old 11-13-2007, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I totally know where you are coming from. Last year I taught 6th grade in a middle school. I had horrible kids and non-supportive administration. I had a mentor but she was very busy. I pretty much relied on one of my co-workers to help me. I didn't always know what I was doing and I can say now that I was not a very good teacher....but I got through it. This year is better since I am in the elementary school now. I do have to say that I believe that people that are in their first 2-3 years should have a mentor. I am in my second year and have no one to help me. I have 2 other people that teach my grade but they are veterans and aren't interested in helping me. I am pretty much just trying to do my best with what I have. Some days, like yesterday, I felt like I was the worst teacher in the world. But then some days I go home with a smile on my face.
It is up to you whether you made a mistake. I hope that you find something to do with your life that you are happy with. Good luck!
newbieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

momfirst

good for you
Old 11-14-2007, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Teaching is NOT what it used to be- the demands are REDICULOUS. So, I say good for you for making a decision and taking control of your life. You can continue school for a couple more years- add another area- ANYTHING! Good luck to you in all that you do- The important thing is to be happy-life is too short not to be!
It WILL be OK.
Good luck
momfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 11-17-2007, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Don't feel like a quitter. Life is too short to be doing something you DO NOT want to be doing. You would be doing yourself and your students a disservice if you were to stay.

The year after I student taught I was hired as a classroom teacher. I had a team teacher in my classroom who was the absolute worst teacher in the world (in my opinion anyways). She did not teach, she was mean to the students, and she was mean to me. We had several meetings with the principal regarding her behavior towards me. Nothing changed. After much thought I decided to resign from my position. I knew if I stayed I'd have a job for the next few years (it's tough to get a job in my area), and I would get tenured, but it wasn't enough for me to want to stay. I resigned, moved to England (where my husband was from-before we got married), and took some time to figure out what I wanted to do.

Well, I was pretty sure I wanted to get back into teaching. We moved back to where I'm from (and where I taught for that horrible year), and I got a job in the same district but different school. I am so much happier now! No, I'm not tenured. Yes, I pretty much had to start over again, but I am happy! If I had stayed another year at that school with that miserable teacher, I don't know what would've happened to me! I may have really come to despise teaching.

Anyway, sorry I became long-winded! Just do what's best for you. Listen to and follow your heart/gut instinct. It will tell you a lot. I'm sure you will be able to teach again if that's what you decide you want to do.

Good luck!
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

mentorteach

Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

You should do what is best for you and your students. I have been teaching for 13 years and love every minute of my job, but every now and then run into a colleague (usually brand new) who for whatever reason, chose the wrong field. In my experience, those who leave mid-year:
1. are weak at classroom management
2. did not expect the amount of out-of-school work and parent scrutiny
3. chose the wrong grade or accepted positions in tough schools with poor administrations

Leaving mid-year, you will most likely find it difficult to be employed as a teacher again, although it's not impossible to be hired elsewhere. You should immediately get back into school or get into another field, a temp. agency, etc. The more time away from a job, the more difficult the questions at the next interview. Good luck.
mentorteach is offline   Reply With Quote
TrixieB

TrixieB

Teacher
Old 02-25-2008, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Shorti,

I am envious of you! I am dealing with exactly the same feeling, but I can't afford to quit. I just had a baby and don't know if it's new mom syndrome or what, but my heart just isn't in teaching anymore. Every day is a struggle. I don't want to make a decision I'll regret, as jobs are scarce, but I can't put in the crazy hours I need to in order to be a good teacher. I plan to stick out the year and see if my perspective changes, but I am trying to come up with a plan that let's me be home more. Am I nuts? Am I a quitter? Will I ever figure out what I want to be when I grow up?

hmccourtie

Old 02-25-2008, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am in my first year of teaching at a new, different school. And, back in November or so, I really did question if I wanted to be teaching anymore. I went home crying a lot because my kids were just horrible and I didn't have much support.

But, I whipped them into shape (figuratively). There were even a few times where I broke down crying in front of them, and this group of kids needed to see that to see what their behavior was doing to me. It helped them realize I am human and have my weaknesses, and that it took all of us to make a good classroom. And I have learned how to run things on my own without support.

I just had my evaluation, and it was excellent - I have been welcomed back next year. Part of me wants to go try something new, but another part of me knows how much I have invested in this school and kids and has hope for a better start next year.

I do believe some people aren't cut out to be teachers. I know many people get into it because their parents were teachers, but it isn't something genetic. It takes a lot of work and a committed heart.

It may be worth trying some other school out there, or just taking a break from teaching for some time. Don't regret anything you did. Just grow by it.
hmccourtie is offline   Reply With Quote

artlover08

First year teacher also wants to quit
Old 09-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I just started teaching and its only 4 weeks into the school year and I definitely want out. I do not have a mentor and I have asked for help from the other teachers but they are very busy. I feel very overwhelmed and very miserable. Every morning I have an upset stomach and I get an ugly feeling and I dread going to work. I have been very emotional since school started and I don't know if what I feel is normal. Everyday, I feel that I don't know what I am doing and my classroom mangement is not doing very well. I want out but I don't know what to do if I quit. I feel very lost, confused, scared and most of all very miserable. I have lost weight due to lack of appetite and I have been stressing so much that I have lost interest in the things that I once enjoyed doing. I don't know what to do. If there is anyone that can help me because I am afraid that I will end up making the biggest mistake of my life and that I could regret. I have been praying and trying to convince myself that I could do this but it's not working. I don't know who to turn to or what to do.
artlover08 is offline   Reply With Quote
WoeIsMe

WoeIsMe

You're not alone.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

It's good to know I'm not alone in what I've been going through lately (not that I wish this on anyone else). I quit my job after only three weeks of teaching, and they've had to call in a retired teacher to take over until they find someone to fill my position. I was teaching four preps, including one IB class and two mixed classes (1/2 regular, 1/2 pre-IB). It is a very high-performing school, and I felt overwhelmed by constant "warnings" of how I was teaching the "best of the best," kids who end up with full-ride scholarships to Ivy League schools. To top it all off, the teachers were all way too busy to help me, but did warn me that the parents and students are extremely critical since so much is riding on how well we teach these "brilliant" kids.

In short, I was working 10-12 hr. days, every day, as a "part-time" employee, while raising a difficult middle schooler of my own. I simply cracked. I was having panic attacks and wasn't sleeping. I warned the principal that I wouldn't make it very long, and about a week later I just quit.

I've been so plagued by feelings of guilt for running out on the kids, and inferiority because I couldn't hack it. I worked so hard to get my M.Ed. while raising a child myself and working to support us, and I just threw it all away.

But here are some small bits of counsel I can offer those in the same position: 1. Only you know what your boundaries are. 2. There is more to you than your job, and being well rounded requires at least a little free time. 3. Your health is your top priority. 4. You're not a loser: Many, many people would not make it as a teacher...hence the shortage.

Now if I can just remind myself of those points every time I break down and cry here lately...

FLAFISHERGAL

I feel your pain...
Old 09-25-2008, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

After four years of teaching part time for Title 1 in small group work, I've now gotten a fourth grade class of my own and I just hate it. The pace is unrealistic, there's no administrative support and I work at least ten to fifteen or more hours a week than is called for. I went from loving my job and looking forward to going every day to now dreading going to sleep because it means having to get up and face all the behavior and stress again.

Unfortunately for me, I have no other resume that allows me to find another decent job. I don't know if I should chance more schooling or just get out comepletely. So far, my judgement hasn't been too great and I'm certain that right now, it's probably clouded from the stress.

Thanks for listening.
FLAFISHERGAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thing 1

Did anyone notice
Old 09-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

that this post is almost a year old?
Thing 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

ilovemypuppy

I have gone through something similar
Old 09-25-2008, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I posted on this very same subject earlier tonight on the 2nd career board. Although, I did not write about the particulars, I lasted 10 weeks in my first year of teaching (Fall 2007)! It has been a tough year for me since. I keep a lot inside as I don't always want to appear sad, even 11 months later.

Best wishes.
ilovemypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

You don't say anything about
Old 09-26-2008, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

what stage of your life you are in, how old you are, etc... But I did hear the "its a big sigh of relief." If it is feels good do it. Does it mean you will never go back to teaching? No. I believe that everything happens for a purpose - and hopefully you will discover yours. I went to school right after high school to teach - and didn't. Joined the army, went to school for a business degree, had a family - wonderful, full life and am now teaching again. My second year 35 years after graduating high school. I am very happy with my choices and am glad I am were I am now. I am glad I had the courage way back when to change my mind and go different directions. That is what made me who I am today. There are all kinds of teachers and they don't all work in the schools. Good luck in your future endeavors. Kudos to you for having the courage to listen to your heart.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote
lovekidsbut..

lovekidsbut..

I love children but...
Old 09-29-2008, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

when I read your message I WAS IN TEARS ! I know it might not sound right but I'm glad I'm not alone. This is my first year teaching too and I'm going crazy !? I don't eat I don't sleep and I HATE waking up every morning. I'm so depressed and feel I have no life. My boyfriend has been so supportive and has been there for me every step but I feel I'm such a burden on him sometimes too. I say hang in there just 9 more months. You can do it ! Just crack the whip on your classroom management. Show them whose boss. Think of your sweet summer vacation and take a nice long trip wherever you want. You deserve it. That is what I think about every day. But guess whose not teaching next year !!!!! I'm going into administrative assisting or insurance or something else working with children that is not teaching in a public school. You have a 4 year degree and that is all people want to see. Trust me I've been all over career builder for the past 3 weeks !!! Best of luck. What state do you live in ??
NeedOutNOW

NeedOutNOW

Me too...
Old 11-04-2008, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I have been struggling with this feeling since the beginning of school, and I've finally accepted that I'm just not cut-out for this line of work. I'm a first-year 8th grade teacher. I'm 31 and left a good job to return to school and become a teacher. It was something I always wanted to do, felt I would be good at it and would feel good doing it, and now I've resigned myself to the fact that I can't hack it. I am sick all the time from stress, anxiety, lack of sleep, depression, lack of appetite, etc. I never seem to find a teacher who is truly happy in their position, or one that can honestly assure me that things will get better. What they say is that I'll get used to it...and that's just not enough to make me want to stay. I'm six months into a relationship I want to see turn into a marriage, and all of this job stress is beginning to put that in jeopardy. I don't want to sacrifice the best relationship of my life for the sake of a job I will get used to hating.

I've lately been applying for positions with various companies. I hope to get back on with the place I left (at a lower salary, I'm sure), but that may not be a possibility. I feel like such a fool for leaving a decent job, even though I know I needed to try something new while I'm still young enough to make mistakes. My only wish now is that I can find a job to replace it before school starts back after the holidays. If only the economy wasn't so crappy...
krystle

krystle

Thinking of quitting credential program
Old 11-09-2008, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Hi,
I just started the credential program. While I have good master teachers, I have lately just gotten this horrible dread of going to the school to teach. I talked with a friend, and he told me that I can and should look into other options, since I am not happy. Most of my life I thought Id be a writer, and am considering really going for it. I just dont know how to go about quitting in the middle of the year. What did you do?
krystle

krystle

Dear Art Lover
Old 11-09-2008, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I really hear you. I just started my teaching program this sept. and I feel the same way everyday. I do not know what to do either. YOu say you love art, have you ever honsetly let yourself consider following that path? Because for me, as of this weekend, I've decided to listen to my gut, that its telling me that though I know teaching can be a noble profession,it's not noble to do it if you really want to do something else but are too afraid to try. In my case, I have always wanted to be a writer, and I think its high time I followed that, I think my bad feelings are a way of my true calling asserting itself. But as for the program, I would talk to your teachers or advisors or principail and tell them the truth. Its your life, and you dont want to starve yourself to death from stress and anxiety. I cant really take it anymore either. Good luck! Let me know what happens. It will hep me figure out my way.
ale

ale

How to go about quitting
Old 03-14-2009, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Hi. I just quit a credential program and teaching position Krystle, and I know what you may be going through. I was teaching at a high school which I attended and where I thought I'd be happy. However, times have changed and the school is more urban. Also, I have a small child at home and a husband who comes home late in the evening. Basically, I'm left with doing the cooking, cleaning, child care, and lesson planning. I probably could've made it at the school had I been single and childless, but for now, this was too much for me to handle, as I was working from 5:15AM-11PM non-stop, either in the home or for the school. Will I ever go back? Maybe....the administration was nice at my school, as were the other teachers...when my daughter is older, I may go back. Even though I quit, the principal said that I would be "welcomed back" and that I acted professionally in the way that I quit. This is what I wanted to share with you. You should quit in a professional way. This means that you should give written notice and stay your 60 days until the school finds a replacement for you . Once the school finds a replacement, you should do everything possible to make it easier on the school, students, and replacement. For example, make sure your records are in order, grades are in order and settled, you kind of "train" new teacher, etc. The principal told me he appreciated how I helped the new teacher and how I made sure grades were in and that students knew what their grades were and why. I also didn't use all my sick days, which would've been kind of rude. I only used 2, which looked legitimate and actually one time my daughter was sick. I suggest you do the same so that you totally don't close the door on a career you may want to go back to. Hope this helps.

FLAFISHERGAL

Here's a follow-up...
Old 03-15-2009, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

It is now the middle of March and FCATs are over. I'm still at the same school and the stress level is still the same. I hate my job same as the first day. Nothing has changed except that now I'm a bitter person who snaps at my husband and son. I've turned into someone I don't want to be-- demanding, argumentative and short-tempered. People used to comment on how easy-going and pleasant I used to be. Now, they say politely, "Yes, I've noticed that you've changed since you started teaching." Yeah, no kidding.

I'm sure there are instances where a supportive administration, a well-run school and great teammates can make the job enjoyable. But in this economic climate, those jobs are harder to find. Right now, there are 75 displaced teachers with tenure that are waiting for my job. So what's my motivation for doing good? Sure, I don't want to shortchange the kids and I have personal standards to uphold. But it's really tough putting up with this stress when you have a very low chance of coming back the next year. And the future looks pretty much the same-- I'll have no idea what school, subject or even location I might have a job-- or have any job at all. Some reward for doing a great job teaching....
FLAFISHERGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Daria

Daria

I completely emphathize!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I was so relieved as I began reading these posts. I'm in the same position myself, I teach high school biology, and man the demands are ridiculous. I'm required to be there at such an early hour in the day even the kids in my class are falling asleep. And my administrators will not listen to me about moving it to a later hour despite the fact these kids are overloaded with other honors classes and get very little sleep as it is. My first year was miserable and I even contemplated checking off that box saying I would not return the next year. But because I just got married we need a little money to save up. But this pressure isn't worth it. This year is worse, the politics of the school are enough to make any teacher give up. We have a policy at school in order to advance in the honors program to maintaining a B-, but little did I know that with a little parental pressure that all changes, and any child if they pressure teachers or administrators enough can advance in the honors program without all our pre-requisites. I am a firm believer in the integrity of education and with things like this that go on, I simply can no longer support its goings on. I'm glad this will be my last year, and I've been looking to see what others have said about leaving in the middle of the year. Any thoughts?
First/LastTch

First/LastTch

Here's a follow up...
Old 08-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

After my four years of Title 1 teaching, I did get a fourth grade class. It was a very difficult class with the "leftovers" kids. The other teachers got to choose the cream of the crop, so to speak. Even after death threats, the administration refused to get involved. I managed to hold the group together, and they performed well on FCAT and even managed to get 100% pass rate on the writing FCAT test.

So why did the principal not ask me back? I guess I must have failed boss-kissing 101. If a parent so much as made even the littlest fuss, they got their way. <<sigh>>

But I left with my head held high and didn't say bad things about anyone.

Would I have left mid-year? Yes, for sure, but as luck would have it, my husband got laid off at Christmas. As long as you give them a month to find someone, they should have no problem filling your position.

If you keep going the way you have, you will change as a person. For some, this is a small change. For others, like me, it totally made me a person that I didn't want to be. I'm starting my own tutoring company, and I think that will be a better fit for me.

Don't feel frustrated. I was disappointed at the lack of ethics and politics in education as well. I've been told that it depends also on your particular school and its principal. I don't have the energy to be beaten up again to find out.

Good luck!! I'll be rootin' for ya.
Cilla

Cilla

Old 08-30-2009, 03:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I had only done teaching for a bit, and I decided to leave and do some relief-work instead. I'm SOOO much happier now - decided it's not for me, will do relief for a bit but might start something different altogether!! Teaching is definetely not for me..not in a high school context, anyway. I think only you know if it's something that's "right" for you...sure, it will get easier with time, but if it's not right for you, and you're sensing that, no amount of "TIME" will sort it out for you...no job is worth your mental and emotional health, and teaching is very stressful...maybe do some relief /subbing for a while, that way u can try out different schools and settings...I think the way the system works, one has to have a lot of passion to continue on with teaching (good on u guys who stick w it)...for me, i just don't think its right so not good to keep pushing yourself when it feels wrong. Good luck, keep open-minded, do what's right for you!!! Get out quick if u want - that way u can start looking at other options Good luck xx
Dharti

Dharti

I also want to quit, TOMORROW!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I just finished my Masters in teaching in May. I was recently hired at an urban school that is under re-structuring (as mandated by the state). I really hate it there.... Its ONLY been one week and I wanted to quit since the first day. I know that it is my first year and it shouldn't be perfect, but it is way beyond that.
I just dont like teaching. Actually I hate it. I spend 4-5 hrs a day trying to create lesson plans that would be very enriching for them. I have tried so many different ways. BUT the majority of the kids just dont want to learn. NO mater what I do, I have students that would be sleeping, or complaning how hot it is (its true!), never on task, etc etc etc..... My classroom managing skills are just not working. I am doing everything that I was taught to do during my internship/school. However, this school is just not working for me. I have a mentor teacher and a staff that is willing to help. But all the teachers are busy with their own stuff. My mentor teacher is there for more a a guidance and telling me this and that. But implementing it those things are to difficult. I teach biology so I have to stay on track and meet deadlines for countywide testings... But if my students dont pay attention in class, do their homework or are willng to learn, then how I am supose to get them to listen.
it is unfortunate that those 12-13 students ruin learning for the few others in class.

I am 4'10", 23yrs old. Most of students are either juniors or seniors (or failing seniors). I feel a little intimidated by them. I dont have much life experience and they dont take me sriously at all. I try to be firm and fair and little strict, but then when it comes to teaching, its hard for me to have a sense of humor.
These students curse about 5 times in a given sentence. How do you stop that?? The school doesn't really have much consequences except for detention ONCE a week.. So they can misbehave about 5times a week and still serve one detention or they can misbehave about once a week and still serve one detention. I dont get it... They want us to call parents and tell them.. I have tried contacting 4 parents last week and none of them were reachable. Two were wrong numbers, one is a foster parent, and one I left message at mom's work (never heard back from them).. I truly wanted to teach.. but I am disciplining more than teaching... my family warned me several times before I signed the contract, but I thought I could do it. I thought I could make a difference. But I regret that now.. I hate it when I am in there!

Anyways, I've had it. I know its wrong to leave them hanging like this.. but I just cant do this anymore. I have cried every single day i have come home. School ends at 2:15, but I am usually there till 6:00pm! Soon as I get home I got straight to planning/grading etc etc..
I have lost interest in anything I do. I have lost 10lbs in one week because I've lost my appetite. I dont spend time with my family at all.

I dont want to come back to teaching. EVER. I have decided to join my family bussiness and slowly take over it. What I want to know is how to quit? Do I tell my principal or the HR department at the school district? I know I am under contract and I can get my certificate revoked, but I could careless. I see that someone had mentioned staying for 60days so the school can find someone, but I cant even stay another 6 hrs. I am ever dreading to go to school tomorrow!
Please help.
writergrrl

writergrrl

Ditto
Old 09-13-2009, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Hi,

Just a reply to say I feel the same! Let me know how it goes for you.
helpless too

helpless too

wish I could run away
Old 10-03-2009, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Despite feeling horrible about these posts, I feel somewhat relieved as I, too am going thru the same thing. I graduated 5 years ago with a degree in teaching but took a job as a youth pastor. I loved what I was doing but felt I needed to get my foot in the door for my teaching career. I have hated every day since the first day of school. I have anxiety attacks, feel sick to my stomach all day long, have trouble sleeping. I work at a school where I am not in a contract. Starting to feel that although I want to work with kids for a career because it is my gift, being a classroom teacher is not what I want to be doing. I am miserable all day long. When I get home I'm exhausted and all I want to do is go get into bed and cry myself to sleep. My principal is wonderful and so supportive and understands what I'm feeling. She wants to do whatever it takes to keep me - but it's put such a toll on my health, I just don't see how I can make it. I know first year is hell. I know it gets better. But I can't wait that long. I'm considering going to get a masters either in special education or school counseling. I know that my skills will be better used in a small group setting, or one-on-one. I have felt like a failure, but choosing an inner-city school as my first year was probably the worst thing I could've done. Maybe I was naive.. Anyway, I wish the best for everyone.
SubGirl13

SubGirl13

Please Don't Hate Me
Old 10-07-2009, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I'm in a similar situation to Dharti. I'm also just starting my first year of teaching at an urban school, and I also want to quit desperately. I moved 3 hours from my family to take this job. The thing is, I didn't really want this job in the first place. I only took it because I panicked about my financial options and because the administration is extremely nice. I was a substitute teacher and I worked regularly at a specific school; I couldn't wait to return all summer. But I was afraid that the work wouldn't be as regular because of the recession and a larger sub pool. I realize now that my fears were baseless and that the school couldn't wait to have me back.

I've been having MASSIVE doubts about teaching since I was 17. Most of the time, I knew it wasn't the job for me, but once in a while, I would idealize it (and push the reality of it out of my head). I applied to every opening mechanically. I was SHOCKED when I was offered this position, and I was going to turn it down. But I panicked and took it. Of course, I now know how selfish that was. I thought that I'd be able to get inspired and pull it off. My loved ones that originally agreed that I shouldn't take it are now saying that I should stick it out until June. The problem with that is that (like many of you), I have panic attacks and I sob every day. I think I've slipped into depression recently - I am never happy and I have no energy. I've run up my cell phone bills crying to my parents every night. More importantly, I've just been winging it every day in terms of lesson planning. These students need a teacher who wants to be a teacher. I don't, and I haven't wanted to be one in a long time. I just went "recession crazy." And there must be someone out there who desperately needs this job. I am overwhelmed with guilt.

Like Dharti, I'm young (25) and small (5 feet), and I teach seniors. Most students actually like me because I'm the "nice teacher." I've gradually stepped it up in terms of classroom management, but it's not working at all (not surprisingly). Also, the teachers and administration have been extremely helpful, but there's only so much one can do for a person who doesn't want to be a teacher (I haven't told them that, of course).

I'm relatively certain (I'm going to double-check tomorrow) that I can go back to my subbing job and my family would be glad to have me back home (I always ran a lot errands for my parents - both of whom certainly need the help now). I really loved my subbing job, and I'd like to go back to college and get on the career path I truly want (I have a sepcific career in mind). I'm only staying at this school because I don't want to let down the faculty and administration that have been so accomodating and sweet. I really don't want to disappoint people who have so much faith in me. But, as I said, the kids really deserve a good teacher (and that teacher deserves such a kindly school). I know what reason I will give if I resign (relating to family issues, and that is actually true), and I would stay as long as they need to find and train a replacement. I haven't signed a contract yet, so there should be no legal ramifications (as far as I know).

Please don't hate me for being so selfish. I realize my faults and errors now, and I'm extremely angry at myself. But (as some people have said), life is too short.
Dharti

Dharti

Reply to Dharti :)
Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Greetings,
Please dont take this a wrong way, but you should never do(or not do) something because you are afraid what people might think of you. You had to make a decision foryourself and thats what you did.
I am on your side 100%.. I know there are teachers out there that may believe that we're giving in too easily and we are not really "thinking" for the students' betterment. But i believe that at the end we are doing them a justice. They deserve someone that really belives in what they are doing. I didn't (As am sure thats how you feel)
Its been a month now since I quit and I am doing great. I quit on a very short notice, which jeopardized my chances of teaching elsewhere; however I am not even thinking about that right now. I have realized that it wasn't the teaching that I didnt enjoy. It was mainly the school environments, and students lack of interest (given i was placed in a school that was perfoming way way below the state average in HSAs).
Anyway, if subbing is what you truly want to do then go for it! the only person judging you is yourself. IF you believe that you did the right thing then no one will dare point fingers at you

My friend suggested that I read this book "the alchemist".. its gets a little philosophical, but I could really relate to it. It helped me develop a little confidence and self-affirmation.

I fact that you were wiling to stay there till they found someone to replace you shows your concern for the students. So dont feel that you are leaving them w/o any support.

Goodluck with starting school again. I myself am persuing what I had originally planned before I started teaching. Yea financially it sucks to be depended on parents, but they have been great so far. Atleast you'll have the suubbing that will keep you going for a bit. RIght now I am totally depended on my parents, which can get a little irritating and I get irritated. But at the end of the day, I remember how I felt a month ago and just thank god for not being in that situation.

anyways, good luck with everything. Hope things go well for you. Remember, dont do anything that you truly dont enjoy. Because now a days, its very hard to appreciate life otherwise.

Best wishes,
Dharti
Argh

Argh

Grade 8 Nightmare
Old 11-23-2009, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

You sound so much like me, I could cry. I'm in my second year at an urban middle school, and it's no better than the first. (It may even be worse.) In fact, I came across this site by googling "Can I quit my teaching job midyear?" Right now, duty is the only thing that keeps me going. (We can't quit on kids, right?) Well, duty and the fear that leaving midyear will hurt my chances of getting a job in a new district.

What's frustrating is when we do reach out for support, so many of the online comments imply we're just doing it wrong or we wouldn't be having such a tough time. If "doing it right" boils down to becoming a better controller of disrespectful children, then I don't really see much in it for me in the way of career satisfaction.

I assume you went into teaching in your 30s (like me) after trying other things that didn't nourish you. Teaching has always seemed like an important and soul-satisfying profession that really matters. It's hard to see it that way when faced with constant disrespect, apathy, and disinterest. I hate to see you leaving the profession after so short a time, but I find myself on the verge of walking away, too. I'd be curious to know how things are shaping up for you.

Best of luck!

Giuliana

I resigned today
Old 01-05-2010, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I too am a first-year teacher and felt the same way some of you have feel. I have anxiety attacks, I can't eat or sleep, and I cry every night when I know it's getting close to bed time. I cry because I know I'll have to wake up, go to work and teach. I know I am not the best teacher but I know I am good for a first year teacher. I would even say my classroom management is better than some of the teachers that have been there longer. A lot of my kids tell me I am a good teacher and compare me to other teachers in the same department that they've had previous years. They tell me they are learning so much more in my class.
Then there are the others with attitude problems and smart remarks about everything. I graduated high school six years and in such a short time kids have changed SOOOO much. We would never talk to teachers the way some of these kids do now.

I am naturally an extremely shy person...not much of a talker. I don't know why in the world I chose teaching. I am an emotional person. The minute someone makes a sassy remark its over, I get down and my confidence(if I have any) is completely gone. I worry what they are thinking of me.

During my student teaching I could kind of tell I really didn't like teaching but since I was going through a horrible time in my life, I felt this situation was causing those feelings.
At the beginning of this school year I was motivated for like the first week but as soon as that first weekend rolled around and I spent hours grading papers I was discouraged.
Call me lazy if you want but I do not want a job that I have to take home. I envy my boyfriend on the weekends who gets to lay around, rest, and do nothing in preparation for the work week. I felt my work week began on Sunday. Sundays were the worst, I would cry all day long.

I think kids deserve teachers who want to be there. Teachers who want to teach them, engage them, and keep them motivated. That's another thing, the high school I am at is big on keeping the kids engaged by making everything relevant, fun, and a game. I totally disagree with this idea. Not everything can be relevant and kids don't find anything fun unless they are connected on line or have something in there ear. Plus, high school is suppose to prepare you for college. I NEVER played games in college. I sat there, listened, and took notes.

Anyway I spoke with my Principal yesterday and officially turned in my resignation today. I don't know if I made a mistake. I know how bad the economy is but fortunately I am still young, live at home and don't have many bills to pay. If I have to work as a janitor, I will!!

My principal was very sad to see me go but said he understood and even said I was welcomed back.

I know the right thing to do was stick it out the second semester but I think my health is more important. I don't want to be like other teachers there who are only there to collect a pay check and don't really enjoy teaching. That is not fair to the kids.

