Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Lunch Ideas Needed

>

Persephone

Lunch Ideas Needed
Old 12-31-2019, 06:20 PM

Need tasty and filling lunch ideas for school.
My lunch since September has been: semolina roll + lettuce + tomato + Panko chicken; cooked apples; carrot sticks; coleslaw
My stomach is temperamental. So, I'm trying to eat the same foods every day that agree with me.
Raw fruits disagree with me. Hence, the cooked apples.
But, Husband pointed out that there's a ton of sugar in them and I'm eating a whole bag of apples every week.
(They cook down and shrink.)

Any suggestions?

What's your go-to lunch?

Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-31-2019, 06:34 PM

I just take leftovers from dinner. However, for the last month or so I haven’t been cooking so I’ve been taking Lean Cuisines. Expensive and really bad for me.

I really try to stick with turkey sandwiches with carrots and fruit.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 12-31-2019, 07:04 PM

I usually take a Greek yogurt and a banana. I don't like to eat a heavy lunch, otherwise I get sleepy or have bathroom issues.....neither of which works well for a teacher!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Lunch
Old 12-31-2019, 07:12 PM

Have you tried dried fruits? Maybe those would be more agreeable with your stomach needs. You could do some sort of dried fruit and nut mixture. Yum!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 12-31-2019, 07:30 PM

Natural applesauce?

Starr is online now   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 12-31-2019, 07:44 PM

I also do leftovers often.

Oatmeal and peanut butter is filling and easy. I eat a banana too.

What about a soup? Make a batch on Sunday and have it for a few days? I take mine in mason jars and fill them up individually when I make the soup.

Other things I like are goat cheese on crackers with some nuts on the side, hummus and pretzels with veggies, and cottage cheese or yogurt with random fruit/nuts/veggies.

I like salads too. They take a little more time to make, but I enjoy them. I've done egg salad on salad, arugula with beets and walnuts, chef, and Greek.
love_to_learn is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 12-31-2019, 07:57 PM

I usually take a turkey sandwich with applesauce (unsweetened) or grapes / strawberries. Some weeks I take chicken salad, crackers, and grapes. I also love taking soup during the winter. If we make a batch at home on the weekend, I have enough for leftovers for several days.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 12-31-2019, 08:02 PM

My go-to lunch is usually yogurt, fruit, and a little cereal mixed in. Quick, easy, but boring.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 12-31-2019, 08:33 PM

I've been happy with Sunday lunch prep so far this school year. I bought these on amazon. They're kind of like Bento boxes, though I think of what I make as healthier Lunchables.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as what I put in them, I'm breaking it down into protein, veg and/or fruit, and carb. So these are some of my fave combos so far:

grapes, baby carrots, a couple rolled slices of deli turkey breast, lightly salted almonds
a quartered orange, cucumber slices, hummus, wheat thins
hard boiled egg, cucumber slices, gala apple, club crackers
bell peppers, sliced colby cheese, wheat thins, grapes

I find I'm less hungry later in the day, and it's nice not having to microwave anything. In less than an hour every Sunday, I have lunch for the week.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 01-01-2020, 04:39 AM

Unsweetened yogurt and a measured container of nuts. Sometimes cheese cubes, a few crackers, raw cut vegetables, and nuts.

Fruits of all kind are very high in sugar. So, cut your portion of apples and up your portion of low-cal, low-sugar veggies.

I understand about eating the same thing all day for a temperamental stomach. Don't try to mess with the diet too much if it is working, just change some portions.

Linda/OH

lunch
Old 01-01-2020, 04:55 AM

I always pack cold stuff since microwaving takes too long , especially when I have recess duty.

I often make lettuce salad with grilled chicken, turkey sandwiches on Thinwiches, yogurt, or cheese sticks and crackers. I just keep a box of crackers on my cupboard at school.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 01-01-2020, 05:56 AM

I really would not worry about the sugar in fruit. The body metabolizes the sugars in fruit differently than processed or added sugars and they contain great vitamins and usually have a high water content. One bag of apples a week is not too bad!

My two go to lunches are:

* Red/Green salad mix with cranberries, almond slivers, grilled chicken and a Raspberry Vinaigrette.

* Hard boiled egg, carrots, celery, Bolthouse ranch dressing, and grapes
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 01-01-2020, 07:11 AM

I usually take leftovers or get school lunch (I get school lunch for free because I have an extra lunch duty). But if I pack lunch, I usually take a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, some chips, and an apple.
JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Lunch
Old 01-01-2020, 08:31 AM

I usually make soups and freeze in lunch size portions. Each morning I take one out and it thaws during the day. Bonus - I don't have to use the school fridge for my lunch! I will sometimes add fruit or crackers. I have a box of crackers that I keep at school.

I have a variety of soups frozen, some healthier than others.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

lunch
Old 01-01-2020, 09:06 AM

My go-to for lunch is always leftovers. I put some in a small glass container the night before, so I can just grab-and-go in the morning. If I don't have any, I grab a can of soup.

I also include some Greek yogurt mixed with fresh/frozen fruit (usually berries), but you could top it with granola or something else. I throw in an apple or other snack for right after school. You could do a trail mix (I like the Heart Healthy ones - I think by Planters) instead.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 01-01-2020, 04:16 PM

I like cucumber slices and bell pepper slices in my lunch. Yogurt, various types of cubed or sliced cheese are also some of my favorites for a packed lunch.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-01-2020, 07:22 PM

I might have to try that bento box idea. I quit bringing things that need to be heated up as I didn't like wasting precious lunch minutes waiting for the microwave.

I need to be a lot better about eating fruits and veggies and I figure school lunches is a good place to start. I used to eat with teammates, but at least 4 days per week (5th day depends on our IEP meeting schedule) we don't have the same lunch time anymore. I'm not a fan of the lounge and typically just work through lunch/eat in my room this year. I'm so busy that I don't really care what I'm eating, so it would be a good time to sneak in foods that aren't my favorites .

Occasionally I will bring in individual pre-made salads from the grocery store, but that's probably not as cost effective. I also will frequently by a bag of something like cuties/clementines, and then run out of time to peel and it eat during my lunch at school, so I probably need to switch to fruits like grapes or berries.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote