Help

Substitute Teachers

Closing schools because of coronavirus.

>

longtimesub

Closing schools because of coronavirus.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I live in California. Some schools have been closed because of coronavirus...

None of my districts decided to close their schools yet...But, who knows?

I talked to one of my neighbors about coronavirus...

He thought that people should stay away from shopping malls. But, he thought that schools were OK.

I told him that it is possible that a student, with coronavirus, could show up to my class and infect me and other students. I reminded him that I am in a room for several hours with students.

I told him that if a person is afraid to go to shopping malls then he should also be worried about going to schools.

Are you worried about coronavirus spreading in schools? Parents are asked to keep their children home if they are sick...But, there are parents who send their kids to school no matter what...

If schools are closed for the coronavirus now, will the summer vacation start later than scheduled? Will the missing days be made up?

Coronavirus is a very serious issue...I understand that schools may have to close in order to stop the spread of the virus...

Closing of schools is a bad news for a sub teacher like me...If schools close, I don't work...That means no pay...

longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-11-2020, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Many of your questions will need to be answered by your local school district and/or the state of California.

If you are in any way concerned about paying your bills due to a lack of work the prudent thing to do is seek other/additional employment. Both Lowe's and Home Depot are hiring now for the summer season. California is an expensive place to live, I have family in the San Jose area.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-11-2020, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I follow what the CDC says. They have specific guidelines as to if/when schools need to close. I don't have the link on me right now, but you can Google it. The CDC might not be perfect, but they know more than anybody else and keeps people from over-reacting.

I remember some of what they said, but a lot changed in the last couple of days, so what I remember might not be accurate, anymore.

I think it mentioned elementary classes having recess at differing times. It said to not have assemblies or sports games with over 100 people in the same room.

That's all I can remember, but they are guidelines and the school's/communities have the final say, for now.

Some schools moved their spring break to now so that there aren't any lost school days.

They are NOT recommending the 14 day self quarantine, anymore, because they are changing strategies.

When I get home I'll try to dig up the link to the CDC recommendations.

I'm in California, too, very close to Elk Grove, but I don't think it's anything to freak out about, or start hording toilet paper.

I don't bring up the virus, in class, unless the students do because I don't want to add to the panic.

I was wondering when this board was going to bring this up.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

It's different in each district.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think SubMan has the best advice. Finding other employment options is a good idea if you're concerned about income.

This virus situation is all up in the air right now. Everyone has a different take on it, from the POTUS to the governors on down. I'm not seeing any impact where I am.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-11-2020, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You know Corona beer is wanting to change the name of the virus to the Bud Light virus. A student told me that, yesterday

The kids talk about it, a lot, but until there is a confirmed case related to a school/district, they probably won't close. Administrators are probably busy trying to figure out what to if they do close. I'm hoping that's why they haven't looked at my edjoin app, yet. It could be awhile.

YayaSub

Old 03-11-2020, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our school's teachers were asked yesterday to prepare 2 weeks worth of E-Learning in case of a closure. The teacher who told me this felt the admin's tone implied that we will have to close. So far, we have a handful of cases in our state but none in our county.

I do not count on this income, but it will be a big problem for lots of classified staff. The ripple effect of this situation is going to be a disaster for so many businesses.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-11-2020, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

They're saying, here, that students will still be able to go to school to get breakfast and lunch, to take home, if it happens, here. There is 1 confirmed case in my county, but not my district.

So there will still be need for some classified staff, anyway.

Ima Teacher

Old 03-11-2020, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are preparing for a shutdown of 10+ days if needed. Kids will do work at home. We will not extend the school year.

DHs district has non traditional days already, so they have plans in place. My district does not, so we are building our plane while we are flying it.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Feeling nervous.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm in California, too, very close to Elk Grove, but I don't think it's anything to freak out about, or start hording toilet paper.
_______________________________ _______________

In San Francisco, the authorities banned large gatherings...Schools are still open in the city. But, I would not be surprised if they shut down eventually.

By the way, I live in Southern California...I don't think the situation down here is as bad as Bay Area. But, UCLA and USC decided not to have classes on campus. Students have to go online to listen to professors.

NBA suspending the season...What is next?

Fractured

Old 03-11-2020, 11:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If it gets that bad, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no one is going to be hiring anyone anywhere in any type of field. Everything will be shut down.

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

One day at a time...
Old 03-12-2020, 02:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

"I will be neither paranoid nor placid. I will be prudent and prepared."

We have an abundance of opinions compared to facts. Stir in a little mass hysteria and... well, the stores run out of toilet paper.

I'm willing to a bit off-topic to raise a concern that isn't getting enough attention. We need to address this with children in an intelligent manner, not based on opinions and social media.

One of the best resources I've found:

https://childmind.org/article/talkin...e-coronavirus/

The video is less than four minutes long and the accompanying article doesn't take long to read. It's a good investment of time. We don't need to have all the answers but we do need to know how to talk about it and be comfortable doing so.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 03-12-2020, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My state isn't considered "high risk" yet, but we have had a couple of schools close for a couple of days in order to do "deep cleaning" because they thought they may have had an infected person in the building. From the standpoint of subs, right now subs are in very high demand because teachers are being urged to stay home if they are even a little bit sick.

Because most schools here have a spring break in March, the most I've heard about closing in my immediate area is the possibility of extending spring break for a week. I suppose, whether it becomes more long term than that depends on how quickly the virus spreads here. Whether we would end up making up days would depend on a couple of factors: 1) Whether education is continuing via distance learning and 2) Whether the state Department of Instruction would waive days/minutes requirements for the school year.

Right now, school districts are mostly making contingency plans for online learning (finding out how many students would need chromebooks, having teachers prepare online lessons) and have begun cancelling field trips and other school-related travel. As of yet, high school sports events are unaffected. (I don't know if I think that's wise.) Most schools have a stepped-up cleaning schedule and are being more strict about sending sick kids home.

I would say that, yes, it might be a good idea to look for a different job.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-12-2020, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Two of my districts have sent word that they may shut down as early as Monday 16th.

Two other districts said they are monitoring the evolving situation and will advise accordingly. Both are with the same sub agency. We are to check Aesop every morning to see if we are to report.

bodhimom

Old 03-12-2020, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

School just announced that a field trip in San Francisco has been canceled.

Fractured

Old 03-12-2020, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

What kind of job is going to be hiring? No one. Retail? Fast food? I doubt it. A student was saying she works at a movie theater and no one is coming in. You are better of trying to get unemployment and using credit cards and savings if you have them. I hope the districts offer us some type of compensation if they close for a long time as it really will screw us.

Tori58

Old 03-12-2020, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
What kind of job is going to be hiring?
Food and pharmacy delivery services, other kinds of temp. jobs as more people have to stay at home because they're sick or quarantined, census jobs, healthcare-associated jobs (if you're brave!).

If I relied on subbing to pay the bills, personally I'd be getting signed up with temp. agencies right now for things like receptionist/phone, data entry, teller jobs.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-12-2020, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Elk Grove district was going to start spring break early...this week. But they changed their minds due to protests from parents and others ( I don't blame them) and so classes will resume, as usual.

In truth, it's the elderly, in particular those with existing health conditions, who are in danger. My state has, according to what I've read, moved from "containment" to "mitigation" with the recognition that many people in the general population have likely already come in contact and had no or few symptoms.

I personally feel the real danger is people's fear and overreaction to the unknown. Hoarding toilet paper and latex gloves? Seriously?

bodhimom

Old 03-12-2020, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

The problem is that our students have contact with grandparents. I say to follow the CDC guidelines, but it's not my call. They said that schools that close without the recommendation of the health department will not get reimbursed.

luv2teach2017

Old 03-12-2020, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

A lot of teachers, subs, secretaries, principals, and other school staff are grandparents, and they are still coming to work.

The operative words are elderly with existing health conditions. Those folks are extremely vulnerable to flus and any other contagious disease, so it's no surprise that they are vulnerable to this virus.

bodhimom

Old 03-12-2020, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I won't go back and forth - I'll just highly recommend everybody reading what the CDC has to say to ensure you get accurate information, instead of relying on word of mouth from questionable sources.

