Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

So NOW we should wear masks and gloves

>

Risa

So NOW we should wear masks and gloves
Old 04-01-2020, 04:03 PM

Does anyone know if masks or gloves are available (other than through Amazon) in local stores?

I honored what we were originally told by authorities that masks and gloves would not help to protect us from coronavirus. This week we are hearing it might not be a bad idea to wear them. I could kick myself for not buying the gloves I had seen on the Costco shelves. I had even seen some masks in a hospital pharmacy and I just walked right by them. I now regret going against my hunch that theyíd, at least, create some sort of barrier. Now I canít find them anywhere.

Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 04-01-2020, 04:09 PM

No no no because hospitals donít have any please no. They will be working without any protection soon. And then many will walk off the job and you go there with Corona and theyíll send you home.

I checked with the people and if you go on a ventilator soon, you may have no sedation. Awake the entire time. That is not good at all. So donít go get the masks and gloves because there arenít any and your loved ones will have no staff to attend to them.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

No gloves or masks
Old 04-01-2020, 04:12 PM

On amazon either...yes you can get them. At the end of May or June! I am just going to wear a bandana!! Everyone here is wearing masks.

Last edited by juliet4; 04-02-2020 at 06:50 AM..
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 04-01-2020, 04:14 PM

just ordered on amazon. Estimated delivery May 29th.
sonoma is online now   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 04-01-2020, 04:19 PM

Luckily, I bought masks last year for when I did my fall raking. I always felt like I was inhaling mold and dust and spores and whatever else. I think they are more important than gloves, you can always wash your hands or use hand sanitizer.

At this point, I don’t think I will wear my masks unless I feel like I’m in a high-risk situation.

The worry is masks will give people a false sense of security. Kind of like when they make cars safer, people just drive faster.

CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 04-01-2020, 04:19 PM

Donít use medical grade masks, those are needed by health professionals. There are tons of DIY mask tutorials on YouTube, some that donít even require any sewing.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 04-01-2020, 04:20 PM

Please listen carefully to what is being recommended. Medical grade masks should be saved for medical personnel. Homemade masks will possibly help particularly to keep non symptomatic carriers from spreading the virus. Gloves are not necessary if you are washing your hands and not touching your face. There are lots of tutorials online to show how to sew your own masks. Here is a tutorial if you’re like me and can’t sew:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...source=sh/x/im

I think it would be pretty easy to place a filter or more tightly woven cloth in this when you are folding it.
SDT is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-01-2020, 04:20 PM

The reason they told us that was because they were trying to prevent people from hoarding the masks and gloves that hospitals desperately need.

I still don't think gloves are the right way to go right now because everywhere I see people wearing gloves, they're just going about their business and spreading the germs that are on their gloves.

Gloves aren't magic. You have to use them properly for them to have any kind of benefit. When people don't wear gloves, they are far more diligent about hand washing.

I watched a cashier handle items, touch her face, and handle money all within the space of a few seconds. Gloves provided absolutely no protection for her or me in that situation. All they did was provide her a false sense of security.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

A tutorial on making no sew masks
Old 04-01-2020, 04:21 PM

DD made masks earlier today from bandanas and hair ties. I don't know which tutorial she used but this looked interesting:

http://blog.japanesecreations.com/no...tIZT-y5Cc6ERq0
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 04-01-2020, 04:25 PM

I ordered hand-made ones off Etsy for the family.

I ordered some off of eBay for dd who is an armed guard at a hot spot big city ER/Trauma Center. I paid way too much. She has to restrain patients just about every day — and they wouldn’t give her a mask OR let her wear a home-made one. Her company provides no paid sick leave and if you say you are sick her company wants a doctors note ($50/$75 charge to see the doc). Finally this week they are giving the guards 1 paper mask per week! She says the hospital personnel have N95 masks (the good ones) for now.

IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-01-2020, 04:25 PM

I always keep gloves and masks on hand. I bought them when Mom had chemo, and I still had some left over from when I had to do stuff for my dad when he was sick, and even when I was advised to wear one after having my immune system tanked by steroid treatments. I havenít used any of them, but Iíve been thinking about wearing a mask just because Iím sneezing from allergies. I donít want to share my sneezes with anyone right now.

