Help

ARCHIVE

christmas gift exchange?

>

teachof3

christmas gift exchange?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

i am new to 5th grade. i was wondering if anyone had any clever ideas of what they do for their christmas gift exchange? in the past, with younger grades, i have done a book exchange, but i thought that someone might have a better idea for 5th graders

teachof3 is offline   Reply With Quote

dmamec

Old 11-12-2007, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about instead of getting little trinket gifts, allow students to bring in whatever amount of money they want to put in the "gift jar" and use it to buy an animal from Heifer Project International--read them the book "Beatrice's Goat" and help them see how a gift like that can make such a difference in the world.

Unless you are in an impoverished area, my guess is that your kids probably get more than they need like mine do...we did away with all gifts (even for teachers) and instead encourage service to others at this time of year.

Food for thought--the kids REALLY like the idea of buying animals for people once they understand what an effect they have.
dmamec is offline   Reply With Quote

Jump4Joy

Gift Exchange
Old 11-16-2007, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow, the idea of the animal gift project is great. I usually do a "Gift Card" exchange. The students fill out a questionnaire that gives them a chance to share their likes/hobbies, etc. and then whoever picks that person from the hat, gets the answers to the questionnaire to help them decide where to get the gift card from. We send a letter to parents first to let them know what we're doing. They are allowed to participate if the parent agrees to get the 15.00 gift card. There have never been any problems with this but if you have any children whose families are struggling financially, then it's a big problem.

One year we did the "Bring an Unwrapped, New Toy" drive and the mission came and picked up all the toys for the kids in the missions.

I have done the book exchange before, but unfortunately a few kids brought used books so the kids who got them were disappointed. It's a hard time to do much when some families really have struggles.
Jump4Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

dmamec

Old 11-16-2007, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My son has had a book exchange for the last 3 years--he is a top reader--and has gotten the following:
1 used book
1 Barbie book
1 book that was about 3 grade levels below his reading level

Needless to say, he's hoping for no book exchange this year!

mjoteach

Great idea
Old 11-17-2007, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I went to Amazon.com and could purchase Beatrice's Goat for $3.08 plus shipping. It is on the way. I will definitely present this to my class. Thanks for the great idea.
We also donate hats and gloves to our local service organization to distribute. We put them on a tree and give them for Christmas. We always generate hundreds to donate from our small school.

mjoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachof3

thanks! huge success
Old 12-10-2007, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

thanks so much for the great idea of donating money to heifer international to purchase an animal. after discussing it with my class, we decided this would be a great way to help those less fortunate. they were all so excited to sacrafice their $2 gift in order to bring in money and send it to heifer. my husband and I like the idea so much that we are matching the money that the kids bring in and that will allow us to buy more animals for families in impoverished countries. many of the kids are bringing in much more than their $2!!! What a great way to teach kids how to think of others before themselves!
teachof3 is offline   Reply With Quote

dmamec

Old 12-10-2007, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm so happy to hear it was successful!