I am curious to know how many other people went ahead and quit? Any ideas on where a super shy person can work?
Giuliana is offline   Reply With Quote

Giuliana

Did you resign?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Sub-girl13/Dharti, out of all the posts I can relate to your posts the most. I am curious to know if you resigned or are sticking out?
Giuliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Mesh

Mesh

I'm quitting in 2 months time!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I've teached for the past 5 months, and it has been the worst thing in my life. As a guy, i feel very happy that i could be a male teacher and all that, but trust me when i say that people don't know what teaching looks like! So here i am, dreading myself to work tomorrow, but I'm terribly happy as I'm quitting by the end of Feb. I want to quit since Dec, but my principal make me to stay, as I feel obligated I'm staying for another 2 months until they get my replacement.

I've learned a lot from this job, no kidding. but the amount of stress, pressure, ridiculous effort i have to made through out is impossible for someone to stay sane! And the students, i love some of my students for their adorableness but the high school one's, the one that i don't teach are amazingly disturb. The amount of tolerance i have to bare is crazy. I wasn't popular during my high school times, but no body when i said NO BODY ever disrespect me as much as they did. I'm tired thinking about this, and I'm just glad I will be out from teaching soon. What i will do? I will try to look up for sane job that deals with boss behind your ass or late hours / small wage one, for the sake to keep my sanity!
1stYearDoubt

1stYearDoubt

Thank you
Old 01-09-2010, 10:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I'm just so happy to see that I am not alone in this war of first year teaching. I hope I last to the end of the year. Thankfully, I have supportive teachers and staff around me, without them, I definitely would have quit. I'm hanging in there, with the stress, lesson planning that never ends and learing how to manage the behavior of a group of kids. It's difficult, exhasting and your emails have made me feel more empowered simply by knowing that I am not alone. Thank you!

Learnaholic

First Year Teacher
Old 01-11-2010, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

This is my first year teaching and the first semester was very difficult. I work at a middle school teaching a tier 2 intervention reading program to grades 6-8. The kids I work with are great kids but they do have their share of issues. I had several days where I wanted to hand my keys to my principal and walk out the door. But, I don't think I could've lived with the idea that I actually quit my job. I've definitely thought about not coming back next year, but then I thought about the economy and the possibility of not getting a job. I am not saying that Iím continuing to teach for the paycheck. I really do love my job. The only way I really was able to embrace teaching was to realize and acknowledge that I AM their teacher. I am the one who controls what happens in my classroom. While I cannot control their behavior, I can teach them and help them behave better. I can give them rules and routines to follow so that they are clear on whatís expected of them. I also made sure they knew that I expect a lot from them and I will not let them sell themselves short. I know teaching isnít for everyone, but I hope those who think about quitting think about why they chose teaching in the first place.
Learnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Dharti

Dharti

Yes I quit two weeks into the school year
Old 03-21-2010, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

As much as I hate to leave the students like that, I couldn't do it. I quite in september 09.. Last I heard from a friend who also teaches there- "the teacher that took over my position quit last month (feb)"- I am so much more stable, mentally, than I was last year...

Good Luck
Roger G

Roger G

College Part Time Instructor
Old 09-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I just started teaching part time on the college level after receiving my PhD and am thinking about resigning too. The students are the most uncooperative bunch of #######s--kids today think that they can run over anyone. My department does nothing at all except when you let them out early. My "coordinator" somehow found out and wants to talk to me next week. But I may preempt the meeting by abandoning that class.

ms maestra

I'm Another One
Old 10-10-2010, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I'd love to hear what those of you who did leave teaching are doing now!

I am a third year teacher who taught for 2 years in the same district and am now starting my third year in a new district. I thought that switching districts would change my feelings about teaching, but it hasn't. When I'm in the classroom and at school, for the most part, I enjoy it. I adore most of the kids, love seeing them learn, explaining things, the actual act of teaching, being part of what feels like a safe community for them that we provide - but I know it isn't for me and that I am not working to the 100% ability that I should be. I also can not envision doing this for the next 25+ years of my life - I want to see what else is out there, not feel guilty if I don't want to do schoolwork all weekend, not have all of the planning to do, pulling from administration and parents, and mostly, the disrespectful from (some, not all), students. I feel that I have realized other strengths in myself through these several years, and know that I can do something else where I will feel more fulfilled and accomplished, not that what I am doing is thankless.

However... I feel trapped. The economy is not great, and many of my other recent college graduate friends are having difficulty finding jobs. I feel like I can not find anything else I could do and that many places will no give me a chance as I am labeled as just a "teacher." It is a very defeating feeling.

Any advice - follow-ups on what ex-teachers are doing now? Any alternative careers that fellow teachers are doing?
ms maestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Danielleflor

Danielleflor

You're not alone!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

I definitely know what you're going through. I'm not a "professional" teacher yet, but I'm working towards getting a degree in Early Childhood Education. I recently started working at an afterschool program as a teacher, and I'm absolutely amazed at how difficult teaching can be! Classroom management is one of the most challenging problems that I'm dealing with right now. I feel like I'm trying my hardest to get my kids under control, and yet failing every day.
You're doing the right thing by seeking the advice of other teachers and praying. Please know that you are not alone in the way you feel. There are lots of other new teachers, including myself, who feel completely overwhelmed by classroom responsibilities. Keep in mind that you are still getting the hang of things. It takes years to become a seasoned and experienced instructor.
Finding a mentor who is able to spend a lot of time sharing their experience with you will make a huge difference! If you stick with it, you'll eventually get through all of the stress and anxiety that you're first year teaching can bring. However, you're not a failure if you decide to choose a different career path. You might feel a huge relief if you choose to take a break from teaching for a while. Who knows? Maybe you'll be more prepared for teaching a few years from now.
No matter what you choose to do, keep seeking the Lord. He will be your guide and your source of strength and comfort Philippians 4:13 ; Psalm 27:1 ; Isaiah 30:21
Danielleflor

Danielleflor

Old 11-17-2010, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

To Artlover08:

I definitely know what you're going through. I'm not a "professional" teacher yet, but I'm working towards getting a degree in Early Childhood Education. I recently started working at an afterschool program as a teacher, and I'm absolutely amazed at how difficult teaching can be! Classroom management is one of the most challenging problems that I'm dealing with right now. I feel like I'm trying my hardest to get my kids under control, and yet failing every day.
You're doing the right thing by seeking the advice of other teachers and praying. Please know that you are not alone in the way you feel. There are lots of other new teachers, including myself, who feel completely overwhelmed by classroom responsibilities. Keep in mind that you are still getting the hang of things. It takes years to become a seasoned and experienced instructor.
Finding a mentor who is able to spend a lot of time sharing their experience with you will make a huge difference! If you stick with it, you'll eventually get through all of the stress and anxiety that you're first year teaching can bring. However, you're not a failure if you decide to choose a different career path. You might feel a huge relief if you choose to take a break from teaching for a while. Who knows? Maybe you'll be more prepared for teaching a few years from now.
No matter what you choose to do, keep seeking the Lord. He will be your guide and your source of strength and comfort Philippians 4:13 ; Psalm 27:1 ; Isaiah 30:21
want2bthrivin

want2bthrivin

I agree!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I am a first year teacher and I had no idea how much work would be involved for my first year of teaching! I am teaching 6 different subjects since the school I work at small. This is making my first year of teaching even more challenging since I basically work upwards of 13 hours a day and don't have a personal life. I do enjoy working with the students, but I don't know if I can continue this workload any longer. Since I am teaching some subjects that are outside of my certification area I have to study to teach them-and learn as I go how to teach these subjects. I feel like I am doing student teaching all over again but this time its even more challenging, also I have this nagging feeling that maybe I'm not cut out to teach the subjects I'm not certified in... I am determined to keep my committment to the students by teaching for the rest of the year, but I need to keep my sanity in the mean time. This amount of work is making me question if I am cut out for teaching?! I mean, I enjoy teaching when i h av etime to prepare lessons that are fun, but with 6 different classes I hardly have time to make fun activities. To Artlover08 thanks for posting encouraging Bible verses!

Does anyone have any advice?
solecito

solecito

I QUiT
Old 12-02-2010, 09:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I quit teaching in my first quarter of the year. It was Horrible! Like almost everyone I got overwhelmed.. I got sick... Anxiety, stress, depression, tons of work, horrible kids. But Now im even more depressed and worried.. Now what can I do? Who will hire me after this bad decision I took without thinking about it enough.. I always wanted to teach but now that I got a taste of it I' scared of going back and plus I dont know if I could. I feel like I lost my whole career but teching drove me nuts I feel like I have goten crazy. I need help on getting ideas from those of you that had done the same thing. Where could I seek for another job? Would I get a chance to get hired elsewhere And what would I say in a next interview? That I quit because I got overwhelmed with loads of work or that my managing skills didnt work? Any ideas will help. I dont know what to do! Although I feel a little better after knowing im not the only one that quit because they got sick of it.
justcommentin

justcommentin

want2bthrivin's
Old 12-07-2010, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

I know its hard and I know you've heard this before. The second year IS EASIER. I promise. Last year was my first year and this year is so much easier and less stressful. Don't loose hope if you like working with the kids!

Everyone worries if they are doing their job right, thats a sign that you are concerned about your work! Educated yourself and do your best, go to workshops and trainings to increase your knowledge as the year goes on.
RJRB

RJRB

Teacher
Old 02-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

I know this is an old post, but I'm going to reply anyway, lol.

I am a 3rd year teacher, and I love my job with a passion. I find it hard to picture myself doing something else. But I am miserable with my job. I have been at the same school for all 3 years... and during the 1st year it was wonderful. The kids werent too out of hand, I had a very supportive mentor and administration. I was excited about coming back. Since then things have gotten worse. A little over half way through my 2nd year a few of my coworkers started to bad mouth me to the Principal. I was being picked to go to Workshops, and to lead workshops, and they began to complain about me being the Principal's pet. They made up things about me, lied to fellow teachers about me, and even lied to the Prinicpal.

I teach in a small town school, so word travels fast. Soon almost half of the staff was thinking this lies about me were true (like I was insulting people behind their backs, and plotting to get them in trouble, etc) Finally the Principal confronted me about this, and of course I denied it all. Unfortunately, the other teachers' words were taken over mine. The Principal put a distance between them and I. Not having that administrative support was a big adjustment! So my 2nd year ended not so well.

My 3rd year started with some of the same hostilities against me from those fellow teachers. I decided, with some advice, to just take a back seat this year when it came to things like Workshops, planning field trips, etc... anything that drew attention to me. So I did. That in turn created a few other upset teachers who were getting used to me carrying the ball. Unfortunately, I have still been rated as a liar to many of the teachers because of the rumors, causing people to question most things I say. Comments I have made have been twisted, and even innocent emails have been turned into me dictating, lying, and numerous other things. I feel as though I need to just sit on my thumb to stop people from fussing, but then have people fussing for me sitting on my thumb.

I am through.

I am not renewing my contract at the end of this year. I am going to go get my Masters, and begin again somewhere else. I feel like this is the only way to save myself and my passion.

I have not recieved must support for this decision, but no one outside of teaching really understands what teachers go through.

I completely understand people wanting to quit after being pushed too far. Most the time its the situation. So make a change for yourself!
SplitPosition

SplitPosition

Can I quit half my job?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

I am teaching in two schools in the same district. I love teaching in one school I am in. I adore the kids and the subject area and the grade level (middle school). However, I hate the school I am in for the rest of my day. I am sick to my stomach knowing I have to go there, I do not like the kids, the subject area or the grade level. I am finding that while I know I want to continue teaching next year, at the middle school level, I do not know if I can carry on teaching in two schools for the next few months. I am sick to my stomach every day because I know I will have to go to that second school at some point, I begin crying Sunday evenings knowing I have to go to work tomorrow. How badly will it affect my chances of teaching only middle school in the future if I leave this job in April?
kateam

kateam

better late than never!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

I know this thread was posted quite a few years ago, but I too am a first year teacher and sometimes it just feels nice to talk about your issues! I feel a little bit differently than many of the responders on here. It is true that this has been the most difficult thing I've ever done. The work load is ridiculous and the career itself is not always very rewarding.

I teach in a rural school district. I have four preps and teach upper level English classes. My student teaching experience, which I loved, did not prepare me at all for this type of teaching. During student teaching, I had two preps, a co-teacher classroom setting, and a block schedule. Things for some reason seemed to come more naturally to me then. Perhaps the assurance that my cooperating teacher was always there to save me was a big part of it. I also got a job right out of college, so the transition from a relatively relaxed lifestyle to a full-time teaching position has been hard. I wake up every morning at 6:00 a.m. so I can be to school by 7:00 and prep before school starts. I am always the first one at the school and the last one to leave. I am constantly stressed and plagued with self-doubt and the feeling of failure.

HOWEVER (silver lining) I am still excited about starting anew next year. I remember early in the year I would call my mom on the verge of tears. She would tell me everyone's first year at their "grown-up" is the hardest. You don't know what you are doing, you feel self-doubt, and you are put into stressful situations. I have been tremendously luck to not only have a wonderful mentor, but also great faculty members and administration. They are nothing but supportive and helpful. I would be completely lost without them. Also, while I do currently have more bad/stressful days than good days, the good days are what keep me going. When I have a day where everything flows smoothly, I get the feeling I had as a student teacher. I remember in those moments why I wanted to be a teacher and why I still want to next year.

Every teacher I have talked to, both at my current school and elsewhere, said that their first year was absolutely the worst. But the more you work at something the better you get at it (if your heart is in it, of course). I think first year teachers put so much pressure on ourselves. I know that this year, I am not the best teacher. I know I need to make some changes, but I am confident that I can do what needs to be done.

Wow! This was long, but I feel better about things now!
JH2011

JH2011

Teacher
Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

I left private school to come teach at public schools. The pay raise was $9.000.00 but everything else went down hill. In public schools administrators and parents care more about sports, band, dance, and cheerleading than academics. I have seen new teachers quit after one year. Last year two teachers at my high school quit after three months because of student behavior. In this state, Texas, even our elected officials are quick to fund sports but the heck with technology. I'm out of here at the end of this school year.

So lost

First & Last Year
Old 05-24-2011, 01:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

I have been miserable since October. Probably even in September, but I lied to myself and told myself I was ok. I had a permanent sub job in 2009 and had a horrible time then. I thought to myself that it was just because I was a "sub" and the students knew me as a "sub." When I began this year the eighth graders remembered me from subbing but my sixth graders had no idea. I Still had trouble throughout the year, and as of now I only enjoy one class and truthfully I only enjoy a few students from that class. There are those rare times when I teach, and I don't have to struggle with students, and I think to myself this is why I got into this job and I love it. The thing is there are far too many bad times involved in this job. My schedule, my subject, my grade level and the students in my class all contribute to the bad year I am having, but I really don't think I can see myself doing this for the rest of my life.

I teach in NYC public schools and my lisence is only for special education. I can't imagine going back to school to obtain credits for general education especially when that will not guarantee me a job with gen. ed. kids. The changes that are being made politically in the schools, the bs paperwork, and the changing attitudes of students have forced me to realize that things will only get worse as the years go by.

I can't stand another day of abuse from a bratty child who knows they can get away with it. My best friend at work had a chair that was flung across the room bump into her leg, not at her intentionally, but it did leave a mark (and mind you she is pregnant). The student was not suspended. If this behavior were to go on at any other job, the person who flung the chair would be put on probation or probably fired. So how can I stay at a job where this type of behavior is acceptable? The school I work at is not the only school where these problems go on. I have subbed at many places before I was appointed, and I have seen students verbally abusing teachers and throwing things at them as if it was a normal daily situation. I am not saying it happens everywhere and in every class, but it disgusts me to see that it goes on. The schools where these things do not happen are like Fort Knox, and the only way to get into them is with connections. It is even almost impossible to sub at these ideal schools.

I can't waste anymore of my youth being crazy and miserable. I can't wait for the day when I become a teacher with "excellent management skills." I know it is a process that develops overtime, but I didn't know my mental and physical health would be affected so badly by teaching. I made it through the year, but I did it all while wreaking havoc on my boyfriends life, taking him along on the emotional rollercoaster that has been my life for the past 9 months. I can't do it again to myself and certainly not to my boyfriend when he has been so supportive everyday, holding me when when I cried straight for the first four months of work and then after that every Sunday until we reached April. I still have panic attacks on Sunday though.

This whole experience of teaching is the reason why I am moving to the corporate world. I will stay away from marketing and advertising because I am aware those are extremelty stressful occupations as well. For now I am looking at corporations that have tuition reimbursement programs, so I can go back to school for an MBA someday (after I decide what I want to do). I have been looking at human resources jobs. I feel they would be excellent for any ex teacher. You need to have patience, a personable attitude, and you must be organized. Many human resources jobs accept degrees in psychology because it is considered a related field. Whatever I do I know I will be ok because I won't be broken. The same goes to anyone who has decided to move away from teaching. You were all smart enough to get a college degree and some have obtained Master's in Education as well. If the job is not right for you do not lie to yourself. I did and now I feel as if I have wasted four years of my life just from subbing, getting a Master's and teaching. I am just happy that I will soon be out!

Twenty-four more days with the kids and twenty-seven more days until the beginning of the rest of my life!

Last edited by So lost; 05-24-2011 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: spelling typos
So lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unhappy

Unhappy

Can I quit now?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

I never wanted to teach. As an English major undergrad people always assumed that I would teach, but I always knew it was not something that I was interested in. However, I ended up going down a path that led to exactly that. I ended up pursuing a Masters degree in Library Science (an area that I am interested in) with a concentration in School Librarianship simply because that gave me the most options for what type of library I could work in upon graduation. When I was offered a librarian position at a high school I accepted because it seemed crazy to turn down a decent-paying job.

I had a miserable first year of teaching last year due to a lot of the same factors that people have been mentioning - horrible co-teacher, no respect from my co-workers, little guidance from my principal, and misbehaving high schoolers, most being taller than me. And to be honest teaching just isn't a good fit for me. I spent all of this summer interviewing and trying to find another job so that I would have some security before leaving my current job, but I haven't gotten anything. Now there is a little over a week before the school year starts back up and I'm having major anxiety about it. I really just want to quit now, but I don't want to commit "professional suicide." There are a lot of other things that I would like to pursue, particularly other fields of librarianship. I would love to go back to school and start over. My dilemma is, should I quit now before the school year starts, but on short notice? Or should I go back until I secure a job, but potentially quit midyear? I have no doubt that I want to leave this job and this field, but I don't know how to get out without hurting myself.
Armand

Armand

I will quit
Old 09-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

I have read just about all the posts here, and as a first year teacher I easily relate. I am only 3 weeks into this job and will walk away next week. I am teaching in a U.S. territory since I couldn't find a job in my home area. My problem isn't classroom management, it is the complaints of children to parents over nothing and blowing it up into some kind of scandal. My first week I had already received two complaints about violating student's personal space. One was touching when I was brushing past a girl in a class of 32 and the other was for searching a bag without administrator approval when I had only moved it out of my way. I was dragged out of class by the VP to meet their parents to explain myself. The next period the girl says she has to sit with her friends and I can't do anything about it. I tell the situation to administration and tell me one more complaint and I am history. No support there and let me tell you about my resources... 3 weeks and there is nothing in the classroom but a chalkboard, no ELMO, no projector, no computer, no printer, broken phone, not even a mop bucket. Yeah, we have to clean our own class which has no walls but corrugated steel with holes, a leaky roof and an AC that cuts off too often, it is VERY HOT. Another thing, we are not allowed to make our own lesson plans but have to run with our department head's plan so everyone is "learning the same thing." I don't even have control over my curriculum. Most of the parents don't even speak English and will never come unless their children give a complaint as they see it as an opportunity to sue, they sue over everything here and I feel if a stay any longer that will come up eventually. A number of teachers already left for that.

My prospects when I leave are not good. I will lose my certificate in this territory, DGAF about that as I will still have my home state cert. I will be sued for a few thousand dollars I don't have since I spent just about everything moving out here and buying my ticket home. I still have student loans so those come first, the rest can go into collection for all I care. People will call me a quitter but I don't care. Mommy has my bed waiting so I will go back to subbing for $100 a day and be the loser I always ways. I never had complaints in mainland schools so I don't know if I will try for another certified job... ah no I won't. This has tainted me too bad. If you aren't happy with your job, quit. It is every American's God given right. Don't go one more day than you can financially handle, there is something out there for everyone and if it takes 10 years to find it, just keep looking. I know I will.
BrendaK

BrendaK

Ready to quit
Old 09-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

I've been a nurse for over 20 years. I decided to take a teaching position at a career based high school for students with an interest in the medical field. I started on the first day of school (missed all the orientations). My mentor is very busy and really does not seem interested in helping me. I'm working out of two schools and collectively have over 100 kids. I'm STRESSED. I'm enrolled in the certification course and trying to manage a classroom full of students who get on my last nerve! I think I made a terrible mistake. My peace and solitude means more to me than teaching....not to mention the 23,000 in revenue I gave up to take this job. I hate to quit so soon but this is just not for me! Maybe I'd like teaching at the college level better. Ugh. I dread Monday mornings
Brenda
Armand

Armand

I did QUIT!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

Here I sit, 8,000 miles away back home. I did it... I QUIT! I don't know what the future holds, but such a burden has been lifted off my shoulders. There will be consequences for my actions, but it is worth it to get out of a bad situation. Now I just need the airline to find my luggage... Delta sucks!
Guest2

Guest2

Life after teaching...
Old 11-24-2011, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

I can totally relate to all these comments as I quit teaching 6 weeks ago in my first job after teacher training. I've worked for 7 years before going into teaching and I know times can be difficult in life but if a job is making you seriously depressed/stressed over a sustained period then there's something wrong - either the job or you're just not suited to it. Given the stats in retaining teachers I personally think it's the job that's at fault. Lot's of people could make great teachers but the expectations are unrealistic given the constraints and political crap - and if you care then that tends to make you stressed. Rather than being a 'quitter', I think it takes guts to leave a job, especially in these times when jobs are few and far between.

I'm just glad I've seen the light early on and got my health and sanity back. As for the students apparently I'm 'sick, standing up to authority like that' ('sick' in East London means 'cool'). And I don't have to worry about setting a good example as I'm no longer a teacher... I'm just a normal human being who can forget about work at the end of the day and live my life :-)

Respect to those who are teacher, nurses, social workers, etc...
CmanT

CmanT

Is anyone out there?
Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

I have yet to find anyone out there with my situation.

I am 6 hours away from a masters in Curriculum and Instruction. I entered the teaching field in a very different way. I am approaching mid 40's. I have two degrees. My masters will come with an official teaching certificate. (I teach fine arts) and have a probationary cert. I have been teaching for 3 years.

It has been a nightmare, because it is always the program that is on the chopping block! It is always the first to cancel. I have already had all of my observations. I am trying to get approved to take a content test in other areas!. my university won't allow me to. They say I have to repeat internship, in the specific area of the content test! But you cant be hired to teach in that area without having taken the content test in the first place !!!! They seem to have no understanding in the quest for job security.

To make matters worse, I am still trying to pass the content test for which I teach. Under the NCLB, I have the dreaded not highly qualified letter written on me. And now, most people in my community are misled to believe that I don't even have a degree, or any sort of certification. (And I'm actually almost done with my masters with a 4.0) What really weird is that I have been placed over a special ed department as well.

And to think, they begged me to come.

I have brought technologies to the school that most 5As don't even have.

I feel as though I am in a tug a war between SB, parents, the state, and (my University.
which cannot answer any of my questions, without sidestepping the issue)

Anyone with any insight?
bbb50

bbb50

Old 04-15-2012, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

I am in the same situation. I am a new teacher and kids talk back to me so much. I come home drained every day. I'm going to my principal tomorrow to get help or see if I can resign. I've hired a life coach to see what else I could do. I don't even like to plan lessons now. Thanks for everyone's comments.
CindyLUwho

CindyLUwho

I quit & so can you
Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

There is a common thread in this thread: STUDENT BEHAVIOR.

This issue is not just affecting new teachers. It can happen to anyone. I have been teaching since 2002. I had changed careers in my 40's and left a lucrative job in scientific research to become a teacher (I was recruited). In 2011 I relocated and took a half-time teaching job at a local public high school hoping it would 'open doors' for me in the system and lead to a better job. I was teaching Biology, grades 9-12.

During the interview, I asked the principal to describe the student body and school culture as a whole, as well as what type of discipline problems were common at the school and how it was handled. These things are important to me. He lied and told me the kids were "economically disadvantaged but very respectful". No major problems. I took him at his word and accepted the teaching position.

Respectful? Ha! "Dangerous minds" was more like it. Found out I was the SIXTH teacher they've had since August of 2011, and this was April of 2012. The teacher before me had a nervous breakdown and had to be hospitalized. Seems these kids are big fans of getting 15 seconds of fame on "You Tube", mostly by trying to bait teachers into emotional frenzies or stressful exchanges for entertainment purposes. You would think an administrator would reveal any and ALL relevant information regarding previous issues to the new teacher, but this was not done. The principal told me the last teacher transferred to another school for a better position. YEP, a position in Siberia would be better than this one.

I lasted for 7 days and quit without notice. I have never quit a job without notice. But I literally packed my box and left the same way I came in. And I felt absolutely no remorse as I burned a trail out of the parking lot. ONLY RELIEF.

During post-exit interview, I was kindly "reminded" by HR that I would be given a bad reference for quitting without notice, and it "could become a black mark on my otherwise stellar record". To me, this is typical education-speak for "we gotta keep those damn teachers in their proper place!".

I reminded the HR person that it was actually them who would look bad rather than me. A person with my experience and credentials quitting after a week is a reflection on the school and administration, not me. I have a Master's Degree in teaching, triple certifications in elementary education, special education, & general education 6-12, plus I am highly qualified in 5 areas. I'm not a lazy slouch who quits. Duh.

My strength is classroom management. However, part of being smart is knowing when to walk. How many times have we heard people say "If only I had walked away before ___happened". Well, LISTEN to your gut. Don't be that person who knew they should get out, but didn't, and lives to regret it!

I wrote a nice detailed etter of resignation, outlining why I was quitting: fearing for my safety. I told HR that I would gladly provide my prospective employers with a copy of the resignation letter, just in case anyone was ever "fuzzy" on exactly why I was quitting without notice. Run & tell THAT.

I realize teachers are supposed to scurry around, keep their heads down, and not stand up for themselves, but I came from outside the field (Science & Research) and I don't roll like that. The last thing education wants is a revolution. The very thing education must have is a revolution.

Synopsis:
The first week was total hell. Before teaching in public schools I worked for years with juvenile delinquents in a post-release program, so I have seen the spectrum of insanity. Plus I raised 4 kids of my own. I WISH there had been a camera in the classroom so you all could see what I had to deal with.

Day 1. I arrived to find the desks had been moved into little groups facing each other with their backs to the board so they could talk and party. There were obscenities written all over the bulletin/blackboards. The collective mood was "we got rid of those teachers, and now we can party!!" Food was all over the place, in spite of it being prohibited. Floor was piled high with trash, bottles, and wrappers. Every kid came complete with a set of ear buds, pumping in antisocial music, and telling me to "shut the F-- up" when told to put away the electronics. I was called every name in the book because I put the desks in rows facing the blackboard, assigned seats, gave out bellringer activities, rules, and a course syllabus. Police had to be called to my room multiple times to restore order. Two were arrested. Insane.

Day 2-3, More of the same. I explained zeros would be earned for those who disrupt and have to be removed. Zero tolerance was implemented because I had no other option. You can't negotiate with terrorists. What did bother me was the few kids who were trapped in this mess and actually wanted to learn. It was so unfair that they should have their free & appropriate public education hijacked.

On day 4, Ditto, PLUS I was hemmed up in my room during my planning period by two students who were removed from my class (by the police) during the previous period for disruptive behavior. These kids entered the room when I was alone & told me that planned to "F" me up. Police got there just in time and hauled them off.

Day 5, Ditto, PLUS those same threatening thugs magically reappeared in my classroom. Nothing was done. I was told by security to admit them to class because they "needed to graduate" and admin was "working with them to resolve the issues". I knew at this point I was not the girl for the job. I was just being used and nobody there really cared about what happens to me.

I warned the "powers that be" that I would not work at a school where I had to worry about my safety and that I would not "pass" beastly students who threaten me just because they need to graduate. I've always adhered to a simple grading formula:
Earn the grade = pass.
Refuse to work = fail.
Act like a beast = epic fail & go to jail

On day 6, I arrived to find students doing drugs in the hallway restroom outside my classroom. Police were called. Nothing done. Classroom full of students with red eyes, lots of crazy-making, etc. Later, in the middle of class, one student got up and assaulted another student. They got in cahoots while waiting for police, and decided since they would both be in trouble the solution was to lie and say it never happened. They told me they would say "we ain't did nothing." They had no concept that lying about a crime doesnt make a crime disappear! It just makes you a liar AND a criminal. But I might as well be speaking Latin.

That final day was the turning point for me. I had just finished reading "The Gift of Fear", and I asked myself a couple of questions.

1) I noticed a high number of students who lie at the drop of a hat, with no remorse. Lying is their first thought, not a last resort. This indicates a high degree of sociopathology. How soon will it be before they lie on me and ruin my career with some make-believe crap? Who has the most to lose if this happens? <--ME

2) I am legally responsible for the safety of the other students in my classroom, yet I had to call the police to the room 18 times the first week. Admin does nothing, and returns these same students to class. Do I want to be held legally accountable if another serious assault occurs? Do I want to get sued and lose all that I have over out-of-control kids? <--NO

3) Hateful students with an agenda + students who are using drugs + students who are prone to violence + admin in denial = How long before I get injured or harmed in some way?

4) I felt there was a culture of corruption that was well-entrenched at the school. Very inappropriate things were being accepted and tolerated as normal. Am I willing to compromise my own values to keep the students, admin, and school system happy? <--NO

I was told by admin that I needed to "act this way" or "that way", and everything would work out. To this I replied: "I don't want to BE the person I would have to BECOME in order to work here."

I refuse to contribute to the problems in education by becoming deaf, dumb, and blind to student behavior and other issues. I have observed that many teachers who feel scared or compelled to keep their mouths shut tend to over-use "planned ignoring" and allow a lot of bad behaviors in the classroom go unchecked. They think in doing this they can keep off the principal's "radar screen" and keep their job. Hence, students are getting worse & worse because they are getting away with more & more.

It will be interesting to see what another 5 years of the "planned ignoring" and "stay off the radar screen" philosophy will bring the nation.
Guest2012

Guest2012

Happy I left!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

I always thought I could do anything, just put forth the effort, never a quitter. However, teaching definitely challenged me in a way I had never been challenged before. I went into it for all the same reasons: wanted to educate, inspire children, make a difference. Also, I thought I would be up for the challenge and would enjoy a career in which everyday was different and presented new situations.

After 2 years of subbing, in which I already felt I disliked teaching, but ignored the feelings, I was hired at a charter school. My first year was tough, demands were ridiculous, countless hours spent at home and after the students were out with lesson planning, prepping, grading, communicating with parents, and coming up with worksheets. My incredible grade level team helped me get through my first year. I thought it was a hard year but that it would get better.

My 2nd year teaching was actually worse! The principle, the students, the parents!! I also taught a new grade level in which I felt I didn't know what I was doing and not nearly enough support. It got to the point where I would break down crying at home, venting endlessly to my husband, dreading each day of the week, and getting sick to my stomach as I drove to the school. To add to the problem, even yard staff would steal my food from the teacher's lounge fridge!! I knew this was not normal and that I was beyond unhappy. I hated not being able to watch a Sunday movie with friends and family because I had to grade or prep or lesson plan. I hated spending every evening just eating dinner and then working until 10 or 11 and going to bed dead tired, just to wake up at 5:30 the next day and do it all over again. I couldn't image having kids and a balanced work/home life at this rate.

There were many things I enjoyed about teaching. There were the sweet kids that made it a joy to teach and it was rewarding at times. Unfortunatley, the negative outweighed the good for me and my unhappiness was affecting my personal life at home. That was enough for me. It was very hard to make the decision to quit. I felt like a quitter, like I wasn't tough enough. I was embarassed to explain to everyone that the career I put so much education and effort in just wasn't for me. It was difficult to admit to myself that I didn't want to teach anymore. I felt like a failure.

Discussions like these posted have helped me so much to come to terms that teaching is not for everyone and that I am not a failure just because I chose to leave the teaching profession. I quite in January without sufficient notice. I told my principal, and left the next day, packed as much of my things as I could take and never looked back.

I am working in the corporate world now at a 9-5 job. Even though I leave work at 5 I get home about the same time as when I used to teach. Hah! The best thing is that I get to cook dinners for me and my husband or visit family. I can hang out with friends and do things on week nights. I can be myself again. The cost was a hefty paycut, but my happiness is worth it. I have started low on the totem pole of my new job but I plan to get the experience necessary to advance to a career level position. Once in a while I wonder if I did the right thing. I ask myself "was it really that bad?", could I have stayed until June (I left midyear of my 2nd year), could I have stayed a 3rd, 4th, 5th year and so on? But then I remember how I felt, the same issues I had that most other teachers on this discussion board have, the unhappiness, and the amount of work and time that was not worth it to me and I reassure myself of my choices.
LucyLou2012

LucyLou2012

Quit 3 yrs ago
Old 08-19-2012, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

Hi all. I loved reading these posts. The reason I am reading them is because all i want is my own classroom again. I taught first grade at a good school. I was a career changer and age 41 with three kids of my own at that school when I started. I got all the leftover kids though, because I was hired 6 wks into the school year.
Anyways, I had some busybody parents that complained about me. My evaluations were good until the last 2 months, and then I got put on a performance plan for inability to communicate with parents and classroom management. I already felt like a failure because of how difficult the first year was. I never hated the job, but I hated that I didn't feel like I was good at it, or ever would be. I think the principal was trying to get me to quit. And, she really stopped saying anything good to me after that point.
I am not extremely consistent by nature...have to REALLY work at it. So, i figured I just might never make it as a teacher. Since then I did a long term kindergarten assignment which went ok, but after about 3 months, I could see my consistency decreasing and not so great behavior increasing.
But, I write because I started a masters in school counseling. But, then I took my kids to meet the teacher and all I could think about was how I wanted my own classroom again. I am wondering if I should take the plunge again, or if "smart people don't repeat their mistakes". I dropped my first graduate class because I think I want to give teaching another go. Anyone out there try again???
cindyluwhowh

cindyluwhowh

cindyluwo what happened to you?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

I'd like an update on your life after you quit the biology teaching job. I really loved your post and believe you did the right thing. I took a similar kind of job teaching ODD and ED kids and quit after seven months. I was threatened and the principal only wanted me to shut the kids up in the room and work miracles with them. I left before I died...

What happened to you after you left?

lansing84

first year teaching is so overwhelming
Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #67

Hello,

reading all of these posts has made me feel so much better. I am in my first year of teaching, teaching 4th grade and I feel completely overwhelmed- i can't handle the organization and the fact that there is always something to do- always! I am hardly eating and feeling completely empty. why is this job so stressful? I always thought that it was something I would be good at- I went to school for it and did well in my classes, but the reality is so different. I wish I had more help getting myself together- I feel totally inadequate and wish I could quit/ turn back time and not take this job. I have such a hard time planning lessons and assessing all the information- I have 25 kids and it is just a lot of students in a small place. I always knew that I was more suited for individual instruction but I had to go through this in order to get my credential...... ahhhhh this sticks! I know that I can't really quit yet, we just started... but I have never been more anxious or felt more alone. I feel like I am being a burden to my family and I am not able to focus on anything else besides work- it never ends! ahhhhhh how can I establish some balance? I feel such a huge responsibility to make this a good year for my students but I'm feeling like I am not the right person for the job.
lansing84 is offline   Reply With Quote

lansing84

Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #68

lucylou2012 - Maybe you could do something in a school setting that is not teaching- I am having a difficult time now and there was always a voice in my head that was saying that maybe my skill set is not the right one for classroom teaching... now i'm in it an wishing that I was doing something else, maybe the grass is greener on the other side?
lansing84 is offline   Reply With Quote
guest1234

guest1234

new teacher anxiety
Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #69

Its funny how this thread started years ago and is still going strong. Just shows that the stress and anxiety of first year teaching will be neverending. I came across this thread because I am having first year teacher doubts. This is actually my second year teaching but my first year in a "school" environment. My real first year I taught pre school and I absolutely loved it. I worked several years as an assistant prior and knew this was want I wanted to do. Unfortunately, preschool teachers do not get paid anywhere near what elementary teachers get paid ( at least in NJ). So hesitantly I took a job as a resource room teacher. It was a 24,000 pay increase and I was happy but otherwise nothing else makes me happy. I am not happy about the subject I am teaching(which is not my strong suit!), the long hours, the disrespectful students, the required extra activities that we must participate in, the endless paperwork and the feeling of the unknown. Also the fact that there are no resources... I have to buy my own paper to make copies, and since I have no books I have to make a lot of copies!! I miss my pre school days of reading a great book and creating fun and interesting projects. I will definitely stay the year but I am unsure if this is what I really want. I would just hate to go back to working for less than $300 a week. I know money isnt everything but it is important (especially with car payments, students loans, and a mortgage). I dont know what to do all I do is work and I lost my sense of happiness.
Same Feeling

Same Feeling

This thread has been informative...
Old 12-08-2012, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #70

I am a first year elementary teacher and I HATE IT! It's become unbearable dealing with the students, non-trustworthy faculty members, and not to mention administration. I've been playing tug of war with myself on quitting with or without notice. I live Florida and I'm not sure what the penalties are if you quit without notice. I've read a previous post that said they were fined. If it's a fine in my state, that would make me angry. But a suspension against the license I can deal with. The way I feel now, I don't want to step into another classroom. I would prefer a corporate job that starts at 9am and ends at 5pm. And I mean ENDS AT 5PM. Not end at 5pm, but go home with work, papers to grade, emails to check & respond to, lessons to plan/read/learn/review till midnight. I am stressed to capacity! I have never felt this way in my entire life. It's good to get feedback from others, but sometimes its easy for them to say stick it out if they're not in your shoes. Times are rough, economy is bad, yeah yeah yeah, I know. But should my health & mental state go down too. I'm depressed 24/7! Even on the weekend when I should be relaxing, I'm checking emails and studying lesson plans. Is it worth it????
Guest1567

Guest1567

Stressed
Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #71

I am glad that this forum is still staying strong. I am a first year special educator at a new school and I am feeling more stressed than ever before. With the alignment of the common core for my students of special needs, I am getting no support from my mentor or the administration. This frustrates me more and more. It is making me second guess myself as a professional. I love teaching children but when there is no help or guidance, it makes me hate the profession more and more. I really do not know what to do. I spent so much money on my degrees and now I feel like quitting. Any advice?

CAT888

Veteran teacher
Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #72

17 years! I've hated almost every day of it. I quit for 10 years and was forced back into it for reasons beyond my control. I was told when I started college, " just get a degree, you can do anything with it!" Yeah be a Walmart greeter.
CAT888 is offline   Reply With Quote

CAT888

Short answer
Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #73

No. It gets worse.
CAT888 is offline   Reply With Quote
1sttimer

1sttimer

New teacher entering the classroom in Jan
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #74

Hello. I thought that I had always wanted to be a classroom teacher. After graduating in 2011 I moved 8 hours from home for my husbands new job. That year I took a job midyear as a math interventionist and I LOVED it. I have always loved working with kids one on one and in small group because I love seeing the success. Well pay was only $9 an hour so I told them in May that I would not return unless it was for an actual teaching job. In Aug 2012 I began subbing as I never got my own full classroom. Then Jan 2013 my dreams came true... I got my own classroom. 6th Grade Math, and I LOVE math. it's now 2 weeks later and I HATE my job. I go home at night stressed and can't even lesson plan. I teach 4 Math classes a day and 1 Reading. I have come to the conclusion that I was not cut out for whole classroom instruction. I just absolutely HATE it. I want to go back to working one on one or small group or just quit altogether and join the corporate world. I don't know how to reach my whole class and I am sick and tired of going home so sick and tired everyday and working 7 hour days on the weekend just to catch up on paperwork, which I am still not up to date on. I am going to talk to my principal tomorrow and give her 2 options. I have it in my mind that I can stick it out for 4 months if that is what she wants, but if she believes the best thing to do fro the kids is find a new teacher, I will be there until they hire someone new. I came in to a room that was destroyed and I have completely reorganized it. I have graded over 1000 papers in the 2 weeks I've been there and I still need to enter them into my gradebook. I just want what is best for my students and I know that that is not me. My heart is not into whole classroom instruction and I don't want them to suffer for that. If they ask me to stay though, I can for the kids. It's just I am not going to be at my best and They can't expect me to be when my heart isn't in it. I know that quitting is going to hurt my chances at having another classroom in the future, but honestly I don't want another classroom of my own. Yes the kids are horrible, but I feel like if I enjoyed the whole classroom then I could suffer through the behavior issues so that I would have another shot at a better job the following year. I like many others who have posted here just can't shoulder the responsibility of the classroom.

Miss_Lady

Feel like quitting myself,
Old 01-21-2013, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #75

I took a maternity leave position about two months ago, and I am not liking it at all. The kids have been hard to work with.
This weekend has been the worst. I have been depressed all weekend, thinking (and working) on all the things I need to do and the things I am behind in. I can never catch up and I just want a day to myself without thinking about school. I honestly think I am not going into depth in what I need to teach or teaching them right. The kids NWEA scores went way down. I am a mess right now. As much as I prepare, I can never execute the lesson right. I feel like I am messing up a very good opportunity (probably I am.) The staff has been really good to me and I just can't help feeling that I let everyone down. I still have about 10 weeks to go and I don't want to be seen as a quitter but right now I feel this impending doom kinda feeling all the time. I am so disappointed and mad that I have not been able to get myself together.

I just don't know what to do anymore, I really wanted to be a teacher but the stress is too much for me.
Miss_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Anonymous54

Anonymous54

(Former) Fourth Grade Teacher
Old 01-25-2013, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #76

I am (was?) a first-year teacher also working toward my masters. I taught fourth grade at a charter school, and by December I had to quit. I liked my students (31, and all ESL/ELL), but the administration was awfulóthe director made things up about me and basically forced me out. It was a difficult decision leaving my students, but I talked to my mentors and my family and decided it was my best option. As soon as I gave my notice (leading into winter break), I felt a HUGE sense of relief.

My concern now (which seems to be something a lot of people wrestle with) is whether or not I want to go back to teaching at all. I've interviewed for a few positions, but I haven't been hired yet. However, the thought of returning to a classroom causes major anxiety. If I continue to teach for the rest of the year, I'll have my full teaching license, but it will also cost me another $8000 in tuition beyond what I've already spent, and I don't think I want to teach next year. On the other hand, I can quit and find a job in university administration or a nonprofit or something. Is there a way to tell whether you hated teaching because of the situation or because it's just not what you want to do? People keep saying I should finish it so I have the option of going back to teaching later, but I just don't know...
anonymous428

anonymous428

I don't think I am the right fit for the job
Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #77

Hi Miss_Lady, I also took a maternity-leave position about two months ago and your post could have been my post because it describes exactly how I feel! I only have about 5 more weeks left and am really looking forward to the end of this assignment, when the maternity-leave teacher returns for one week with her student before school ends. The kids really miss their former teacher and I feel like they are getting more disrespectful as time goes on. Often times, I feel like a broken recorder reminding students to make better choices and finish their work. Maybe I wouldn't mind putting in all the extra hours of work if the students seemed to appreciate it, but I feel like they always seem to find something to complain about, even when it's something fun, like playing academic and brain break games. I feel like no matter what I do, I'm not the real teacher in their eyes.

I'm sad and stressed out with the job. I don't have a social life because I'm worrying about the lesson plans and the kids, and when I do have time, I don't want to be around my friends because I don't want them to see me so down. After this, I definitely don't think I'm ready for a full time teaching job nor do I want one.

QuestioningTe

Quitting Teaching
Old 06-21-2013, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #78

I totally understand where you were coming from. I have 10 years in the classroom and have come to a similar crossroads myself. Can I ask what you moved onto. The unknown scares me.
QuestioningTe
QuestioningTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Vanishingsoul

Vanishingsoul

Lost and confused...
Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #79

Hey.. it is shocking to see all these posts.. I have a good question/ issue. I was hired at a charter school a few weeks ago. I have gone through all the training which was the past 2 weeks and school starts MONDAY! I am starting to feel like I should quit before Monday... My team is NOT supportive, in fact very negative and they do not help me at all. I have been lectured and talked down to in front of other new teachers by my team leader who threatened that if parents complain to corp. I can be fired just like that as if I am worthless. While my Dean and AP at this school are very very nice.. There is no point in telling them how I feel because it is a hierarchy in this charter school hence they would go back to the team leader talk to her and she'd just throw me under the bus and I am sure I'd be fired just like that as she said. Is it better to quit now even though I consider this very last min since school starts Monday? Does it make me a bad person? i want to teach but perhaps a public school would be more supportive or at least have a union.. I am obviously invested. I am going into a Masters program and even switched majors to teach.. but in a negative environment where already I feel alone, isolated, and floundering ( this is before teaching has even STARTED!) I kind of feel like I should just somehow say this isn't for me as embarrassing as that might be for me... I do not handle those situations well at all.. Any advice???
ZAnnz

ZAnnz

Always a job for a teacher
Old 08-22-2013, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #80

I disagree. Teachers are needed- you change your mind and want back in, you will find something.
2tired2care

2tired2care

I want out
Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #81

Reading all of these posts has really helped me out. I am a first year teacher as well and I am very close to calling it quits. I am currently on a medical leave of abscence for depression. Yea, teaching has put me into a complete darkness. College definitely doesn't prepare you for the reality of teaching. I am sick of spending all day teaching and then spending all night preparing for the next day. I wake up every morning completely dreading going into work. I have shed so many more tears than I would've expected to. Also by the sounds of it, things don't seem to really ever get better. Someone else in this post said that they wanted a job that they could leave at work and I 100% agree. When it gets to the point that you break down in tears just thinking about teaching then you know things are pretty bad. I want to live my life not just survive it. I think if I want to enjoy my life and not be completely consumed by my job that it is time for me to get out. I know it's considered "career suicide" to quit in the middle of your contract, but nothing is worth being this miserable over. Good luck to everyone else who is in this situation as well. We are not bad people for realizing that teaching is not for us!
Ojos

Ojos

cant sleep
Old 10-23-2013, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #82

haven't slept in 3 days, stomach hurts, cant think - its only day 3!
Bae20145

Bae20145

First year teacher
Old 11-24-2013, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #83

I am a first year teacher. I entered the classroom a couple weeks into school. They had too many students so they decided to add another classroom. After a few weeks I was told that I got dumped on. I was told I had at least 11-12 difficult kids in the room and some that should be in special ed. My mentor was busy and didn't really help me until things got out of hand. I am ready to be done. I feel beat down. I do have some people say that they didn't think that anyone could really do this job with my class. Is this right? I just feel so down about all of this.

doceo

kids make it hard
Old 03-31-2014, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #84

Teaching great students is hard. Teaching half curious, polite kids and half kids who want to bring you to your knees, is awful. One must be thick-skinned and Teflon coated. All the time. Every single day. Even if you have good classroom management skills, you still have the stress of having to implement them. All the time. Every single day. If you don't have good classroom management skills, you may become sick with stress.
The parents are nice when you call to complain about their children, but many times, I think my call falls into the great void.
The good old days when kids were brought up to respect their teachers and there were real, unpleasant consequences for not doing so are gone. I lament their passing. As it is, I am a talented teacher who can't grow a thick skin, resents the daily power struggles with kids. So I am quitting public school teaching. Parents are really failing their kids. Really, really failing.
doceo is offline   Reply With Quote