Help

Special Education

Question for pull out teachers

>

Haley23

Question for pull out teachers
Old 06-15-2020, 11:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about what pull out services would look like next year. As of right now, it sounds like we'll be going back to in person learning (of course that could change). A few districts have already announced they'll be in person 5 days per week next year. However, those districts have also said that one of their precautions will be making sure students stay with the same cohort/same teacher all day.

How does that work for us who pull students from multiple classrooms at the same time? We have a really robust intervention block schedule at my school and I have no idea what will happen to that- not only are kids being pulled into all kinds of different groups from various classrooms/with various teachers, but the groups also change every 6 weeks. There are also EL services, mental health services, SLP,OT, etc.

I guess maybe we could say we're not running gen ed intervention as normal due to safety concerns (that would absolutely kill my P), but all of the other services are legally required. Struggles of students with disabilities are one of the top things continuously mentioned as an argument for going back in person, so I don't see them saying those services won't be provided in person.

This just seems like something nobody is talking about/thinking about in my area. I'm just curious to see if anyone else has heard anything!

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

panther1987

Me too
Old 06-16-2020, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish I had some answers for you and for me. My district hasn't mentioned anything about next year but when watching other local districts plans, they keep mentioning cohorts staying together and that is my worst fear.
panther1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-16-2020, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No news as of yet here. I am betting things stay pretty much as regular with masks and social distancing as necessary. Unless the government changes the rules, sped students will still need services.

I dreamed last night that my class was digital. I sat in my room and removed into classrooms. I really donít know how this could work. Classroom teachers would still have to be there and we would need money for some sort of camera in every room. Unless specials classes are very non dynamic. Maybe even just a video.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-16-2020, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also had a zoom related school anxiety dream. My dreams are finally catching up to reality .

Traditionally we have not clustered kids with IEPs at my school since the services are pull out. I wonder if that will be one of the suggestions to minimize contacts between rooms. That would be a lot of IEPs in one room for some grade levels. And if kids are seeing me, the SLP, OT, school psych, and EL teacher and we're all seeing all of the other grade levels, it doesn't really "minimize contact" much. But I could see some higher up mandating this because they think it sounds good on paper.

Today two other districts in my area announced they will be going full time 5 days per week in person next year.

pdxteacher

Old 06-16-2020, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We haven't heard anything from the district yet, but the state put out guidelines/recommendations... and everything seems just impossible. Clustering kids, 35 ft per person in a classroom, masks, not getting within 6 feet of each other... I can't imagine how this is going to work.

I teach self-contained, but our building sped team had a wrap-up meeting and were talking about the pull-out services. We agreed that grouping all learning center students in one classroom would be more problematic than "contamination" from seeing multiple teachers. It might be possible to wipe down tables between groups and have separate materials, but that's going to take time away from actually teaching.

As a self-contained sped teacher.... I honestly try not to think about it right now. Most of my middle schoolers won't be able to wear a mask, and there's no way to stay 6 feet away from each other. And all of the other service providers that come in every day but also travel between buildings... ugh.

pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-17-2020, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My gut feeling is that we will be going back pretty much like normal. It will be more sanitary for students to go to specials where specials teachers can maintain a certain amount of cleanliness. Specials may have to adapt supplies they use in some ways, but it would be cleaner than piling everything on a cart and dragging from class to class. Students may have to have more time to clean up between classes (here I would have a couple of students wiping things down for me).

We don't have the resource staff to have sped services in each classroom. 2 teachers can't do that and I don't see how they could find money to do more OR the teachers to do it. We can't fill sped teacher slots as it is now.

I don't know about the mask thing either. If kids don't wear them, why should staff? Some kids I can see keeping them on most of the time IF ample time is provided to have them off (more outside time?), but many no way can wear them. They can hardly keep their clothes on!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-17-2020, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I hadn't even thought about some providers travelling between buildings. Right now that's only our OT, but still. We also typically have a psych intern who is in 2 buildings but I'm pretty sure they couldn't find one this year.

I also didn't think about the other service providers for self-contained. We have a self-contained Autism program in my building. Their teacher is very young and she's not concerned/just wants to go back. She tried to get my P to let her run her classroom in person when the rest of the school was closed. No way will her kids distance, but I was thinking it might be safer for them because they're all only being exposed to the same tiny cohort all day- but that's not true with the related service providers going in and out.

Quote:
We don't have the resource staff to have sped services in each classroom. 2 teachers can't do that and I don't see how they could find money to do more OR the teachers to do it. We can't fill sped teacher slots as it is now.

I don't know about the mask thing either. If kids don't wear them, why should staff?
There are only two of us doing pull outs as well, but if all of the IEPs are clustered into one classroom per grade level, that would be only one class exposed to all of the extra providers vs. 3 classes. It wouldn't change anything for us- we'd still be seeing the same amount of kids/since it's all pull out it doesn't matter where they're pulled from. I personally don't think it's worth clustering them but I could see some admin thinking that's a great idea to limit exposure.

I totally agree on the masks. At first my district had said they were absolutely required and if parents don't want that they must choose online (there will be an online option either way). Then at the state level they've now said kids aren't required to wear them, so I don't see how my district could get away with requiring them. If everyone is wearing them, it makes sense, but it makes zero sense if there are 25 unmasked kids and 1 masked teacher in the room, especially since the teacher is really the one at risk. It makes sense to me to require them for things like meetings where adults are in close proximity and everyone can wear a mask, or maybe even when walking in the hallway and things like that. I think it should be optional in the classroom if the kids aren't going to be masked.

My district just sent out a google form asking people if they wanted to be on the committee to look at plans/give suggestions. I signed up, but I'm not available next week so I won't get chosen if they want to start then.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-17-2020, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have heard nothing yet and I'm going to be traveling between 2 buildings. One of those buildings doesn't even have a principal yet.

And I'm going to say that I had almost 0 participation from my kids when we went to distance learning last year, with their classroom teachers or with me. I can't even begin to imagine what it'll be like if I don't meet them in person and building relationships with them first. I'm sure this is school year is going to be a piece of cake.

I'm honestly not stressing about it because I can't control anything about it. It'll be what it'll be.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 06-17-2020, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I'm honestly not stressing about it because I can't control anything about it. It'll be what it'll be.
100% agree - but that doesn't stop me from thinking about it.

If "clustering" is the way we go, what happens to the students in my self-contained class who go to electives and some gen ed content classes? I have 6-8th graders, so that's at least three grade levels to be exposed to and then bring back to our classroom. But not participating in gen ed classes is definitely not okay.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 06-19-2020, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I teach the whole ELA & math blocks to my IEP kids 1 - 3. Iím curious too!

Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 06-20-2020, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We haven't heard anything yet. My state is pushing for returning to in person learning with requirements for masks and social distancing. But my county is still in Phase 1 (basically home quarantine except for necessities) and we aren't even close to meeting the requirements for Phase 2, so who knows. My reading intervention room is about 10X15 with no window that opens, so I'm not even sure at this point if I'm going to be allowed to teach students in my classroom.
When I talked to my principal about intervention, he basically said, "I have no idea what you'll be doing!" I'm trying not to think about it right now since nothing is settled yet.
There are discussions about split schedules, keeping kids with their entire class all day without the class moving anywhere and without mixing classes together. Either of these will completely change our schedule and intervention plan (like you, we have an MTSS system that is solid and actually a model for our district) and it's super overwhelming to think about.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote