Thanksgiving Ideas?!?! - ProTeacher Community

overwhelmed

Thanksgiving Ideas?!?!
Old 11-10-2007, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know it is right around the corner, but I can't seem to come up with a 5th grade activity for Thanksgiving for my students. I wanted to do something to put outside my classroom, but can't seem to settle on one idea. Any suggestions would be great!

overwhelmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Thanksgiving
Old 11-13-2007, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Thanksgiving is one that creeps up & then flies by.
Right now, we're working on a graphing unit. Maybe you are too. The kids could do different graphs about favorite Thanksgiving foods or one giant graph. We made a giant double bar graph showing my class favorites vs. my partner's class favorites.
Teach 5 is online now   Reply With Quote

shuntyswife

Mayflower Measurements
Old 11-16-2007, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A teacher down the hall uses yarn and maskint tape to measure out the mayflower down the hall. She doesn't have exact measurements but uses the available information to estimate 90 feet. Our halls aren't wide enough to show the width, but the kids measure out like a 5 x 5' square about in the middle of the ship...this is the size of the living quarters for a family of 5. The kids love it and it hits math & social studies. You could even have them write an essay about it! She uses information she found on online...

Hope this helps!

OOOHHH. We are making turkeys on Tues. You need plastic cups, yarn, sponges, construction paper, and glue. I have made patterns for the turkey body, which I staple to the front of the cup-and patterns for feathers, 5 stapled across the back. Poke a hole in the top of the cup and pull a 10" piece of yarn through & knot it. Then tie the other end around a small (maybe 1 x .5") sponge. Wet the sponge and grab the string with it, up inside of the cup, and hold tight while you pull the sponge down the length of the string. It GOBBLES!! Hillarious and the kids love it!
shuntyswife is offline   Reply With Quote

5/6 Teach

Disguise a Turkey
Old 11-16-2007, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know where it is on ProTeacher website, but I copied it for my 5/6 graders. It gives you a turkey pattern and you are supposed disguise it so it won't get eaten for Thanksgiving. It is written as a family project, but you don't have to. This can be enriched with so many ideas, especially writing.
5/6 Teach is offline   Reply With Quote