Is everyone prepared for school to be cancelled next year? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Is everyone prepared for school to be cancelled next year?

>

Bobbies

Is everyone prepared for school to be cancelled next year?
Old 05-15-2020, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am already hearing whisperings and grumblings from people who are saying that there is simply not enough time between now and the next 3 months to do everything possible to prevent the spread of the Corona virus. I have also read that some school districts have decided to forgo at least the beginning of next year. I do not know how accurate these are, but it is perfectly plausible considering that rates in my state have gone through the roof since they started reopening some of the counties. Amarillo now has over 500 cases, mostly due to cattle, whereas before when things were closed, things were much much lower just last week. Is everybody prepared to file for unemployment once again in August? It is better to be proactive and think about these things in advance.

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-15-2020, 11:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Most people I know in teaching are being told to prepare for virtual learning, or a hybrid of blended classes. Unless the federal government gives schools aid (someone posted an article here that PA estimates it will lose a billion in school budget due to loss of tax revenue), then there is no way they will be able to open. I think some states will try to open, but will ultimately have to close as soon as someone gets sick. At a certain point, it won’t be worth it for schools to stay open. Teachers might strike if they don’t have Ppe. Just guessing, I’m thinking we are virtual for at least first semester, if not all year. Schools might also be sued for failing to adhere to cdc guidelines if people get sick. They could get sued by the city, teachers or students. Just don’t see it happening in a way to keep people safe.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 05-16-2020, 01:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here, our school district site says that their intent is to open mid august and that all models that are being considered for attendance point to a hybrid combination of distance learning from home and one or two days per week of physical in class schooling. Most learning will still be done at home. But it also states that schools needs to meet certain safety precaution conditions before schools can open: adequate testing, tracing, quarantine protocols, PPE, and social distancing. It also states that as of right now, there does not seem to be a firm timetable when these conditions will be made available for schools. It is asking members of the community to ask all city and county officials to coordinate with schools to help meet these conditions prior to opening schools.
Unfortunately, no--I do not think we are returning in the fall for physical in class schooling. Our health is important. My teacher friend from a neighboring county is being told to prepare lesson plans for virtual online during the fall semester- their county's covid-19 numbers keep climbing up. Sadly, the numbers in my county continue to go up as well. I hope unemployment benefits continue to be made available to us while we continue to ride this wave come fall semester. Personally, I am saving as much as I can right now. I have to prepare for the possibility of not subbing this fall semester.
On a side note, parents have much to say on our district's facebook page- some want schools to open-conditions met or not, while the other half support their students' not returning if it won't be safe for them to do so come fall.
Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

I have already signed the letter of assurance
Old 05-16-2020, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For those of us who have signed the letter of assirance, The one I received didn't mention anything about a pandemic or an act of God at all or a virus or bacterial infections on whatever, we will once again be able to collect on unemployment benefits then. Can we collect on unemployment throughout the summer, even when school is over? Technically, I will still being unemployed. This is a Gray area, because our governor signed into law something about living with persons of age 65 or older or those with an auto immune system problem, of which I do that we would Skill be able to receive unemployment for June and July and until we get our job again. However, I have not been able to get in touch with anybody naturally.

Sirsubalot

Old 05-16-2020, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The additional $8000 or more due to government stimulus means that I will be in the same shape financially as as I would have been almost three months into the school year.
This assumes I will get a $1200 check by then.

The next round of unemployment will not include the government stimulus, and might require us to look for work, which I will need to do anyway.

I think we are done at least through the end of 2020.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-16-2020, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our state education department released their outline of items that have to be considered before schools can open. It's overwhelming.

It's hard to know what to expect from day to day, so there is really no way to know for sure. The things that seem overwhelming today might be non-issues next week, and new things could pop up any time.

At this point, everyone is dealing with "what if" situations. Unless it comes from the official outlet, I wouldn't even give it a second thought. Even those official outlets are iffy at this point.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 05-16-2020, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I do not know how accurate these are, but it is perfectly plausible considering that rates in my state have gone through the roof since they started reopening some of the counties. Amarillo now has over 500 cases, mostly due to cattle, whereas before when things were closed, things were much much lower just last week.
Here in California, the governor (under pressure) is just starting to open things up county by county. I'm betting that we'll also start to see cases and deaths on the rise again, as many people are seeing the reopening as a green light to abandon all precautions. Unfortunately, rather than being viewed as a public health crisis, a common cause that should unite us, it's become a contentious political issue, reds vs blues. (It doesn't help that POTUS applauds protesters and refuses to wear a mask himself! )

I live in a conservative district, and I'm really discouraged to see so many people now out at stores and businesses, barely trying, if at all, to social distance, and most not wearing masks. They seem to be almost cocky about it. I went to a credit union a couple of days ago. It was a very small office with people at close quarters. Several people were waiting in line, but I was the ONLY one wearing a mask! Even the bank tellers had no masks! Yikes! I couldn't get out fast enough!

