Help

Special Education

Remote Learning as a Special Education Resource Teacher

>

Aug2011

Old 07-08-2020, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

With all of the uncertainty surrounding how schools would resume in the fall, I am thinking of using Google Classroom for remote learning. The problem is I am a special education resource teacher and I'm not quite sure what would be the most beneficial way to utilize it because I see groups students of different learning abilities in addition to targeting different IEP goals (reading, math, writing, social skills). Has anyone used Google Classroom in this way? How did you set up your Google Classroom to meet each student's needs? Any information would be very helpful.

Aug2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aug2011

Old 07-08-2020, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Has anyone ever used Google Classroom as a resource teacher? If so, how did you set up your classroom in order to meet the individual needs of students who have different IEP goals? I'm thinking of using this platform in the fall for distance learning and don't quite know where to start. Any ideas would be helpful.

Haley23

Old 07-08-2020, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you need to use whatever platform the gen ed teachers are using for each grade level. If you have your students on something totally different than what their gen ed classes are using, IMO they're likely to just never look at your stuff.

Last year I had K-2; K-1 used Seesaw and 2nd use Google Classroom. I was added as an additional teacher in the classes I had students in. Last year everything was asynchronous so I created 15 minute instructional videos with exit tickets for students. Based on the IEP minutes I had, I did reading every day and math twice per week. When creating the assignments I labeled them things like "4/1 IEP Reading Lesson" so that parents would be aware that was their sped service. At first I was worried about labeling things "IEP" in google classroom for privacy reasons, but you can assign it only to individual students so the gen ed students in the classroom couldn't see those assignments and who they were for.

We were also required to have a daily office hour via zoom so parents/students could ask questions "live." I never once had anyone come to mine; I just set up the zoom every day in case someone came in and continued working on something else.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

Old 07-09-2020, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with Haley...you need to be added to all the teachers' Google classrooms. I teach K-4 cross categorical. Besides adding lessons to the Google classroom I also set up zoom meetings with all kids to work on reading and math. We met 1 or 2 times a week for 30 minutes. I had 50% of kids meeting with me regularly which was not good. I spent a lot of time calling parents to encourage participation, or remind them of their child's meeting with me. I also sent home packets of reading for students but again...some students were reading with parents and others weren't.

This fall...my main concern is...can I meet with groups of students virtually? That is the only way I can meet those IEP minutes. And....I cannot be calling and reminding parents everyday...lots of wasted time. We need consistency and everyone on the same page.

I think special education teachers on PT would benefit from sharing more of what works for them and how they make it work if we are teaching virtually. Good luck because we all are going to need it!
Opal is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-09-2020, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
This fall...my main concern is...can I meet with groups of students virtually? That is the only way I can meet those IEP minutes. And....I cannot be calling and reminding parents everyday...lots of wasted time. We need consistency and everyone on the same page
In the spring we were "strongly encouraged" to do "live" groups via zoom. I didn't do it because I knew no one would show up. I'm in a low SES school and work with K-2. There are not stay at home parents just ready and available to make sure their 5-8 year old is logged on at the appropriate time and ready to learn. I did offer 15 minute 1:1 sessions as part of a tutoring grant program we were allowed to move online. I offered this to my entire caseload; 3 students signed up and only 2 of them actually showed. It did go very well with those 2 students, but I don't think we say this is how services are going to be when it only worked for 2 out of 25 kids!!

For this fall my district is anticipating having to go in and out of remote learning based on outbreaks connected to schools and changing health guidelines. My director is saying that we need to just run our normal schedule on zoom those days, basically as if we were still at school. I get that this is better for learning, but it requires parents to understand/follow the schedule, and be available to show up at those set times. And for primary aged students, IMO it also would require parents to be there somewhat supervising and making sure their child is attending to the computer. It's pretty easy for kids to just walk away from the computer if they decide they don't want to do it.

I just think we're going to have very little participation that way. And part of me is resentful as well, because of course gen ed is not being asked to sit in front of their computer all day and teach live zoom lessons. At least I don't have my own kids at home to take care of- I don't know how my teammates who are also parents are just going to sit on zoom for 8 hours a day trying to teach while also managing their own children.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aug2011

Old 07-09-2020, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Haley23

Thanks! I really like the idea of just being added to the gen. ed. teacher's platform and posting assignments to special education students only. A lot of my students didn't participate in my assignments this fall but did participate in gen. ed. assignments so this would definitely help with having things in one area.

Opal

Old 07-09-2020, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just found out today that when we are teaching virtually...it will be from school...not home.
Opal is online now   Reply With Quote

Aug2011

Old 07-09-2020, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also set up Zoom meetings with all of my students 1x/week so we could just communicate and connect with each other. As far as assignments, I posted assignments for the week in each area of service and mailed assignments to those who did not have internet or technology. Google Classroom will be new to our students this year so I just want to make the remote learning process less of a headache. I felt like all I was doing this past spring was emailing and making phone calls to parents who didn't return any of my phone calls. I really want my students to access their education at any time since a lot of parents are essential workers and are not home during school hours so I'm hoping Google Classroom would help. During your Zoom group meetings for reading and math, how were you able to provide instruction for multiple goals?