Help

Special Education

Sped distance learning

>

Haley23

Sped distance learning
Old 08-20-2020, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are in person, but being told to prepare to go remote at any time. In general, expectations are way, way higher than the spring, for both teachers and students.

My school put together the general remote learning plan the other day and it's basically like a regular school day . Students will be on and off zoom all day (total of about 3.5-4 hours synchronous instruction per day) and the rest of the time be doing asynchronous work with teachers available for help.

My sped director originally said on those days, we'd be "running our schedules on zoom." I didn't think many kids would show up for that, but I figured at least I'd know what I was doing on those days...

Like everything else, that changed. Now we have to contact every parent and develop a remote learning plan for each student. We're supposed to ask the parent what they want the sped services to look like . I predict most still won't do anything anyway. They're saying everything "counts" this time and grades will be taken, but elementary kids don't care about grades anyway, and since we're standards based grading, parents don't really either (they're not getting a traditional A-F that parents would relate to).

I was just curious to see what other sped teachers are doing in remote learning this time around and if it's different than what you did in the spring.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

Old 08-20-2020, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here goes...we are face to face...5 days a week with an option to stay home and learn through live streaming by a camera in the teachers classroom.

Sped teachers are the same and will use either the camera or Google meet to meet IEP min.

We are also being told to prepare to go 100% virtual at any time. We are being told if that happens...we will still have to come in and teach at school.

We have to contact parents and explain how services will be delivered if we go 100% virtual...by a camera or Google meet...if parents want less min or different min on different days...we can change it with our I 10 form...with the two services listed...at school and at home.

I have 12 students at school and 5 virtual.
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Special ed and Zoom lessons
Old 08-21-2020, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I haven't quite figured mine out yet. We're going all remote, but every elementary class in the school is supposed to do the same subject at the same time. So, for example, everyone teaches math from 10:00-11:15 on Zoom.
As a resource teacher, I don't know how I'm supposed to teach more than one grade level during that time. The students in my classes have beginning first grade to fifth grade level skills and goals for this year - I obviously can't teach them all at the same time. I offered some suggestions and I'm waiting for some answers. I briefly considered asking parents but yeah, that just doesn't seem like a good idea.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-21-2020, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the replies. I'm toying with the idea of rather than leaving it open ended, asking parents to choose synchronous or asynchronous for their student (explaining what those mean, obviously). If they have really specific concerns maybe we can work around those. I think 80% of them are probably just going to tell me how busy they are and how they can't possibly do any of the above. Not sure what I'm going to say to that. We have a meeting with my P on Monday to discuss this and that's one of the questions I plan to ask her!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

CircleQ

Old 08-23-2020, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are using K12 Online Platform. It is geared more to teaching at a high level, but lesson activities can be uploaded. I am creating a Bitmoji Classroom and links to do asynchronous activities. We do not have a teacher schedule or student schedule yet. So, I am creating lesson plans based on last year student schedule. It's a lot of thoughts and work to prepare and implement our lessons online. I hope everyone has a successful new teaching experience

CircleQ is offline   Reply With Quote

sped91

Typical school day but remote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We are remote, but following a typical school day calendar. Teachers do instruction over zoom, then provide asynchronous activities to go along with the lesson. Supplies/packets are being dropped off by school bus every other week.

My schedule looks a lot like it normally would. I made it so it would flip to in person easily. All my students have visual schedules that I've made with links to their various zooms and asynchronous activities. I teach self-contained cross-cat, so I've spent a lot of time working with parents over zoom on how to work with their kids.

Our resource teacher is going into classroom teacher zooms and taking her students into a breakout room to work with them, so they don't have to worry about going to a different zoom for services.

I spend most of my day on zoom working with small groups or individuals. I have one student who won't come on, so I've been sending asynchronous activities until we can figure out a plan. We are rewriting that student's IEP for remote, but the rest are staying the same since I can meet minutes through synchronous and asynchronous instruction.
sped91 is offline   Reply With Quote