Guided Math Groups - ProTeacher Community

Inspired2Lern

Guided Math Groups
Old 11-09-2007, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have ideas and resources (books or websites) that would be helpful to implement Guided Math groups in a 5th grade classroom? I just started to research this concept, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Inspired2Lern is offline   Reply With Quote

jm2teach

Explain
Old 11-10-2007, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What do you mean by Guided Math?
jm2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

tampamom

found a helpful thread
Old 11-10-2007, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have also been wanting to have guided math to get to focus more on a few students at a time and get more feedback and thoughts from them. You might want to check out this thread that has some ideas.

http://blogs.proteacher.net/discussi...ad.php?t=57662
o.k. I'm computer illiterat today and can't get this to link (sorry)
tampamom is offline   Reply With Quote

tampamom

never mind ...
Old 11-10-2007, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

o.k. it did link itself (and I know I spelled a word wrong .. illiterate)
tampamom is offline   Reply With Quote

DiamondGirl

Guided Math
Old 11-10-2007, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use Guided Math in my 4th grade class room. Since I have Literacy groups, I use the same groups for Math. I use a Math Menu weekly, that'll I'll put below.

Math Menu
Week of Sept. 17-21, 2007

This week, I am responsible for learning how to
□ Identify the tenths and hundredths place on a place value chart
□ Read decimals using “and”
□ Relate decimal numbers with dollars and cents
□ Count change

Required Activities:
□ DOM(Daily Oral Math)…Week 2…Days 1,2,3,4, and 5
□ Study Island…Place Value 2, Place Value 3, and Place Value 4 (15 minute time limit) Hint: One of these activities will be graded.
□ Problem Solving…Numbers and Operations…Cards 1-5
□ FROG…Place Value and Rounding

Optional Activity

□ Gamequarium….You may play any MATH GAME. Have fun!

Friday Reflections

What did you accomplish this week? What was your favorite activity? How did you feel about the amount of work assigned? Reflect on your week.
_______________________________ ___________________ _______________________________ ___________________
_______________________________ ___________________ _______________________________ ___________________

I have an hour to an hour and a half devoted to Math. For stations, I try to have five (each for the five strands of math). I use Study Island, AM, FROG (game system), Take-it-to-Your-Seat- Math Centers, Drill and Practice Dry Erase Boards (basic facts), Probability, Geometry, Problem Solving Kit (I love this kit because it has problems from the five math strands), problems using a calculator, Geo Math Safari (a game system that uses the overhead), and workbooks. I use whatever I have available to me. Most of my station materials came from www.donorschoose.org. I've received five grants in the past two years. I have six computers in my classroom, so I use interactive math sites also. This teacher has game sites for students to use...http://www.steveandcat.net/mrswalker/games.htm.

This teacher has a neat list of math sites...http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=59616

I also use this to print math games. They are ready to print and require little preparation or materials. Scroll down to Week-by-Week Essentials and you'll find them there. http://community.learnnc.org/dpi/mat...s_k2_resou.php

Also, for upper grades...http://community.learnnc.org/dpi/mat...35_resou_1.php

At the beginning of a new unit, I give a pretest and a whole class lesson. Then I do stations for the rest of the unit. For my high level kids, I give them independent projects (making games, making tests for the rest of the class, doing webquests).

I don't know of any books on the subject, but if someone does, I hope they'll post. I started doing Guided Math on my own a few years ago simply because I saw the need for it.

Hope this helps,

LaTina

Last edited by DiamondGirl; 11-10-2007 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Added a link
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

angelangst

Old 11-10-2007, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have done guided math groups this year and would be happy to share what I do. If interested please send a private message, as it would be a lengthy response.
angelangst is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Problem Solving Kit
Old 11-10-2007, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Where did you find the problem solving kit you mentioned in your post? Do you remember?
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

DiamondGirl

Problem Solving Kit
Old 11-11-2007, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was wrong on the name, it's acutally called Problem Solving Word Bank, and it comes from Lakeshore Learning. I received the kit through a grant, but the price is $39.95.

LaTina

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo...lemsolving.jsp
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Read 4 Fun

Great Ideas
Old 11-11-2007, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

LaTina, I like your ideas on your math groups. Thanks for sharing;-)
Read 4 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

angelangst

Here is what I have done
Old 11-12-2007, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This is the first year that I have used guided math groups in the fourth grade. I have attached the station rotation sheet. Each group meets for hour at each station.

