Help

First Grade

Anyone doing in person learning?

>

jpfirstgrade

Anyone doing in person learning?
Old 07-27-2020, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I know many people are starting the year off with remote learning. Is there anyone who is doing in person with kids? We are offering 5 full days a week or distance learning to our families. We still have little to no information about how to plan or prepare our rooms or instruction. Anyone else in this situation? I have no idea what to plan for our first 2 days (thankful it's only 2 to get started!).

jpfirstgrade is offline   Reply With Quote

SaraFirst

In Person
Old 07-28-2020, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, we are also doing 5 days or online learning. I don't know what to do either. First, I want to arrange my room and see how I can spread the desks out. For my first days, I'm sure we will go over classroom rules and new Covid safety information.
SaraFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

dusty

Yes (unfortunately)
Old 07-29-2020, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are also doing in person learning and I do not feel comfortable with it at all. I would love to hear how people plan on keeping young students engaged while stuck at their desk all day. Also, how do people plan on teaching decoding skills? I will not be able to pull small reading groups like I normally would.
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

jpfirstgrade

Old 07-29-2020, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't feel comfortable either. Most of the teachers in my district don't but no one seems to care. I have tables in my room and had to play around with the layout. There is no way to get 6 feet between students with the 24 I have on my roster. We have zero information and go back in less than 2 weeks. Such a crazy time!

GoodEnough85

We are here in the Midwest
Old 07-30-2020, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You are luckier than we are in one respect. We have ALWAYS started with 3 teacher days prior to two student days to go over back to school process prior to jumping in. Not this year. Teacher days are August 19, 20, 21 and kids begin on Monday, 8/24. We have a full week to start and I hate it!

I plan to start with procedures and routines just like every year but with a focus on the COVID related ones first and last. I know kids tune out so I plan to practice a ton.

GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 07-30-2020, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yup, and we are doing the A/B schedule so only half the kids will be in-person each day and the other half online.
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I think so.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We plan to have full classes. I went in today to get rid of all my extra stuff so I could see if I could spread out 20 desks. It's tight, but I think it will work. Our principal is buying every classroom a big sneeze guard to put on the reading table, and I'm making them for each desk out of cardboard boxes and clear plastic sheeting. I had to get rid of all my stuffed animals, centers, and cushions. It's a very sad situation.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

jpfirstgrade

Old 08-04-2020, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks to everyone who replied and is in the same boat! What thoughts do you have on first day plans or what to take out of the rooms? It's been hard to plan with out information from our district or being able to meet with other teachers.

Tiamat

Old 08-08-2020, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Do not make your own PPE, for your desks or the children. You are opening yourself to massive legal liability, and would face it without the support of the school.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

jpfirstgrade

Old 08-11-2020, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for the replies and support. We were thrown a huge curve ball last Thursday (should have seen it coming) and made a quick switch to full distance learning for the first 8 weeks!I've been in "training" the last 2 days. Good luck to everyone this school year no matter what way you are teaching. We are all in this together!