ARCHIVE

Sore Feet

>

Lyni

Lyni

Sore Feet
Old 03-15-2006, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone else have sore feet from standing on hard floors all day? Mine have been continuing to hurt off and on for two years and now they hurt all the time. Any suggestions on shoes or what you do?

Thanks.

imacacher

Yes!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My feet hurt too!!! I've had problems with my feet in the past two years (a torn achilles tendon and a stress fracture) so I always thought that that was part of it.

I've tried different kinds of shoes, but nothing matters much. I do have Merrell clogs (VERY casual though...more like hiking shoes) that I wear on Fridays with my jeans, and my feet don't hurt then.

I'd love to hear other solutions! Everyone else I work with (and I'm the youngest!) wears heals, but I can'T!
imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Gloria

Not just sore feet....
Old 03-15-2006, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but varicose veins too. The one thing that has helped my feet from not hurting so much is orthotics. They help to keep me in better alignment. A also go for comfort with shoes with a wide toe box and a rubber type sole, It has helped tremendously.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

Jennifer in OK

Feet
Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've taken to wear rubber soled shoes that are loose and don't squeeze my (fat) feet anywhere. I also invested in a foot massage/soaker. You can get them for about $20 at Wal-Mart. I would soak my feet on particularly rough day and it would relax me all over. Sometimes, I would add baby oil to soften my feet as well. I had to start sharing it with my then 4 year old son who loved the feel of the hot water and vibrations!
Jennifer in OK is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Ouch!
Old 03-16-2006, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I developed plantar fascitis (sp) last year. It was so bad I could not walk in the mornings. Finally went to the foot doc and got cortisone shots (worth it for me), BUT he said that Dansk shoe brand is recommended from the Academy of Podiatrists. I bout a pair of open back clogs since it hurts to have anything on the back of my heel. They are wonderful! And there are a ton of styles, I just can't wear most of them ;(

I'll be looking into merrell shoes for a more springy-type shoe since I can only wear the clogs from Dansk. If your feet hurt, get them checked out. Cortisone shots are a last resort, but the longer you wait, the worse it gets. He gave me a bunch of exercises that I do faithfully because they really help my feet. Now if I can be as diligent about exercising the rest of me!

dee is offline   Reply With Quote
GB

GB

Circulation
Old 03-16-2006, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You may have circulation issues. Your feet can hurt because you stand all day, and (sorry-gross) your blood literally pools in your feet, causing swelling.

Do this as often as you can:
Take a brisk walk, and it doesn't have to be very far. Then massage your calves. Then rest for 10+ minutes with your feet propped above your heart. You'll feel the circulation moving in your legs, too!

Get good shoes, or bigger shoes with good inserts. Get the foot spa from Wal-Mart, too, and really use it! Mary Kay's pedicure system products refresh feet, too. Really attending to your feet will show results over a couple of days. Your whole body will be energized. If you think something else is going on, then see a doctor.

Tounces

shoes
Old 03-16-2006, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I ususally wear Easy Spirit at school. Sometimes Aeorsoles. They are the only comfortable shoes for me. I have a bad back, so none with any heels.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

Tylana

Shoes
Old 03-16-2006, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have vericose veins and sore feet also. I wear Dr. Scholls shoes and they work well for me. Sometimes my feet still ache but not as bad as when I wore other brands. I also used to wear those backless shoes, a lot! Since I stopped wearing those, I have noticed a tremendous difference. For the vericose veins I wear those stockings that restrict your leg a bit. They usually help on my worst days. I try not to wear them to school, just at night. I don't like to have to take them off at school if it gets to bothering me.
Tylana is offline   Reply With Quote

Nik

Dansko is the only way to go
Old 03-16-2006, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Dansko shoes are the best! They are expensive, but well worth the cost. I bought a pair of dressier Dansko shoes in black and in brown. I loved them so much I bought another pair in blue that is a bit more casual. And my most purchase was a pair of sandals. I hate to even try to wear anything else. My feet don't hurt anymore. It did take a little bit of time to get use to them because they support your feet so well and I was not use to that. I will tell you that Dansko has an online outlet store and some online shoe stores offer better prices than I can find in the one speciality shoe store that carries them here in town. Try them! You will not want to wear anything else!
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Lyni

Lyni

Sore feet
Old 03-16-2006, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Dee, I have been to the doctor. She gave me new orthodics. I had old ones from 1990. She thought I needed new ones. 349.00 later, I still have sore feet. I get better when I stay off of them for a time, but I can barely walk in the mornings or if I lay down at night for a minute. Could you tell me more about how the cortisone shots work? I have worn merrill shoes, dansko, and nike. Nothing works. I am ready to give up on teaching because I hurt so bad at night and in the mornings. I don't know if my doctor knows what to do. I live in a small town and she is a foot doctor. However, I've been to her 3 times and am still having trouble.

istoleahalo

Old 03-16-2006, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Plantar Fasciitis hurts!! Lots of teachers get it because they are on their feet so much. If you had that, your heel would have sharp pain when you first walk in the morning or after sitting for a while. Here is some information my coach as about it (I run so I guess I'm at a double whammy risk) http://www.brevardtnt.org/Plantar%20Fasciitis.htm

The cortizone shot goes right into the inflamation in the heel so that it goes down and you don't have the pain.

I would say get a new foot dr. if you can if nothing is helping.
istoleahalo is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Cortisone shots
Old 03-16-2006, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My feet hurt as though someone had whacked them 40 times really hard on the bottom with a 2 by 4. Fortunately when I went to my primary for a referral, he has the same problem. He told me that usually people manage to wait about 6 months before doing anything about their feet, I waited 2 years. (He told me I got the prize for matrydom.) So got my referral...

First off, I am soooo squeamish, but honestly the thought was worse than the shots! After x-rays confirmed I did not have bone spurs, he said shots were in order. First he pushed his thumb into the bottom of my heel just before the arch to pinpoint exactly where it hurt. THAT really hurt. Then he sprayed a numbing spray. I honestly did not feel anything except a "filling up" sensation. He taped my feet lightly, and I still am not exactly sure why. But I had to keep the tape dry for a few days. Wearing rubber gloves taped to my feet in the shower was a riot! My feet felt better immediately, but the taping was awkward so I didn't really appreciate the difference until later.
I could remove the tape after a few days. There was some bruising which went away in a few more days. I felt GREAT!!!! I also mentally felt better than I had in a long time. (My therapist said pain can be very depressing.)

I asked the foot doc how long it would last and he said it was different for everyone. So I said a couple of weeks? And he said no, probably 3-6 months!!!! My first time was lasted about 4 months, and right now I am in my 4th month again and they still feel great! I don't know how the corisone works, and I don't care!

Between the shots, the shoes, the exercises, and the orthotics that I still don't have yet, my feet are great! Please consider this before you give up on teaching. I had been planning my life around my feet...how long can I take the boys shopping, if I can do laundry downstairs, if it was worth getting up to go to the bathroom during the night, everything! I can't even tell you how much better my mental state was after my feet didn't hurt all the time. Do it!

newoldteacher

Mat
Old 03-16-2006, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This doesn't address the walking and standing by desks, but I found a utility mat (comes in puzzle-like pieces) at Sam's. I connected it into a nice "runner" that runs the length of my white board (up front). So, when I'm at the board, or monitoring board work, I walking/standing a a great cushion! It helps!
newoldteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mab

me, too
Old 03-16-2006, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have plantar fascitis, too, and the doctor gave me some exercises to do. My shoes were killing my feet, though, so I went to a shoe store and the manager told me about Born shoes. So I tried them on and they make my feet feel great. They have great arch support, a wide toe box and rubber heels. I do wear an orthotic device in them, too, for added support. My feet don't hurt, but sometimes my toes are numb or tingly at night, sort of like they're asleep. I hate getting old....
mab is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

Petunia
Old 03-16-2006, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

A captain's chair. You can lean againist it or sit on it. They are high so it's like you are standing. Even a cheaper bar stool helps you get off your feet a bit.
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

bamateach

clarks
Old 03-16-2006, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I love my clarks! I used to have pain from my left hip shooting down my leg. Knee as well. Not since I started wearing clarks. They go casual or casual dressy. Love em
bamateach is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Lyni-
Old 03-17-2006, 02:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I reread your post and you say you are in a small town. For the 100s of $$ I invested in shoes over that 2 years before I got my feet "done," I say find a doctor in a larger city somewhere. Does any friend or family live in a larger area that could do some checking around for foot docs for you? Like any other professiion, just becuase someone has a license doesn't mean they are good!

Nat

birks
Old 03-17-2006, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I used to have sore back as well.... never since I wear my birkenstocks! If I don't wear them, the problem comes back... they are not the most fashionable sandals but I don't really care...they are comfortable! if you don't like their sandals, they also sell shoes.

nat
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote

ogteacher

Yes!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Feet, hips, and back. Here's what has helped the most - I have custom made orthotics that I got through my chiropractor. You can also get them from a podiatrist. These not only cushion and support your feet and arches, they keep your feet and legs aligned so you don't get so much hip and back pain as well. These are very different from the Dr. Scholls that you can buy off the shelves, they are made specifically for your feet. I usually wear Easy Spirit. I take out the original foot liners and put in my orthotics.

Okay, out on a limb here - for the Plantar Fasciitis and varicose veins, yoga! Many of the leg and foot stretches help keep your heels stretched so you don't get the fasciitis. There is a very simple exercise for varicose veins: Lie on your back with your... well... tush, up against the wall. Rest your legs straight up against the wall. It is very relaxing, and helps your leg veins, especially after being on your feet all day.
ogteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Lyni

Lyni

My feet
Old 03-17-2006, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Thanks for all the responses. I can't believe I let this go this long. It started in Nov. of 03. I get better every summer, however, I have put on weight because I can't walk anymore. I kept thinking I was too heavy for my feet ha! I'm not!! I will check into the cortisone shots right away. I can't believe this women didn't mention it. I just keep suffering. I hope I don't have anything else wrong like the bone spurs. It feel like my bone want to crack. I will get a handle on this!! I really appreciate all your responses.

teach1st

Sore Feet
Old 03-18-2006, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Hey Lyni,
I too had the sore feet. I literally could not walk in the morning. It was a shuffle until I could get going. After xrays and fittings, I got custom orthotics. They are very stiff, but do the trick. I too had cortizone shots--very helpful. I noticed that Birkenstock shoes are wonderful for me. Some people say they can't wear them. Good luck with your feet. Sore feet are not fun. Lauren
teach1st is offline   Reply With Quote

jude

old wives' cure
Old 03-20-2006, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Someone told me to put a bar of soap at the bottom of your bed under the sheet and that would cure sore feet.

I had a hell spur for about a year and a half. I bought a pair of Naot sandals and that did the trick. (The soap didn't.)
jude is offline   Reply With Quote

Mindfull

No doubt
Old 03-21-2006, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I also have plantar fastitis and it is awful. My doc had me wear this sock at night and it helped a little. What I found most helpful was wearing rubber shoes called Crocks. Not the fake ones at Walmart or anywhere else they are hard rubber but the crocks really cushion and craddle your feet. This has helped me the most. My next step is the shots. Glad to hear someone talk about them. I was very worried about it. I have tried the other name brand shoes and spent way too much on shoes. Crocks are for me.
Mindfull is offline   Reply With Quote
RRay

RRay

shoes
Old 03-22-2006, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I have worn a walking shoe made in Texas for years...I buy 3 pair a year. They are called SAS--San Antonio Shoes.
RRay
PeeWeeStein

PeeWeeStein

SAS for last 10 years
Old 07-19-2008, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I was in a shopping mall with my daughters and my lower back and legs and feet were killing me as usual. I saw a shoe store SAS's and thought I would get some new shoes. I had only tried high heels once as a teenageer and decided to always wear flat shoes. So I found a pair of tie flat dress shoes and when I tried them on they did not pinch my toes or heels and so I put my old shoes in a bag and bought and wore the new shoes out of the store.

I walked around the mall for a little bit and by the time I got to the parking lot to go home I noticed the back, leg, and foot pain was gone. It has been gone ever since. I buy 2 pair each year and that is my supply of shoes for the year. The old ones I use for outside work and the new ones for work.

When my mother was in her 70's she was complaining about foot pain and I took her to SAS in Waco Texas for her birthday and bought her a pair of flat shoes and she felt so good wearing those shoes I use to get her a pair every year for her birthday until she was 80 and passed away. She never complained of neck or back or leg or foot pain since the day I got her the first pair of SAS shoes.

taquitas

Danskos
Old 10-26-2008, 12:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I LOVE danskos! I can only do the backless ones, but there is enough variety that I can still have a bunch.
taquitas is offline   Reply With Quote