Career Decisions

Moving from AP back to Teaching

>

MsJulieAP

MsJulieAP

Moving from AP back to Teaching
Old 12-27-2019, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone! I was really hoping to get some input from everyone about my career situation. I am really sorry if this sounds like I am rambling, but I get kind of emotional when discussing this situation. Also, I apologize for this being a little bit of a long post!

Right now, I am an AP and have been an AP for about 7 years. I have performed at a very high level and actually won AP of the year in my district. I know I am on the principal track (and have been told by the superintendent that my time is near), but I have a lot of doubts at this point. The thought of being a principal and actually staying as an administrator actually gives me a migraine. In fact, I am considering returning to teaching and returning to my passion.

Unfortunately, the administrative staff at my school is very weak and I am forced to serve as the principal 99% of the time. The faculty, staff, other administrators, students, parents, and community all rely on me for everything. My entire school literally revolves around me all of the time and it has been a very unfair situation. I am put under so much pressure that I feel like I am starting to have anxiety attacks. However, I do it because I absolutely love my school and adore my students.

This job has taken a huge toll on my marriage and personal life, since it pretty much demands a 24/7 kind of schedule. The stress associated with this job has been extremely high, and it is actually starting to take a toll on my health. I have actually grown to hate my job and actually resent the other administrators at my school.

With all that said, I have always been passionate about education and working with students. I have really thought about leaving my AP job and going back to teaching. I always loved my time as a teacher and cherish that time more than anything.

Speaking to other administrators in my district, they said they would love to have me as a teacher at their school, but they also think I am crazy for leaving an AP position. Also, I would make my current salary or actually make a higher salary returning as a teacher than what I currently make as an AP, which is a huge factor in my decision. I would love to return to being a music teacher and return to what I am truly passionate about. When talking to people about it, I typically get two different opinions most of the time: 1) I am crazy for leaving administration 2) Go back to teaching and follow your passion.

What does everything think about my current situation? I would really appreciate any opinions, input, or comments. Thank you for taking the time to read my post! Sorry it was so lengthy.

Julie

KetchupChips

Old 12-28-2019, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Life really is short, especially to be miserable. Having read your reasons and that you have the ability to make a change, I say do it! Donít put others before your family or marriage. Good luck to you!
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 01-06-2020, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your unhappy as an AP.. youíd make the same or more money... why would you ever stay? Administration isnít for everyone.. and thatís okay.
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

Lmc762

Old 01-24-2020, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Follow your heart.
Lmc762 is online now   Reply With Quote