I think Iíll make a cloth mask just for myself.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

gloves
Old 04-01-2020, 04:26 PM

Our local hardware store had gloves today. Our local hospital, fire department, EMT, and police have accounts with that store.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

To Clarify
Old 04-01-2020, 04:34 PM

I should have clarified that I understand not to use the N95 masks. My friend’s 3 daughters, an ER Doctor, and two nurses are out there on the front lines working long hours against this virus. My brother is a firefighter/paramedic.

Actually, what brought this on was my elderly mother’s doctor who told us we must wear (non-medical grade) masks and gloves when we deliver her groceries and prescriptions to her, even if we keep our distance. If I had a sewing machine, I’d make the masks we need. I’ve seen lots of easy basic patterns online. Fabric stores in my area are closed so I can’t even buy the small fabric remnants and other materials I’d need.

Last edited by Risa; 04-02-2020 at 01:24 PM..

anna

Old 04-01-2020, 04:35 PM

Gloves and masks remind people to keep their hands off their face. If the virus is on your bare hand ,you spread it everywhere. If the virus is on your gloved hands, it will slow down the virus transfer because you will be visually reminded to stop touching your face. The original message that you do not need gloves or masks was because the medical community did not want all of the gloves and masks taken by the general community.

Masks can be found on Etsy. I have always had gloves at home to clean my house so we are stocked on gloves. We have some masks left from the fire devastation that happened here awhile ago.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 04-01-2020, 04:35 PM

I think we will probably be required to wear masks when we leave our homes like other countries are already doing.
sonoma is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

The one sure benefit
Old 04-01-2020, 05:13 PM

This morning one expert stated that one real benefit is that a mask will make you aware of how many times you touch your face. Hand to face transmission is the problem.

I don't sew but I do have "liquid thread".
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 04-01-2020, 05:14 PM

I'm seeing more and more people wearing masks .
My son called today and said he found some he had bought last year while cleaning a closet and will drop off a few for me and DH.

I saw this tutorial of no-sew ways to make a mask. I think I a going to try #4.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-t...b62dd9f5d628e8
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We have a pretty decent supply
Old 04-01-2020, 05:34 PM

Hospice left a good supply when they used them for FIL last December. We have brought MIL back to her home for a dr appt. Weíre going to use the masks and gloves when we take her tomorrow.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-01-2020, 07:41 PM

I'm sewing masks for family and then I will make more to donate. I'm definitely wearing one when I go out.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Risa

No sew masks
Old 04-01-2020, 09:44 PM

A special thanks to SDT, bandmom, and marguerite2 for the links to no sew masks! They were all new to me. I was able to share them with friends who said they wondered how to get a hold of masks after they watched the newscast where a local mayor demonstrated how the mask should cover the face.

Iím going to dig around to see if I can find some fabric, bandanas, handkerchiefs or scarves that I can convert to masks.

MAsped

Old 04-01-2020, 10:46 PM

I ordered these on 3/28 and they're still in stock at the time I'm posting NOW:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 04-02-2020, 04:07 AM

Gloves will not help you if you use them incorrectly. In order for gloves to work, you need to have most surfaces disinfected and wear gloves when you will be touching something that may be contaminated. Then you have to take them off in a way that the contamination is not touched with your bare hands.

People are wearing gloves and not changing them. They touch things, touch their face with contaminated gloves, touch other things with contaminated gloves, etc. People are much more likely to wash hands and disinfect if they don't wear gloves.

juliet4

N95
Old 04-02-2020, 04:35 AM

We donated our 2 to a nurse in an emergency room. Now I guess Iíll have to wear my bandana.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 04-02-2020, 07:06 AM

Masks also keep the asymptomatic person from sneezing and coughing into the air. Gloves can be used to limit the number of germs brought into a car or home, although using hand sanitizer and Lysol wipes is still important.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-02-2020, 07:34 AM

I have surgical masks, gloves, and isolation gowns in my classroom because we do text features ďsurgeryĒ every year. I wish I had grabbed them when school let out for spring break but three weeks ago I didnít know we would be here now. I would keep some and donate the rest to essential workers who need them. We arenít allowed on campus so I canít go get them (not a bad thing!).

I do agree that many people do not know the right way to ďwear glovesĒ so it doesnít make a difference. I have a few pairs in my kitchen for when I cut jalapeŮos so if I need them they are there.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote