Help

Private Schools

Reduced tuition?

>

overthemoon

Reduced tuition?
Old 06-09-2020, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach at a private preschool in a church. The preschool board is going to lower the tuition for the months that we do online learning this fall to encourage parents to keep their children enrolled. They are considering reducing tuition to half during these times like they did this spring. Of course this means less pay for teachers which isn't that much to begin with. We do instructional videos, Zoom sessions and provide lesson plans and supplies for projects. If your school is similar are you reducing tuition or asking parents to pay the regular amount? Since preschool is optional and remote learning certainly isn't ideal, they are afraid lots of parents will withdraw if asked to pay their regular tuition when we are doing instruction remotely.

overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-09-2020, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am surprised that they've already decided to do remote learning. Especially for preschool- preschools around here are already up and running in person. They opened shortly after daycares. No one around here has decided anything for fall and it seems we are leaning towards doing in person learning. Of course things change quickly so that may not happen.

My dad works at a private Catholic school. They've already started working on remote learning next year in the event it happens- even though that hasn't been decided yet. They are specifically wanting to make sure it's very robust so that parents see value in continuing to pay tuition/won't just go to the public schools if it's all remote anyway. They are talking about having "live" classes instead of doing asynchronous things like videos, assignments, etc. So for example, the reading lesson may be at 10 AM or whatever and all of the students would log in to a zoom with the teacher and go through a regular lesson as if they were in class- even utilizing things like zoom break out rooms for group/partner work.

I could see this working in a private school setting as parents are better equipped to have the resources/availability to do it. If my dad says his reading lesson is at 10 AM, most if not all of his students will log on. That would never happen with our population at my public school. I've also seen a lot of parent complaints on social media (not from my district, but from where I live) that "teachers aren't really teaching." So if something like what my dad's school has planned is offered, I could see parents still wanting to pay the tuition over going to public school.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

overthemoon

Old 06-09-2020, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your reply Haley23. We are not sure if we will start online or just end up there sometime during the school year. I guess they just want to be prepared. In the spring we did not offer live Zoom sessions or materials to complete lessons and we gave parents a 50% break on tuition. Maybe if we are adding those things parents would be willing to pay more than half. I guess with preschool, the problem is one of the most important aspects is the social learning that goes on, and that is hard to replicate online when children can't play together. Thanks for your thoughts!
overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 06-11-2020, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Parents paid regular tuition while we were doing online instruction. This will be the same when school starts back in the fall. Our preschool department never closed. Some parents chose to keep their children home, though. I'm not sure how they handled that financially because I teach middle school and my kids are older.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

So far
Old 06-25-2020, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So far, were at regular tuition. There have been requests for adjustments, but Im not sure that will happen.

Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

burpeeking

Old 06-28-2020, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

we are planning on face to face learning and that would be regular tuition...if a parent chooses for kids to have virtual or distance learning , then tuition would be less...not sure how much less
burpeeking is offline   Reply With Quote