Help

School Mental Health

Mental Health "Essentials"

>

breezey

Mental Health "Essentials"
Old 05-09-2020, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all! Just wondering what your school considers as essentials when it comes to mental health? I am looking for information primarily relating to the students, but if you have some for staff and families, please share those as well! Thank you!

breezey is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 05-09-2020, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm curious what you mean by essentials? Services that are required to be offered?
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

breezey

Old 05-10-2020, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Working in a school, what are the absolute musts, to teach the students? For example ~ weekly class meetings, a concern/celebration jar, systems in place that build consistency, sense of security, teacher led recess activities to practice problem solving, team building etc...
breezey is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 05-11-2020, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hmm, that's a good question! I'm hoping others stop by (we've been really slow here, as you can probably see ) with some good ideas.

Some things that come to my mind from my previous schools (where I worked in mental health) include more administrative/student support level things like lunch groups to foster friendships and coping skills (e.g., problem-solving for friendships, manage anger or frustration, cope with divorce or similar circumstances, etc) and an open-door policy for a counselor or knowledgable office staff where students can go if needed. Of course, PBIS is supposed to be a good strategy as well, but I find it really varies in its implementation.

For classroom level things, the Positive Peer Reporting intervention is a good one https://www.interventioncentral.org/...ive-behaviors-. One of my colleagues had a weekly problem-solving team meeting (whole class) where they worked out issues together. Sometimes it backfired a bit and created more drama, and sometimes it was great. That really relies on a skilled leader. At that school, we also had tickets we would give for good behavior and students would be randomly drawn. Very PBIS-like, but not a PBIS school.

That didn't really answer your question- in my previous schools, how necessary any of this was really depended on the administration and the individual teachers. We didn't have a school-wide system that was consistent by any stretch of the imagination. The school I most recently taught within also had a whole school morning meeting time and afternoon ending time (years later moved to just Monday morning and Friday afternoon because of how long it took). Our principal also did a lot of team-building activities with the staff. It was a pretty small school, but was a wide age range (K-12).

Interested in what others might have to say!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

I think Dr. G is on the right track.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Build your relationships-be it students, parents or staff- and some of that becomes automatic. I also think "Essentials" vary by person. Mental health is a diverse area and, since it involves humans, cannot really be narrowed down generically.

Quote:
For example ~ weekly class meetings, a concern/celebration jar, systems in place that build consistency, sense of security, teacher led recess activities to practice problem solving, team building etc...
To me, your examples are more good practices in classroom procedures--morale building is definitely part of that.

I too will be interested in what others add.

GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote