Lesson plan Charlie the caterpillar - ProTeacher Community

smiles14

Lesson plan Charlie the caterpillar
Old 11-12-2007, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to do a lesson plan with the book Charlie the Caterpillar by Dom De Luise focusing on what makes a good friend or a true friend. The book is about a caterpillar named Charlie who wants to play but animals won't they say he's ugly and get lost Eventually Charlie becomes a butterfly and all the other animals want to play with him but he says no because they are only want to play with them because he is beautiful. At the end charlie finally makes a friend with another caterpillar and accepts her for who she is. I want to do a 30 to 45 minute lesson and I want to do a brief introduction to what a true friend is and I am looking for activities on what to do after the book. I want to know how I should assess my students. It does not neccessary have to be structured something simple would be great too! I appreciate any input!

smiles14 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoTeachers

Old 11-13-2007, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I LOVE this book! I read it in the spring when we get to my butterfly unit. I don't know if this will help or how you can use it but I have a cute activity for afterwards (craft). Let's say you have 20 students... get 10 DIFFERENT colored sheets of construction paper-in other words-each sheet is a different color. I have made a butterfly pattern out of card stock that I use and I trace it on each one and cut it out. Just make sure the pattern fits into the size construction paper
that you are using. I did card stock so I could reuse the pattern each year.

Then after you get all 10 (or however many make 1/2 your class), cut them right down the middle (in half). Then you could either pair kids up or draw names for pairs, or let them choose, your choice. Either way the students that have the same color get together and design their butterfly. It could work for what you want it too because you could talk about how friends listen to each other and come up with ideas together and don't boss each other and so on and so on. They have to work together to design the butterfly but they do their own 1/2 of the butterfly. But in the end when they glue it on another sheet of paper (I use white or manila) it should look symmetrical. They worked it out and talked to each other to make it look the same on both sides.

I hope this makes sense!! Let me know if you don't understand something. This is an AWESOME book!
GoTeachers is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsmiles

Charlie...a moth?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One thing I wonder about....in reading this book, dont moths hatch from cocoons, not butterflies?
mrsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

I love this book, too
Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My activity is simple and may not be able to access or what you are looking for but I'll share what I do anyway, just in case.

During the first week of school(usually the second day), we talk about uniqueness and how we are all special, one of a kind. There is no one else in the world like us.

We read Charlie the caterpillar and discuss the concept "to never judge a book by it's cover" kind of thing. It is what a person is like on the "inside" (personality - a good person or not) that counts, not what color their hair is, what clothes they wear, how tall they are, etc...

We review our uniqueness discussion and i intro the idea that we can prove how unique we are. We talk about how fingerprints show how unique we are. Every person's fingerprint is different.

I pair them up and have them look at their fingerprints. Then, switch partners and observe. Then we use ink to make our fingerprints and turn them into a fingerprint butterfly.

The fingerprint is the head. We add a small body and 2 wings. We talk about symmetry for the wings.

I remember finding something about fingerprints and detecting who fingerprints belong to. I'll look for it and send it if I can find it.

Hope it helps,
Shark
Attached Files
File Type: doc Fingerprint Butterfly.doc (44.0 KB, 151 views)
msharkey is offline   Reply With Quote

MalibuBarbie

Moth vs Butterfly
Old 11-14-2007, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Eric Carle made the same mistake in his Very Hungry Caterpillar book. Whenever I read it to the class, I tell them that Eric must've thought that first graders couldn't "handle" a word like chrysalis! ha!

In Charlie, he stays in his cocoon all winter--another indication that he might be a moth--but I'm not sure! Are there caterpillars that stay in a chrysalis all winter?

I LOVE Charlie, too--read it just last week as part of our insect unit. I think it fits VERY well with friendship! Do you know the book Big Al? He's a very ugly fish that no one wants to play with because he's ugly. Then one day, a school of fish gets caught in a big net. Big Al rescues them by biting through the net (I think--haven't read it in a while! the details are fuzzy) but ends up getting caught himself. The fishermen take one look at him and throw him back because he's ugly! However, the rescued fish are there waiting and are very grateful for what he had done. I think the two books would compare and contrast beautifully!

I love GoTeacher's idea! I guess the only other suggestion I would put out there is to each do a page (or work cooperatively!) for a class book called, "How to Be a Friend". The more books you read and the more discussion you have, the better their responses will be! These two books focus on LOOKS. You might want to get books that deal with other friendship issues such as tattling (Tattling Madeline), copying (Rita the Copycat and Stephanie's Ponytail), playground tyrants (Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon and The Recess Queen), bragging (The Popcorn Dragon) etc.

WOW!!! Now I've got some GREAT ideas myself for a friendship unit!!! Thanks for starting this thread and good luck!

Now I "gotta get outta here!"

Mal

MalibuBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

Fingerprint Activity Part 1
Old 11-14-2007, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It's called "Who Stole the cookies". The children have to use their detective work to determine which fingerprint is on the cookie jar to find the thief. They look similar but they are different in some way.

Who is the culprit?

I tried to send it but it says it's too big. If you are interested, PM me.

Shark
msharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Judee

Judee

Charlie lesson
Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I used the book this week for a sequence lesson with 1st/2nd graders.
I made small copies of pictures or parts of pictures on card stock. Then cut them out card-sized, put them out of sequence on a ring and had the students reorganize the cards , showing sequence of events. It was
a fun,yet simple lesson for them.

luella

Who Stole the cookies
Old 09-12-2009, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

would you please send to me?
middlemac3@sbcglobal.net
thank you for sharing...
luella is offline   Reply With Quote