Which decision is best?

>

2020Guest

2020Guest

Which decision is best?
Old 05-05-2020, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone!

Iím a first year teacher and I teach special education in the middle school. I go into the classrooms for inclusion services. My first year experience has been challenging to say the least! My district struggles with getting and keeping subs and as a result they rely on inclusion teachers to sub and cover classes which admittedly I donít like to do. Each day I donít know if Iíll be doing inclusion or pulled to cover classes. It happens quite a bit. I also have morning duty for a teacher that is absent quite a bit. Sometimes I am stuck watching those classes for the whole day as well. I Feel bad and I want to be a team player but this really bothers me. I wouldnít mind ever so often but it is weekly sometimes a few times a week. Because of this I am afraid to take a sped position with another district due to the possibility of being pulled to sub. Being new to the education field, I donít know the ins and outs of many districts on how they treat their teachers.

I have been offered a middle school gen ed position at another district but the class size is 25-26 students per class. Coming from a sped background I only have 9 students at the most during my own class.

I need advice on whether to take the gen ed position and have bigger classes and not have to worry about where Iím going to be daily or being pulled to cover classes? I will have to learn a lot more such as being proficient in the subject Iím teaching, classroom management and all the other things gen ed requires. Or do I risk taking a sped position at another district and cross my fingers they donít pull inclusion teachers to sub? I can ask in my interview and hope they tell me the truth.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Haley23

Old 05-06-2020, 02:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have taught both gen ed and sped. I found classroom management to be easier in gen ed as all of the difficult students are together in sped, often with few or no models. Since you were being pulled to sub, I'm guessing your inclusion services looked more like a push-in model where you went in and just helped with whatever was happening rather than a true co-teach model. In this case you can expect to be doing a ton more planning and grading in gen ed. I hate pushing in and have only accepted sped jobs that were pull out only.

As a sped teacher I have never once been asked to sub as our IEP minutes are legally required. However, I do know that some other schools in the district that do more push in models do have their sped teachers sub. They can say the minutes are still being met because the sped teacher is still in the class. A previous admin pulled people like instructional coaches and title 1 teachers constantly to sub, but never me. My current admin doesn't believe in that and never pulls anyone.

If you'd rather stay in sped you can always ask about subbing in the interview. I don't think most people are going to flat out lie to you; you just need to watch out for wishy-washy answers. If the admin says something like, "Well, of course we don't want to use you for subbing, but sometimes we have no other choice," or "only as a last resort," I'd expect to be subbing. The only answer that would put my mind at ease is something like, "No,we would never pull a sped teacher to sub because the IEP minutes need to be met." A couple of years ago I interviewed for an interventionist job and asked about subbing in the interview. The P said something like,"That's absolutely not what I want this position to be used for, but last year we were often short 2 subs per day so there was often no other choice." Big red flag there and I knew as soon as she said it that I didn't want the position.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote
2020Guest

2020Guest

Thank you
Old 05-06-2020, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for your helpful and detailed response.