Retired Teachers

I hope there are a lot of you

>

Summerwillcom

I hope there are a lot of you
Old 02-02-2020, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

over here.
I am not going to be rich, but I am going to be retired in 4 months! Rich in heart! I am celebrating every last thing I do this yr.
I am already easily finding ways to cut some expenses. They are things I won't have the need to do when I am no longer working.
Plus, I am working on ways to cut corners already and am sooooooooo happy!
I have $$ saved and no debt, but I still have a fleeting feeling at times of what it will be like w/ a huge income cut.
I work at a small school and know which kids I'd get next yr, and it helps me know I can't do. ( A screamer, runner, cusser, and more!)
I can't wait to truly clean my house from top to bottom, redo the carpet, and paint. Simple things.....Also, not to wake to an alarm or deal w/ work related problems is such a freeing feeling.

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Congratulations!
Old 02-02-2020, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Retirement does bring new meaning to freedom. I hope your last year of teaching blesses you with a sping semester full of goodness. See you soon on this board as a regular.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

NancyLee

Old 02-02-2020, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Summerwillcom,
Iíve only been retired for a month and I was so nervous about itóand very nervous about the money too. So far, I am so happy I did this! I am on a totally different pace. So much more relaxed and rested. There will be more than enough money and I, like you, donít have huge aspirations. I donít think Iíll be frittering away as much as I did when I was running around like a chicken with her head cut off. It seems like a solid friendly group of maybe 20-30 members in here that post somewhat regularly. I think youíll like it here!
NancyLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 02-02-2020, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is weird, but I feel like I spend less money now, but I truly buy whatever I want Retirement rocks!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 02-02-2020, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Enjoy your last few months. This is my second school year of being retired and I find that I spend less on groceries, clothes and supplies. Now I spend my money on more fun things like travel, lunches and events.

hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Thank you 1956
Old 02-02-2020, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, I am looking forward to being able to.

Summerwillcom

I am so glad to know that- Nancy
Old 02-02-2020, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

because I will be online more. I like to avoid the cold in the winter...lol
Congrats on your retirement!!! I am glad you are enjoying it. Oh, the relaxing part is just so exciting to me. The pace is exciting! I think I'll like it too.

Summerwillcom

Cat woman
Old 02-02-2020, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I will need to be more careful! I am retiring younger than most, probably.
I haven't hit the big 6-0 yet.... I just can't make it to 62 the way things have become. I love the sound of retirement rocks!!!

Summerwillcom

hand
Old 02-02-2020, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I spend so much on eating out now b/c I am so busy w/ work that I don't have much time to cook, and it is really expensive here. Hopefully, I'll save $$ there. I love to cook too when I have time.
I will have way more time though to go out for coffee w/ certain friends which will be so fun!
I may do a few more vacations, but will have to cut back because I won't have a ton of money.
I look at it as I have already traveled more than I ever could have asked for in this life.

amiga13

Old 02-02-2020, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Congratulations, congratulations! I love retirement and hope you do, too.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Old 02-02-2020, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Retirement is fabulous and Iím sure youíll soon learn just how wonderful it is. You will be saving money on school clothes and all those endless supplies, gas to and fro, and lots of ways you canít imagine. AND youíll have loads of time to focus on your health, your happiness, travel, volunteering opportunities, art class, or anything else you have never had time to do. Enjoy!
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 02-03-2020, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

And don't forget that you get to change your PT name from Summerwillcom to Summerforever!
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Way to go!
Old 02-03-2020, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You've got the right attitude, Summer! Planning is everything and it sounds like you have looked to the future. Retirement is wonderful! More time to spend with family friends and yourself! Come July I know you'll have a huge smile on your face as you drop off your old work clothes at the nearest shelter or Goodwill!
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Summerwillcom,me too!
Old 02-03-2020, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am retiring at the end of the year. I just turned 49 so I need to find something else to make up the gap, but it can be part time. I might sub. I have 28+ years in.

I have purged a little, but I don't know what to leave for the next teacher. I have lots of district purchased stuff for my course.

My DH is leaving his job in state employment, too. He has worked in college football since he was a freshman in college. His new job is being a sales rep for a sporting goods company. This was an opportunity that will help us tremendously. He starts the new job tomorrow, but he is still employed at the university for 2 months to help with the transition. He is using vacation days when he is working the new job. He was granted permission.

We have dreamed of this point in our lives for a LONG time. I can't believe it's here!
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

Rathgar

Old 02-03-2020, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Hi,
I am going out October 1, so I'm right behind you.
I am also going "early" according to the state pension website.
I will be 57 when I retire.
I am a speech therapist and it feels so weird when I hold an annual review meeting and talk to the parent about the "goals that will be achieved by the next meeting". I know I won't be the one finishing out the IEP. It feels strange but freeing at the same time.
Every day I clean out drawers and take home items. It feels good.
Rathgar is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-03-2020, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Congrats! I'm over 2 years in and loving it! I retired early, and I'm really happy I did. I was really getting burned out. Biggest advice: start getting rid of stuff now.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 02-03-2020, 10:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Congratulations for making your decision. You will love retirement! I retired at 58 with 35 years in. This is my third year of being retired. I donít miss a thing about it. I have had a fever on and off for a few days. So nice to not have to worry about a sub especially right before testing. Actually, I would probably go to work sick. You will love the retired board.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

Old 02-04-2020, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I retired at 55. I have no regrets. I cleaned things out throughout the year. The last day of school, I walked out the door and into my new life. I did visit a few times, but I just felt out of sync when I was there.
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 02-04-2020, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I retired early and worried about money. I use the everydollar app for budgeting and really like it.

I have plenty of money to do what I want but not enough to do everything that everyone else wants to do. Itís all about the budget.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Congrats to all who are retiring soon...
Old 02-05-2020, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

One expense I was able to cut back on was clothing. I definitely don't need the type of work clothes I would buy before, especially nice skirts and dresses. And a lot of the tops and sweaters I previously wore to work have now become every day tops. And the same with shoes and boots. I have not worn my high boots at all this winter, choosing shooties, sneakers and flats.

I retired at 63, but opted to wait on social security till I reach 66 this summer. I will try to wait a couple of months beyond that to earn a bit more, but will probably be needing a car sooner rather than later, and will need to do some work in my condo, so I will need to collect. It has been tight, but like you, I have not debt and my car and townhome are paid off. Once social security kicks in, I will definitely have that extra cushion I want.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Amiga
Old 02-07-2020, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Thank you! I am already just loving thinking about it! I am sure I will like it. I probably should have left a few yrs ago, but I really felt the need to save more.

Summerwillcom

Anansi
Old 02-07-2020, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I already figured out that I'd be saving 1200 a month at least by not working. You are so right! I am ready to focus on myself for a bit. Mostly, my health. I have needed to do PT for an injury for ages and have kept plugging along. Finally, I'll have time to do it.
Once I get to feeling better and rested, I do hope to volunteer part time. As it has been for yrs, I have always had more $ than time when it comes to helping causes. Now the shoe will be on the other foot.

Summerwillcom

New York and Shelby
Old 02-07-2020, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

NY- I didn't know you could change your name on here. That is a great idea! Summer 4ever...<3 I live in Alaska though, so it'll just be a name change unless I am able to move to Hawaii.

Shelby- You have no idea how badly I need to clean out my closet....lol My fridge is more urgent though to clean...Ö So it is going to be attacked before the closet.
Oh, I am so looking forward to more time w/ family and friends. My time w/ them is so limited right now due to where I work. ( Distance)
I should not complain though because my kids settled up here after I came.
At least I get to see them maybe 2-3 weeks each month. Having my time more flexible will allow me to visit w/ them more. I am already smiling thinking about it!

Summerwillcom

Luvs
Old 02-07-2020, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Hurray for you too! We can do the happy dance together! That is amazing. I am at 28 too. I did some yrs in counseling though, so I am older than you. You lucky duck! I can't do it 2 more yrs. It has gotten bad here.
I am purging very slowly and have been since last yr. I work in a different area from my family and friends, so I have been trying not to be noticed too much.
I will be outed probably soon, but am not telling anyone at work. It is killing me not to tell a couple of good friends, but I know neither of them would be able to keep it a secret. ( I have a really good reason....) I can't believe we have less than 4 months now!!!!

Summerwillcom

Rathgar
Old 02-07-2020, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Congrats!!!! I know it feels so weird when people talk about next yr and I know I will not be there too, but they don't know. It is very freeing, but I feel a lot of guilt for abandoning a couple of people. They depend on me because of dynamics and have done everything in their power to get me to hang in there longer than I wanted to. I just can't do it anymore. I need to pick up the pace of bringing some things home. Only the MOST sentimental gifts are coming w/ me.
I'll still do the "happy dance" with you in October.

Summerwillcom

Annie G + Crazy4cats
Old 02-07-2020, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Annie, I am glad you are loving it! I should have left earlier too. I am tired. Better late than never. I am heeding your advice and am going to pick up the pace on Monday!
Crazy, I love cats. I have had 1 most of my life. My last 1 died a couple of yrs ago after I had her for 19 yrs, and I knew I needed to wait until I had more time to get a new 1. After I am done w/ all of the work around here, I am getting myself a special furball for a gift.
Thanks! I do not think I'll miss anything either. I have a couple of good coworkers who I like a lot, but will still see them....just less often.
Oh! I will so not miss trying to find a sub either....lol We only have 3 subs that will come to our school. They work at other schools besides ours, so it is really hard. I think I am tossing a lot of sick days to the sick bank!

Summerwillcom

Star and wild flower
Old 02-07-2020, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Star, If I get my butt in gear, I will feel better. I have just been dumping a couple of things a day on and off for 1 1/2 yrs. I think I will walk out the door to my new life too. I don't plan on ever returning.

Wild flower- I may check the app out because I am going to need to budget a bit more. My living costs will decrease though too not working. Yeah, I won't be able to do everything like before, but I will enjoy what I have.

Summerwillcom

NJ Teacher
Old 02-07-2020, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I thought SS was at 67. Can you get it at 66? I am hoping to be able to hold out until 67 too for the full benefit.
For sure on the clothes!!! I seriously don't think I'll need to buy anything other than "unmentionables" I have clothes from size 1- 14...pretty funny, but I have been all of those sizes over the years! I have not parted with the nicest of stuff.
So gain or lose, hopefully lose a bit, and I'll have a whole new wardrobe.
I am so excited!

TchrFvr

It depends on your birth year...
Old 02-08-2020, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

...here's a link to a website that showed when you can take Social Security at "full (normal) retirement age" based on when you were born.
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/agereduction.html
TchrFvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Thank you for the link.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I had checked it out before and remembered 67 as full benefits. I just happened to be born in the year that the age went up! Oh, well. Hopefully, I'll be able to do w/out SS until then!

TchrFvr

You can take it earlier...
Old 02-09-2020, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

...it just means somewhat reduced benefits. It might be worth investigating just how much reduced they are for you.
I decided to wait and take SS at my FRA of 66 and 2 months, so I'm not planning on taking mine until March of next year. But I planned for it and (hopefully) saved enough to get me there.
TchrFvr is offline   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 02-09-2020, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Summerwillcom, do your sick leave days count towards your retirement at all, instead of just giving them away? I had enough to be credited an extra year+ of service.
CK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

TCHRFVR + CK too
Old 02-09-2020, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I checked it out and it reduces the checks by almost 1/3 if I took it at 62 which is enough to make me want to try and wait longer. I may not be able to though. I guess I will see when the time comes. I was born in a yr that a lot changed....not always for the good!

CK2- It is a long story why, but I am going to have to probably kiss my sick days good bye. ( Sick bank) They pay a small % on a few and I can't take off this yr. It may sound like a really stupid reason why, so I hate to mention it.
My sister thinks I should. I have a really good friend I work with in what could be a really toxic environment if you still cared what some people thought. She does, and I am beyond it. I have been there a lot longer. I feel like if I leave, I am feeding her to the wolves. I am hoping she gets on the hiring committee and can help find someone that she clicks with.....there are 3 of us that kind of buffer each other from the drama.