Regarding the schools, I just got an email from my sub coordinator asking those interested in long-term subbing to apply by May 22. That's all I've heard so far. But from all I gather, the plan is to begin opening up the schools come fall semester. Of course, if the numbers start to rise again, due to people's stupidity and lack of caution, things will return to lock down.

No one knows what's next.

As for UI, the word is that the fed. govmt. is granting UI extensions. If so, and you're in California, you don't have to reapply. In CA, EDD will notify you of the extension. All you do is continue to certify every two weeks, as usual.

I don't know about you, but I'm really tired of all the uncertainty. Even though UI covers the finances, it's hard not being able to be at school subbing and contributing. It's even harder not knowing when things will return to normal, if ever.

I'm hoping to see what kind of volunteer work I can do under the circumstances...maybe fostering for the local animal outreach shelter.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-16-2020 at 10:45 AM..
luv2teach2017 is online now   Reply With Quote

CC96

And several
Old 05-16-2020, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Luv2teach in your above post you talk about unity in crisis, and yet several of your posts on this forum, including the one above sadly have contained politically divisive comments. Personally I do not appreciate them on this forum which is meant to be helpful.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 05-16-2020, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
And several of your posts on this forum sadly have contained politically divisive comments. Personally I do not appreciate them on this forum which is meant to be helpful.
I'm just stating my experiences and things as they are. It's just the facts. I'm sorry to say. But it's just the facts (e.g. POTUS, in fact, never wears a mask when in public). (I've seen a lot of very strong ideological/political views posted by others on this forum, BTW.) If you have personal experiences of your own you can share regarding the pandemic situation, I'd love to hear about them.

I've also invested a lot of time and effort to share my knowledge and experience about the unemployment insurance process and EDD in particular. I know that you yourself have been helped quite a bit by that info, as you were (understandably so) really bewildered by it all at the beginning. Do I get credit for the help I gave? I've tried to dispel rumor and misinformation regarding UI and provide guidance that will help people here.

I understand that your opinions/views may differ from mine (or others') at times. That's fine too.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-16-2020 at 11:13 AM..

bodhimom

Old 05-16-2020, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Luv2teach, you have been a godsend to many on here and have spent much time to help others on this forum. What was said about you is a bunch of junk. If they don't like it, they can leave because the rest of us appreciate you and all that you have done.

As for volunteering, I have worked twice at the food bank and the hospice thrift store that I used to volunteer at on days I didn't get called to sub is opening, again, in a few weeks. It will be nice to feel a sense of accomplishment, again. Also, my husband and I just got $2400 in stimulus money, which is nice. I'm not a fan of government handouts, but I think (know) we have earned this money, all of us.

bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

thank you!
Old 05-16-2020, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you, bodhimom, for your support and kind words!

Honestly, the previous poster's remark really hurt my feelings, especially since I had tried to help her, in particular, with the UI process.

I admit I dislike (more like hate) POTUS, so it's going to leak out in my posts. But I try to tone it down. (Believe me, I'm not saying what I REALLY think by a long shot! ) If anyone likes him, that's their right too. Just don't be surprised if I don't agree.

As for the mask thing, I have a particularly strong reaction when I see people refusing to comply with that courtesy. I am in good health with no preconditions at all. Yet I believe I got slammed with Covis-19 back in mid February, when awareness was just surfacing. It was terrible beyond words.I truly believe if I hadn't been a healthy person, it would have killed me. I don't wish it on anyone. Nor would I want to suffer a relapse.

Since antibody testing isn't widely available yet, I can't confirm it, but I'm convinced that's what I experienced. The virus is nothing to joke about and it's no myth. The mask is a small thing to ask people in order to help protect us all, and I have no respect for anyone who refuses to honor that by wearing one when needed. I don't enjoy wearing it either, but I comply because it's the right thing to do for everyone's sake. (As for POTUS, shame on him! )

There. I'm off my soapbox now. Sorry, but I get passionate about some things.

