Help

Substitute Teachers

I don't want to be Covid Cop

>

Subtastic

I don't want to be Covid Cop
Old 07-27-2020, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I do plan to sub in a school next year, but my question is will schools pull us out of the classroom and make us mask monitors, social distancing directors in the hallways, cleaners the whole day? Do they have a right to do this?

I would tell them I came here to teach. And if being Covid cop was to be my sole job, that would be my last day at that school/district.

Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 07-27-2020, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn't read into what might happen only what you would do if it happens. Things are obviously changing, go with the flow. If the flow is uncomfortable choose a different flow.
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 07-27-2020, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a semi retired band, music, and theatre teacher who now works a a teaching assistant for my retirement job.

My district is going to start the year remotely, but will probably be forced to go to hybrid at some point and I fear the same thing for me. I have worked as a 1 to 1 assistant for special needs type students and I donít know how that is possible while social distancing. I see being pulled to clean the school and make sure students stay six feet apart and wear their masks as you said.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 07-28-2020, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with Jakeh. There is already enough mystery to be making up more scenarios, ourselves.

I think the shortage of subs is going to make schools rethink how they have treated us, though, personally.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

ChessandCheck

cop
Old 07-28-2020, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

without even being pulled, i think playing covid cop in class is what this year looks like for us. teaching was hard enough for a sub in my district; if i go back, i expect horrific behavior and i doubt i will even bother to try to help them understand material or work through issues. as a sub, i have been bathroom cop multiple times; i would expect your concern is quite valid.

edited to add - for what it's worth, helping kids when i could and just plain talking to them is what i enjoyed about this work. 99% of everything i did (helping or correcting) required proximity. the fact that i can't envision myself helping kids this year isn't because i don't want to or don't care, i just don't know how to do this job in the environments i'm in and stay safe doing it. if i go back, i expect it will amount to sitting at the front and yelling across the room to put your mask on, you need to stay apart, stop eating, quit coughing on each other and so on. it's like all the worst parts of this job dialed up to 11... and yes, added cleaning, added monitoring work.

Last edited by ChessandCheck; 07-28-2020 at 11:39 AM..
ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 07-28-2020, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
bodhimom said: I think the shortage of subs is going to make schools rethink how they have treated us, though, personally.
The email I received from my district implies this, at least monetarily:

Quote:
I will be back in touch soon with professional development details, and an exciting substitute teacher compensation announcement. Stay healthy and I’ll provide more information soon!

Respectfully,

Senior Director, Human Resources
This tells me that my district has seen a drop off in the number of subs responding to the Letter of Assurance in April due to a fear of the virus. Of course, in April no subs knew the COVID virus spread would extend into July/August! I certainly didn't.

We'll see.
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 07-28-2020, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Now we just need to get a union.

sila

Old 07-28-2020, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Monitoring is ok .
If they make the overly cleaning job,that is not good .
Limited cleaning is ok with change of gloves :
sila is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 07-28-2020, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I mean, how does it usually go for us? As someone who does mainly high school, they are always on their phones, walk out of the classroom without saying where they are going and only about a third of the kids actually do work if it is a worksheet. It might be less than that.

If I am actually teaching a lesson, they might be a little more involved. If it’s a film or doc, they are all on their phones.

As they know we are basically powerless when it comes to discipline, I really doubt they will listen to us about masks. What, call security and have them get sent to the office for not wearing a mask? And then have them come back after 20 minutes with them pissed at us? Unless they are willing to send that kid home and back us, we will be dealing with that all year. I could also see it escalating very quickly and getting spit on or having my mask torn off. I am usually really mellow with them and I sometimes get good classes, but I’m not going to put myself in this situation for the danger it presents.

I had to cover for a teacher who went home with the flu during the last week of classes in March. I was sure I was going to get sick, touching all of her stuff with no wipes. Another kid coughed on me right in my face(not on purpose), but she didn’t cover her mouth in time.

The problem is you can’t do a one on one or have a private convo with a kid now because you don’t want to be close to someone, esp without a mask. If their parents are crazy anti mask people, they will prolly act the same.

Last edited by Fractured; 07-28-2020 at 10:35 PM..
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 07-28-2020, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You forgot that they also come back with food.

Fractured

Old 07-28-2020, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yes they do. I also donít want to be cleaning computers inbetween every class or cleaning desks. Thatís not my job.

ChessandCheck

jakeh
Old 07-28-2020, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

jakeh, that would be awesome if you at least got paid better or something. all we have gotten directly addressed to subs was an email from hr last week that said they still need subs when everyone returns to class (which implies to me no remote coverage needed).

fractured, yeah, i don't have high hopes. i'm about 99% sure i'm not going back. i do middle school - i can't count the number of times i have watched kids crush candy and snort it off the desk, and they couldn't care less if i tell them to stop. like you, i can't imagine we can ask for help or blithely send them out and expect it to do much good. it didn't work before, and my tools for managing classes are gone due to distancing and masks.

i'm keeping my own teens home, just purchased another chromebook. i am asking myself why i would go back and expose them to risk every time i come home.
ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 07-29-2020, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Chess, it is good that you have a plan.

Renea

Old 07-29-2020, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Being a "COVID Cop" will be part of every teacher's responsibility. Every teacher would love to just teach but hundreds of other responsibilities are assigned to them. Teachers keep students safe. It's what all educators are paid to do.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 07-29-2020, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Doesn't mean giving teachers the responsibility to do it all is the best solution. There are other ways to go about doing things without dumping it all on teachers because they "are paid to keep students safe.".

CC96

Just watched
Old 07-29-2020, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I just watched an hour long video from each of two of my school districts and all I can say is the new school year, anyway you look at it looks beyond crazy. I’m really not sure what I’m going to do at this point. I feel so bad for the students and teachers ——seriously!
CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 07-29-2020, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Renea- not sure if youíve subbed before, but when the kids see you they smile and throw up their hands and say yes because they autocratically think itís going to be a ďfree day.Ē When they find out they arenít seeing a movie and have to actually work, they will leave the classroom or just test you at every turn.

It will be a constant battle for regular teachers, but it will be another impossible challenge for subs because admin usually never back us up.

Renea

Fractured
Old 07-29-2020, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Fractured, I taught full time 36 years and then subbed for five years, long term maternity positions, so I'm well aware of how children behave with both their classroom teachers and subs. When you're employed by a school district your highest priority is to protect the children and keep them safe. That comes before any instructional duties.

I'm sorry if you feel that administration never backs up subs. That was not my experience. Teaching in a classroom during this pandemic will be difficult for many teachers. If you feel unsupported there may be other employment in your area that would be more satisfactory. Subbing isn't for everyone and you deserve to be happy.

bodhimom

Old 07-29-2020, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Renea, I think you are being borderline rude. You seem to have never been through the grind of being a regular day-to-day sub. I would guess that you were a long term sub at the school you retired from. If you say differently, I would highly suspect what you say. You don't have the same experiences that most other subs have and your condescending tone isn't appreciated, at least by me.

Suggesting that someone is somehow an incompetent sub and shouldn't be in the position because they aren't supported by admin is ridiculous. Most, if not all of us, in the real world of subbing, have been I that very place.

Last edited by bodhimom; 07-29-2020 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Fixing typos

Fractured

Old 07-29-2020, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Well, I’ve been trying to become a full time teacher for several years, but I’m thinking about giving it up, esp with the covid problem and lack of jobs now. I do always make sure the kids are safe, so don’t talk down to me. I find it rude. And long term subbing is a totally different ballgame. Ever been in a place where no one knows you and no one cares because there are others to take your place?

I mainly sub in a district that is notorious for its lack of discipline. It’s basically different from one classroom to the next, as teachers enforce the rules differently. I would also say it is a district in crisis in many ways.

I enjoy some schools in my area but they pay less and the drive is longer, so I usually stick with the closer schools. Admin don’t care about us, they just want us for a warm body in the room. I’m guessing you subbed where you worked or you know the kids. That’s a rare and much better situation.

Fractured

Old 07-29-2020, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Thanks Bodhi. Iím not sure what her intent was. I find that people who are retired often get the best gigs and best classes and work in the same schools they used to teach at, so they know the kids or the admin and their world is totally different, and their job is often less of a challenge.

I am dealing with a lot of kids who come from bad home lives as well, and they usually come out of a middle school system that has either just given up on them or they have already checked out on their own.

Tapdancesub

Fractured....
Old 07-30-2020, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

You are totally correct I pretty sure Renea covers the schools or school she once worked at. As someone who has done both long term and day to day the dynamic is totally different. Especially for maternity leave-the class knows the teacher will be gone and that it is business as usual. Ive walked in cold to 2 long term jobs that the teacher suddenly left. One of them with no plan book or student work left behind. Dealing with all of that is a whole set of challenges and believe me administration was less than helpful. After 12 years of this I know my place, I know that cr@p that will be dumped on me all in the spirit of being a team player on a team Im really not a member of. Thats why I will only return to the 2 schools that have a modicum of appreciation for my efforts,if my services are needed when we return to in- class instruction.

Last edited by Tapdancesub; 07-30-2020 at 10:28 AM..
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

What do we teach how--my two cents
Old 07-31-2020, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

We've always had several challenges... many of which we (subs) share with regular teachers. One of them is the myriad and range of what we are required to teach. Add to that the reality that we really do not have a lot of choice in the what and sometimes in the how.

My teaching philosophy is that I teach students, not topics or curriculum. Curriculum is a tool. After many years of teaching I've also figured out that sometimes teaching is unintentional--both in a good and not so good way. One of my favorite "cage rattlers" years ago asked me if it wasn't a bit arrogant to assume I had the right to decide what students will learn under my direction.

There's also the challenge of enforcing school policy--particularly in an environment where policy isn't seen as being important. "Mrs. Regular Teacher lets us..." puts us in the position of deciding whether or not we will reinforce the lesson that the rules don't matter.

Beyond the obsession and hysteria, I'm not--at the moment--seeing COVID-19 as being much different. Given the uncertainties, I suspect there will be some unrealistic expectations of teachers and subs--but that's also not anything new, really. I also suspect the students are going to need a lot of support learning new policy and practice.

I wouldn't be thrilled with being a "Covid Cop" if it meant just standing in the hall and making sure every one was wearing a mask... although it would be a great opportunity to interact with students. One of my best days subbing was the day we had a bit of a school crisis (long story) and I was asked to roam the halls and be available to teachers who needed a break or students who seemed upset. I was a bit surprised to find that I did a lot of teaching.

(And I will disclose that I'm subbing in a rural school where I know most of the kids at least by sight and vice versa.)
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Well said
Old 07-31-2020, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Well said, MainSub.
Quote:
Beyond the obsession and hysteria, I'm not--at the moment--seeing COVID-19 as being much different. Given the uncertainties, I suspect there will be some unrealistic expectations of teachers and subs--but that's also not anything new, really. I also suspect the students are going to need a lot of support learning new policy and practice.
You have a wonderful perspective on teaching and what matters most.

MaineSub

Thanks, Renea!
Old 08-02-2020, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

There are plenty of distractions but I do try to keep my focus!
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 08-10-2020, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

As a sub, I think we need to be reading about our district's changes and get on board with it. That includes being a covid cop. We all need to band together.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

hebronharvest

Old 08-11-2020, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

So I was full-time for half a year and lost my job due to Covid. I haven't been hired back but have thought about subbing, though I really don't want to because I have no benefit from it after getting a full time stint and subbing in the past. I need to start my career, not back pedal.

I also have two Masters and two Bachelors. Honestly, I feel it makes more sense to leave my dream job of teaching and seek work elsewhere because a sub isn't going to help me, and like you all said, schools want a warm body. They care more about filling the position (at least I feel this way).

And I know i would in fact become a covid cop as at least one school said "need subs to move in and out of classes during covid."

Thoughts? Hopefully I find a full time between now and the start of the year but I'm not sure I'd like a full time sub job when my talent would be undermined and it does not guarantee I would get an actual teaching position in the future.

Part of the reason I believe is having two Masters... schools don't want to pay.
hebronharvest is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Guidance advice
Old 08-11-2020, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

When I was a full-time guidance counselor I used to tell my students who wanted to go Into teaching not to get their masters degrees until they had secured a position, because the districts donít want to pay for a new teacher who has little to no experience and has a masters.
CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

hebronharvest

Old 08-11-2020, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

That's what I figured but at my point I had no choice.

I've been told I interview well and that I show a lot of experience, but I still think the price tag is preventing me from going far.

bodhimom

Old 08-11-2020, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

It depends on whether all that education is something that could be applied in a different field. A lot of education sounds impressive, but what the education is in is much more important.

bodhimom

Old 08-11-2020, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Community colleges require a master's, so that may be an option. Again, depending on what it is in.

bodhimom

Old 08-11-2020, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I would also point out that just because all a sub job requires is a "warm body," doesn't mean that you can't do more than what is required.

hebronharvest

Old 08-11-2020, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Good point. My graduate degrees aren't far off from my bachelors. I got an MA in English and Creative Writing and my Masters in Education.

For bachelors, I have English and Communication. I decided to enter the work field then become a teacher. For three years I worked in a business.

I concentrated on video production as well and do it for fun on the side.

bodhimom

Old 08-12-2020, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I would go for the community college. I don't know what else you could do with English and education degrees, and with the added computer knowledge, I would think it would be a shoe-in.