Totten Team Meeting: The children meet with me (about 6 per group) and they receive direct instruction from me about the current topic.

Current Events: The children work independently or with partners on work that pertains to the current topic of study. I use practice books and various worksheets at this center.

Radical Review: This station is used to keep up a weekly review of skills they have already been taught.

Problem Solving: This station centers on problem solving. I use problems from the book, ones I have made up, and various center resources to practice the skills they learn, but in the form of word problems.

Children are grouped according to my observations and their performance on a pretest. The groups are flexible and the children move to a new one as needed. In my particular station rotation sheet, purple and red are the groups that can move more quickly, whereas green and blue need more repetition. For this reason, I meet with green and blue for an extra session each week.

Tests and quizzes are not always given at the same time; I can instead give them when I feel their team is ready.

If someone finishes early, I allow them to take a center from the Take it to Their Seats Math Center book. Once completed, I correct it and give extra credit. Some days the children do not finish an entire worksheet. I correct what they have and stress quality over quantity. The kids really enjoy meeting in the small group and it is amazing how much more comfortable they are. Because I am teaching a group at all times, I allow the groups working at the other stations to ask a team member when they need help. They are able to help teach one another that way as well and some are more comfortable asking a peer for help.

I have seen great first quarter results on our county assessment and I was actually able to cover every topic on time this way. I also feel that for the first time, I am truly differentiating to meet the needs of all students. It does take extra work from the teacher because you are not planning the same thing for each group, however many of the activities can overlap, but are just given at different times.

I hope this all makes sense. I worked on it all summer and have had to make many adjustments to get it to work in the classroom.
Attached Files
File Type: doc math stations.doc (35.0 KB, 737 views)
angelangst is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnrye@hotma

thanks
Old 11-13-2007, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you for the great ideas.

I can't wait to get started.
dawnrye@hotma is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am also doing guided math groups for the first time this year.

You are all so much better organized than I am... I am just starting out.

I have a small class (12 students) so I have two groups, sometimes 3. I give a pre-test and we have been forming new groups for each unit.

I only have math for 45 minutes a day, so our time is tight! I do have a TA in the room though. (No Spec. Ed, private school.)

When I am not working with a group the rest of the class is doing any one of the following, which I assign:

game relating to current skill
math fact practice with a partner (flash cards) or a worksheet
independent practice packets

I meet with one group and do a mini-lesson, then get them going on their own. Then, I meet with the other group. The TA does the independent practice work, and helps with anything else.

I also use a checklist system, where they have maybe 6-8 activities to finish during our unit.

Alternating with guided days, I also do whole class lessons and projects that are grouped heterogenously. These are longer term, investigation type projects.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

Danita

Wow
Old 01-02-2008, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks for the link to the Week-by-week Essentials. I have one Plato class of 7th & 8th graders who need the extra work in Math and/or Literacy. I've printed off several of the materials for 6th, 7th, & 8th grade math to use with my Plato students. I believe that using this material will not only be enjoyable for my students, but they will be learning or enhancing skills too!
Danita is offline   Reply With Quote

Math Momma

Getting Started
Old 06-16-2009, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I hope someone has this bookmarked--I see that the thread is over a year old. It looks like there are several of us ready and excited to start guided math this year and any advice from the veterans at it would be great. I have purchased the book by Laney Sammons on Guided math and joined her yahoo group called guidedmath. I want to to know how you get it started at the beginning of school. I know for reader's workshop they have the first 30 days, and I was wondering how you get the kids to be independent while you work with guided groups? How much time is spent on teaching the routines---or how long should I expect to spend or need to spend on teaching the routines? I would really like to see the math schedule from the person that only has 45 minutes. We are thinking of departmentalizing 3 ways next year which would give an hour for math on paper--but the actual math time would probably be 45 minutes. Any help for getting this up and running would be greatly appreciated.
Math Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

jedgar

Old 06-16-2009, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=162606 check out that thread for more up to date.

45 minutes is not a long time but maybe you could do whole group instruction on Monday, lay out what students should be doing, and then meet with 2 groups, 20 minutes each day. One group should always be your lowest group. Then on Friday recap if needed. I would create some sort of accountability system for this arrangement though.
jedgar is offline   Reply With Quote

Math Momma

Thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thanks for the help and advice. I put a post on the other thread also. I am really trying to get this thought through over the summer.
Math Momma is offline   Reply With Quote