Thanks, again, bodhimom!

broomrider

I'm confused
Old 05-16-2020, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

More and more at least for some districts and states it looks like there will be little opportunities for substitute work at least in the fall. Why aren't substitutes seeking other employment?

Substitute pay isn't great, there is no guarantee of work, administrations often don't offer support, the students are grouchy, and working closely with people looks to be a danger to health.

It seems like time to look for other employment. You can always come back to subbing as things settle down and there may be fewer subs as competition given all the problems.

I can understand holding on to unemployment when it pays better than subbing, but in the long run this may be an excellent time to find a more stable and quite possibly more lucrative position.

I also think that an exodus of subs will require districts and schools to be more considerate in their relations with these valuable employees.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

California
Old 05-16-2020, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was just afraid that you might stop helping us because of that, but you sound good. I had to ask my husband about POTUS - I had never heard of that . I told him that I thought you were talking about Trump, and he told me what it meant. I am pretty naive, especially when it comes to politics.

About a year ago I was sick and went to primary care. They made me wear a mask, which I absolutely hated at the time, but it was a lot more comfortable than the one I was made to wear at the food bank. It was very thick, had layers, I couldn't breathe, etc. It went WAY above my nose and WAY too far down my face.
They said they bought them from someone in the community that made them because they wanted to support local people. At least they didn't charge us for them. The one at the doc was much thinner and pure white.

If they were more comfortable, I think more people would be wearing them. I'm tempted to make my own, thin one that just covers my nose and mouth, not my entire face. . Maybe out of my old clothes that I can't wear, anymore.

I'm sure Trump isn't wearing one for political reasons. He doesn't want pictures of himself in masks all over the place. It has a negative connotation and will be used against him in the future, I'm sure. I really don't think he needs to wear one for health reasons because he gets tested a lot, and is usually far from the people he is speaking to, but I get the idea of him being a role model.

I don't see why we can't view our politcal opinions, as long as people don't go crazy, like I've seen in the chat rooms, many times. I haven't seen anything on this list that I thought went too far, and I'm very apolitical. People know when they go too far, and I haven't seen it on here.

bodhimom

Jobs for subs
Old 05-16-2020, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have looked at other job opportunities, but most of the jobs that are open are paper-pushing-type jobs and I could never handle a job like that. Things like billing and HR. Talk about watching the clock go super-slow, all day.

Also, most of the jobs require working nights and weekends, which I don't want to do since that is the only time I get to see my husband.

If you read the article I posted from WebMD, I believe it said that other countries are doing the hybrid thing. I've seen teachers post on here that that is what their schools are considering, also.

If schools go to hybrid classes, and only see their teachers once or twice a week, there will eventually still be a need for subs.

I think a lot of older subs will quit out of fear. Many subs are old. Two of ours did, and there were only 3 or 4 of us regular ones, in the first place.

I also think that the lastest knowledge that kids, themselves, are getting sick is going to have an impact on public opinion. Kids are no longer just vessels that carry it and all parents have to do is protect grandpa, anymore.

I think that we need to take a deep breath, try to be patient, save our money (we just got $2400 in stimulus money), and know that unless schools go to 100% online, which I highly doubt, there will always be a need for subs.

I do have a question, probably for Luv2teach , but in California Newsom announced a 10% pay cut for state employees, but I'm not sure if it was a sure thing. If it does happen, would that include teachers and subs? Or would that just be a 10% deduction in the district's budget?
sub89

sub89

substitute
Old 05-16-2020, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

The great thing about being a substitute was having the same hours as my child. Now with my child at home all day and perhaps home in the fall, looking for other employment is very challenging.

luv2teach2017

Old 05-16-2020, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
If they were more comfortable, I think more people would be wearing them. I'm tempted to make my own, thin one that just covers my nose and mouth, not my entire face. . Maybe out of my old clothes that I can't wear, anymore.
The thing is, there are all kinds of masks available now, even fashionable. People can choose from many different styles, either buy or make one. I don't see the excuse. I chalk some of it up to laziness, but also some of it is intentional resistance (note the anti-closure protesters (e.g. at the Sacramento capital) deliberately not wearing masks and ignoring social distancing).

When inside a store or other business, I simply wear an unused shop mask I'd bought previously for doing outdoor brush burning. ( It's very effective at blocking smoke particles, so I trust it.) It's comfortable too. It's a semi-soft molded shell that covers the nose and mouth, but with elastic that goes around the back of the head, not the ears. Is it attractive? Nope.

Quote:
Why aren't substitutes seeking other employment?
As far as looking for other work, I'm discouraged about that.

I've tried other kinds of work. Some paid very well, but made me miserable and just wasn't a good fit (desk work in corporate offices). I've always enjoyed teaching most, and subbing suits me. I found a district that paid well, treated me well, and had plenty of work in the grade levels I prefer. I don't need to work full-time anymore and subbing was the perfect job for me.

It's really depressing to think that just as I found something really right for me and I was good at, it gets taken away over night. I've been laid off before from so-called "good" jobs in the past. There's no real security these days. But I never in a million years guessed that schools would close and substitute teachers would get laid off!

It's easy to say "oh just get another job" when you're not in our shoes. Fact is, many of us are subbing because it's what suits us best. It's a unique kind of work. I think most of us are hoping that this situation will go away sooner rather than later and we can all go back to normal.

Not to mention the high unemployment rate in this country due to the pandemic. There simply are too many people out of work and little decent (or safe) employment available. (Do you want to work in a grocery store where you're at risk because you're exposed to the public day in and out?)

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-16-2020 at 05:26 PM..

Sublime

Old 05-16-2020, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thanks to Luv2Teach. I have benefited from your advice.

I do NOT want another job! I took this job knowing what the limitations are (regarding benefits, etc) and I have enjoyed it for many years. I can't imagine doing another job and I can't imagine finding a job that is flexible and pays what my district pays per day. I love the kids and am very comfortable in the schools I sub in.

I also don't care about anyone's political affiliation here or if they mention it. We're all supposed to help each other and empathize when we've had a bad day!!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
R360

R360

Taking Sides
Old 05-16-2020, 11:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

It is true that to be on one side is more popular than the other on here. As for the virus, there is a lot of data to show it's not as bad as we thought it would be, or as bad as the mainstream media wants us to believe. Studies from Stanford and USC are ignored by many media sources. Studies showing chances of dying from the virus is .03 percent,
according to a team of doctors from those institutions. I say, read and watch many different sources of media to draw your own conclusions
As for the POTUS, it doesn't bother me either way, wearing a mask or not. The point is, the information and what's really going on probably should be considered and treated somewhere in the middle, not one extreme view or the other.

luv2teach2017

Old 05-17-2020, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
As for the virus, there is a lot of data to show it's not as bad as we thought it would be, or as bad as the mainstream media wants us to believe
In your opinion. You may also believe there aren't that many road fatalities so you shouldn't have to obey the speed limit. But is that responsible behavior?

Regardless of whether his behavior bothers you, as a leader figure, POTUS should be modeling responsible behavior for others' sake. As POTUS, he's obligated to provide a positive example. Instead, he blatantly disregards the rules that everyone else is expected to follow.

If you are a teacher, you should understand the problem with that attitude. Can a teacher expect students to follow the rules of safety while she openly breaks those rules? Rest assured, the students will figure if the teacher doesn't follow the rules, why should they?

Tell me. If you and the students are required to wear masks when you sub teach, will you comply or refuse and accuse "mainstream media" of a hoax?

This isn't about politics or the media. It's about common sense, decency, and social responsibility.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-17-2020 at 05:38 AM..

MaineSub

Just one thing...
Old 05-17-2020, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I would say the most accurate and factual statement in this entire thread is "No one knows what's next."

There is no shortage of opinions and predictions. Unfortunately, many of those opinions and predictions are one dimensional.

Personally, I'm prepared and hoping to "go back" this fall but I can't say with conviction we will--or won't. So I'm also prepared not to go back. Being proactive means engaging in option thinking and considering different strategies.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

I have political opinions too
Old 05-17-2020, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I do not agree with CC at all. She should go to a political forum

Last edited by Bobbies; 05-17-2020 at 02:39 PM..

wilecoyote

which district in Ca? I'm wondering because..
Old 05-17-2020, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

which district in Ca? I'm wondering because i haven't got any such letter from a sub coordinator reg. long term subbing yet...wondering if that's coming soon...
wilecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 05-17-2020, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Wiliecoyote: it was due to medical leaves (probably pregnancy too) in the district. Different districts have different circumstances.
R360

R360

Varied Opinions
Old 05-17-2020, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Who's saying the pandemic is a hoax?; Following laws of the road is quite different than this pandemic. Apples and oranges. I don't believe the POTUS has that responsibility to model " appropriate" behavior wearing a mask. There's varied opinions on what's appropriate.
.03 percent tells me that wearing a mask is not necessary most of the time. I'll accept the information from USC and Stanford. To develop a stronger immune system one has to build up a tolerance from being around some germs.Plus the POTUS doesn't have health problems. He has the right to exercise the choices that he makes. While teaching, I abide and follow the rules. But I also question the rules and press for updates and changes to get back to normality,not the new normality. I'm not a big proponent of the groupthink mentality to simply fall in line.Many want their civil liberties back.
R360

R360

Leaders Modeling with Masks
Old 05-17-2020, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Regarding the POTUS and other leaders who are " expected" to be donning masks by others. What are we really trying to teach children ? Are we teaching them to be safe and or fearful? I am not saying that we shouldn't wear masks, but it does beg the question what we're really teaching kids. Children need to be taught how to be strong, use common sense, and use good judgement. Yes they have to follow rules and be safe. But, no matter how many safety precautions and rules there are too follow, the element of risk and choosing comes into play in life. Leaders in many fields will be able to exploit others by perpetuating fear. I'm optimistic for an expiration date for how long this will endure.
Sweetsunset
Old 05-18-2020, 12:37 PM
This message has been deleted by Sweetsunset.

Sweetsunset

Old 05-18-2020, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

luv2teach2017:

Thank you for helping me out when all this broke out mid march.

I had no idea how to maneuver my way through the EDD and UI claim process. Yours and everyone else's posts made a difference in easing my concerns during that process.

I used to be an observer of this thread from afar, due to working two jobs and being slightly shy- yes, even with online forum such as this , but I always noticed that in this platform: people help each other out, they share useful resources that other subs might need--and yes, vent (because we all have those days inside the classroom). Thank you all.

(I had to delete the other post- I don't know why it's still showing)
Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 05-18-2020, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Quote:
luv2teach2017:

Thank you for helping me out when all this broke out mid march.
You're welcome, Sweetsunset! I'm glad that my own past experiences with UI and EDD can help you all. No one likes to be laid off and dependent on UI, but as you see, it can happen to anyone.

(NOTE: To R360 : I decline to discuss these issues with you. You are posting as a guest and haven't bothered to sign up here. You should first spend some time on this forum and build up some familiarity and rapport with folks here on friendly terms. As it is, you come across as a troll.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-18-2020 at 06:56 PM..

luv2teach2017

being proactive
Old 05-18-2020, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Quote:
Personally, I'm prepared and hoping to "go back" this fall but I can't say with conviction we will--or won't. So I'm also prepared not to go back. Being proactive means engaging in option thinking and considering different strategies.
MaineSub...you're totally right about being proactive. In my case, I feel like the wind got knocked out of me and I'm still reeling. I just never expected a public health crisis to come along and shut down the schools! OMG! It's still hard to fathom.

But I've been taking time to reassess what really matters. I've gotten rested and my health back (I fell ill with what I believe was Covid in mid February and it took me 2 months to fully recover).

I'm now facing the fact that my state (California) is now dealing with a severe budget deficit due to the pandemic impact and school districts are now having to lay off employees. Who knows how else the budget cuts will affect schools? Shorter school days, fewer per week? More virtual teaching? Either way, it will impact how much work there will be for substitute teachers. Districts in my area may even opt to outsource their substitute teacher jobs using contracting agencies to cut costs (big mistake).

I have no idea what kind of work to look for, quite honestly. I used to be a technical writer, but never liked working at a desk all day. My skills haven't kept up with the new tech either. I've checked job openings to see what's being required in that field these days. I myself am feeling pretty overwhelmed right now and very unsure what to do. I'm sure many here can identify with that feeling.

I'm really grateful to have UI benefits and the additional $600/wk. fed money. It helps not to have the stress of financial worries on top of everything else. It's truly a heaven sent.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-18-2020 at 07:02 PM..

