Help

The VENT

I don't think I can do this next year.

>

BettyAnna

I don't think I can do this next year.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I see news reports saying that distance learning will probably continue into the fall and that seems the way it is going. The news reports of the way the virus seems to be presenting itself in children is sobering.I can't imaging doing this in the fall. We are two months in and I am tired of chasing students to get them to come to class and to hand in assignments. I contact parents who don't pick up the phone or respond to email. I get that everyone is stressed, I am trying to help your child. So far only one parent has reached out to talk to us about her child. Everyone else is either complaining with other parents or given up. I know this is hard on everyone. I can't imaging doing this again in the fall.

If we do end up going back to school I have no way to socially distance in my classroom in a way that makes sense. Even if half my students were to come in each day, I can't place them 6 feet apart. I can't imagine them keeping their masks on all day. I have immune system issues. I think that if this continues into the fall, I may have to leave teaching.

Right now I am tired and stressed by the demands of the job.

BettyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-14-2020, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

DH and I are both close to retirement. We were planning on teaching another 4-5 years to get maximum benefits, but now we are thinking about going sooner.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Old 05-14-2020, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I will do it if I have to, but I think it is the wrong policy. Kids need to be in school for their social, physical, and mental well-being, or be home-schooled by competent parents. I have seen no honest case for keeping the kids out of school. Statistically, any healthy person under 40 isnít at risk. We also need herd immunity. How are we going to get it if everyone stays home?

I donít think anyone should be forced to go back to school, either staff or students. But the schools should be open and running. We all have to make our own risk assessments.

I feel like these past two months Iíve been pretending to teach and the kids have been pretending to learn. And I have good kids and we know each other. Itís not going to get better with me trying to teach through a screen to a new crop of students.
Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 05-14-2020, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm thinking that if next year is distance learning, the expectations will be different. For example, students will be graded or evaluated in a meaningful way. They will need to demonstrate mastery. I don't believe that nonparticipants will be receiving credit, at least not without proving they have learned the material.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 05-14-2020, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I have seen no honest case for keeping the kids out of school. Statistically, any healthy person under 40 isnít at risk.
Welp, guess I'm expendable. I'm over 40. Come to think of it, at least half our staff is over 40 or has some "underlying" health condition. This year alone we had 5 teachers who had babies. Pregnancy is an underlying condition, so I guess they couldn't teach either.

I don't know what the solution is for the fall. I believe we'll do some mix of in-person/distance learning. But I wish people would stop saying this virus only affects the old or weak, so therefore we should risk it. Statistics stop being statistics when it's someone you know.

Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-14-2020, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well said, Izzy.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 05-14-2020, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Statistically, any healthy person under 40 isnít at risk. We also need herd immunity. How are we going to get it if everyone stays home?

This doctor thought he was low risk, too, but even younger, healthy people get it. Even with all the appropriate precautions he took, he ended up getting the virus.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-eyes-n1206956

While the herd immunity statistics work for most illnesses, this virus is different and more debilitating that those that have come before.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 05-14-2020, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I know of healthy people who contracted it, some in their 2Os. I know 2 men in their early 40s who died of it
No underlying health conditions. Both left behind young children.
My brother's friend's father, in his 70s, got it badly, yet thankfully recovered.
We really don't know the hows and whys of this.
Starr is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 05-14-2020, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If they don't make it mandatory that students participate and do the work, I'll be majorly ticked! For the past 8 weeks, we have not been allowed to tell students they MUST complete the work. We can only encourage them to do so.

I have a feeling remote learning will be taking place in the fall. I'm not looking forward to it.

Building relationships in the primary grades is SO important. Even if we just started out the year for 2 weeks IN school, then move to remote learning, I'd settle for that. I just can't imagine trying to get to know and teach students whom I don't even know!

I'm older than 40 but am willing teach in the classroom and accept said risks. I may be in the minority there. I will also be willing to deal with any social distancing that needs to take place. Will it be a perfect system? Of course not. But, I'm willing to give it a try.

There are some small schools in MT who went back to in class learning this week. I'm trying to find news article on how it went, but haven't found any, yet.

I've made the best of the past 8 weeks. We've had some good times. Overall, it was a success, but nowhere near what could have taken place in the classroom.
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 05-14-2020, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Healthy people contract and die of the flu, too, but we donít shut down schools. There is risk with anything we do, but the needs of children must come first in schools. Children need to be in school.

Englishish is online now   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 05-14-2020, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

English: with all due respect, the flu has been around and there’s a vaccine. COVID is a big pile
Of unknown and no, risking kids and teachers lives is not worth kids “being in school”. Have you not seen how it’s potentially affecting kids? Sure there’s a ton of what ifs but I would rather we err on being too cautious than “let’s just see what happens because kids need to be in school”. As someone with family in the medical field who is seeing what’s happening firsthand, the way a lot of people are viewing teachers as expendable is heartbreaking. Seeing thousands of people saying kids need to be in school, without looking at what’s happening - is beyond me. We don’t know everything about covid so risking things for the sake of short term comfort is not vibing with me.

The big problem is those who are taking this lightly for selfish reasons. I’m so thankful to be in California with a governor who is taking this seriously.

Last edited by googaleeebear; 05-14-2020 at 06:51 PM..
googaleeebear is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 05-14-2020, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Just read a first hand account of a 20 something woman otherwise healthy, in the New York Times about her experience. It's been 2 months since she got covid, and she isn't back to normal, doesn't know about long term effects, etc. She still isn't breathing normally. Her message was, this is not the flu, it is way scarier and riskier.

Fractured

Old 05-14-2020, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am so damn sick of science deniers. Read any scientific article about herd immunity. It’s not a reality. We would need to have about 15 times the amount of infected people right now to even achieve close to herd immunity status. That would be 15 to 18 million cases, and at least a million people dead, probably many more because our hospitals couldn’t handle it.

A 12 year old died in IL today because of the virus. Children are dying, people in their 20s and 30s are having strokes related to the virus. It’s destroying internal organs and it infects T cells like HIV. I could say a lot more but I don’t want to get banned. Start reading more about this virus.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 05-14-2020, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Well said, Fractured.
That article, btw, is an op-ed piece by Mara Gay. In today's paper. A very sobering read.

googaleeebear

Fractured
Old 05-14-2020, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

100% agree. Until they know someone who has gone through it, itís just a big over reaction and should get back to business as usual. science doesnít lie.

elspeech

Old 05-14-2020, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I know if it's my child, my 1st priority is their health and safety.

It may take a while, but they can learn what they've missed from being out of school. On the other hand, they can't recover from being dead. Nor would I want to risk them having long term health issues from getting the virus, when I could have easily protected them from it.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 05-14-2020, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thank you. I am starting to get upset by the comments that anyone under 40 is not at risk and that old people should just stay home. Some old people canít afford to stay home if required to work. What are they supposed to do, especially if they have underlying conditions?

Yes, children have been affected by this and some have died. There have been 140 cases of this in two states alone. My metro area has had several high school students die of the virus in the past couple of months. Just because not as many are affected doesnít mean that none are.

I understand opening stores and allowing people to make their own decisions about whether to go in and get that massage or haircut. However, what about the older people and people with underlying conditions forced to go back because since their business opened, they can no longer get unemployment? I guess they donít matter. I hope someone is helping those people.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 05-14-2020, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Itís potentially affecting kids in minuscule numbers. Itís affecting the under 40 crowd in minuscule numbers, although those who have had it say itís no fun. Iím not suggesting that no one might potentially be sickened with this, even seriously sickened. But life comes with a set of risks, whether itís this, fu, a car crash on the way to work, a school shooter, and the list goes on. Continuing to hide in our houses is not a strategy. No one is saying teachers are expendable, but the fact of the matter is that we as individuals are all expendable in the grand scheme of things. Society has to continue to function, so if individuals donít feel comfortable with a level of risk, they are free to make that choice without expecting everyone else to abide by it.

Englishish

Old 05-14-2020, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Fractured, what do you propose we do if a vaccine or treatment never comes? You wonít tolerate the damage that herd immunity may inflict, so that leaves indefinite lockdown. That is not a solution. We donít have to open everything immediately, but we canít continue to decimate the economy forever. The lives that will be lost to that matter, too.

Fractured

Old 05-14-2020, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Am I supposed to tolerate millions of deaths? That is an odd choice of words, and people shouldnít have to die to get the economy going again.

I think there will be a vaccine, but I think it will be like the flu vaccine. It will help, but it wonít be foolproof. All scientific models show that we are in the long haul for the next two years. You have a way of looking at the world that I donít agree with. We arenít expendable.

jazzer

Old 05-14-2020, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

The other problem to consider is if someone does get sick, there could be a bunch of lawsuits that could completely devastate most school districts.

Obviously we can’t stay home forever, however, we need to listen to CDC recommendations on when it is safe enough. Of course this can very well be before there is a vaccine. Many seem to be opening things when they have not even met the guidelines set by the White House or their own states.

Minnie716

Old 05-14-2020, 10:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I agree with Engishish. I don't think the states should open everything right away, but we need to slowly get back to "normal" (I know it will be a new normal). I teach kindergarten, and no matter how well online learning is done, it will never replace the experiences they will get in the classroom. They need to be with their peers and experience hands on learning. They need to learn to play games with each other and sit on the rug and listen to stories from their teacher and play tag on the playground. Sitting in front of a screen is never going to be a good option. They do that anyway with their iPads and tablets and their parents' phone. And I have parents that won't support their kids no matter what we do.

Plus, what if they do create this vaccine? That's great! But, it will never eradicate this virus. I know people who don't get the flu vaccine so you know there will be people who won't get the Covid19 vaccine. It will still be around. People will still get this virus and potentially spread it to others. I'm just wondering, when will enough be enough? When will they say, "Ok, we're comfortable with going to the movies and a restaurant." What if covid20 comes around? Are we going to go through this all over again?

Also, no matter how much we try to social distance students if they do go back, they are STILL KIDS. They are always up in each other's space. Especially little kids. There is no way we'll be able to get a handle on that.
Minnie716 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 05-15-2020, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Quote:
I am so damn sick of science deniers. Read any scientific article about herd immunity. Itís not a reality. We would need to have about 15 times the amount of infected people right now to even achieve close to herd immunity status. That would be 15 to 18 million cases, and at least a million people dead, probably many more because our hospitals couldnít handle it.

This virus is AWFUL! Staying away from others until a vaccine is not practical, if we did that then it could be years. The first vaccine could be worse than the virus. Sweden lost many lives, however they did not shut down at all, everything was normal. Sweden is now reporting that herd immunity is taking over and the new cases are very little!
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 05-15-2020, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Quote:
Sweden lost many lives, however they did not shut down at all, everything was normal. Sweden is now reporting that herd immunity is taking over and the new cases are very little!
How can we compare ourselves to Sweden? They have universal health care, paid sick leave, and very low income inequality. Because of that, they had a huge percentage of their population that could afford to stay home. If someone did get sick, they were able to take time off and still get paid. If the illness got worse, they were not afraid to seek care because it would not bankrupt them.

We are definitely not that country.

It's also worth noting that despite its "normalcy" Sweden's number of deaths this year were 27% higher than last year, which was infinitely worse than its neighbors. Norway had a 0% increase in deaths and it shut everything down. Denmark's increase was only 5%.

No, we can't stay home forever. But we can take a measured approach to reopening. And we can stop with the rhetoric about how some people are expendable. (As long as it's not you or your family.)

