Parent Christmas gifts - ProTeacher Community

packerfan

Parent Christmas gifts
Old 11-07-2007, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I can't believe it is that time of year already. I was wondering what types of gifts do you have your students make for their parents? I teach second grade and am looking for something new to do.

Thanks for your help!

packerfan

packerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

chteacher

trivets
Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've seen neat trivets done at this grade level and younger.

what you do is get some beans, different colored ones, and the kids put them onto a thin piece of wood precut of course in the size that you want. They glue them on. You spray them after they are dried with a varnish. So they turn out shiny.

Try to get the surfaces level so that hot pots have a place to rest. But really if they aren't flat is is okay.
chteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

2 gifts
Old 11-07-2007, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We make cinnamon-applesauce ornaments. The dough is cinnamon, applesauce, and white glue. We cut out festive shapes with cookie cutters. Then after drying for a few days, we decorate them with puffy paints. They are cute and really smell great.
Also, we make calendars. I make a page for each month of the coming year using Printmaster, customizing pages with some clipart and info. on specific dates. The kids color in the clipart and decorate the pages. I also take a photo of each student in front of a festive background. We mount the photo (with a decorative paper background) on tagboard and staple the calendar on the bottom half. We attach magnets to the back for hanging. We've gotten many compliments on both gifts and the kids really enjoy creating them.
roo is online now   Reply With Quote
dkd1173

dkd1173

Wreath/picture frame
Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We make wreaths that can be used as an tree ornament if parents choose to, or just as a sort of picture frame if not.

Cut a wreath pattern out of posterboard (with a hole in the middle). Using an Exacto knife is helpful for cutting the hole out.

Have students glue elbow macaroni pasta onto the wreath, leaving space at the top to glue on one piece of bowtie pasta. All the pasta should lay flat (should not be piled on top of each other). Some kids choose to make a pattern with it.

Spray paint the wreaths green and let dry.

Spray paint bowties gold, silver, or red and let dry.

Glue the painted bowties on the tops of the wreaths.

Glue a photo of each child onto the back of the wreath so that the photo shows through the hole in the wreath.

Punch a hole in the posterboard at the top of the wreath and string a piece of yarn or ribbon through it to use as a hanger.

My students have always really enjoyed making these.

Laura

Just thinking about this the other day!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Another teacher and I were discussing this too! In th epast I have made Winter related items since I have a multi-Cultural group. We are making Wreaths (not too Christmassy) and snowflake ornaments for sure. I will make a frame on our partyday. I am unsure of what we will do that is big.

Laura is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Painted Ornaments
Old 11-07-2007, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Use clear glass ornaments - the regular glass balls. Take the tops off, squeeze in a little bit of two or three different colors of craft paints, and then shake gently. Place them upside down in the box with the tops off to allow the excess paint to drip out... when they're dry, put the tops/hangers back on.

It gives the ornament a marbled effect. We always do red/green/gold. Easy and they're very pretty.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

3grteacher

Oranments too
Old 11-09-2007, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have done oranments the last few years. I buy blue matte finished ornaments. Medium size. Then I have the kids dip their hand into white paint and they put the ornament in the palm of their hand and squeeze lightly. The white finger prints are then turned into a family of snowmen! It turns out so cute and the parents have a hand print from their child in 3rd grade.
3grteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MrChapp

snow globes
Old 11-09-2007, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Last year I got really brave and did snow globes in baby food jars. I bought inexpensive Christmas figurines at the drugstore (the kind that go in those little villages) and we glued them to the cap. I put water and mineral oil (?) in the baby food jar and the kids added glitter. Then we screwed the lid on TIGHT and glued it shut. The kids decorated the outside of the jar with snowflake stickers.

Some of them came out really cute, some were disasters. The glue didn't always hold real well. It took a lot of help from me and my three eighth-grade aides. The kids had a lot of fun.

If you google homemade snow globes, there are lots of different ways to make them. Maybe you'll be more successful than I was.

Of course, there are also the years I've cheated-- ordered craft kits from Oriental Trading Company.
MrChapp is offline   Reply With Quote

heddyb65

Rice Wreaths
Old 11-09-2007, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My first grade class has done these for the past couple of years and we love it!

RICE WREATHS

What You Need:
long grain rice
white glue
green food coloring
margarine or sour cream container
plastic lid ( from sour cream)
paper clip
red beads, sparkle dust, bows

What You Do:
In a margarine or sour cream container - mix enough glue with about 1/4 cup of rice to make it gooey.

Add food coloring to make a Christmas green and mix well (I give the children plastic gloves so they can use their hands to mix).

Put the mixture on a lid and form it into a wreath. You can also form these on wax paper and leave them to dry.

Stick a paper clip into the back while the mixture is still wet.

Let it dry overnight.

Take it off the lid and glue red beads in groups of three and some sparkle dust and maybe a bow.

You can leave it as is or use the individual pictures and tape them into the middle of the wreath for a great keepsake.
heddyb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
IMMANUEL

IMMANUEL

Immanuel
Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I Am Looking For A Gift To Give My Students For Christmas. For The Past Three Years I Have Given Them Snowman Soup. If Anyone Has Any Other Ideas, Please Post Them. I Once Saw A Gingerbread Cookie Poem, But Is Now Unable To Find It.
Thank You.