YayaSub

Old 03-12-2020, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

My school just decided to close the district beginning March 16. It will go until our 2 week spring break, so we after tomorrow we are out until April 13.

ETA: The first two weeks will be E-Learning days, not just wasted time.

Last edited by YayaSub; 03-13-2020 at 06:04 AM..
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-12-2020, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Tori- I mean if this goes full blown like Italy, then no one will be hiring. If there is a curfew or mandatory quarantine, no one will be allowed out. I don’t think it will get that bad because we don’t rely on public transportation like Europe does. Hospitals are cutting down to essential staff at some places, so I don’t think they are going to want anyone there. Frankfurt airport put out a hiring freeze weeks ago and told employees with sick leave to take a vacation. Business are cutting down staff.

Last edited by Fractured; 03-12-2020 at 05:08 PM..

MaineSub

Old 03-12-2020, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Quote:
In truth, it's the elderly, in particular those with existing health conditions, who are in danger.
That would be me! I was at school this morning (as a volunteer, not as a sub). Lots of kids were sniffing, sneezing, coughing--about the same as every year at this time. We're talking about (or at least should be) risk management. Since my desire for self-preservation is fairly high, I look at credible data and make a decision that isn't based on fear.

Group think and mass hysteria are separated by a fine line. Most organizations are going to take the safe play and it's often based on fear, not logic. Those decisions have far-reaching ramifications. I'm not sure I trust them to make decisions for me.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-12-2020, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Quote:
Group think and mass hysteria are separated by a fine line. Most organizations are going to take the safe play and it's often based on fear, not logic. Those decisions have far-reaching ramifications. I'm not sure I trust them to make decisions for me.
Well said, MaineSub!

It's a domino effect brought on by fear being fueled by the constant hype. It's a good idea to take a step back and think things through rather than getting carried away and overreacting (e.g. hoarding toilet paper and face masks).

bagano1

Old 03-12-2020, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Long-term and wondering if they're going to keep paying me through this crisis. I know they really want to retain me and don't want me to bolt. I just wonder if there is a government program to get paid while this is going on, or if I will just work virtually, which seems to be the best case option.
bagano1 is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Substitute contract
Old 03-12-2020, 11:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I hope the districts offer us some type of compensation if they close for a long time as it really will screw us.
_______________________________ _________________________

I signed the substitute contracts with my districts before the start of the school year.

The contract stated that districts have no obligation to guarantee me any work...

No, I do not expect them to offer me some type of compensation.

The head of the union, representing LAUSD teachers, thinks that the Los Angeles Unified School District should close the schools...

SubMan

Old 03-13-2020, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

At least three districts are shut down in my area so teachers can make lesson plans for a possible two week long closure starting as early as Monday March 16. The school I am at today brought in a couple of clerical subs to make copies.

bodhimom

Old 03-13-2020, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Bagano, wouldn't they still need you even if the school closed? I'm sure there is still teacher-type stuff going on if the school closed (posting lessons, contact with students via the computer, etc.). Unless they just want you to give them a "packet."

bagano1

Old 03-13-2020, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I have not been informed either way about what is going on. My feeling is, one, it will be made up by adding two weeks to the year. Ok. Two, worst case scenario, I'm done for the year. Bye bye 3 months of pay.

The economy collapses if this happens unless they compensate people because it's not like I can go find something else.

If only 80k people have been infected in China, and Wuhan has 11 million, maybe this has all been overblown. I'm just saying.
bagano1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-13-2020, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

How can you think they shouldn’t pay us if they also make it so that we can’t file for unemployment? This is a government mandated closing, so the state should pay us for potential days we missed or the district should. You can’t have it both ways. I’m so ####ing pissed.Also, thanks to the senate for nixing that aid bill.

Aillya

@Fractured
Old 03-13-2020, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I'm applying anyway. I swear I remember you saying you were in California, so here you go just in case.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...employment.jpg
I'm going there right now and applying. I don't know if it'll work. I don't know if I'll be punished for it later. I don't really care. #### them. These are my benefits and I'm applying. I'm not recommending anything though, so if you do it and get screwed don't blame me, but just letting you know that this is a thing.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-13-2020, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Thank you Aillya. If we close, that's the first place I'm going.

Aillya

Old 03-13-2020, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Quote:
Thank you Aillya. If we close, that's the first place I'm going.
No problem. Apparently California has expedited things because of the health crisis. I finished applying just now. I'll let you know if something bad happens to me, lol.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...84/unknown.png link is just screenshot proof that I'm not making stuff up. I've never applied during the summer because they always sent that stupid letter of reasonable assurance, but this time they haven't sent me anything and they've basically left me in the dark, so I'm gonna go for it.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-13-2020, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I don't see how it can hurt us, but stranger things have happened.

artladyhere

Old 03-14-2020, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

We have 9 positive cases and one death and our school have NOT announced any closures. We are on spring break though.

All sports/field trips/travel for our district have been cancelled for the rest of year.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Which state is this?
Old 03-14-2020, 11:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

We have 9 positive cases and one death and our school have NOT announced any closures. We are on spring break though.
_______________________________ __________________

Which state? I am in California...

bodhimom

It happened
Old 03-15-2020, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Well, I was called by the receptionist at my school, last night, and we're closing for at least 3 weeks. I just came here to get the link that Aillya gave out to apply for money. I'm feeling like crap, today, but trying to muster up the energy to fill out the form. If I get anything I'll be shocked, though.

Sirsubalot

Old 03-15-2020, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Ironically, I started to become ill with a cough and a headache on Friday afternoon at school, when the word came down the district was closing. All three of my districts are shutting down from two to four weeks.
Only long term subs will be getting paid.
I will be surprised if these closings end within a few weeks since supposedly the virus has not reached its peak. I will be out 8700 dollars if this goes on all year.
If I am feeling better by tomorrow, I am off to the unemployment office. The districts will do everything they can to make sure any compensation for us does not come out of their coffers.
Sirsubalot is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Applying for unemployment
Old 03-15-2020, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Quote:
If I am feeling better by tomorrow, I am off to the unemployment office.
No need to go in. In California you can apply online: EDD.CA.gov . I'm doing it today myself.

BadKitty

Old 03-15-2020, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

We are closed through the end of March (mandated by our governor for all schools in the state).
Our State Board of Education said they will count as Act of God days so we won't have to make them up at the end of the year.
Our district prepared for this just in case by putting together materials to send home with students since many don't have internet access or other resources. We found out Friday afternoon that we'll be closed starting Monday.

I'm luckily in a position where we can get by without me working for awhile. But for other subs who rely on this income... I don't know what they're/you're all going to do
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-15-2020, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

We should take this fight up ourselves. No one is going to fight for us. I have seen news stories about hospitality and domestic workers and nothing about subs. We are the last job on anyone’s mind. The last time I filed for unemployment it was next to nothing. Even if you get it, it won’t be enough to live on. I’m ready to start making noise with politicians if other people want to join me. I wrote my district and asked them if they would still continue not to pay subs if this goes past March and if they would let us get unemployment( since we aren’t allowed to file for it during breaks, which is what they are counting this as). I don’t think my union is going to do anything for me. Let think about this for a second. Even if schools open back up, people are going to be scared to go in. We’ll be asked to step up after weeks or months of no pay. Screw that. I’m going to start looking to see if anyone else if starting a group to do political action.

Even if you have a second job, I wouldn’t count on it for that much longer if it’s related to customer service.

Sirsubalot

Old 03-15-2020, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

DARN! I just settled down to file for UB online and it ends at 8:30. I will need to find time tomorrow.

Who do you write down as your supervisor, your sub coordinator, or the Superintendent of Human Resources?

The maximum benefit allowed is $450/week. I make an average of $700/week for a five day week, so I will get cheated even under the best case scenario.
UNLESS, things have changed since 2011, which is when the EDD video I got this info from was made.
Sirsubalot is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-16-2020, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I didn't know who to put, either. I ended up putting the principal, but I thought about putting the receptionist because almost all of my contact is with her. I only work at that one school, though. I guess if you work in multiple schools, you'd need to put the sub coordinator. I don't know who else you could put? IDK