Fractured

Old 05-18-2020, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I don’t really like the “no politics except on the politics board” policy here. I think people can conduct themselves in a rational manner if people have disagreements. That said, I have posted about politics on here but it is usually more fact based than trying to convince people of something. I will reiterate that people should wear masks when they go out, it’s the least we can do for others. As for Trump, I urge people to listen to medical and health experts over any politicians right now, especially ones with a proven track record of lying.

bodhimom

Old 05-18-2020, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I wouldn't advocate for the best vetting process being watching many different sources. I say find sources that are accurate, not just for entertainment. I prefer to hear from doctors than politicians or talking heads, where sometimes they don't even tell us their background!

bodhimom

Old 05-18-2020, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I think the difference is that the general public are adults, not students. I think adults should understand that Trump doesn't need to wear one and isn't required to wear one.

Fractured

Old 05-18-2020, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

But he makes his staff wear them and he is constantly getting tested, so there lies the hypocrisy.

bodhimom

Old 05-18-2020, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

He is also the most powerful person in the world.

We don't know that he requires his staff to wear them. If anybody, it is probably the people charged with protecting him.

Masks are for people that are sick, to keep them from protecting others. If you aren't sick, there isn't a medical reason to wear one. It is a precaution.

Fractured

Old 05-18-2020, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

They all have to wear masks now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...anada-52626770

Just because he is in a powerful position doesn’t mean he should do whatever he wants to possibly infect other people. But, we know that’s not how he operates.

bodhimom

Old 05-18-2020, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

If he is 6-feet from others, he doesn't need one.

Fractured

Old 05-18-2020, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

It’s supposed to be you wear a mask AND stay six feet apart from everyone though. Just think about how many people he meets in a day if he goes to a factory or some photo op thing. Six feet is basically an arbitrary number they gave out. You can be fifteen feet away and if someone sneezes or coughs you can still absorb droplets. Even McConnell is wearing one now.

MaineSub

Luv2teach2017
Old 05-19-2020, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Quote:
MaineSub...you're totally right about being proactive. In my case, I feel like the wind got knocked out of me and I'm still reeling. I just never expected a public health crisis to come along and shut down the schools! OMG! It's still hard to fathom.
Agreed! I've always thought the advice to "Expect the unexpected" was silly--how can you do that? I suppose on a personal level major changes happen all the time... this is particularly difficult because of the magnitude. Without a doubt, we can all cite examples of paradigm shifts--no less difficult but on a much smaller scale. Things go in and out of fashion. I'm old enough to remember when everyone wanted to be a travel agent. The few that remain are proactive--they figured out how to have value and find a niche.

I think there's a danger in times like these of trying to create certainty where it simply doesn't exist. Gamblers play the odds... and ultimately life is about managing risk. There's an old quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln who said that he'd crossed many bridges during his life, but none before he came to them. That's not suggesting one shouldn't plan--it's suggesting that plans are living things that require option thinking and flexibility. Ultimately, the certainty is not found it our ability to predict the future; it's found in our confidence in our ability to live in it.

If you're feeling overwhelmed, just remember the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. It sounds to me like you are off to a good start.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Sage advice
Old 05-19-2020, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Quote:
I think there's a danger in times like these of trying to create certainty where it simply doesn't exist. Gamblers play the odds... and ultimately life is about managing risk. There's an old quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln who said that he'd crossed many bridges during his life, but none before he came to them. That's not suggesting one shouldn't plan--it's suggesting that plans are living things that require option thinking and flexibility. Ultimately, the certainty is not found it our ability to predict the future; it's found in our confidence in our ability to live in it.
Well put! Thanks, MaineSub! It is tempting to grasp for reassurances and certainty. But you're exactly right. This is about paradigm shifting and navigating the unknown.

bodhimom

Old 05-19-2020, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Ok, fractured. You win.

luv2teach2017

Old 05-19-2020, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Btw: POTUS has now revealed that he's been taking daily doses of hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug. He's tryng to ward off Covid 19. FDA has warned against taking the drug for that. Why not just wear a mask like everyone else, dude? Really???

bodhimom

Old 05-19-2020, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I wonder if he's injecting himself with bleach, too. . I also question the doctor that is prescribing that for him.

I think he just can't admit that he was wrong about the hrdroxychloroquine. Now he can say, "See, I was right. I took the hrdroxychloroquine and I didn't get sick!".

He needs to stop pretending he is an m.d. and stay in his lane.

luv2teach2017

Old 05-19-2020, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Who knows whether anything he says is really true. Maybe he tested positive and is using the drug to cure himself? Maybe he is just lying about taking the drug to justify his assertions about it and his not wearing a mask? He's a total nutcase, if you ask me.

