kids acting like animals?? - ProTeacher Community

Busy_Lil_Bee

kids acting like animals??
Old 11-10-2007, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

this ismy first year teaching and i'm stumped as to what to do with one of my students. i thought if anyone could help, it would be you guys one of my kids acts like a dinosaur, and not in a cute, attention-getting way. it's almost hard to explain if you don't see it. he talks in a deep growl. our speech therapist said if he does not stop doing this, he will most definately damage his throat and voice permanently. he moves and eats like a dinosaur, ripping his food off with his teeth, throwing his head back, and gulping it down. the strange thing is that he is painfully shy and when called out, gets almost in this "dinosaur trance." it's so strange. he draws very violent pictures, pictures of people dying and shooting things. i kept a bunch of them, showing them to our counselor and his mother. his mom doesn't seem too concerned. i told her my concern was that he was damaging himself for years to come. also, his grades were okay and now he's not doing good at all. he spells and sounds out things like he says them, always adding u's nd w's. the counselor has seen him, but he won't speak to her. i don't know how to help this child. his mom said to tell him he was not a dinosaur and to act like a little boy. this works for a while, but it seems to really emberass him. it's like he can't help it. any suggestions or has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? his home life is very rough, and probably still is.

Busy_Lil_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 11-11-2007, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would be very concerned with his behavior AND the violent drawings. Can you speak to your principal too? We have a referral process at my school for students we are concerned about. Does your school have some kind of a referral process? I would probably do that. Your counselor should be able to help you with this.

Also, document his behaviors. If there are concerns and a referral process, you will need to have documentation. Note times, dates, behavior, etc.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

Busy_Lil_Bee

documentation
Old 11-11-2007, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

i know i should be documenting more on him. thans for the reminder. our counselor is excellent and is working with him, but he won't speak to her. his mom did sign the release for him to be seen. they said he was this way in kindergarten, too, but i am not satisfied with that. i think there has to be a way to help this child. i haven't spoken to my principal about him. i will. thank you

GoTeachers

Old 11-11-2007, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A few years ago I had a very similar situation with a little boy!! He started out the year just being "shy" and quiet yet "busy." Busy meaning not sitting still or in seat. Then, he all of a sudden started acting like a dinosaur.

At first I thought it was a phase and would just tell him to stop. Well, it progressively got worse... he began doing this claw type movement with his hands and eating just like you described!! He also started saying that he was a dinosaur and his pictures became violent as well. He started trying to "claw" other kids. Mom and Dad was aware even before I called them in to talk about it. I think they were the issue though... they were having a rough time in their marriage and I think this was his way of getting attention.

We got him going to our counselor but she couldn't make headway with him either. He stayed this way the rest of the year in my class... sorry but true. It wasn't ALL the time, but at least once or twice a day he was a "dinosaur." He continued to act "bizarre" for the next two years, but this year he has moved to be with his dad in another state (mom and dad had eventually split). I worry about him a lot.

Sorry that my post isn't much help, I just wanted you to know that I too had experienced something similar. I just tried to give as much stability, love and nurturing as I could. I wonder why they act like dinosaurs? I wonder if there's some kind of psychological name for it? Keep us posted.
GoTeachers is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

Old 11-11-2007, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sounds like he is using that dinosaur persona to cover for his shyness or pain in another area. Poor guy. I agree with the others that I would be concerned and I would go through whatever next step your school has. Can you do a team meeting? Or at least if nothing else ask the school counselor to give this kiddo attention on a regular basis. Someone who is a professional at this needs to try to get him to talk a bit and see what they can find out.

By the way-- adding u's and w's in first grade can be a developmental marker. Not that it's a good thing, but I have kids every year who do it. It's because (I think) they are sounding out the last sound too much. Like "bath tuBU" Can yout ell what I mean? He may be vocalizing consonants that shouldn't be vocalized. One on one attention might easily fix it. THe w is kind of the same. He's adding almost a whole syllable in an attempt to sound out the word completely. Like in the word "you", he might write "you-wu" (Although it would probably be worse than that.) Again, not something to ignore, but do know that it's common.

BookMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote

Busy_Lil_Bee

thanks for the support
Old 11-11-2007, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

thank you for letting me know you have gone thru this too, goteacher! i don't know what to do with him, but everyone i talk to says they've never seen anything like it. it's like it's his defense mechanism- the thing he can go into to "hide" or something.

about adding u's and w's, he will spell words like cat, cuuut, or mice, muuk- just the way he says it. i do see some of my kids adding u's like bookmuncher was saying, but this one is really different. i just don't want this little guy to be "weird" his whole life. the kids are really kind to him, but as they get older, i worry. he doesn't play with anyone.

natnclay

dinosaurs and lions
Old 11-13-2007, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Just made me think...
I had a little girl last year who was shy, but then would growl like a lion around her mom. It was the most bizzare thing. She outgrew it by the end of the year.
I used to nanny for a little boy who went through a dinosaur phase. He was obnoxious about it though, growling in his sister's face constantly. One day he came home from preschool with a bloody nose. The carpool mom said another little boy punched him in the nose after he growled in his face. He never did it again! I thought it was great. He was fine!...
natnclay is offline   Reply With Quote

Busy_Lil_Bee

he moved!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

just when i thought we could be getting somewhere with him... he moved! today made 8 days in a row that he has not been at school. i have called his mom almost every day repeatedly (after day 3) to see if everything was okay, if he was ill, if they wanted to get his work, etc. she finally called the office back to say he was ill and would return thursday. today (tuesday), i asked the office to call again. after persistance and a few numbers, they discovered that the family moved over the weekend and he will be going to a new district. i can't believe it! i had a few hours to get his things together, but i didn't get to see mom (had to teach). i hope everything works out for that little guy. i hope he gets a good teacher at his new school that will work with him. i asked if i needed to put anything in his records and they said no, but when there is a "strange situation," the new school will usually call and request to speak with the child's old teacher to see what we were doing for him and where we left off. i still have my file on him. i'm just going to hang on to it. what else do you do?
Noahsdad

Noahsdad

Really?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If this is how you all act towards children, I really hope you look for a new profession. I grew up with 2 teachers for parents, and personally know what and how a teacher should act. Kids are kids, especially little boys... if you don't know how to teach little boys then again, you really either need more learning or a new profession.

If you haven't seen it watch a PBS documentary (or read the book) called "Raising Cain"

We are debating home schooling just because of what we now see in today's schools.

GoTeachers

Really?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Noahsdad what exactly are you talking about? The way we "act" toward children. What does that mean? I can only speak for myself but I'm sure the others will agree... I know the difference in kids are kids, boys will be boys etc. I'm not an idiot. I have a son myself actually.

The actions that I am speaking of go above and beyond what is defined as normal behavior in children. Until you are in the shoes or the classroom of those sharing their ideas do not presume that you know it all.

There is a HUGE difference in children acting like animals and those that actually think they are the animals and not knowing when to act or play like that and when it is appropriate. There is also a big problem when the child has isolated him or herself from others and can not carry on a typical conversation. There is also a problem when that child's interactions with other students is in the form of clawing at them and growling at them.

I know "play" and I know when a child is not acting in a normal childlike way.

Homeschooling might be a viable option for you if you think that talking to teachers this way is appropriate. There is a way to get your point across without being condescending (in which you have no right to be).

Walk a mile in our shoes and then talk to us!
GoTeachers is offline   Reply With Quote

DNF08

NoahsDad..
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I hope the editors remove your anonymous post. It seems clear to me you are not a teacher and are simply trying to be as condescending (as PP stated) as possible. As teachers, we come to this board to get advice and encouragement, NOT to be ripped on by anonymous posters who frankly have no idea what they are talking about!

As far as the OP, I hope the best works out for your little dinosaur boy. I would hang on to all of his files and hope his new teacher calls you so you can giver her the heads up. You did all you can for him.
DNF08 is offline   Reply With Quote