Englishish

Old 05-15-2020, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I am expendable. My family members are expendable. You are expendable. I donít get whatís so hard about looking at the big picture, here. Society, even mankind is bigger than the individual. I knew I would take a lot of flak for my post, it it seems to me that the most altruistic among us are the ones who put the survival of the group ahead of the survival of the individual. That certainly isnít the narrative, however.

Fractured

Old 05-15-2020, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Sweden hasn’t reached herd immunity at all. I’m not going to even argue with you, as you post Dr Shiva videos.

I’m recognizing some of people here as ones who put their politics to the hard right. I’m not going to waste my time arguing with people who think this way. If you think being altruistic is ignoring medical advice and getting others sick, then you are just ignorant. Wear a mask and social distance. Try to read more as well.

Englishish

Old 05-15-2020, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I see straw men are alive and well, and letís not engage with people who we perceive as having different politics than we do.

googaleeebear

Old 05-15-2020, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Well said, Fractured. "Iím recognizing some of people here as ones who put their politics to the hard right. Iím not going to waste my time arguing with people who think this way. If you think being altruistic is ignoring medical advice and getting others sick, then you are just ignorant. Wear a mask and social distance. Try to read more as well."

I agree 100%. I can't with the "we can't live like this forever"..oh my god. It's been 2.5 months - get a grip. This is a disease unlike any other and comparing it to the flu is not the same. You can't. We don't know the details of how it affects everyone. New conditions are coming forth as the days pass and it's important this is considered. Opening schools so kids can play and be social is worth it to you? (and by "you" - I mean those who are begging schools to open). Having children bring home germs is good with you? This is NOT a normal illness. And until more research is done, I will continue to err on being safe. And following what the science and data report.

Fractured

Old 05-15-2020, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

You call your governor the state dictator. You sound like an Ayn Rand novel. So no, I’m not going to waste my time on you. What’s the point? I’m also not going to waste my time with anti vaxxers like Tsy. If anyone is using straw man arguments, it’s you.

Izzy23

Old 05-15-2020, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Quote:
I am expendable. My family members are expendable. You are expendable.

Really, come back and say that when one of them gets sick and dies. How you can be so cavalier is beyond me. I can only think you have not been touched by this disease yet.

Yet.

Good luck to you and your expendable family.

Englishish

Old 05-15-2020, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

There are 7+ billion people on this planet. Nature doesnít care about the individual; it cares about the survival of the species and so do I. I can think beyond myself and my family, but I guess expecting others to do the same is too much to ask.

Our state dictator is acting like... a dictator. Iím not sure how understanding that puts me in line with Ayn Rand, especially given that Ayn Rand espoused rational egoism, a position Iím clearly opposing given that I believe we need to think about society as a whole instead of members as individuals.

As to the argument that itís been 2.5 months, itís been 2.5 months so far. Some here seem to believe that any sacrifice is worth the risk as long as lives are saved, but it seems the only lives they believe are worth saving are those susceptible to this virus.

Fractured

Old 05-15-2020, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

You sound like Ayn rand in that you think going out and performing our jobs is some kind of noble thing. You sound like you think capitalism is more important than the lives of individuals. You are calling your governor a dictator for enforcing health measures that were designed to keep you safe. You think your individual freedoms are being infringed upon, when they are not. Do I need to go on? Like I said, a waste of time.

All lives are susceptible to the virus by the way.

Englishish

Old 05-15-2020, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Where have I said anything about my individual freedoms? Going to work and being productive is a noble things, but thatís beside the point. Going to work is a necessary thing. Without a functional economy, people canít sustain life. Why donít you care about the people who will lose their lives when they canít find work for years and canít support their families? Why is your individual right to feel ďsafeĒ so much more important than the greater populationís right to survive?

Fractured

Old 05-15-2020, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Why else are you calling your governor a dictator? Iíve said I care about everyone. Youíre the one making this an us vs them thing for some weird reason. The government can step in and help people right now. They want us to go to work so we can die for billionaires and corporations. Why did airlines get billions and we got 1200 bucks? This should show you how the government values you and is trying to get you to buy into this argument you are peddling.

Hawkeyegirl1

Starr...
Old 05-15-2020, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Starr...that was an excellent article by Mara Gay. Thank you for mentioning it.
Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 05-15-2020, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

My governor is a dictator because he’s gone beyond the bounds of our state constitution. Whatever his intentions are, that’s wrong. If the legislature gives him additional powers, so be it, but he’s overstepped his authority until that point. In addition, he’s stubbornly refused to work with local officials, even the ones who have been collaborating with their own departments of public health.

I’m not making this an us vs. them; that’s you and your red herring corporation line of thought. I’m making this an individual vs. society argument, and I’m favoring society. How very Randian of me.

Hawkeyegirl1

Old 05-15-2020, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Ayn Rand....not a fan.

jazzer

Old 05-15-2020, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Why is your individual right to feel ďsafeĒ so much more important than the greater populationís right to survive?

Because wen have no economy if everyone becomes sick or dies.

Englishish

Old 05-15-2020, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

But thatís kind of the point: everyone isnít going to become sick and die. The vast majority of people are going to survive and keep going.

jazzer

Old 05-15-2020, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Not if we ignore the recommendations of scientists and open the flood gates too early. Dr. Fauci, who is a medical professional and scientist, said that if we open too early, the virus will spread so rapidly I that nothing will be able to contain it and millions may get sick and die. Do we really want to take that risk?

It also has been stated that opening to early could actually be more detrimental to the economy.

Englishish

Old 05-15-2020, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

Opening the floodgates and getting back to a reasonable level of normal are two different things. My state dictator isnít interested in being reasonable. I appreciate that some of you live in states where you get to make your own choices, but that isnít the case everywhere. Here, the logic has become that any sacrifice is reasonable as long as we have the illusion of safety. Millions suffer? So what. Hundreds are more important, or so it seems around here.

mom23kids

Old 05-15-2020, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Quote:
Statistics stop being statistics when it's someone you know.
That's what I keep saying!!
mom23kids is online now   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

There's just no way
Old 05-15-2020, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I teach Kindergarten. There is no way we can start the school year distance learning. I'd vote for just holding your kid back a year instead of doing distance learning. Zoom calls would be a hot mess, they have very little soft skills that you can work on from a distance, and half of kindergarten is just socialization and learning how to do school.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-15-2020, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

You are using such cliches and deflecting in your arguments ish. Your libertarian vibes and capitalist dogma make you seem like Rand. Perhaps you need to read more about her before you dismiss all comparisons to her.

Let’s recap- you think millions of people getting sick and at least a million dying are acceptable numbers. You think this is for the greater good and you feel like you would be some kind of martyr for braving the outside world and defying health recommendations. Someone is a dictator for trying to slow down the spread of a disease.
Why should anyone be listening to your arguments?

Last edited by Fractured; 05-15-2020 at 01:00 PM..

Starr

Old 05-15-2020, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

Agree with the Ayn Rand analogy.
BTW, first time I heard of her was in, I guess, 1992. My mom had clipped a profile of the up and coming governor who was gonna be the Democratic nominee for president. One item included was his favorite book--The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand....
.....It was a profile of Bill Clinton, obviously. Make of that what you will!

(However, I didn't read any of her stuff till years later, when I was in college. So it didn't mean anything to me at the time, but somehow it is a tidbit of information that I have always remembered.)

Englishish

Old 05-15-2020, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

Or perhaps you need to consider that disagreement with you doesnít make me something Iím not. Iím not calling myself a martyr for being willing to look past my own selfish interests for the good of society, but you sure seem to think you hold the moral high ground for some reason. Iím glad you think our governor ignoring the laws in our state is acceptable because he agrees with you, but I have a feeling youíd be singing a different tune if he agreed with me.

Fractured

Old 05-15-2020, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I don’t even know what state you’re in. I assume WI? Yes, if governors are opening up too early I would be critical of them.

We clearly have different ideas of what the greater good is. Forcing people to go back to work isn’t fair. Nail salons and boutique businesses aren’t essential. People need to wear masks and social distance, and they aren’t doing that in many places. Did you see the video of the bars in WI that opened up? If people can respect each other and maintain proper cdc guidelines, then I think that’s fine. Most business can’t though, so I don’t see any point in them opening. I’m not on a moral high ground, I’m just into common sense. We don’t agree and you think it’s okay for millions to die, so I’m going to stop because this is pointless.

Last edited by Fractured; 05-15-2020 at 01:50 PM..
IN2OK

IN2OK

My Mantra
Old 05-15-2020, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

People die when the money runs out is my mantra!

As an individual who has worked in a Title 1 school, I am concerned about the fact that the latest Federal Reserve survey showed, the pandemic and ensuing economic lockdown have hit low-income households the hardest. The stress of not getting paid, the lack of money for gas to get a hospital (health care comes into play, ONLY if you have money to get to a doctor), the lack of healthy eating, and much more makes it more likely that we see thousands of deaths due to economic calamity. I do not know anyone who have died from COVID-19, but I do know several people dead due to living low-income and middle-income lives.

Eccj

Old 05-15-2020, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

It is obvious to me that many of my students are very depressed. Distance learning is in no way better than being with their classmates. We may not have an effective vaccine for two or more years. Children will probably be one of the last to get it be they are at a much lower risks than adults. We need to open schools in fall.
Eccj is online now   Reply With Quote
Guest1212

Guest1212

Old 05-15-2020, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

Open up schools because we have to and kids are depressed? Okay, never mind the global pandemic and how covid is potentially affecting the kids. Or families. Seriously people will be singing a different tune when itís someone they know whoís been affected by it. Until then, letís just be upset that we are in an uncomfortable situation for awhile. Society should be run on data and facts and science. Not peopleís opinions (I.e the ridiculous protests happening). So really who cares, right? Until itís a family member. So letís just open schools and proceed as normal, and letís just see who survives and who doesnít? People in this forum have been harping on how this could last two years or more and we canít sit around that long. NO ONE is asking you to do that. This is a NEW disease so 6-9 months to letís scientists and doctors learn more about this, is not asking for a lot. Especially when this will help the greater good. What good is society if these outbreaks keep happening because oh my gosh, I canít live this way. Seriously people. Think outside your world of non-affected people. This is real. This is serious. Time to start thinking that way and not ďoh I donít care, it wonít affect me and if it does Iíll be fineĒ.

SoDone

Old 05-16-2020, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

I hate distance learning - it's a joke for most 6th graders and I also found it hard to care when I had home renovations I was enjoying working on. I had the same response as my kids: it's not a grade so why waste time. BUT - I have an 8 year old, whom I in NO WAY want back in a classroom this fall with other snot nosed little kids. Sadly, I only have her every other week and her step-mom is a teacher as well so I won't have much of a choice if we return.

Relaxation of rules, at least in my city, means everyone and his brother are out. Some have had on masks but most not. I honestly almost had words with an older couple yesterday in an aisle - they kept inching closer to me, I'd move a bit, they'd continue moving as they had a conversation...no freaking clue I was even there. Not many that I've seen around here are still taking the precautions.

I realize that I'm expendable in the larger picture of life but I'm not expendable to my daughter and she's not expendable to me. Everyone out there, even the bloody stupid people in that aisle, has someone who thinks of them in that same way. That idea makes me wear the mask I hate anyway and makes me hope we carry this pointless distance learning on into the fall.
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

ohwell

BettyAnna's Original Post
Old 05-16-2020, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

I'm responding to the original post. I agree with you, this is truly very hard. I was zooming with a kindergartener yesterday who we suspect has attention problems. His energy level was off the charts! The parents (jobless now, trying to survive) just wanted me to take the kid for a bit.... they left him on the computer and he continued to fall off the chair, show me his cut, etc. etc... Very, very jumpy. During the school year he could see how the others were behaving (more focused) and he tried to emulate that behavior. This child is not a "wear your mask in school" candidate!!

I don't know the answer to this. There are a number of inattentive parents, who are probably trying their best under these cirsumstances, but their children's education is suffering.

We are wrestling with questions of greater good vs. individual rights vs. community health considerations. Someone here mentioned that it's been 2.5 months, on the other hand, it's effecting poor communities most. My mom was a young person during the decade of the Great Depression, and had a huge impact on her. I'm not sure how helpful that perspective is with regard to the conversation here, but I remain hopeful that treatments and a vacine will be found.

No anwers, but BettyAnna, I hear you.
ohwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 05-16-2020, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

You donít know weíre looking at 6-9 months anymore than we do. We may well be looking at months, or we maybe looking at years if some of you get your way. What if a vaccine or treatment never comes? This is not sustainable, even for 6-9 months. People are losing everything theyíve worked for, and itís only been two months. Many vs. few.

Eccj

Thank you Englishish
Old 05-16-2020, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

You are right. Let the people make their own choices. If parents donít want to send their children to school they donít have to. There are plenty of online schools to choose from.
Eccj is online now   Reply With Quote
Teaching1212

Teaching1212

Old 05-16-2020, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

Itís not just about parents having a choice. Teachers need to be protected and safe too: thereís way more going on than just ďschools need to openĒ. Way more science and data to take into consideration. Really confuses me how so many people donít care about their health or their familyís health. This is an unprecedented time. Make moves too fast and not with enough research, it can be detrimental. Iím all for virtual learning for the Fall and come back spring. All the Cal States have already decided to do that in CA and yeah I know they are a college system. But itís not a bad idea.

CA has a strong teachers union so letís see what happens.

Summerwillcom

It has been refreshing/ interesting to read
Old 05-16-2020, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

your thoughts. I am unsure of the Englishism's place or governor.
I know people are saying things like they are under lockdown, but not really sure what they mean. Will the police pull you over if you are on the road? Do you have to stay on your property?
What does lock down look like there? I live really far away. For a time, they closed gyms, eat in restaurants, and hair salons here too. It was hard on small businesses, but I think it was a smart move. I think they wanted to be more clear on what they were dealing with at first. Now it is personal choice to go some place or not.
You could still go to see friends and family when you wanted. My family is close and we have an elderly member who we did not want to expose so we shopped for him and stayed social with a small group who were also very careful. Our herd mentality was to gather around the elderly member in a safe way.
Grocery stores and gas stations were still open. Also, I know other businesses that stayed open. ( small businesses....) New businesses sprung up too b/c of shortages here. People got creative.
You could come or go within the state if you felt like it. If you came to the state though, you did have to go into 14 days of quarantine.
It is still that way.
Schools tend to be germy places. I am glad they shut them down to be safe. I do not enjoy online teaching either, but it is much better than kids and teachers being exposed.
Most of the teachers at our school are older.
At 1st, they seemed to think only older people died from it, but now it has shown to get people from all groups including children.
There are groups of people here who believe it is all a hoax. That is why it was refreshing to see this group acknowledging the seriousness of it.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 05-16-2020, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

Teachers need to be protected and safe, but school is ultimately about students. Distance ďlearningĒ may work for some, but it doesnít work for many. Those students should not be forced into online programs for the comfort of their teachers. That old saying ďif itís right for kids, itís rightĒ hold true.
TeacherTalks1

TeacherTalks1

Summerwillcom
Old 05-16-2020, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

I agree with you. It has been REFRESHING to see people stand up to speak out their beliefs. I erred on safety..the week of 3/9 (we closed 3/13), I walked in to school that Monday and separated all desks. I made kids double dose on hands (and I am the teacher known to be super OCD about cleaning). I am NOT excited about blended learning in the Fall with the classrooms being a petri dish. For the safety odff all staff and kids, I hope our state super makes a decision to start off virtually. Yeah it'll suck big time, I am not loving distance learning, but I am all for doing what will keep US AND KIDS safe. Not trying to risk my life because "kids need to be in school". Give doctors and scientists some time to know more about this disease. It's utterly ridiculous what I'm seeing on these boards in support of reopening schools. Do lives not matter? What someone said above about being expendable - it's so true. We are NOT expendable. People in retail or restaurants or whatever, yeah they are working but we will be with kids who are germy, period. That thought does NOT excite me nor does it excite most coworkers I've talked to. How can people literally sit here and defend going back to school, or compare COVID to the flu? It's comparing apples and oranges. I do not understand.

Summerwillcom

I do not think online school is ideal...
Old 05-16-2020, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

Kids need to be protected too though.
I actually think districts should be offering "buy outs" of contracts for teachers who have worked for years and do not feel comfy going back due to risk factors.
They'd save a bunch of $$ by hiring newer teachers. The younger teachers might feel more comfortable being exposed, or they wouldn't need to apply, or might not be worried about it.
When I was younger, I caught a few really bad bugs. 1 lasted 4-6 weeks at least. Then I caught some other awful crud that I bounced back from too.
At my age now, I don't bounce back as easily as I used to and the bad bug I had back then might do me in now.
Also, some parents are concerned about their kids going back. We need an online option for them. I do not know what the answer is, but I'd err on the side of caution if my own kids were young.
I have been shocked by the parents who want their kids in school despite the fact they don't work. Some of their kids are driving them crazy!
Can you tell me what "lock down " is where you are at? I am seriously curious.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Hawkeyegirl1

For the "comfort" of their teachers Englishis
Old 05-16-2020, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

More like safety....for students, teachers, staff, community.

Englishish

Old 05-16-2020, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

Students come first, and they are in the lowest risk category, with serious complications in the fractions of one percent. Children with health complications will need to take different precautions, obviously. The impact of schools on transmission is still very much in question, but schools were shut down nonetheless.

Englishish

Old 05-16-2020, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

Districts arenít going to have the money to buy out contracts, and with record unemployment, buying out contracts would be politically untenable. There will be a need for some online education for students who canít be in the classroom, but districts will quickly find that they donít need the same number of teachers as they would need to maintain physical ratios or class sizes.

Lockdown in my state looks like small retailers being only able to offer curbside, but liquor stores being considered essential. The big box stores can, of course, function as normal. We canít have a socially distant graduation for our class of 10, but firemen in Chicago can have an in-person graduation. Barbers and stylists are being threatened with losing their licenses if they cut hair at home, but the mayor of Chicago can get her hair cut because she did it ďsafely.Ē A family of four can drive in their car to go to the lake, but only two of them can be on a boat. Our state dictator is discouraging people from traveling to open states, but his wife and children have spent their lockdown time in Florida and Wisconsin.

Iím all for following ďthe science,Ē but not when ďthe scienceĒ is used to justify a politically expedient narrative.

Tiamat

Old 05-16-2020, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

I know I couldn't do this again. I have hated everything about the online learning. If it became "part of the deal", I don't know what I'd do, but I know I can't teach from behind a computer screen. Maybe I'm just old.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 05-16-2020, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

I guess one thing informing my perspective, is that I personally know 2 people who died of covid. One was 42, one was 44. Both left young children behind. And, I know several people who have lost family members.

But aside from that...they keep making new discoveries, and it seems as though children may be more at risk than they thought. It seems also that there may be long term health effects from those who recovered.

It's not like anyone here is saying to shut down schools for 2 years. More like, wait and see. Reopen cautiously. It can begin later in the fall. Do half days. Spread kids out in classrooms. Think about crowded buses. Etc.