The problem is that there are people who are very naive and actually believe everything he says. Whatever he promotes, they are following suit. Someone already died because he used the wrong form of the chemical (made for cleaning fish tanks or something?) That's what I've been trying to say. When someone is in a position of leadership, a lot of people follow them like sheep. If DT doesn't wear a mask, they don't wear a mask. If he promotes a drug, they use the drug. It doesn't matter that he's a nut and doesn't know what he's talking about. He's setting a terrible ( and dangerous) example.

Fractured

Old 05-19-2020, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I’m not trying to win, I’m just here to point out his hypocrisy in this particular situation. He doesn’t lose anything by wearing a mask. I don’t expect he ever will though. No one loses anything by wearing a mask.
Can people in this country stop being selfish for two f*cking seconds and just put it on while they shop or are outside?

I also don’t think he is taking the drug. He most likely has stock in it or is getting some kind of kickback to talk it up. He is a major health risk if he taking it though. He lies like people breathe.

bodhimom

cdc watered down guidelines
Old 05-19-2020, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

AHA! I just found the watered down CDC guidelines for opening schools and I thought you guys would be interested. I was shocked...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ision-Tree.pdf

bodhimom

Old 05-19-2020, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

He said that he didn't want to wear a mask because the Democrats would have pictures of him wearing it and use it against him in the future, which I'm sure they would. It's political.

And I heard him say that, himself, it wasn't second hand or manipulated, in any way, whatsoever, except he might have said "people," instead of "Democrats."

Fractured

Old 05-19-2020, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

Still not a good reason to not where it. A real leader wouldn’t care what people use the photo for. Since he had made such a fuss to open up stuff, they would prolly use it against him, but it would be fair play. Just curious, do you support him?

bodhimom

Old 05-20-2020, 02:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I'm not a Trump fan, but I am Republican. Not every Republican has to be a Trump fan.

I do know, though, because I've seen it, myself (so has my husband) , that reporters, especially CNN, twist what he says on a regular basis. You'd be surprised. Especially with the headlines, but even the stories. I don't like fake news.

Sometimes I wonder what the he** is wrong with him, though.

I'm not like a lot of people that are 100% for one person or another.

At least he looks like he'll live for another four years, though, that is, if he doesn't inject himself with bleach. More than I can say for the other guy.

Last edited by bodhimom; 05-20-2020 at 03:19 AM..

luv2teach2017

Old 05-20-2020, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

What's wrong with him? POTUS is a psychopath, a malignant narcissist, a textbook example (read up on it if you don't know what that is). He's already done enough damage. And it will only get worse.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 05-20-2020 at 06:33 AM..

Fractured

Old 05-20-2020, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I wish more Repubs could distance themselves from Trump. Most seem to be unable to criticize him on anything at all. See the politics and issues board on here if you want to see what I mean.

I have a lot of problems with Trump, but the worst thing about him is just his sheer incompetence in this pandemic. Despite what anyone thinks of Biden, Clinton ( or Bush II, Romney, McCain), I have no doubt they would have been able to lead us though this crisis without all of the divisiveness he brings to the table.

As for CNN, even if they play clips out of context, Fox News straight up lies and is propaganda tv. If people want straight news, I suggest the Associated Press.

bodhimom

Old 05-20-2020, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

I don't think anybody is a God. I always wonder about people that are gung ho over anybody.

That's why I like to hear it from the horse's mouth.

KCRA seems to be the most accurate of the ones I've seen. They just tell it like it is.

When you know what the news show is going to say, before you turn it on (like CNN), that is a problem.

If I didn't have buku time on my hands to drag myself through all of Trump's press conferences, I would have never known how much CNN manipulates things. It was quite surprising. What they would report is not at all what was said or what happened. It was ridiculous. I can understand people not liking Trump, but they should still have integrity, no matter what. Not that I'm saying that Trump isn't crazy, mind you, but that doesn't excuse their lack of integrity.

I know this was long, long ago (when I was in high school), but we were taught that reporters don't have an opinion. I wish they would return to that.

bodhimom

South Korea schools
Old 05-21-2020, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

I think I told you guys how South Korea was opening its schools, or it might have been in the link I posted...

Well, they closed back up the first day they had students.

2 students tested positive. They think it is related to an outbreak from a nightclub.