The Job Search

Rejected Yet Again...

>

Art1585

Art1585

Rejected Yet Again...
Old 04-05-2020, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A year ago, I did a sub position as an art teacher. Art positions are fairly hard to come by, so I was excited to get the opportunity to do this sub position and show my skills as a teacher. When the position opened up, I applied, interviewed, and then was really saddened when the position went to another. I felt I had done a good job and connected well with the students and staff, so the denial of the position was a big surprise.

Several of the staff members "friended" me on social media. One of them became principal of his own school this year, and an art position came open. I applied, and he interviewed me. A few days later, I got the rejection email. Again, I don't understand. I have materials ready, lessons ready, and I thought I had a great relationship with this principal.

I would ask for feedback in the hopes of correcting whatever went wrong [2 times,] but have been told by other veteran teachers to let it go and not ask, as I will not be told, even though this person is a social media friend, and I thought a friend in real life. So I guess my question is, should I delete the principal? I know people will say that friends shouldn't hire friends, but we all know that principals hire their friends all the time, so I'm pretty hurt over this, and feel like a real failure. Good enough to sub, but never good enough for the job. Will it make me look bad if I delete him from my social media? Or do I sit there and keep smiling, and wonder if I'm just a joke and do not ever have a chance at being a teacher?

Thank you for reading and helping.

GraceKrispy

Old 04-07-2020, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm sorry, that is really hard. I probably wouldn't delete him, but I would hide his messages (I don't do FB or any social media, but I understand you can do this). Of course, if you'd like to have more privacy in what you post (knowing he can see it), then you might want to delete him.

You don't know the reasons why you didn't get the job, and it might have nothing to do with you and everything to do with someone else. It's hard to understand all the politics that can be at play in these situations. I myself would probably ask for feedback just because I'd have a hard time resisting, and it's possible he'll feel guilty enough or want to be helpful enough to give you something. Hard to tell how honest or accurate it might be, though, since administration usually needs to CTA (CYA with "their" instead of "your") and he may not want to hurt your feelings if he did feel there was something that wasn't positive about your interview.

I'm sorry. I'm mostly just sending you (((hugs))).
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote